News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup 2014

Started by consortium11, May 12, 2014, 10:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleph

Yeah bit of a Messi fan here too. Can't help but feel that Iran were unlucky that Argentina found a single hole in the bus they parked though. They did a great defensive job for 90 minutes.

By the way guys, it's not the spiders you have to worry about.

It's the spiders, the snakes, the octopi... ;)  *personally I freak out over huntsmen so I'm no good.*

Aleph

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on June 21, 2014, 12:00:47 PM
"The climate is perfect!"

"The stadiums are awesome!"

"WHAT THE FUCK IS THAT THING?!?!?!?!"

*Grins* I'd so go to Australia if the World Cup goes there!

"The coffee is how much??!?!?!?!?!"  >:)

Oniya

Quote from: Aleph on June 21, 2014, 12:59:49 PM
Yeah bit of a Messi fan here too. Can't help but feel that Iran were unlucky that Argentina found a single hole in the bus they parked though. They did a great defensive job for 90 minutes.

By the way guys, it's not the spiders you have to worry about.

It's the spiders, the snakes, the octopi... ;)  *personally I freak out over huntsmen so I'm no good.*

I saw a documentary once on the top ten deadliest animals.  I think eight of the segments started with 'We're here in Australia...' and I'm pretty sure the other two started with 'G'day!'  ;D
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Aleph

Quote from: Oniya on June 21, 2014, 01:17:52 PM
I saw a documentary once on the top ten deadliest animals.  I think eight of the segments started with 'We're here in Australia...' and I'm pretty sure the other two started with 'G'day!'  ;D

Douglas Adams once wrote: "The second confusing thing about Australia are the animals. They can be divided into three categories: Poisonous, Odd, and Sheep. It is true that of the 10 most poisonous arachnids on the planet, Australia has 9 of them. Actually, it would be more accurate to say that of the 9 most poisonous arachnids, Australia has all of them. However, there are curiously few snakes, possibly because the spiders have killed them all. "

This is mostly true and well worth sharing anyway. Douglas Adam's guide to Australia.

Deamonbane

Hmmm you guys may have the most poisonous spiders, but Brazil has the worst snakes...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Aleph

Not sure about that, the King Brown, Taipan, red-bellied black are all at the top of that list, but TBH, I think the top of the list is all a bit pointless, it's all "You're dead if it bites you.".

Until evolution produces a snake that poisons you, then posts all your embarrassing selfies to twitter at once or something, dead is about as bad as it gets. :)

Phobetor

.....Okay....so....um....I changed my mind. The World Cup needs to come to the USA because I'm not visiting Australia lol Not unless I'm in a bubble.  ;D
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Dashenka

Best to give it to Russia twice in a row. Absolutely nothing that can kill you in Russia.  O:)
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Falanor

Quote from: Dashenka on June 21, 2014, 02:50:03 PM
Best to give it to Russia twice in a row. Absolutely nothing that can kill you in Russia.  O:)

Dashenka

Hahahahaha Rofl... that is an epic gif... :D
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Oniya

Quote from: Dashenka on June 21, 2014, 02:50:03 PM

There's always the post-goal vodka slams...

Of course, that can kill you in any country, if your team does well enough.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Remiel

Here are my thoughts on Friday's games:

Japan vs. the swarthy, bearded men of Greece: Japan was the better team here.  Even without losing a player to a red card, Greece didn't have the talent that Japan did.  Unfortunately, the Japanese simply couldn't close the deal.  Japan should have won this match, but they'll have to settle for the scoreless draw.

Italy vs. Costa Rica
: Did Italy just have a bad day?  Were they exhausted from playing in the Amazon?  Whatever the case, Costa Rica (population 4.8 million) brought the pressure hard and consistently, and they deserved the win and the three points.  Granted, I have a bias toward CONCACAF teams, but I'm absolutely loving the fact that Costa Rica, the Team that Nobody Took Seriously in the Group of Death, is sitting pretty atop the group in first place while England is going home and Uruguay and Italy have to fight for second place.

Switzerland vs. France:  The late goal by Xhaka was a thing of beauty, but France simply dominated the Swiss, as they did Honduras before them.  Karim Benzema is an animal, an absolute animal.  Remember when I asked how far France could go without Ribery?  Turns out, the answer is: probably pretty far.

Honduras vs. Ecuador: A scrappy match that could have gone either way.  Honestly, I thought Honduras deserved the win, or at least the tie.  Enner Valencia deserves mention for his two goals, though.

Only three more games to go before I'm all caught up! Batten down the hatches, it's going to be a long night!

Remiel

Group F: Argentina vs. Iran

Take me by the tongue and I'll know you,
Kiss me 'till you're drunk and I'll show you
All the moves like Dejagah
I got the moves like Dejagah
I got the moves like Dejagah

Sorry.  I don't know whether it was Iran putting up a world-class defense, or lack of creativity from Aguero and Higain, but Argentina just kept running over and over into the brick wall that was Iran.  Of course, it was Mr. Magic himself, Lionel Messi, who came up with an impossible game-winning goal in stoppage time, but if I was an Argentine fan, I'd be very worried.  Argentina will advance to the round of 16, but will they falter once they get there?

The Better Team Was...  Iran.  Sorry, but I have to say it.  Any team that can frustrate a high-octane Argentine offense for 90 minutes while generating scoring opportunities of its own deserves special mention.

Man of the Match:  Lionel Messi.  But how far can he go carrying his entire team on his shoulders?

kylie

I've been busy or selective, but finally saw France v. Switzerland.  Knowing the scores before I usually get to see the games sort of messes with things, but still something to see. 

Was a little surprised Giroud didn't get called for that early challenge that injured the defender, but I didn't really review it and may be biased by some of the reporting elsewhere?  I dunno.  Generally though, I felt the refs were very hands-off in this game.  Almost as if they were being too careful not to make the kind of bad calls that had happened in earlier games, and going to the opposite extreme -- making no calls, when they sometimes should have?

The first half moved so fast it was fun just to follow what was happening.  8-) 

I still felt like both teams could have probably switched the ball around and used the wings a little more.  I was impressed how much they faked and changed things up in close quarters, and how much they played the ball in the air.  Personally I tend to think ground passes are often more reliable than so many headers and packing more people into small areas (if a few more passes in front of the goals had been more on target ahem)...  But maybe that is what happens when both sides have a thick center defense clogging up the middle so much.

Switzerland did a lower altitude, but still wasteful rendition of the Ghana performance -- with way too many balls too far over/away from the goal bars.  And paid for that dearly, among other things.

The goals were pretty awesome, though.  I always hated trying to get half volleys right (never mind headers) in high school, so those still impress me a lot if people can turn and score on a volley.  Especially under any sort of pressure, which there usually was at least some.

Remiel

Group G: Germany vs. Ghana

The Better Team Was... Neither.  Both teams impressed me, and both teams deserved to win.  It's really a shame that Ghana will most likely not make it to the elimination stages, because I believe they are the best African team in the tournament.

Man of the Match: There are so many players to choose from: Gotze, Mueller, Asamoah, Ayew, Gyan.  But I'm going to give this one to Ghana's Asamoah Gyan for his explosive presence on the field.  However, I was really happy to see Miroslav Klose credited for the goal that tied Ronaldo's record for the most World Cup goals in history.

Only one game behind!  Bosnia-Herzegovina vs. Nigeria next!

Deamonbane

I hate Klose a little bit...
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Remiel

Group F: Bosnia-Herzegovina vs. Nigeria

The Better Team Was... This one could have gone either way, but there is no doubt that Bosnia was robbed of a goal.  Nigeria had more shots on goal, but Bosnia dominated possession.  With an incorrect offside call that resulted in Edin Dzeko's (BOS) goal called back, and a questionable nudge by Emmanuel Emanike (NGR) on Bosnian defender Emir Spahic that should have arguably disqualified Peter Odemwingie's (NGR) goal, the Bosnians have a legitimate complaint.  Dzeko had an opportunity to equalize late in the game but his shot was knocked into the post by Nigerian goalkeeper Enyeama.

Man of the Match:  The linesman who incorrectly ruled Dzeko's goal offside, and thus knocked Bosnia-Herzegovina out of the World Cup.

Deamonbane

I don't think you can name a Linesman the Man of the Match *grins*

Remiel

Oh man. We're down 1-0 at the half, but we're playing so much better than we did against Ghana.  Yes, that was a very sloppy concession by Cameron, but we're already handling the ball better, making smarter plays, and creating more opportunities.  And that was a world-class save by Tim Howard.  C'mon, USA, we can do this!!!

Deamonbane

You can't miss shots like that, but hell yeah, what a save by Howard...

Deamonbane

Bradley! What the serious Fuck?

apygoos

goddamn literal last second goal makes us tie rather than win, now USA HAS to trump Germany to move on.

Deamonbane

Well... Portugal needs to win by 5 goals or more to get over them... so the real problem for the US is Ghana...

gaggedLouise

Holy crap - first Dempsey's goal and then Ronaldo saving Portugal in the very last half minute of extra time! What a sensational goal...  :-)

Throwing a quick glance at the knockout stage schedule: if Germany beats the US (likely?) and either the US or Portugal moves on as second in the group, the runner-up will most likely meet Belgium, and the winning team from that one, in turn, likely get pitted against Argentina.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Remiel

One minute.

That is the difference between a complete US triumph, knocking out Portugal and having a guaranteed ticket to the second round... and having it all pulled away, knowing we have to fight for our lives in our hardest match yet against Germany.

One.  Minute.

We kept Ronaldo toothless for 94 minutes.  Then one incredible crossing pass, one header by Varela, and our world is turned upside down.

Well, I suppose we have to look at the positives.  We're still alive, and we played so much better than we did against Ghana.  I believe the US was, in fact, the better team that played today.  And there's an outside chance we could have Altidore back again when we face Germany on Thursday.

But still...

One more minute.