Exalted (Mostly an Interest Check)

Started by AlexStone, June 19, 2011, 11:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Muse

Working on a dawn caste Delzhan captain. 

Gurrk... 

Did I just get assigned Night again? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Muse

Also, is the Scroll of Errata in use? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

AlexStone

If you want Dawn, you can have Dawn.  And, yes for Errata.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: AlexStone on June 23, 2011, 08:42:55 PM
I think the first question has been answered pretty well. (Depends!) Though, for another dot, you can have Yoroi armor in the Magical Material of your choice.

Wait, you can?!  So Yoroi powered armor, for four dots, gains Magical Material bonuses?  I wanna make sure you have this right, and that you're allowing me to do this...

A Reaver diaklave looks pretty slashy to me.  What MA are you curious about?  If you want an up-down ruling on if X works with Y, Y might be the place to look, too. 

I was asking about Even Blade Style...but if I'm going to go the armored warrior route, then it depends on how you classify Yoroi Armor (Light, medium, heavy).  I might take a couple of Martial Arts charms, but it's really going to depend on what you say about the weight of Yoroi Armor.

50 XP to start.  And let's just do double background points for now, and see where that gets us.  Remember you have to devote some into actually controlling your Realm- otherwise, you're in charge, and everyone basically is just pretending you're right.  (Backing and/or Influence, Contacts to represent spies, etc.)  As to raising backgrounds in play, if you want to work on that, just ping me and we'll write it into the plot.

How exactly is that going to work for Dragonbloods, if I may ask?  Terrestrials don't get Contacts or Influence...and I'm not sure about Backing, either.

I'm still pondering this whole merits and flaws thing.  I'm not sure they add all that much.

They do add a degree of roleplaying/story hooks into the mix.  Take Zaer's char, who is wanted by the Realm.  Once the Realm finds out she's been hiding in Chiaroscuro, they'll want her that much more badly.

Muse

*Grins* 

Thank you.  I was about too throw this away and start making one of my super detective/social beast night castes that I play all the time because I never have a chance too be muscle.  :) 

meikle

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:49:24 PM
They do add a degree of roleplaying/story hooks into the mix.  Take Zaer's char, who is wanted by the Realm.  Once the Realm finds out she's been hiding in Chiaroscuro, they'll want her that much more badly.

I would argue (and I am going to argue, right now) that you can handle exactly that kind of plot hook without representing it mechanically.

In fact, I would argue that it is more interesting to put that into the background and then allow the storyteller to introduce it when it seems appropriate, rather than rolling a die at the beginning of a session/story and trying to shoehorn things in based on that roll.

Generally speaking, merits and flaws don't add anything that can't be added by roleplaying, and otherwise offer insignificant benefits (most merits), incredibly overpowered benefits (the appearance one), bypass assumptions elsewhere in the game (merits allow you to be more virtuous than the Unconquered Sun, flaws changed the way Resources works to make it even less useful and add an addition surcharge to it), and just generally get in the way of things.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

ReijiTabibito

You raise an interesting point, but I've always had Merits and Flaws in my Exalted games.  It's a part of the White Wolf system (starting with OWoD), with the exception of Scion because there's simply no system like that in place.  Plus, it gives you more points to make your characters powerful, which it sounds like we're going to need if we're taking on the Realm.

AlexStone

Reiji- before we get too much further into this, are you all in on a Dragon-Blooded?  I mean, there's a slot for a Sidereal or a Lunar.  In fact, I'm not totally sure just who is in and who I've managed to drive off, so there might be a Solar we need, too. 

meikle

Then the way to approach it is just to give more points, not to give people arbitrary numbers of points for things that they would have taken anyway (like the rival we're all supposed to have).

Every system has things that do not work well, and 'tradition' isn't a very strong logical argument for their inclusion.

I don't think merits and flaws encourage roleplaying at all, but instead just push players more strongly toward severe optimization.

O and O and Discord
A and A

ReijiTabibito

No, I'm not.  A Lookshyan Terrestrial is currently one of my frontrunners, but the Chosen of Secrets Gold Faction Sid is my other.  Lunars are fun...but damn are the rules complicated for them.

AlexStone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:56:11 PM
You raise an interesting point, but I've always had Merits and Flaws in my Exalted games.  It's a part of the White Wolf system (starting with OWoD), with the exception of Scion because there's simply no system like that in place.  Plus, it gives you more points to make your characters powerful, which it sounds like we're going to need if we're taking on the Realm.

Throw me a story hook in your background, get XP.  Have a flaw that you play out, especially to your detriment, get XP.  Want to be more seductive?  Roleplay and get stunt dice.  I think this is a better solution than another system- it fits the themes of the game better, too.

ReijiTabibito

Yes, but XP doesn't help the character as much as BP, and XP is a decidedly much more subjective thing because it gets handed out by a person (no offense meant to you, Alex, just saying) rather than an established point value in a book.

And I might be wrong, but I don't think we'd be having this argument if Zaer didn't take the Merits that he did.  I certainly don't hear any arguments against the Flaws he took.  Plus, it's not like everyone has to use Merits and Flaws, they can skip that step entirely.

meikle

They can skip it entirely.

Which puts that at an incredibly severe disadvantage for the reason you just cited!

Hence, tends towards optimization rather than roleplay.

And I am arguing against all merits and flaws taken by anybody for any reason because they're that messy, but I approve of Alex's ruling so life is good.

O and O and Discord
A and A

ReijiTabibito

This is not your mama's RP.  This is not D&D.  This is Exalted.  You're supposed to be able to do crazy batshit insane things and get away with it because you're just that powerful and awesome.

And if we're not using M&F, someone will have to tell Zaer since he built his char with that in mind.

And just double-checking, what changes to character creation do we have at this point?

AlexStone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 09:03:59 PM
No, I'm not.  A Lookshyan Terrestrial is currently one of my frontrunners, but the Chosen of Secrets Gold Faction Sid is my other.  Lunars are fun...but damn are the rules complicated for them.

In that case, I'll answer your previously posed questions, to let you make a better decision. 
Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:49:24 PM
Wait, you can?!  So Yoroi powered armor, for four dots, gains Magical Material bonuses?  I wanna make sure you have this right, and that you're allowing me to do this...

I was asking about Even Blade Style...but if I'm going to go the armored warrior route, then it depends on how you classify Yoroi Armor (Light, medium, heavy).  I might take a couple of Martial Arts charms, but it's really going to depend on what you say about the weight of Yoroi Armor.

How exactly is that going to work for Dragonbloods, if I may ask?  Terrestrials don't get Contacts or Influence...and I'm not sure about Backing, either.

I'm willing to let you, at the cost of a whole 'nother dot, have a special suit of Yoroi armor made of Jade (Or Starmetal, or Soulsteel, or what have you.)  With the additional stipulation that you give it a cool name.

For Even Blades, a Reaver Daiklave is inappropriate.  It's too bulky, since it's described as a "Speed" style.  Though I think I'd be okay with Yoroi armor with it- though, anything bigger is probably not going to work.

And Terrestrials get those backgrounds now.  At least, the PCs do.

meikle

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 09:13:37 PM
This is not your mama's RP.  This is not D&D.  This is Exalted.  You're supposed to be able to do crazy batshit insane things and get away with it because you're just that powerful and awesome.

Which is not the same thing as 'you should just shit all over the system'.

O and O and Discord
A and A

AlexStone

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 09:13:37 PM

And if we're not using M&F, someone will have to tell Zaer since he built his char with that in mind.

And just double-checking, what changes to character creation do we have at this point?

My major problem is that they're fundamentally redundant- it all can and should be handled in another way.  Redundancy leads to complexity, complexity leads to corner cases, corner cases lead to fear, fear leads to hate, hate leads to.. whatever Palpatine says. 

If Zaer writes up his flaws as background, he'll get enough XP to make up his dot shortfall.  And every time someone comes after him for the bounty on his head, he'll get XP.  And every time he goes chasing some ass, especially when he really should do something else, XP.  It's a gift that keeps on giving. 

So, regular CC, plus double Backgrounds, plus 50 XP.

ReijiTabibito

Quote from: AlexStone on June 23, 2011, 09:15:09 PM
I'm willing to let you, at the cost of a whole 'nother dot, have a special suit of Yoroi armor made of Jade (Or Starmetal, or Soulsteel, or what have you.)  With the additional stipulation that you give it a cool name.

If I decide to go with a Terrestrial for my char, then I don't think I'll have any problems with that bit.  The question now is do I play a Terrestrial or a Sidereal?

For Even Blades, a Reaver Daiklave is inappropriate.  It's too bulky, since it's described as a "Speed" style.  Though I think I'd be okay with Yoroi armor with it- though, anything bigger is probably not going to work.

Fair enough.  A Reaper Daiklaive, being a speed 4 weapon, though, would probably work.  Especially if it's made out of Jade, which reduces it to Speed 3.

To be fair in all honesty, though, if I go the armored Terrestrial route, I might end up just sticking to Terrestrial Hero and a couple of other styles that can be practiced in armor.  Maybe.

And Terrestrials get those backgrounds now.  At least, the PCs do.

Wouldn't all the PCs get that 'double background points' bonus?  Solar/Lunar/Terrestrial/Sidereal?

meikle

You play a Sidereal because duck fate.

O and O and Discord
A and A

AlexStone

Yes, all PCs get double backgrounds.  Double backgrounds for everyone!  Throws jade scrip in the air

Hmm.  We might need to move this to another thread soon, just to let everyone else get caught up more easily.

ReijiTabibito

Yeah, I think we're going to need another thread for this, because I still don't know who we've got on hand and who is playing what!  Except Zaer.  And Muse.

meikle

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 09:35:10 PM
Yeah, I think we're going to need another thread for this, because I still don't know who we've got on hand and who is playing what!  Except Zaer.  And Muse.

Well, since I'm not filling a slot in the perfect Circle and don't have to worry about Caste, I'm wavering between Slayer and Defiler.  I'll post up a concept tonight regardless.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Muse

Koshak Kahn
--Delzhan Military Captain, Cassanova, and ambassador the court of orderly flame. 

If you are afraid, don’t do it.  If you do it, don’t be afraid.
--A proveb of Tamas Khan

Koshak Kahn—one of the tri’kahn’s thousand ‘nephews’--is, in fact, the second son of one of the more wealthy and important lines of Delzhan Nobles.  A hot headed and hot loined youth, he made his father proud in many ways, but his indiscretions in the area of seduction quickly earned him more foes than friends. 

Koshak’s father noted his son’s charm and grace too the Tri’kahn and suggested him for a position as amongst the emissaries too the Court of Orderly Flame.  Taking this adventure in good graces, Koshak promised too woo fire butterflies and learn the sword under efrit blademasters and do his father honor. 

A man of deeds more than words, the senior diplomats quickly realized that Koshak would not be best suited too rise to their ranks, but elementals had young among their numbers too, and men of action could connect on levels that transcended species or mortality.  Within a year, Koshak’s primary duty was too represent the Delzhan among military actions against the fair folk.  It was in these battles that he found tests of arms that truly pressed him to his limits and beyond, pressing him towards the point where the Unconquered Sun awaited him. 

It was also amongst these expeditions that he first witnessed a trio of emerald skinned, fire haired girls dancing towards the battle on flaming footprints, and the sensual indolence of the fire butterflies was forgotten. 

The fact that the three young flame ducks mocked at the mortal’s suit only drove him wilder with passion and ambition.  He began regularly petitioning the efrit Lusa Seragon for initiation into the supernatural martial arts.  He was, of course, politely denied each time, often with referrals too efrits and garda birds who would instruct him—which he seized—but Lusa Seragon’s instruction was for the Court of Orderly Flame alone. 

In his third year honorably representing Chiaoscuro alongside the armies of the Court of Orderly Flame—a loan mortal among gods and demigods fearlessly saluting the three he loved and throwing himself into the fray with the hobgoblins—the three flame ducks learned from their kin that the mortal had denied himself the willing attentions of the fire butterflies or any other woman since the first day he’d seen them.  The three did not know what to think or say, but one offered him her blessing before the next battle. 

It was in that battle that the three were cut off from the rest of their army by a hobgoblins and five griffin riding cataraphoi descended upon them. 

Seeing this from where he held the flanks against the hobgolins, a horrible rage rose up in Koshak.  It seemed the light of the burning sun blazed out of him.  His drove his golden camel through hobgoblins that suddenly quailed and quivered, and cut his way too join with the three.  His iron knife and glass blade cut through sidhe plate with equal ease, and the four cut their way back too the armies together… 

That night, the three girls granted Koshak his wish, their hearts, their bodies, and their love.  Fort he first time in his life, he wanted more.  When the young exalted petitioned Lusa Sargon to wed them, he was greeted not as a mortal, but as a God-King of Creation, an ally to be held and cherished.  He was granted not only the marriage of the three, but ancient gifts of orichalcum long hidden away and title to a manse. 

AlexStone

A thread for characters.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=111183.0
A thread for rules.
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=111184.0
A thread for discussion. 
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=111187.0

Use the character thread to post character sheets, the discussion thread for sorting characters out.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: ReijiTabibito on June 23, 2011, 08:37:24 PM
Where is this spell?  I'm not a sorcerer, but if it's Terrestrial Circle, maybe I can get Zaer's character to use it when we hit heavy battle.

Ritual of Elemental Empowerment allows imbue elemental qualities to items which already do not possess any magical qualities. So example could make clothes imbued with fire element so they give you immunity to heat. But to go along with socializing sorceress I took Droning Suggestion instead Brilliant Flight of the Raptor. Still would wish more spells but no enough BP slots increase sorcery background by 4 BP each after 3 :/.