News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Windows 7 Discussion

Started by Cythieus, October 27, 2009, 09:17:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Games? NOOOOOOOO.

Forget about it. :P

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Zorak on November 02, 2009, 09:38:46 PM
Ok... having read all of this.. I offer the following :::

Last year, I bought a nice new PC - it came with Windows Vista Ultimate.  AMD Quad-Core... a ROCKING fast machine (or at least, it was supposed to be).. 

It spent more time in its own self-repair processing than it did running and doing what I wanted it to do.  No help from Microshaft of course, because... customer support doesn't exist there - or at least, if you CALL for customer support, it goes like this...

HP :: The problem is with Microsoft, call them.
               MICROSOFT :: HP is responsible for giving you support
               HP :: We can't really help you here.
               MICROSOFT :: We can't really help you here.
               AXE :: Please... don't smash me into your computer, it's brand new. 
                        Consider smashing me into the skull of a Microsoft
                        employee...
               JIMMINY CRICKET :: Don't even think of it...

OK.. so what to do?

I liberated myself, and my entire household.  I offer you all the following EXCELLENT solution, and the total cost to implement?  $0.  Special skills required?  None.

http://WWW.UBUNTU.COM

My quad-core now runs like the rocket it's supposed to be.  Crashes?  0.  Grief?  0.  MS Office compatibility?  YES !!!  Cost... FREE!

Do yourself a favor and give Linux a shot - it's now easy enough for home use, and doesn't have to be confined to gurus and corporations anymore.

Now now.. don't go throwing the fact that your OS is more stable than their OS. It's not nice.

I am trying very hard not to do that myself.

Zorak

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 02, 2009, 10:09:12 PM
Now now.. don't go throwing the fact that your OS is more stable than their OS. It's not nice.

I am trying very hard not to do that myself.

Actually, I'm sharing a solution to the problem without paying for an upgrade, and suggesting that just because it comes in a Microsoft wrapper, doesn't mean it's good (or even necessary).

Why upgrade Vista to Win7?  Just replace it entirely and forget your troubles?

Dizzi

O.K.  I did not use vista more than a total of half an hour (maybe an hur) in total throught it's entire release.  I had vista since 2004 (ish) so vist to sven was a HUGE leap (I only use 7 at school sometimes  at home I have an nice imac.  I have yet to upgrade to snowleapord yet though :P  but thats another discussion)
I love the new taskbar, how if you have, say, 30 wondows open and 7 different programs.  you have seven items and you can just hover over it.  I love the organization of 7 as well (moving windows to certain areas to re-size/organize them) but I still <3 my mac.  But I hate my mighty mouse.  Can;t wait for my Magic Mouse :D

so, in short,
Leopard > Windows 7 > Windows XP

Cythieus

Quote from: Zorak on November 02, 2009, 09:38:46 PM
Ok... having read all of this.. I offer the following :::

Last year, I bought a nice new PC - it came with Windows Vista Ultimate.  AMD Quad-Core... a ROCKING fast machine (or at least, it was supposed to be).. 

It spent more time in its own self-repair processing than it did running and doing what I wanted it to do.  No help from Microshaft of course, because... customer support doesn't exist there - or at least, if you CALL for customer support, it goes like this...

HP :: The problem is with Microsoft, call them.
               MICROSOFT :: HP is responsible for giving you support
               HP :: We can't really help you here.
               MICROSOFT :: We can't really help you here.
               AXE :: Please... don't smash me into your computer, it's brand new. 
                        Consider smashing me into the skull of a Microsoft
                        employee...
               JIMMINY CRICKET :: Don't even think of it...

OK.. so what to do?

I liberated myself, and my entire household.  I offer you all the following EXCELLENT solution, and the total cost to implement?  $0.  Special skills required?  None.

http://WWW.UBUNTU.COM

My quad-core now runs like the rocket it's supposed to be.  Crashes?  0.  Grief?  0.  MS Office compatibility?  YES !!!  Cost... FREE!

Do yourself a favor and give Linux a shot - it's now easy enough for home use, and doesn't have to be confined to gurus and corporations anymore.

Sounds like you had a factory issue more than a Vista issue, you should have just tried reinstalling the OS. As for Linux, unless you have a programming background, when you do run into issue it will be 10 times harder to fix and 10 times harder to find someone you can ask (you can't just go int the Apple store or ask someone on the street).

If you wanted to play games or any of that, there goes that too.

Quote from: Dizzi on November 02, 2009, 11:15:44 PM
O.K.  I did not use vista more than a total of half an hour (maybe an hur) in total throught it's entire release.  I had vista since 2004 (ish) so vist to sven was a HUGE leap (I only use 7 at school sometimes  at home I have an nice imac.  I have yet to upgrade to snowleapord yet though :P  but thats another discussion)
I love the new taskbar, how if you have, say, 30 wondows open and 7 different programs.  you have seven items and you can just hover over it.  I love the organization of 7 as well (moving windows to certain areas to re-size/organize them) but I still <3 my mac.  But I hate my mighty mouse.  Can;t wait for my Magic Mouse :D

so, in short,
Leopard > Windows 7 > Windows XP

Those are all things that are pretty cosmetic and that I've turned off, the hover thing tends to do more annoying than good. I only turn it on to screen shot for people. And I kind of hated the big task bar, so I shrunk it back down. I'm not blind.  -_-

What I was concerned about is 7's stability which from what I experienced with Vista seems to be about the same. It's compatibility still is lack luster too. In short it seems like Microsoft jumped on a bandwagon and resold us a slightly changed OS. And I feel like the shelf life for OS's is going to get shorter and shorter. I think we had support for Windows 3.1 until 2001 or so, I have heard rumors of it. Now you're lucky if they support you much longer after two versions.

The same thing has happened in the video game market and it seems to be an issue with technology across the board. The race to the next great thing is so frantic they can't fix what we have or add onto it and let it be for a while.

Er, Odin, the essential instability in Windows comes from Microsoft's commitment to supporting legacy technology for far longer than is healthy for the market. If you want to use something old, use it on a system that can support it. If we worry too much about what has passed, then we don't move forward.

Besides, with Microsoft's extreme support of XP, it's a serious jump to say that their long term support is starting to waver.

Cythieus

Quote from: RiderKarma on November 03, 2009, 10:39:58 PM
Er, Odin, the essential instability in Windows comes from Microsoft's commitment to supporting legacy technology for far longer than is healthy for the market. If you want to use something old, use it on a system that can support it. If we worry too much about what has passed, then we don't move forward.

Besides, with Microsoft's extreme support of XP, it's a serious jump to say that their long term support is starting to waver.

They only support XP because of the fact that they have to, its got the majority of the market. These OS's should cost less or last longer though, that's my real point. OS's are pretty much as cheap as they're going to get when they come out in some instances. They know basically everyone needs one, so why is it that they cost so much?

And I think their instability comes from rushing out unfinished products and the fact that the produce itself is run on the majority of the machines and with the majority of the programs. When we switch to a new OS, we run a risk of creating new problems with old programs. Microsoft or any other programmer can't be asked the program down for these things. I hear people complaining that DOS games don't work anymore and other things and I wonder if they even realize what they're saying.

I understand the need for technology to move forward, but I think it would be better served if they built and air tight OS than if they rush something to market that's not ready and fix many of the bugs as they go. There is some good in forcing technology forward, Microsoft did it with some of the games that were Vista only. Problem is that when people count on computers to do business and can't move past XP because they need X program, then Microsoft is providing them a service by helping...the real issue lies with companies who won't move up with Windows.

I don't really know where you're going with this, so nevermind.

Cythieus

Quote from: RiderKarma on November 03, 2009, 10:53:21 PM
I don't really know where you're going with this, so nevermind.

I guess the point is that the fault lies with the way the computer market functions more than just with Microsoft.

Zorak

Quote from: Odin on November 03, 2009, 10:32:02 PM
Sounds like you had a factory issue more than a Vista issue, you should have just tried reinstalling the OS. As for Linux, unless you have a programming background, when you do run into issue it will be 10 times harder to fix and 10 times harder to find someone you can ask (you can't just go int the Apple store or ask someone on the street).

If you wanted to play games or any of that, there goes that too.

No hardware problems (if there were, I'd still be seeing it now, and I'm not - all hardware passed multiple tests). 

One of the misconceptions of Linux, is that you have to be "a programmer" or "have a programming background", well, I don't.  I found UBUNTU to be easier to manage than Vista... you do NOT need to be some kind of guru to be successful with a Linux desktop (especially Ubuntu).  Installing and removing software uses a GUI interface just like everyone's used to.  Control panels, everything's there.  Microshaft would like you to believe it's "hard" but, it's NOT.

As for asking for help?  I've gotten 100x faster response from the Linux community, with valid, working answers (often times, within MINUTES) than I ever have been able to get with windows (especially, since you get 20 different answers, and half of them say "re-install windows"-- bah...).

As far as games - I play windows games on my Linux desktop using an emulation layer :)   And guess what... I'm not a "programmer", and it's FAST !

Cythieus

Quote from: Zorak on November 04, 2009, 07:44:15 AM
No hardware problems (if there were, I'd still be seeing it now, and I'm not - all hardware passed multiple tests). 

One of the misconceptions of Linux, is that you have to be "a programmer" or "have a programming background", well, I don't.  I found UBUNTU to be easier to manage than Vista... you do NOT need to be some kind of guru to be successful with a Linux desktop (especially Ubuntu).  Installing and removing software uses a GUI interface just like everyone's used to.  Control panels, everything's there.  Microshaft would like you to believe it's "hard" but, it's NOT.

As for asking for help?  I've gotten 100x faster response from the Linux community, with valid, working answers (often times, within MINUTES) than I ever have been able to get with windows (especially, since you get 20 different answers, and half of them say "re-install windows"-- bah...).

As far as games - I play windows games on my Linux desktop using an emulation layer :)   And guess what... I'm not a "programmer", and it's FAST !

I've run Linux too and had programmer friends that ran it, they always tell me not only is it different, but its harder. And I'd prefer no to use emulation as it feels to me less stable than running it in the original thing.

Zorak

Quote from: Odin on November 04, 2009, 09:31:08 AM
I've run Linux too and had programmer friends that ran it, they always tell me not only is it different, but its harder. And I'd prefer no to use emulation as it feels to me less stable than running it in the original thing.

Well, Linux today isn't like it was 5 years ago...  I use Ubuntu, and that's a distribution that's really designed for the "average joe".  My wife uses it too and loves it, and she's as far from "technical" as you can possibly get..  The installer is all graphical, just like windows, with lots of helptext.  The biggest problem, is that people are afraid of it.

I spent a month on Ubuntu. Instead of gaining nebulous concepts like "stability" I instead lost familiarity and the ability to play new games. I had to relearn nearly everything just to get the basics functioning and in the process did nothing but waste time, because there wasn't a single advantage. Windows is quite stable if you know what you're doing (and I very much do). I would have been better off spending that time in Mac OS.

Chris Brady

Four the four months I was stuck with it, I found Ubuntu confusing and overly complicated.  Also, being a gamer, WINE sucked dead donkey balls with a gusto that should be reserved for your favourite lolipop flavour.

As long as the games I love are on Windows, I will stick with it.
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Morven

It really depends what you do with a computer.  If you're a UNIX-head, Linux is great.  If you want to set up a computer where people can browse the web and not fuck up much, it's also great.  But games—sure, you can get some things to work with WINE, but it's not fun at all.  Stick to Windows.  Or dual-boot, if you want to have a Linux around to play on too.

If you're going to set up a server box, though, Linux is a great way to go.
NaNo word count: 50,180 (done with NaNo, but not with the story ...)
Ons & Offs (generalities and explanations) | New Ons & Offs (checklist) | Apologies & Absences

Cythieus

Quote from: RiderKarma on November 04, 2009, 05:24:52 PM
I spent a month on Ubuntu. Instead of gaining nebulous concepts like "stability" I instead lost familiarity and the ability to play new games. I had to relearn nearly everything just to get the basics functioning and in the process did nothing but waste time, because there wasn't a single advantage. Windows is quite stable if you know what you're doing (and I very much do). I would have been better off spending that time in Mac OS.
Quote from: Chris Brady on November 04, 2009, 11:30:50 PM
Four the four months I was stuck with it, I found Ubuntu confusing and overly complicated.  Also, being a gamer, WINE sucked dead donkey balls with a gusto that should be reserved for your favourite lolipop flavour.

As long as the games I love are on Windows, I will stick with it.

These are the typical things I hear about Linux.

Soran

Hi folks, lovely discussion.

FIRST OF ALL - XP MODE on windows 7. Right click on the program in question, select properties, compatibility tab , select the compatibility you want, click apply...simples! That's the only mode I know of for making programs compatible.

Ok, I have got Vista Ultimate 64 bit running on one of my hard drives. After service pack 2, works lovely, no issues, although it never liked my PCi express creative XFI sound card

I also have Windows 7 Professional, for the most part works like a dream.

If you have Word (I write my pots in word) I pinned it to the start menu and it gives me shortcuts to my latest rp's. (10 short cuts) Very cool! Same with media players (Use VLC player for greatest range of formats...it's free too!)

Most of my games work. My old Starfleet command 3 refuses to work and games with starforce are an issue. (X2 the threat and X3 the return)However most gaming sites have work arounds so starforce isn't installed. Homeworld 2 is stuck in the past not believing a pci express card exists, but it does still work, despite the irritating message.

I have a triple boot pc  (XP pro, Vista Ultimate 64 and Windows 7 64 professional) and with the exception of some companies who have yet to release compatible drivers for Windows 7 for certain hardware....Asus, I talking to you..it works quickly and efficiently.

There, now I'm off to bed. :)

Have fun!

Cythieus

Quote from: Soran on November 16, 2009, 05:32:19 PM
Hi folks, lovely discussion.

FIRST OF ALL - XP MODE on windows 7. Right click on the program in question, select properties, compatibility tab , select the compatibility you want, click apply...simples! That's the only mode I know of for making programs compatible.

Ok, I have got Vista Ultimate 64 bit running on one of my hard drives. After service pack 2, works lovely, no issues, although it never liked my PCi express creative XFI sound card

I also have Windows 7 Professional, for the most part works like a dream.

If you have Word (I write my pots in word) I pinned it to the start menu and it gives me shortcuts to my latest rp's. (10 short cuts) Very cool! Same with media players (Use VLC player for greatest range of formats...it's free too!)

Most of my games work. My old Starfleet command 3 refuses to work and games with starforce are an issue. (X2 the threat and X3 the return)However most gaming sites have work arounds so starforce isn't installed. Homeworld 2 is stuck in the past not believing a pci express card exists, but it does still work, despite the irritating message.

I have a triple boot pc  (XP pro, Vista Ultimate 64 and Windows 7 64 professional) and with the exception of some companies who have yet to release compatible drivers for Windows 7 for certain hardware....Asus, I talking to you..it works quickly and efficiently.

There, now I'm off to bed. :)

Have fun!

There's actually a full on XP mode somewhere, I think you have to download it.

http://windows7center.com/news/windows-xp-mode-screenshot-tour/

Soran

ooo, nice, I'll check that out. cheers matey!  :o