LF Pathfinder GM for Planescape Rock(?) Band on Tour

Started by Chanticleer, July 25, 2018, 08:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chulanowa

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 25, 2018, 10:44:44 PM
Well that seemed unnecessarily personal :P

In any event, I was trying to go for the "Beaten down junker" style, since these guys are supposed to be a new, wannabe band rather than a rich and famous one. Duh, their eventual ride is gonna be sleek and sexy. But they don't start out with a top of the range tourship, do they? They need to work up to that!

Oops, no, sorry, wasn't meant to be Vergil. it's just... they're one of my peeves. Chulanowa and steampunk don't get along.  ;D

I mean we're talking about a massive flying boat powered by semi-godlike beings from the elemental planes bound into service by some of the few mages powerful enough to do so, using cosmic gems that may in fact be shattered remnants of the dragons who formed the world an d heavens from their bodies. I'm not sure they come in "clunker" - "entry model," certainly!

Hunter

Quote from: Chulanowa on July 25, 2018, 11:02:05 PM
Oops, no, sorry, wasn't meant to be Vergil. it's just... they're one of my peeves. Chulanowa and steampunk don't get along.  ;D

I mean we're talking about a massive flying boat powered by semi-godlike beings from the elemental planes bound into service by some of the few mages powerful enough to do so, using cosmic gems that may in fact be shattered remnants of the dragons who formed the world an d heavens from their bodies. I'm not sure they come in "clunker" - "entry model," certainly!

There's going to be a certain amount of "maintenance issue" as well as very likely the map issue that I mentioned earlier.    How often did a breakdown in the Mystery Machine lead to hi-jinks?

Thorne

I could point you guys at this, too, for inspiration.. http://rockcocks.slipshine.net/

Not clunkier, precisely, but … there might be something wrong with it. Or, as I suggested earlier, a prior owner who wasn't informed that their ship changed hands (and had to change hands FAST, because.. well.. how the hell do you offload a stolen borrowed airship!?
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Chanticleer

Gods below, people.

We started this thread less than 3 hours ago.

In fact, I think the original spam in Chula's game is less than 4 hours old.

And this is post number 78 (assuming there haven't been another 6 posts while I was writing it).

EDIT: Oh, look, only 2. Post number 80!

EDIT: I'd better come up with a name for my cutebold.
My current O/os (need work)

Vergil Tanner

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 11:01:45 PM
This is EXACTLY the kind of thing I had in mind for this game.

Dark minds think alike! :P

Still not sure whether to make her a Futa or not... >.>

I mean, hot air and steam power is a thing :P
Their eventual tourship is gonna be sleek and sexy and powered by the Gods, but there are gonna be junkier models that run on hot air. I mean, hot air isn't exactly rocket science, is it? :P And I just don't think that an up and coming band that wants to make itself big is gonna have a huge, sexy, expensive bus. They have to work up to it! They have to earn it, or it's no fun. Right?
Vergil's Faceclaim Archive; For All Your Character Model Seeking Needs!

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Dubbed the "Oath of Drake,"
A noble philosophy; I adhere...for now.

Thorne

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 25, 2018, 11:04:18 PM
Gods below, people.

We started this thread less than 3 hours ago.

In fact, I think the original spam in Chula's game is less than 4 hours old.

And this is post number 78 (assuming there haven't been another 6 posts while I was writing it).

EDIT: Oh, look, only 2. Post number 80!

Sure. We're inspired, and there went the neighborhood...

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 25, 2018, 11:05:35 PM
Their eventual tourship is gonna be sleek and sexy and powered by the Gods, but there are gonna be junkier models that run on hot air. I mean, hot air isn't exactly rocket science, is it? :P And I just don't think that an up and coming band that wants to make itself big is gonna have a huge, sexy, expensive bus. They have to work up to it! They have to earn it, or it's no fun. Right?

Hold on, hold on, HOLD THE PHONE! Air ship - sail-powered, no magic (other than 'ship FLIES'), it's wind-powered.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Hunter

Quote from: Thorne on July 25, 2018, 11:07:38 PM
Sure. We're inspired, and there went the neighborhood...

Hold on, hold on, HOLD THE PHONE! Air ship - sail-powered, no magic (other than 'ship FLIES'), it's wind-powered.

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/ultimateCombatVehicles.html#airship
"This exotic and expensive vehicle is held aloft by a massive balloon connected by chain to a ship that hangs below. This ship is similar to a sailing ship, complete with an open top, and is propelled by an easily controlled magical engine. Passengers and cargo are carried in the ship. An airship can carry 30 tons of cargo or 100 passengers."

Chulanowa

Dark minds think alike! :P

Mules.
We have mules.
Mules capable of interplanar travel, judging from the poll results.

Chanticleer

Entirely up to you, but to paraphrase 'Field of Dreams,' "If you build it, they will come."

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 25, 2018, 11:05:35 PMTheir eventual tourship is gonna be sleek and sexy and powered by the Gods, but there are gonna be junkier models that run on hot air. I mean, hot air isn't exactly rocket science, is it? :P And I just don't think that an up and coming band that wants to make itself big is gonna have a huge, sexy, expensive bus. They have to work up to it! They have to earn it, or it's no fun. Right?

If I remember right, most such airships were vastly expensive. Owned only by the largest trading guilds and by governments. Starting out, we may just have to take the TRAIN. Which is fine, because shenanigans never happen on trains.

Hunter

Okay, I'm sticking with fifth level for character building.      My preferred option is that you combine your gold (10,500 gps from the wealth per level table) in order to purchase an airship.   And yes, you're probably going to get the magic map thrown in as a penalty bonus.   Other than that, please feel free to continue hashing things out.

See, there is a method to my madness....the voices tell me so!

Vergil Tanner

QUESTION FOR THE FLOOR.

I'm considering taking the Recruits Feat, if we start at level 5.

I was imagining that these three "Recruits" could be the budding beginnings of the entourage. EG, an Illusionist Sorcerer who is responsible for the "Special Effects," and the trainee "Bouncer" who is responsible for security. The flip side is that they're also the bands errand boys / girls, and often used for recreational sex (or blood drinking, in Camilla's case). What I need to know is three things:

1) Would people be interested in these three NPC's running around?
2) How would we run them? Would they be GM NPC's, would people want to take on direct control of one each, or would we cycle the control depending on who wanted to play with them (EG, if Chul's character wanted to play with the Bouncer, I could control him, then pass control to Chan if Camilla wanted to play with him)?
3) What archetypes / roles / appearances would people want? EG, I imagine the Illusionist Sorcerer as an Elf, or Half Elf. The Bouncer could be a big, masculine barbarian...who also happens to be completely Camilla's bitch. Maybe the third one is a tomboy-ish mechanic type that looks like a tomboy female but is actually a male? I dunno, I'm looking for preferences here. :P

So...thoughts?

Quote from: Hunter on July 25, 2018, 11:28:23 PM
Okay, I'm sticking with fifth level for character building.      My preferred option is that you combine your gold (10,500 gps from the wealth per level table) in order to purchase an airship.   And yes, you're probably going to get the magic map thrown in as a penalty bonus.   Other than that, please feel free to continue hashing things out.

See, there is a method to my madness....the voices tell me so!

If we're combining our starting wealth, then does that mean we don't get starting gear, like instruments and outfits and the like? And what stats are we using? Rolled, Point Buy?

Also: What is your stance on Not Strictly Raw But Awesome Custom Items?
Eg, if Camilla wanted an axe that was also a guitar that could throw fire from the end of it (Like Mad Max) how much would that cost? :P

Men in general judge more by the sense of sight than by that of touch, because everyone can see but few can test by feeling. Everyone sees what you seem to be, few know what you really are; and those few do not dare take a stand against the general opinion. Therefore it is unnecessary to have all the qualities I have enumerated, but it is very necessary to appear to have them. And I shall dare to say this also, that to have them and always observe them is injurious, and that to appear to have them is useful; to appear merciful, faithful, humane, religious, upright, and be so, but with a mind so framed that should you require not to be so, you may be able and know how to change to the opposite.

Hunter

The map, for those of you who haven't seen wakfu, is an intelligent magic item.  It's basically indestructible, capable of showing you where in the world where you are and how to get to where you want to go.  Assuming that it wants to, that is.   It's also chaotic, extremely selfish, and quite contrary.  Flattery may actually get you somewhere.

How much you'd get to spend depends on how many we've got involved.    Assuming that there's six players (including the band manager), that'll give each character about 2,500 gps to spend.    Math is hard.   And yes, the band manager is going to be a catfolk summoner with a eidolon teddy bear.

Alternately, rather than do that math: every character gets one really neat magic item/instrument (which might be a heirloom item, handed down from a mentor, found at a pawn shop, etc) plus a bit of spending money as well as whatever non-magical gear they might need.    No full plate.  :P   I'd prefer this one, honestly.

Vergil Tanner

I'd go for the second one, personally. Easier to work out :P
Plus, it gives me a fighting chance of getting that flamethrower guitar :P

As the GM, would you prefer to have control of any NPC Recruits or Cohorts we get, or would you prefer we control them amongst ourselves?

Hunter

Quote from: Vergil Tanner on July 25, 2018, 11:47:11 PM
I'd go for the second one, personally. Easier to work out :P
Plus, it gives me a fighting chance of getting that flamethrower guitar :P

As the GM, would you prefer to have control of any NPC Recruits or Cohorts we get, or would you prefer we control them amongst ourselves?

Control, or mis-control, your own cohorts and followers.   As I'm now going to bed, please continue the dialogue.    I'll catch up when I get up.

Vergil Tanner

Okey dokey! Night dude! We will need to know how we're working our Stats out, though...

Any preferences, guys? Rolled, or Buy? I prefer Point Buy myself.

ALSO.
I really want to take the Recruits Feat to give us some Roadies. But by the same token, I want Camilla to be able to play with them without feeling like masturbation, so...what do you guys wanna do? Share control and take command of them if we want them for scenes? Or just each of us take on one of them to control personally as like a semi-second character?

ALSO ALSO. If we did go with that, any preferences on what those characters would be like, and what roles they fill? :P

Bibliophilia

I'm personally of the mind that more slap-dash and varied methods of transport are more interesting and potentially compelling story-wise.

Vergil Tanner

I'm inclined to agree. Let them fight for their transport! :P

Chulanowa

Especially if we're going with the "traveling the multiverse" idea. One day? Sure it's an airship to Aundair. next day? Travel by mole-mobile in hte Plane of earth. Third day? Over-budgeted on the pyrotechnics, gotta thumb a ride to Krynn for Kenderpalooza.

Chanticleer

Going to throw out a few suggestions here. Feel free to disagree.

1. I really do enjoy how much conversation has swirled around the vehicle, BUT I think we're starting early enough that we shouldn't have our own airliner. Having to buy tickets, (pretend to) behave in transit, pick up our luggage and FUCK WHERE ARE THE INSTRUMENTS sounds a bit more like 3-5th level to me...Especially if we're doing the interplanar thing. We almost certainly can't/shouldn't have our own spelljammer! We might rent some sort of local transport, of course, but remember that saving money is important if we're not guaranteed a sold-out venue!

2. So far 4/6 of the party has voted. The current vote is 3/4 for the multi-planar thing, which is kind of fun because we can tour different worlds and settings, but potentially hard on the DM. The level vote is currently tied between 3rd and 5th level. IF YOU HAVEN'T VOTED, VOTE PLEASE. If we're doing the interplanar thing, it creates many different possibilities for character backgrounds which won't exist if we're in a single-plane campaign. Be nice to get that out of the way.

3. With one player GMing/manager, we have a five (creature) band. This seems magnificently appropriate. We don't have to play to those archetypes, but they do make a fun set. Something to think about.

4. So far only two players have talked about character classes as far as I can tell? Thorne and Vergil have both proposed Skalds, with Thorne also proposing a Tiefling 'scout' (I do hope the scout will play with the band, though, if you go that direction?). Depending on the archetype and build, Skalds could be very different from each other. I'm totes okay with more than one if Hunter is okay with it. Oh, and Hunter's character (the manager of the band) is apparently a Catfolk Summoner? I'm currently studying Warlock ideas for my kobold (who is now officially Marlithinex the Black, and is NOT to be called 'Marli' in front of fans, thank you).

5. I'm going to probably create an actual game forum tomorrow, including an OOC and a 'Band Information' forum (which will also be the place to post characters). I know this is usually something 'the GM does' (and thank you Hunter for stepping up!) but I'm still inclined to push the option that over time we may end up sharing/switching who has GMing duties as a fun way to mix things up.

6. I would like to put forward 25-point point buy for consideration: we're not gods, but we're the cream of the crop. We've made it far enough to have a manager who actually has a tour schedule for us. We've risen above all those other poor souls who're begging to play weddings and weeknights at the local dive joint. We're well above the norm!

And with that, I'm going to probably do a little more poking at Warlocky things, then go to sleep.

Thank you all so much for your enthusiasm! I'm really blown away by how this has sort of moved from a single silly gothbold character idea into a full-fledged game concept in such a short time and I hope we all have as much fun moving forward as we have this evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvKs2VLmVnY

Bibliophilia

Mynx is probably a witch, but I might end up landing elsewhere as far as class.  And I'll go vote now.

I agree with the point buy and also the idea of various people taking over the GM role.  I tend to love that idea, and it works especially well in an episodic game like this one.  Plus, it'll give me a chance to get my feet wet on running D&D.

Vergil Tanner

Though I do think we should let Hunter set up the threads, or at least decide if we're gonna cycle before you start setting up threads that the GM would usually create. We have time, after all, so let's discuss that and see what people / Hunter want to do before we start taking away GM jobs ;)

Also: See above roadie questions. I'm toying with the idea, but would appreciate some input on whether it's a good idea or not :P If I'm the only one interested in that sorta thing, then I'll nix the idea completely :P

As for class, I'm thinking Dhampir Demon Dancer Skald. :D

Thorne

Quote from: Chanticleer on July 26, 2018, 12:38:50 AM
Going to throw out a few suggestions here. Feel free to disagree.

1. I really do enjoy how much conversation has swirled around the vehicle, BUT I think we're starting early enough that we shouldn't have our own airliner. Having to buy tickets, (pretend to) behave in transit, pick up our luggage and FUCK WHERE ARE THE INSTRUMENTS sounds a bit more like 3-5th level to me...Especially if we're doing the interplanar thing. We almost certainly can't/shouldn't have our own spelljammer! We might rent some sort of local transport, of course, but remember that saving money is important if we're not guaranteed a sold-out venue!

2. So far 4/6 of the party has voted. The current vote is 3/4 for the multi-planar thing, which is kind of fun because we can tour different worlds and settings, but potentially hard on the DM. The level vote is currently tied between 3rd and 5th level. IF YOU HAVEN'T VOTED, VOTE PLEASE. If we're doing the interplanar thing, it creates many different possibilities for character backgrounds which won't exist if we're in a single-plane campaign. Be nice to get that out of the way.

3. With one player GMing/manager, we have a five (creature) band. This seems magnificently appropriate. We don't have to play to those archetypes, but they do make a fun set. Something to think about.

4. So far only two players have talked about character classes as far as I can tell? Thorne and Vergil have both proposed Skalds, with Thorne also proposing a Tiefling 'scout' (I do hope the scout will play with the band, though, if you go that direction?). Depending on the archetype and build, Skalds could be very different from each other. I'm totes okay with more than one if Hunter is okay with it. Oh, and Hunter's character (the manager of the band) is apparently a Catfolk Summoner? I'm currently studying Warlock ideas for my kobold (who is now officially Marlithinex the Black, and is NOT to be called 'Marli' in front of fans, thank you).

5. I'm going to probably create an actual game forum tomorrow, including an OOC and a 'Band Information' forum (which will also be the place to post characters). I know this is usually something 'the GM does' (and thank you Hunter for stepping up!) but I'm still inclined to push the option that over time we may end up sharing/switching who has GMing duties as a fun way to mix things up.

6. I would like to put forward 25-point point buy for consideration: we're not gods, but we're the cream of the crop. We've made it far enough to have a manager who actually has a tour schedule for us. We've risen above all those other poor souls who're begging to play weddings and weeknights at the local dive joint. We're well above the norm!

And with that, I'm going to probably do a little more poking at Warlocky things, then go to sleep.

Thank you all so much for your enthusiasm! I'm really blown away by how this has sort of moved from a single silly gothbold character idea into a full-fledged game concept in such a short time and I hope we all have as much fun moving forward as we have this evening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvKs2VLmVnY

Thorne is probably going to go with the tiefling 'scout' - who may actually be an Oracle of some kind, or something like that. I might even run her as a sorcerer if I can't get Oracle to work.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Bibliophilia

I'd rather not have some random secondary character thrust upon me with the expectation of playing it for someone else.

Vergil Tanner

Haha, fair enough :P This is why I'm asking, since in my head it's a fun idea to have roadies and errand boy npc's running around, but other people might have a different idea of what "Fun" entails :P

Thorne

Quote from: Hunter on July 25, 2018, 11:08:46 PM
http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/ultimateCombat/ultimateCombatVehicles.html#airship
"This exotic and expensive vehicle is held aloft by a massive balloon connected by chain to a ship that hangs below. This ship is similar to a sailing ship, complete with an open top, and is propelled by an easily controlled magical engine. Passengers and cargo are carried in the ship. An airship can carry 30 tons of cargo or 100 passengers."

Yah, that's what the /book/ says. Pfah at the book, for some things. I hate those balloon-ships. 
If you can create a flying ship (somebody find me the entry for Eberron's sky-ships?) you can create one that uses sails (ala Meridian). It would probably be slower than one of Eberron's sky-galleons, because wind can be unpredictable, but it's doable.

Might not be cheaper, of course... but it's an option.

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies