The Caning of Charles Sumner

Started by Beorning, May 22, 2023, 11:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Yesterday, I read this article on a certain 1856 incident:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caning_of_Charles_Sumner

I've never heard of it before... I admit I found it quite shocking.  :o

What I'm wondering is: exactly how unusual and shocking was it to the people in 19th century? This is the era when some people still resolved duels by arguments. So, how much uncommon was it for one "gentleman" to beat another with a cane? Was it unheard of completely - or was it something that was considered somewhat acceptable by some people?

Anyway, I must say that I have trouble wrapping my head around the fact the people involved in that incident actually got away with it! Based on the article, Sumner was nearly killed - meanwhile, neither the man who beat him nor the man who *held people trying to stop this at gunpoint* really suffered. Ugh.  >:(

Missy

Well, I can't say I've ever heard of a more civilized society than America.

*snorts and mutters* "barbarism, damn raving lunatics" *shakes head in disbelief*

Oniya

As you point out, this was the era when dueling (although technically illegal) was a socially accepted way for two people to settle a dispute 'of honor'.  In the article, it mentioned that one reason this didn't turn into 'pistols at 10 paces' was the perceived difference in social class.  The 'caner' was not going to dignify the 'canee's' affront by making it a duel between equals.

While you say that neither Brooks nor Keitt 'really suffered', you're skipping over the fact that they did face consequences.  Keitt was censured, and resigned in protest.  Brooks was convicted of assault, and fined an amount equivalent to about $9,000 in modern currency.  The fact that both won subsequent elections should answer the question about whether or not 'some people' found their actions either 'somewhat acceptable' or at least 'trivial'.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

ninjawriter

At the time in the US?  Not very unusual at all.  There'd been another fistfight a few years earlier over the Kansas-Nebraska Act between a couple of congressmembers.  In the lead-up to the US Civil War, political violence occurred in many states at all levels of government and society.  Specifically, "Bleeding Kansas," which was a low-level civil conflict in the Kansas Territory over the issue of slavery.  But even outside Kansas, politicians and journalists would be "tarred and feathered" and "run out on a rail" with some regularity.