Interest check - Black Crusade (40k)

Started by HairyHeretic, September 03, 2011, 08:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HairyHeretic

For those who don't know it, Black Crusade is the upcoming (hopefully this month) RPG from FFG, set in the Warhammer 40,000 universe. While their previous RPGs have allowed you to play acolytes of the Inquisition, Rogue Traders and Space Marines, Black Crusade turns the game around, letting you play the forces of Chaos ... Chaos Space Marines, Hereteks of the Dark Mechanicus and human followers of the Ruinous Powers.

I will be very interested in having a go at this when it comes out, and want to see if anyone else is up for a bit of damnation or glory :) Ideally I would much rather play than GM. Most likely as a Night Lords CSM.

Anyone else feel like dealing death and damnation to the lackeys of the carrion god?  >:)
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

AndyZ

I've played one game of Dark Heresy, a few games of Rogue Trader and a oneshot based on the system for Deathwatch.  So I'd be up for trying it out but my knowledge of the setting is limited.  Nonetheless, I'll bookmark.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Malixe

I have experience similar to Andy's ^^. However I'd be very interested in participating in something like this!

meikle

Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

HairyHeretic

*looks at the pic*

Rather than playing that guy, would you want it as a minion? I could see that being something like a weapons servitor for a Nurgle aligned Heretek from the Dark Mechanicus .. someone who has fun crafting flesh, technology and deamonic essence into something new.

Black Crusade allows the PCs (according to the stuff on the FFG site) to purchase and customise minions that can help cover the area's that they're weak in.

A knowledge of 40k, and in particular the forces of Chaos would definitely help in playing.

I can recommend a few novels
The Night Lords ones by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, Soul Hunter and Blood Reaver. They feature the Night Lords.
The Word Bearers novels by Anthony Reynolds, Dark Apostle, Dark Disciple and Dark Creed. These are about the Word Bearers.
The Soul Drinkers ones by Ben Counter, Soul Drinker, The Bleeding Chalice and Crimson Tears, which shows how a loyal chapter can fall (though it does need a bit of suspension of disbelief at times)
Blood Gorgons by Henry Zou, about a renegade chapter.
Most of the stuff in these focuses around various Chaos Space Marines.

The more human followers haven't gotten any real major lines of their own, but there is some stuff in the Gaunts Ghosts novels, and the various Inquisition ones.

It might even be possible to cobble together rules for Orks or Dark Eldar, as both of those would work with Chaos. Maybe even the Kroot mercenaries, lifting those from Rogue Trader.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

PuddingDragon

I'd definitely like to join, preferably as a tech priestess of the dark mechanicum. My knowledge of the imperium is limited, but I've read up on the codexes of chaos, and am fairly knowledgable as far as is necessary.
Always open to any RP, so feel free to come calling if you're a member down! ^^

Malixe

Yes! Wonderful, I know exactly where to find these ^^. I understand their concept and the whole chaos base. Though, a good few things my betters say go right over my head.

AndyZ

I have a feeling that anyone who runs this would be less informed than Hairy.  That said, it'd probably be acceptable either to make things up or to just talk over your ideas with your betters so that it's fresh and new for this game.

Personally, on top of this, I'd love to play in an actual Deathwatch game.  However, I have a feeling that the new video game coming out will sate me for that.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

meikle

Quote from: HairyHeretic on September 04, 2011, 07:08:28 AMRather than playing that guy, would you want it as a minion? I could see that being something like a weapons servitor for a Nurgle aligned Heretek from the Dark Mechanicus .. someone who has fun crafting flesh, technology and deamonic essence into something new.

Black Crusade allows the PCs (according to the stuff on the FFG site) to purchase and customise minions that can help cover the area's that they're weak in.

I'll be honest, I just GISed 'plague marine' and posted the most evocative picture I found on the first page.

(The response it evoked was 'Bleuuugh!')

O and O and Discord
A and A

HairyHeretic

I expect I'd be capable of running a game, but I'd just like to play. If I do run it, I'd most likely start with the couple of introductary adventures, to ease people into the game.

I expect a Plague Marine will be doable .. whether it's an actual package, or a build your own via advancements I don't know. This would give you a better image for a Plague Marine

Or this

http://taytonclait.deviantart.com/art/Plague-Marine-Colours-151296126

There's some nice bits and pieces here

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Chaos

Cattle die, kinsmen die

PuddingDragon

Oh, wait, if this is an RPG, I'm out, but if it's a regular rp, I'm good.
Always open to any RP, so feel free to come calling if you're a member down! ^^

HairyHeretic

I was intending to use the actual rulebook, yes.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wargtass

Just got the book myself, would be interesting to try it out before I coax my regular players into playing it. =p

Count me interested.
O/O

HairyHeretic

I think we get it over here a week or two after the release in the States. How's it look? :)

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wargtass

A bud who was at GenCon got it for me and shipped it. He himself finds the Warhammer RPGs despicable, but I threw some extra money at him and he made sure he could send it to me.  :P So yeah, it's not really commonly available here either. But it looks awesome, and I am genuinely happy with a lot of the changes they have done. As said I haven't play-tested it yet, still writing a scenario for it, but made some characters with the players today and found it pretty smooth and clean.
O/O

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Wargtass

Guess I could GM, it's what I work with, after all, and a passion to boot!  ^-^

Give me a couple of days and I can bring you a scenario to play and some instructions on how to create a character, etc.
O/O

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

BraveEarth

Did I read right that it has rules for Cultists and Chaos Marines? And I'm curious as to the method at which they are balanced

Wargtass

The balance is as such:

- Chaos Space Marines are truly fearsome in power, but basically a bit stuck in their archetypes. Just saying, a Chosen will not be very good in a social situation.

- Heretics are more flexible and have a broader base to build from. Not to mention that they are more likely to go unseen in a sneaky situation.

- Technically the CSM will have a lot of pros from the start, what with all the implants and of course, the Power Armour and better weaponry. However, they are a bit weak in the skills department, while Heretics have lots (and I do mean LOOOTS) of more skills to start out with. Not to mention, the Heretics gain 1000 starting xp while CSM get 500.

All in all it still means that pointswise the CSM will be a 8000 xp character from start while the Heretics are 7000 xp characters. However, my friend who is an expert in researching power play potential (he has helped design one of the major RPGs in Sweden and is quite adept at play testing) sat down with me yesterday and tried it out. His idea is that while CSM will be power house to begin with, a Heretic has more potential as a resourceful member in the group. If you want something to slay through hordes of enemies (not speaking of the "Horde" enemy type here) then the CSM will serve you well, but if you need more guile and skill to manage through a game the Heretic is generally a better choice.

All in all I think they are pretty well balanced to which roles they are supposed to have, so in the end it comes down to personal opinion.

Hope that answers your question.
O/O

BraveEarth

Ahh I figured as much. I also wonder how similar the rules of Sorcery are going to be compared to the Psychic Power rules that I know of. Although I only know of the Rogue Trader and Dark Heresy way. The method of Librarians in Deathwatch I would have to look up.... which I am going to do... -wanders off to do so-

HairyHeretic

Are deamonic weapons viable from the get go? Or are they something you have to earn / craft?

Cattle die, kinsmen die

AndyZ

Quote from: Wargtass on September 08, 2011, 03:48:36 AM
The balance is as such:

- Chaos Space Marines are truly fearsome in power, but basically a bit stuck in their archetypes. Just saying, a Chosen will not be very good in a social situation.

- Heretics are more flexible and have a broader base to build from. Not to mention that they are more likely to go unseen in a sneaky situation.

- Technically the CSM will have a lot of pros from the start, what with all the implants and of course, the Power Armour and better weaponry. However, they are a bit weak in the skills department, while Heretics have lots (and I do mean LOOOTS) of more skills to start out with. Not to mention, the Heretics gain 1000 starting xp while CSM get 500.

All in all it still means that pointswise the CSM will be a 8000 xp character from start while the Heretics are 7000 xp characters. However, my friend who is an expert in researching power play potential (he has helped design one of the major RPGs in Sweden and is quite adept at play testing) sat down with me yesterday and tried it out. His idea is that while CSM will be power house to begin with, a Heretic has more potential as a resourceful member in the group. If you want something to slay through hordes of enemies (not speaking of the "Horde" enemy type here) then the CSM will serve you well, but if you need more guile and skill to manage through a game the Heretic is generally a better choice.

All in all I think they are pretty well balanced to which roles they are supposed to have, so in the end it comes down to personal opinion.

Hope that answers your question.

Sounds like a CSM would be more my thing.

My knowledge of the universe is limited, so being able to go "Rawr!  Smash!" is more for me.

Space Marines, Chaos or not, can only be male, correct?

meikle

The Space Marine geneseed is a male-only thing, yeah.

Not that I imagine it matters what was in their pants to begin with after ten thousand years hanging out in the Warp.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Wargtass

Daemonic weapons is a earning/crafty kinda deal, but there will be plenty of opportunities to earn/craft them, I assure you.

CSM and SM are Male only, although certain mutations can have some radical changes to that (Slaanesh is a helluva joker).

The fact is that "modern" SM have no junk at all. However, alot of CSM are about 10,000 years or older, that is Heresy Era, in which they still possessed junk. The better to rape, pillage and kill the slaves of the Corpse Emperor (not necessarily in that order).

Been compiling an adventure now, which is done and all, just have to make a checklist for the system itself. But come monday I should be able to post up a character creation guide.
O/O