News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Joint Commission needs stories of bad LGBTQ healthcare

Started by Star Safyre, November 12, 2010, 06:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Star Safyre

http://lgbttobacco.wordpress.com/2010/10/25/joint-commission-needs-stories-of-bad-lgbtq-healthcare/

Many members of the LGBT community must deal with hassles and inconveniences that many would find reprehensible.  The Joint Commission, which accredit hospitals and community health centers, is now taking personal accounts of poor treatment of LGBT in the health care system.  They're creating a "toolkit" for health care workers and doctors to aid in their ability to correctly serve LGBT individuals, and they need input to know just what we're experiencing out there.

The website above has the email to share personal accounts with The Joint Commission.  To help ensure better care in the future, please consider sharing your story with them.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Callie Del Noire

What about that poor woman that died in a hospital a few years ago and they (the hospital) wouldn't let the poor woman's spouse back to be with her (or their children) because that particular state didn't recognize their marriage. Dying alone is a terrible way to die. Particularly when your wife and kids are close by. (Even if you're NOT married in that state..they'd have let common law spouses back there)

Pumpkin Seeds

I think they are making more of a reference to the actual treatment and healthcare this community receives.  Not sure Joint Commission would be able to account for the other areas such as right of visitation and what constitutes a family member.

Jude

It doesn't hurt to add those anecdotes too.  The larger society needs to hear them because this is how we build sympathy which becomes fuel for our cause.  This is excellent news, and I for one applaud them for taking this step forward.