Doomtown Reloaded (Still Recruiting)

Started by Ciosa, April 04, 2014, 09:09:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ciosa

]

The year is 1876, and the world has gone straight to Hell. Well, pardner, that ain't entirely true – it's mostly on the way to Perdition, but no one seems to be trying too hard to slow this handbasket down. The South and the North are still dukin' it out, and the world's gone crazy over a little piece of ore called ghost-rock. Gomorra's a boom town set high atop the deadly Great Maze – that's 'California' for all you East Coast cityfolk – and the place is lousy with ghost-rock, gold and silver. The Tombstone Epitaph spins tall tales of things that go bump in the night.

There's a reason the locals call it 'Doomtown.'

Are you a bible-toting preacher? A muckraking journalist? A cowboy of the wild frontiers? A humble prospector? A steely-eyed gunslinger? One of those mad scientists that goes crazy over ghost-rock? A card-playing huckster? A simple saloon gal? A discharged soldier? Fortunes are won and lost every day in Gomorra - and so are lives.
Welcome to the Weird West, pardner.

Game Details

What section will the game be placed in?

The game will be placed in the Bondage System section.   There will be an 'Extreme' thread for any and all activities outside the bounds of the Bondage forum.

Who is the RP open to?

The game is open to any member of E!

What will the player's role be?

Players will play inhabitants of Gomorra, a boomtown in the Great Maze that was once California.  Their role will be largely of their own devising – they can try to win influence with the powerful voices in Gomorra, and seize control of the town for those interests, or they can work for their own interests; they can struggle to fall in love and get married, strike a claim, operate a successful business – the West has room for heroes, reluctant heroes, and scoundrels of all sorts.  Gomorra's a dangerous place – it's also politically volatile territory, and the USA and the CSA, as well as powerful factions in the Great Maze are interested in controlling it.

What is the plot?

There will be an ongoing metaplot, but much of the action of the story will be shaped and driven by the players.  Multiple factions of powerful individuals are trying to seize control of Gomorra for themselves.  Some motives are pure, others greedy, and others positively malign.  The fate of the town will rest in the player's hands – and quite possibly the wealth of the boomtown, too.  Essentially, there will be sandbox play in which players can meet, greet, fall in love, bicker, fight, politic - whatever they desire.  But there will also be small 'arcs' accommodating limited numbers of players which will both advance factional politics and offer adventures and rewards.

What is the setting?

The game is set in the world of Deadlands, in the year 1876.  Gomorra is far enough away from Lost Angels or Shan Fan (two other important cities in the Great Maze) to be independent of them, and is located near the Iron Dragon railroad, making it capable of selling ghostrock, gold, and silver directly to interested parties without shipping it through the Maze.  It's also had some of the largest strikes on record discovered in the mesas around Gomorra, drawing miners and business folk from all directions.  For those who played in the original Doomtown setting, the story will be picking up one week after the events of Something Wicked.

How do I create a character?

Character Creation rules will be posted on the wiki.  There are actually two methods to create a character – the first is 'Do it Yourself' using the modified system rules (soon to be) present on the wiki, and the second is to send a concept for a character directly to myself.  I can do the outlay of points and give you a rough outline as to what a concept is and isn't capable of – but I will also tell you to tone if back if what you'd like to accomplish is too much for the character creation rules, and your concept is unbalanced.

Can I create multiple characters?

No.  Because of the emphasis on faction politics and for the potential for characters to come into conflict against their own characters - or ‘stack the deck’ inside a particular faction - we will be limiting players to one PC.  See below, about NPCs, though.

What do I need to play?

There are no required resources.  Information will be posted to the wiki.  Knowledge of the game world is not required.  Note that, there are elements of the overarching story which are spoilers – if you are familiar with the world of Deadlands, please do not post 'spoiler' information here.

What do I need to play?

We’re expecting to have periodic time jumps in the game, but they'll be scheduled and at regular intervals.  I'll expect consideration for the posting rates of others.  We would like to see a posting rate of twice a week; if you can't make that, I'll ask you to stay out of larger group scenes to allow the pace to continue.  That said, there's still plenty someone who posts a little more slowly can accomplish.

What about sex?

As stated above, any and all sex is going to be at the whim of the players.  It will not be mandatory, encouraged, or discouraged.  (Though there might be a few cowpokes around encouraging, and a few preachers who will definitely be discouraging it!)

Will there be a tagging system?

We'll be using a tagging system in the game, to keep who said what, when, and where clear.

Metagame Information

Will there be a co-GM?

Sindra will be my co-gm.  We’ll be dividing duties between upkeep, spending Bounty, maintaining the wiki, and running the different factions and NPCs.

What kind of game is it?  An adventure story, or a sandbox story?

The game is going to be a mix of guided and sandbox play.  There will be adventure threads to pursue, but they aren't obligatory, and I don't even believe they will be the major scope of gameplay, nor meant to include every player.  We’re intending the game to be a mix of politics, economics, action, adventure, and world building.  That means that a pacifistic wealthy philanthropist is going to have just as much to do in the game as a tough as nails gunfighter.  We’re looking for a WIDE range of concepts, not a 'party' with a complementary set of abilities.  Shopkeepers and saloon gals are just as viable, and concepts that will breath life and intrigue into the game will be our top choice.

How active a GM will you be?

We intend to be active GMs and plan to post at least twice per week.  If we cannot make that minimum, we will post in the OOC thread so the players will be alerted.  Specific ‘days of rest’ may be set aside for the GMs.  We will post such information for players. 

Will there be an OOC thread?

We will be making use of the OOC thread regularly and encourage players to as well.  If there are questions for the GM, please use the bold function on those questions for ease of us seeing them.  We are also available via PM as we expect that there will be an assortment of questions/activities the players may choose to avail themselves of privately.  We simply ask that both Ciosa (as the main GM) and Sindra (as the Co-GM) are added on all PMs. 

How will decisions be resolved?

The GMs will be the final arbiter of all decisions - we don’t often ask a player to rewrite a post, unless that post represents a glaring breach of continuity or rules, or the god-moding of someone else’s character.  That said, we have a rather democratic style and we will do our best to listen to the concerns of the players. 

Should there ever be a situation in which a player receives answers from both GMs and those answers do not match, Ciosa’s response is final.   

What about player versus player conflicts? (PvP)

This is actually a big enough deal to me that I started a poll.

On PvP:  PvP will be allowed, but it will ALWAYS be consensual.  We’re not looking to have PCs gunned down while taking their tea.  If there is player versus player conflict that may result in a death, we intend it to occur only inside the context of a Showdown, and a Showdown will ONLY occur with two consensual players.  There will be more on this, later, but character death IS a possibility in the game.  It will never happen arbitrarily or randomly, and it will never occur in player on player conflict without a player's consent.

How will NPCs be handled?

There will be two types of NPCs – GM controlled and Player controlled.  You can get some extra bonuses from me if you're willing to run a few NPCs to give the town color and flair.  All faction related NPCs will be GM characters, but the PC/NPCs may be inserted into the game with specific agendas.  (Not necessarily bad ones.)

Additional Information

I would ask all players to abide by the Oath of Drake.

Regardless of the Bondage forum, we expect all players to respect the offs of other players.

We request all players to communicate absences and/or dropping the game.  No hard feelings ever, pardner.  Real life always takes priority, and if the game isn't for you, we promise no hard feelings on our end.

New players will be able to be added at any time.  As the game of politics and intrigue goes on, new players will play a valuable role in contributing to the game political mechanism.

We ask all players to write in the third person, using past tense, for consistency.  Do your best with spelling and grammar.  We find when reading posts it is easiest if players are using the same writing style; it is jarring to continually switch from one tense to another, or from one style to another.

Character Sheet

[float=right][img height=300 padding=10]<image file here>[/img][/float][b]Name:[/b]

[b]Player Name:[/b]

[b]Ethnicity:[/b]

[b]Sex:[/b]

[b]Physical Description: [/b]

[b]Age:[/b]

[b]Sexual Orientation:[/b] (Please note: The predominant 'isms' of the time – sexism, racism, bigotry, etc are all going to be played true to the era.)

[b]Ons & Offs:[/b]  (Please provide a link to your own, and add any character relevant ones here.)

[b]Place of Birth:[/b]

[b]Living Arrangements:[/b] (If your character does not have the 'Dinero' advantage, it's suggested they buy a tent.  Only characters living in Gomorra and with the Dinero advantage will own a home.  Please note, if your character is currently living in Gomorra, how long ago they arrived.)

[b]Personality:[/b]

[b]History:[/b] (Must be detailed and include at least three paragraphs)

[spoiler=Traits][table][tr][td][b]Corporeal[/b][/td][td]Rank[/td][td][b]Mental[/b][/td][td]Rank[/td]
[tr][td]Deftness[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][td]Cognition[/td][td]<1-5>[/td]
[tr][td]Nimbleness[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][td]Knowledge[/td][td]<1-5>[/td]
[tr][td]Quickness[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][td]Mien[/td][td]<1-5>[/td]
[tr][td]Strength[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][td]Smarts[/td][td]<1-5>[/td]
[tr][td]Vigor[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][td]Spirit[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Aptitudes][table][tr][td][b]Aptitude[/b][/td][td][b]Associated Trait[/b][/td][td][b]Rank[/b][/td]
[tr][td]Area Knowledge (Home County)[/td][td]Knowledge[/td][td]2[/td]
[tr][td]Climbing[/td][td]Nimbleness[/td][td]1[/td]
[tr][td]Search[/td][td]Cognition[/td][td]1[/td]
[tr][td]Sneak[/td][td]Nimbleness[/td][td]1[/td]
[tr][td]<skill>[/td][td]<Trait>[/td][td]<1-5>[/td]
[tr][td]<skill>[/td][td]<Trait>[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Edges & Hindrances][table][tr][td][b]Edges[/b][/td][td]Rank[/td][td][b]Hindrances[/b][/td][td]Rank[/td]
[tr][td]<edge>[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][td]<hindrance>[/td][td]<-1-5>[/td]
[tr][td]<edge>[/td][td]<1-5>[/td][td]<hindrance>[/td][td]<-1-5>[/td][/table][/spoiler]
[spoiler=Gear and Remaining Money: $][table][tr][td][b]Gear[/b][/td][td][b]Cost[/b][/td][td][b]Quality[/b][/td]
[tr][td]<gear>[/td][td]$<amount>[/td][td]<quality>[/td]
[tr][td][b]Total:[/b][/td][td][b]$<amount>[/b][/td][/spoiler]
[spoiler=20 Questions:]The questions in red are mandatory.  Answer at least five questions, including the mandatory questions.

[color=red]1. What is your character's motivation in general?  (Power, protecting a family, wealth, sex...)

2. What is your character's motivation to be in Gomorra?  (Escaping trouble, making a stake, etc)

3. What is your character's greatest nightmare?  (At least a paragraph)[/color]

4. What are your character's favorite things?

5. What are your character's least favorite things?

6. What is your character's greatest virtue?

7. What is your character's greatest hubris?

8. Does your character have any dependents?

9. How does your character feel about national and international politics?

10. How does your character feel about religion?

11. Where is your character from?

12. What are your characters prejudices?

13. If your character's story was a movie, (and not a western) what genre would it be?

14. What is your character's orientation, and on and offs?

15. What is the best event that has happened to your character?

16. What is the worst event that has happened to your character?

17. What is your characters code of morality?

18. What would tempt them to break that code?

19. Is your character a Veteran of the Weird West*?

20.  What is the most important thing to know about your character?[/spoiler]

SGTDan

Done

Now where do I sign?

I fucking love Deadlands, is there any restrictions on concepts and such? I'm thinking of playing a Union soldier or something.
“We are all a little weird and life’s a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”  -Dr. Seuss
Proudly Demisexual
Do you love Star Trek? Answer the Call to Duty
My RP Requests

Ciosa

Beyond the requirement of being in Doomtown, on the West Coast, a soldier concept is fine - most likely they'd be AWOL or have completed their tour, honorable or otherwise.

For now, feel free to work on a character and send a concept to myself and Sindra.

For players of the original Doomtown - if you do intend to rejoin, please advise whether you intend to carry on with your old character or begin anew.

Crash

I will be using Agatha but I think I am going to modify her some.  Seriously considering an airship.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Ciosa

I'm picturing a mad science lab under a flammable zeppelin balloon.

*chokes back evil cackles*

Sounds good!

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

Loves

I wasn't there for the original, but I would like to join this time around  :) 

ON HIATUS AGAIN

Niferbelle

Yay Loves!

I'm curious, will Jack be back? That might weigh heavily on whether or not I come up with a new character.

Crash

Quote from: Loves on April 04, 2014, 09:39:49 PM

You'll enjoy it.

Sindra

Quote from: Loves on April 04, 2014, 09:39:49 PM

You're more than welcome to join us, Loves!

Quote from: Niferbelle on April 04, 2014, 09:41:04 PM
I'm curious, will Jack be back? That might weigh heavily on whether or not I come up with a new character.

Black Jack is central to several plot lines and will be present in Doomtown Reloaded. 

As this is bound to come up, the factions and the NPCs involved in those factions will be present in Doomtown Reloaded. 

Ciosa and I are dividing up the factions for ease of game play.  Ciosa will be in charge of and creating events for Black Jack's Raiders, The Collegium, The Law Dogs and Sweet Rock.  I will be taking on the Whateley's, The Maze Rats and the Sioux.  Ciosa and I will, of course, be in communication about all the events of all of the factions but this guide allows the player to contact one of us if they have questions about a faction.

consortium11

I've been itching to play Walter again... he's certainly back.

Mister Grimm

I'm unsure as to whether or not Alex will be coming  back, or if I'm going an all new character this time around. Will think on it for the time being, but glad to see this is coming back!
I've got all the things I need. It's the nature of my breed.
I'm independent, s m o o t h and confident.
Always in command with a graceful element and a tasteful compliment.
Do you know who I am?
I'm a deadly handsome man.

yesiroleplay

Keeping tabs on this thing

Josietta

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

Ciosa

Either would be welcome!

And good to see every circling back around.  Any questions Sindra or I can answer?

Sindra

We are more than happy to have either new characters or returning characters.  We do want to be clear that we are intending to move the story forward a week after the Something Wicked thread.  The sandbox and event threads will be updated with the new dates. 

All threads will be starting at the new time without wrapping up all the old content.  We will post a resolution to the Something Wicked event so all characters can react accordingly.  We are very sorry that we need to do that but it is necessary to allow not only for new characters but the fact that not all the old characters will be returning. 

As Ciosa mentioned, we are both available to answer any questions.  Please feel free to ask them in this thread or send us a PM. 

As a personal note, I am really excited to see this game reopened and so many returning and new players! 

Josietta

How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?

❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖                    ❤️🧡💛💚💙💜🖤🤍💖
                                 O.Os   / A.As / Ideas 
                           Warning:  Finicky Muse Ahead!

yesiroleplay

Quote from: Josietta on April 05, 2014, 12:02:05 AM
How many licks does it take to get to the center of a tootsie pop?
Depends on how much money pop has.

esclavage

I am also tentatively in though I will try and avoid biting off more than I can chew which always seems to be the pattern with me and group games

And more than likely, everyone's favorite Whateley will be stirring up mischief - both innocent and ill-intentioned.  And I would love if Marguerite returned - I feel her and Ginny had so much potential as 'rivals' though I doubt Ginny would ever acknowledge that.

I saw pale kings and princes too // Pale warriors, death-pale were they all;
They cried—“La Belle Dame sans Merci hath thee in thrall!”  -- John Keats, 1884 

Writing Drabbles - Sampler Platter
Plot Ideas -  Darkstalkers, League of Legends, Drow, X-Men, Avengers, Pokemon!!!
Posting Order -  Check Here If You Write With Me!

yesiroleplay

Quote from: esclavage on April 05, 2014, 12:30:52 AM
I am also tentatively in though I will try and avoid biting off more than I can chew which always seems to be the pattern with me and group games

And more than likely, everyone's favorite Whateley will be stirring up mischief - both innocent and ill-intentioned.  And I would love if Marguerite returned - I feel her and Ginny had so much potential as 'rivals' though I doubt Ginny would ever acknowledge that.
Marguerite + Whateley = deviltry.

Sort of an inside joke with Ciosa/Sindra there

Strangefate

Just posting possible interest, haven't really decided yet.
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

auroraChloe

i'm seriously considering this.  if we tweak our previous characters, would this game be a fresh start or entail any of that previous game's history ? 

a/a 8/21/17

Sindra

Quote from: Strangefate on April 05, 2014, 01:24:50 AM
Just posting possible interest, haven't really decided yet.

You'd be a welcome addition if you decide to join us, SF!  It's certainly your choice though.

Quote from: auroraChloe on April 05, 2014, 01:50:50 AM
i'm seriously considering this.  if we tweak our previous characters, would this game be a fresh start or entail any of that previous game's history ? 

You're presence in Doomtown would always be welcomed!  It is, of course, completely up to you though.

This is something that we can discuss on a case-by-case basis.  It will largely depend on what the player would like to see with their past character.  For instance, if you wanted to keep her background but wanted to 'erase' the time she had spent in Gomorra, we can do so (and make a note of it on the Character profiles).  If you would like to tweak the character without any changes to what she had done in Gomorra, we would have to talk more privately about what you were looking for. 

Michael Corvus

Would it be okay if I joined?
My O/O's | My A/A's | My Characters
The Oath of The Drake
*Currently Only Seeking Group Games*

Niferbelle

Quote from: Sindra on April 04, 2014, 09:48:10 PM
Black Jack is central to several plot lines and will be present in Doomtown Reloaded. 

I think I would like to keep Lilah then :) I do want to work on getting her more interaction with other PCs though so I'll be thinking about that.