WTO chief warns of looming political unrest

Started by The Overlord, February 08, 2009, 08:03:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Zakharra on February 10, 2009, 08:50:38 PM
A 4 day work week would damage the economy. People and companies in the US are not geared for working only 4 days a week. Some companies could do it, but that would leave a lot of other companies without adaquate workers to do the work. They could not hire more people either since thay do not necessarily have the money to hire more workers. Unless they moved to 10 hour work days. Which makes it more.. likely. I can see advocate groups demanding that the workers (provbably union types) get a paid day off, so they wouldn't loose any monetary benefit.

Probably quite a few people in high places won't like it, but we may not have much os a choice.  We could save millions of barrels of oil a year getting commuter cars off the road one day a week.  That, and we work too hard in America anyway.  Much of the fruit of our labor goes to the wealthy elite anyway, and to interest payments and overconsumption. 

Zakharra

Now that's a first. We 'work too hard'? I never thought I'd hear that being said. If we do move to a 4 day work week, there will be one of two options. Four 10 hour work days, or people actually loosing a full day's work in wages. If the latter was done, you can bet there would be people screaming that either the company should pay to cover the lost wages, or that the government should give out a benefit to cover the lost wages.

I doubt people would stay home either. with an extra day of leisure, they'd either go out and have fun (burning gas to do it) or find another second job to cover the expenses, thereby putting them back on the road as they go to and from work.

The Overlord

Quote from: TyTheDnDGuy on February 10, 2009, 09:43:02 PM
  That, and we work too hard in America anyway. 

We do. For a lot of people, that's all they know.

Oniya

From what I understand, the four day week was supposed to be four 10 hour days, eliminating one 'necessary' round trip per week.  As for it resulting in more 'leisure' travel - who's got the money to travel any more?  :P
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zakharra

OldSchoolGamer

Perhaps...but in the meantime I and a lot of people could use more time to ourselves, and with our families.

How many times have people on their deathbeds lamented that they wish they'd spent more time at the office?

Trieste

I've worked a schedule of 4 10-hour days before. I miss it. The 2 extra hours in the day really weren't that bad, and the extra day off was more than worth it. Way more than worth it.

OldSchoolGamer

Quote from: Trieste on February 11, 2009, 09:36:01 PM
I've worked a schedule of 4 10-hour days before. I miss it. The 2 extra hours in the day really weren't that bad, and the extra day off was more than worth it. Way more than worth it.

I would just as soon work 4 eight-hour days.  I say let the wealthy elite skim less of the fruits of MY labor, and make the layers of bureaucrats and politicians taking a third of my income for taxes get real jobs.

The Overlord