Australia's Game Ratings, updated

Started by Sabby, February 26, 2010, 01:41:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

A bit of background here. Australia has no adult rating for video games, but does for film and music and such. The most outspoken person against the introduction of one is a man named Michael Atkinson. Sadly, he has a vote in the issue, and you need a majority in order to pass it.

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/02/25/update-r18-petition

Quote from: Game PoliticsA story on Monday detailed the submission to the Australian government of an EB Games and Grow Up Australia sponsored petition advocating the addition of an R18+ rating category.

Well, it turns out that a larger number was missing from that story, as over 30,000 people hand-signed the petition in EB Games retail outlets reports Adelaide Now. Combined with the 16,000 plus who virtually signed the document online, the petition was submitted with over 46,000 citizens backing it, a rather significant figure that hopefully Australian politicians will have to think twice about before dismissing.

Steve Wilson, Managing Director of EB Games, stated:

This groundswell of support has proven in no uncertain terms and once and for all, that there is not just a minority calling for this change, but rather everyday Australians.

This is good news! Reading down the comments, I'm seeing a lot of tidbits that suggest Atkinson is becoming far more hated by his fellow politicians, and may be facing the sack. While I'm as intrigued as anyone else at how he would stack up as Jack Thompson's replacement, I'd rather see him have a stroke, really.

TheWriter

QuoteThe most outspoken person against the introduction of one is a man named Michael Atkinson.
Guess what, Sabby?  He quit.

Kip

Three more years and then he may stop blocking!

We can but hope that he'll step aside for someone to take his role.

"You say good start, I say perfect ending. 
This world has no heart and mine is beyond mending."
~Jay Brannan~

"Am I an angel or a monster?  A hero or a villian? Why can't I see the difference?"
~Mohinder Suresh~

TheWriter

Again, he quit.  He has stopped blocking.  He's no longer the Attorney General for SA; he has stepped aside to be a backbencher.  He'll leave Parliament altogether in 2014, but him leaving AG is immediate.  He's no longer in the way of reforms.  The most vocal and powerful opponent of ratings reform has quit; and considering the backlash he got, very few people in power will have the courage to take up his cause.  R18+ games may be just around the corner.

Also, gotta love the poll on that article:
QuoteAre you happy that Michael Atkinson will no longer be South Australia's Attorney-General?
    * Yes 96.52% (1193 votes)
    * No 3.48% (43 votes)

Sabby

And he was doing his best to slander Gamers 4 Croydan too... it doesn't make a whole lotta sense, that he would quit now. I laughed when I read his reasons though xD I'm sure that spending time with his family is right up there on his list of reasons (not being sarcastic btw) but it all seems a lil sugar coated, like he's trying to divert attention from the blunders that lead to all this.

He went from foam flecked, ranting old man clinging desperately to the 60's to "Ahh, change is awesome. Lets let the youth have a crack at politics"

Sabby

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2010/03/24/atkinson%E2%80%99s-replacement-announced

Quote from: GamePoliticsWhile it was originally thought that it might take up to two weeks for a replacement to be named for departing South Australian Attorney General Michael Atkinson, it's only taken a handful of days.

South Australian Premier Mike Rann has named fellow Labor Party member John Rau (pictured) as South Australian Attorney General. A lawyer by training, Rau has served in government since 2002 and was just re-elected as a candidate for Enfield, garnering 53.0 percent of the vote. In his profile page on the ALP site, Rau is described as “married with three children,” and a “keen gardener, cook and avid reader of non-fiction.”

That’s all well and good, but what about his thoughts on R18+? GamePron points us to a Tweet from Gamers4Croydon President Chris Prior for the answer to that important question. Prior wrote:

Quote from: PriorNew SA Attorney-General is John Rau, a supporter or the R18+ classification for games (and a nice guy, to boot)
Premier Rann offered some more thoughts on Rau to ABC, describing the new Attorney General as well qualified for the position, adding, “He has and he's served on the backbench, he's a very distinguished barrister, his knowledge of jurisprudence is without exception in this state and I look forward to working with him.”

Could things be turning around for Australian gamers?

Looks like Christmas could be early this year ^^