A Bard's Tale (Recruiting for high fantasy adventure!)

Started by Phoenixrisen, April 18, 2011, 10:07:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phoenixrisen

I'll preface this by saying that the major reason that this is going here instead of in the Non-Adult area is because I would like this to have to possibility of going outside of the realms of PG-13 with dynamic, tortured characters and situations and detail levels that may not be appropriate for younger viewers so to speak. I don't intend for this to be all about sex, or driven by it, but if it comes up, better to let things play out and not leave them ambiguous. My main concern with rating would be in the situations that the characters may encounter, combat-wise, and mentally/emotionally along the way. There's a story being told, a point A to point B type story, I want deep, gritty character development (as possible), and to take what could be a very stereotypical fantasy situation and make it unique and engaging.

Now that that stuff is out of the way...

Quote from: Diaries of A Duke, Volume IIIAll know of this war, and the making of the grave land of Todesfalle, but it is said that deep within the depths of that fell forest lies something that should not be. The Gate to the Shadows, the realms from which all dreams and nightmare's are born. The Three have foretold the power that can be found there. The power to take what you dream, and make it a reality, but woe be it to he who is not a master of himself that enters through the Gate. Few attempt such foolishness, and perhaps the creatures that plague our southern most borders do us good for that. Few wish to enter that dread forest and face even the weakest of the creatures that they face. Even still, we lose more year after year to that damned land, one can only hope that they find peace in the Shadow.

This was the tale that had driven her to this fair, and Rain was not going to be turned away. She had lived too long in the shadow of The Duke, and was only just now coming to realize how very much worse Daemion was. She had been so very, very naive, but that was gone now. She knew that she could never save The Duke, would never make him a good person, so she was going get Morrin back, steal back that which He had destroyed if it was the last thing she ever did. Alone, she did not have the power, but if the tales were true, she would have her way. She simply could not do it alone.

The small bard stepped onto the stage, her flame red hair dancing in the breeze where it was not confined beneath the braided net she had made of its top most layer. With its overabundance, she scare needed the burgundy and black velvet clothing that adorned her body in its fitted splendor, marking her as Court Bard to those who knew anything of such things. There were familiar faces in the crowd, some welcome, and others not so, ever the performer, she smiled brightly, and dropped into a most elegant curtsy. She was after all, one of the main events, she would not disappoint those that had come to see her.

"Today," She called out, and waited for the sounds in the crowd to die down. "I bring you a tale, a tale I wish to prove." She paused for dramatic effect, only heightened by sudden, dead silence. "I will tell you my tale, and then, I shall I speak to whomever wish to help me prove it. Many of you know me, by reputation, if not by name, and I promise you, that if you help me, I will write you a tale the like of which the world has never known, and you will go down in history as a hero." She felt a flash of triumph as Daemion's face went red, but knew that he would do nothing while she was on this stage. The Duke, for all she hated him, protected her in that way. Daemion did not dare harm her in a fashion that could be reported upon. Later, when they were alone, she could well be in trouble, but she didn't intend to be alone with him ever again. A cool, regale smile curved her lips more sincerely than she had smiled in several weeks. "Now that I've caught your attention, I give to you, The Dreamer and the Shadows..."

For clarification, this is a world of my creation, in case that wasn't obvious. There is a lore and a history that goes along with this, but I'm not going to bog you down with all of that at this point. I've also been working on some basic maps. The important part of this world for the sake of the roleplay would be Atlantis, pardon names, they were all from mythical places in the original world concept I came up with years ago, with strong influences from those particular quarters, and through the years I just haven't gotten around changing them. Mostly because I kind of suck at naming things.

Anyway, I continue. Atlantis is an island continent, one of the three true continents of the world, and the smallest. There are several kingdoms, but we can go into more of that later, if people are interested. The starting area would be in Alexandria, near the border of Eden (see, I told you you'd recognize the names) in a town called Dalos where every year there is a gigantic Midsummer Fair. Your character would be someone who was there for whatever reason, it's kind of like a World Fair, so there are a lot of barter/job opportunities, it draws lots of people, that's why she chose to make this pronouncement there. For whatever reason, they decide to go along with her.

I don't have any requirements for group size, but I would like at least two or three players. For storytelling/GMing style, I was hoping to do something that I've never tried before, and have it semi-narrated by Rain, my major NPC. This would primarily be used for mood, and to help things along if we hit a snag that we needed to just gloss over to get on with things. This would also, I would hope, facilitate easy character insertion/removal if someone wanted to join after it got started, or needed to leave suddenly and without being able to kill their character off, or write them out.

I think that's about it. Any comments, questions, or general indications of interest are welcome. Thank you all for your time.

Information for Character Creation:

This is a magical world, magic exists, and is decently common in its weaker forms. Truly powerful magics are extremely rare amongst humans and generally run in families.

The fae creatures, elves, nymphs, etc, are much more prone to magic. Some are even born with gifts such as telepathy, and empathy, but they are rarely consistent, and take a great deal of will power and discipline to become dependably useful. However, if thinking of making a fae character, do keep in mind that many of them keep to themselves, and most choose to remain in Eden, or less populated area's to the continent. Fae are at their strongest in Eden, as it is the worlds connection to Faerie, their place of origin.

It is safe to say, that if you can find it in folklore or D&D(most of which is based off of folklore) or anything like that, you can find a version of it somewhere on this world, but, when the world was created, and the creatures fled their old home in the wake of the human betrayal, the large races felt too confined by the continent, it's really not that big, and left it for other lands. There were human allies that came with them, and those human allies, and the fae creatures are mostly what remained on the continent.

If you have an idea for a race that you've seen somewhere, or something entirely new, PM me and we can talk about it. As long as you don't end up with something horribly unbalanced, or that just doesn't really fit, I'm pretty easy to work with.

Another thing to note, while the continent is semi-tropical there are all types of climates that can be found. There's even a desert country complete with wandering nomads, the Ceresian Mountains(up in Eden) that are snow-capped year round, and everything in between, skin, hair and eye color are often a condition of the environment in which your people live. This applies to all races, these colors can be just about anything, especially if there's a reason for.

Deities

The Lady:The worlds creator, there are several different myths surrounding her, the most common, and widely held, that she was not always a deity, but at one time, just like one of them. She's also been said to be rather meddlesome, though encountering someone who's ever actually seen her (or claimed to have) is very rare. She is described as having hair made of red gold, eyes that are never the same color from one second to the next, and never without a white tiger. As such, they are considered sacred, and killing one is anathema to most peoples save in the case of the animal going mad.

The Cat: The Lady's consort, he's a creature of chaos, and never is there a story of The Lady without him making some appearance. His looks are never the same from tale to tale, and one is left with the impression that there are either several of him, or he's a shapechanger.

The Three:They are the Fates. The two sisters spin and weave the lives of mortals as the dictates of their mother's book tell them to do so. They create the law that it is said all others, including the gods must follow. While it is possible to bend the fates that are decreed, there will always be a consequence somewhere, and to unhinge them too far could cause the collapse of all that is.

We can go into particulars of where characters are from after I have the maps up, and a little bit about each of the countries up. Also keep in mind, that Dalos is a port city, so there's the possibility of a character being from another part of the world altogether. If you want that to be the case, PM and we'll talk about it. I only have vague ideas for the rest of the world, but I'll be willing to work with you. I'd prefer not to have more than one character from a different continent simply because it's not easy to come or go from this continent to others, and so travelers between them are rare.

Points to Ponder During Character Creation:
What are they, and aren't they good at?
What do they fear, and what can't they live without?
What limiters do they have?
What makes them tick?
Do they use weapons, magic, words?
How do they handle conflict?
What do they look like? Is there something that makes them physically distinctive?
How old are they, not only in years, but mentally.
What is it that they want? Why do they seek the power of the Shadow, or is it fame that they're after?
What's gotten them to this point in their life?

Now, by no means do I need a complete answer to every single one of those questions right away, but they're things to think on, and work out however suits you best. They will be important later, in a land of nightmares, your own mind is your worst enemy.

As for classes, this is free form, it's pretty much entirely up to you to decide what your character does, and where they came from and so on and so forth.

Character Sheet:

[center][b][u]Basic Information:[/u][/b][/center]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] How old they are physically?
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Profession:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]

[center][b][u]Appearance:[/u][/b][/center]
[b]Age:[/b] How old do they appear?
[b]Hair:[/b]
[b]Eyes:[/b]
[b]Height and Weight:[/b]
[b]Physical Description:[/b] Physique, tattoos, general clothing and hair wear choices if not covered elsewhere, skin tone, scars, anything else that comes to mind.

[center][b][u]Personality:[/u][/b][/center]
[b]Age:[/b] How old do they act?
[b]Likes:[/b]
[b]Dislikes:[/b]
[b]Phobias:[/b]
[b]When it comes to interacting with others I:[/b]
[b]I believe that:[/b]Moral values go here.

[center][b][u]Equipment:[/u][/b][/center]
[b]Weapons and Armor:[/b] If you're a mage with battle abilities, this is where you tell us about them as well.
[b]I never leave home without:[/b] Items of personal value belong here.
[b]When it comes to money I'm:[/b] Money shouldn't be all that important to the game, but are they wealthy, poor? These can effect the rest of the character as well.

[center][b][u]Other Important Stuff:[/u][/b][/center]
[b]When I'm scared I:[/b]
[b]The thing I want most but would never tell anyone about is:[/b]
[b]I'm lonely when:[/b]
[b]It hurts when:[/b]
[b]The things you need to know about my past are:[/b] Go ahead and keep this fairly vague, while I usually like super detailed histories, and try to write them myself. I think we should focus more on the present and future. By all means note down traumatic events and the like, I'd just like to look more at how they've shaped the person that you're playing now, as opposed to simply what happened. Hope that made sense.
[b]I wish to go to the Shadow because:[/b] Sorry, I forgot to put this in when I first made the sheet everyone. It was five something in the morning, and I'd gotten very little sleep, please forgive me.

That is by no means a fully exhaustive list of what you can include. If there's something else that you can think of that you want to add for your character by all means. Also, don't feel like you have to fill out every little thing, though it would be appreciated.

A note on character pictures, I by no means require photo realistic, it can be hard to find in photograph what you're looking for, but I require that if you're even going to have an image:
It be realistic in appearance. I would prefer nothing cartoony or anime.
It be aligned on the right or left side, so that the character sheet can move on around it.
It be in addition to a physical description, and not take the place of one.

I think that may about sum it up. If there are any other questions or comments please, let me know. :-)
~A full heart has room for all things, an empty heart room for nothing.~
PM's and Discord messages always welcome.
New folks friendly.

Write a love story with me? Updated 3/30
Curious how to fan the flames?
Updated 9/21

Reia

This sounds very interesting. Count me in. :)
[tr][td]

Updated: 03/24/19
[/td][td]
Updated: 06/24/12
[/td][td]
Updated: 07/20/15
[/td][td]
Posted: 11/24/14
[/td][td]
Updated: 03/04/19
[/td][/tr][/table]

Kate

my 2 cents.

Firstly love to be part of it - but I do like extreme themes... have a look at my ons and offs - not sure if thats your cup of tea or not but let me know if it is.

As far as naming things go from what i can tell you fall into the trap many budding writers making - thinking of vowels -

try and think of constenants eg .. try random 2 or three then afterwards apply vowels, its a lot easier for names to appear.

tw => Twain'winter

Nlm => Nulnholm

ghr => Grehera

Phoenixrisen

Thank you both for your interest, and thank you Kate, for that advice. :-) I'll try it, and see what happens. I have no issue with extreme themes in this case at all, there's been a lot of abuse in our little bards past, and I would like for the characters involved to be very real people, with: issues, catch-ups, phobias, addictions of one form or another. Something to make them unique, and most especially, something to make them vulnerable.

Now that I have a couple of you, I should probably talk a little bit about characters. This is a magical world, magic exists, and is decently common in its weaker forms. Truly powerful magics are extremely rare amongst humans and generally run in families.

The fae creatures, elves, nymphs, etc, are much more prone to magic. Some are even born with gifts such as telepathy, and empathy, but they are rarely consistent, and take a great deal of will power and discipline to become dependably useful. However, if thinking of making a fae character, do keep in mind that many of them keep to themselves, and most choose to remain in Eden, or less populated area's to the continent. Fae are at their strongest in Eden, as it is the worlds connection to Faerie, their place of origin.

It is safe to say, that if you can find it in folklore or D&D(most of which is based off of folklore) or anything like that, you can find a version of it somewhere on this world, but, when the world was created, and the creatures fled their old home in the wake of the human betrayal, the large races felt too confined by the continent, it's really not that big, and left it for other lands. There were human allies that came with them, and those human allies, and the fae creatures are mostly what remained on the continent.

If you have an idea for a race that you've seen somewhere, or something entirely new, PM me and we can talk about it. As long as you don't end up with something horribly unbalanced, or that just doesn't really fit, I'm pretty easy to work with.

Now I've started to ramble, and I need to get back on track.

Points to Ponder During Character Creation:
What are they, and aren't they good at?
What do they fear, and what can't they live without?
What limiters do they have?
What makes them tick?
Do they use weapons, magic, words?
How do they handle conflict?
What do they look like? Is there something that makes them physically distinctive?
How old are they, not only in years, but mentally.
What is it that they want? Why do they seek the power of the Shadow, or is it fame that they're after?
What's gotten them to this point in their life?

Now, by no means do I need a complete answer to every single one of those questions right away, but they're things to think on, and work out however suits you best. They will be important later, in a land of nightmares, your own mind is your worst enemy.

If you have any questions, post them here or PM which ever you're most comfortable with, and I'd be interested to see what you've come up with for character ideas so far.
New folks friendly.

Updated 9/21

orderNchaos

WOW...lots of thought went into this.  I really like it.

I'd like to join if you have space.  I've got a lot of years of experience playing D&D/fantasy type characters so this sounds right up my alley.  Any thoughts on character types/classes?

This sounds like the type of world that could use a good elvish ranger.  ;)

Phoenixrisen

Quote from: orderNchaos on April 20, 2011, 01:21:40 PM
WOW...lots of thought went into this.  I really like it.

Why thank you for thinking so. I try not to do things halfway. I've been working on the world on and off for years, so I'd really hope that was fairly well developed. :-)

There's always room for one more, I'm hoping to keep this an open RP, given that I'm new here, and haven't really started RPing much, I doubt that I'll get more than six players at any given time. That's where I've decided to tentatively draw the line at for now. Many more than that all in the same interactions can really bog down posts. I have no issue with one post a week or two, but not everyone is that dedicated. I don't blame them, waiting can get boring.

An elven ranger would be welcome, but do make him your own. :-) There are a lot of different examples of elven rangers out there after all. As for classes, this is free form, it's pretty much entirely up to you to decide what your character does, and where they came from and so on and so forth. Speaking of that, I should probably post up the political map of the continent, look for it to be added here or in the main as an edit. I warn you know, it's my first attempt at making a map in Photoshop, so it may look a little corny.

Another thing to note, while the continent is semi-tropical there are all types of climates that can be found. There's even a desert country complete with wandering nomads, the Ceresian Mountains(up in Eden) that are snow-capped year round, and everything in between, skin, hair and eye color are often a condition of the environment in which your people live. This applies to all races, these colors can be just about anything, especially if there's a reason for.

Another thing that I forgot, deities. There are several of them, I don't have a full vast pantheon all my own, but the most well known across all races I do have worked out. There are three of them, or five if you want to get technical they are as follows:

The Lady:The worlds creator, there are several different myths surrounding her, the most common, and widely held, that she was not always a deity, but at one time, just like one of them. She's also been said to be rather meddlesome, though encountering someone who's ever actually seen her (or claimed to have) is very rare. She is described as having hair made of red gold, eyes that are never the same color from one second to the next, and never without a white tiger. As such, they are considered sacred, and killing one is anathema to most peoples save in the case of the animal going mad.

The Cat: The Lady's consort, he's a creature of chaos, and never is there a story of The Lady without him making some appearance. His looks are never the same from tale to tale, and one is left with the impression that there are either several of him, or he's a shapechanger.

The Three:They are the Fates. The two sisters spin and weave the lives of mortals as the dictates of their mother's book tell them to do so. They create the law that it is said all others, including the gods must follow. While it is possible to bend the fates that are decreed, there will always be a consequence somewhere, and to unhinge them too far could cause the collapse of all that is.

We can go into particulars of where characters are from after I have the maps up, and a little bit about each of the countries up. Also keep in mind, that Dalos is a port city, so there's the possibility of a character being from another part of the world altogether. If you want that to be the case, PM and we'll talk about it. I only have vague ideas for the rest of the world, but I'll be willing to work with you. I'd prefer not to have more than one character from a different continent simply because it's not easy to come or go from this continent to others, and so travelers between them are rare.

A note as well on elves, they were essentially the fae foot soldiers during the war, and the skirmishes since. That being the case, if you have a decently old elf, there's a good chance that this has effected their lives in some way. Many were called back to Faerie to fight. A good majority of them didn't come home. While this isn't all that important to the plot of this RP, and so I'm not going to go too far into detail here, it could be important to a character. If you want this to be the case, ask here or PM, and I'll give you some insight. The reason that I don't just throw said knowledge out to the wolves is this, one there's a lot to think about already when dealing with an entirely unfamiliar world, and two, especially if you're playing a human, or someone who may as well be human for who they live, they just wouldn't know beyond vague rumor. It's much easier to not metagame, if you don't know.

That said the basics that people know about said war: The worst of it happened a long time ago. It was between the Fae and Demons, over territory, seems to be the general consensus. Their home dimensions are linked, and both got pulled away from the human home of origin.  No one's really sure who started it, only that despite not being fought in their dimension, Todesfalle leaked through because of it. They were linked to the Shadow because of it. Then again it could just be a bedtime story delighted over by aged scholars, and told to children to teach them lessons about getting along. After all, who'd ever seen a demon?

Which leads us to demons, and if there's anyone who feels that they just must play a demon, which I don't encourage, then we really have to talk privately.. Also note, there are no devils, nor is there a hell. I think that about sums it up.

Except for one last thing, since it seems we're kind of on our way towards getting started, does anyone have any clue where the best place to put this would be???
New folks friendly.

Updated 9/21

TheHangedOne

Room for one more? Perhaps a wise sage/sorceror type?  :-) As orderNchaos said, you've put a lot of thought and effort into this setting, and it really shows. It looks like it has a lot of potential, and I'd like to sign up.

As far as placement on the board, what about NCE? Non-consensual exotic.  Sex and deviancy isn't the focus, but their will be opportunities for it to arise, so that makes the most sense to me.
A&A's and O&O's *Status: Here and there | Games: Aiming for punctuality*
"In prosperity, our friends know us; in adversity, we know our friends."
"In the ocean of knowledge, only those who want to learn will see the land."
"Before you roar, please take a deep breath."
Check out my poet tree!

Aporia

Room for another, I hope?

You've clearly put a lot of thought into this, and I'd be much obliged to take part in this roleplay. I haven't had enough time to come up with the workings for my character, but I'll get back to you on that.   

Phoenixrisen

:o I never expected quite this much interest... Of course I'm not gonna turn you guys away. Especially not before I've even seen characters from everyone. I think I may just about have reached my party limit at this point, assuming you all stick around, but that's far from definite. I have a fairly active mind, and could likely come up with some sub plot that would allow for a whole other group altogether if it really came down to it. I'm just not the most experienced as a GM, so that could get a little stressful...

@TheHangedMan: You're right, it does have the potential to get really dark, deviant, and so forth. It probably would be best to put it somewhere that will limit it as little as possible, limiters that keep things from developing to their fullest kill an RP just as quickly and just as dead a lack of dedicated and creative writers. I'd like to give this every chance to succeed.

Now, on final question, do people usually use these threads here as their OOC/ character sheet area, or should I set one of those up in the applicable forum?
New folks friendly.

Updated 9/21

TheHangedOne

If you'd like some help, either with the GMing itself, or just venting about how stressful it can be (I, personally, find it quite a bit stressful), I'd be glad to help in any way you might want.

Definitely agreed about the limiters.

As for using this for a character sheet and OOC...I've seen people do that, and I've also seen people do what you suggest. Honestly, I think it's better to have everything be separated, but ensure that the first post in each area has a link to the others.  That way everything is neat and tidy.

Edit: What's up with character sheets?  ;)
Check out my poet tree!

Kate

Ok, love the maturity implied in posts so far.

Firstly I found if you want this to have mature writing and be beleivable you have to be brutal on what sort of character concept pictures are valid.

If they are a photo or photo-realistic then it seems to work. THe moment some are comical amine stuff ... it doesn't, people start writing comically (not intentionally
but times it feels like a commic to them when they are interacting with a character that literally looks like they are from a comic book).

If you have elfves etc ... for it to be believable ... one should take the time to hunt down a pic that is.

OrderNChaos... use one like this for your elf-ranger Feel free to take this one as I will not be playing a ranger / if you dont like it .. np.

I know "photo realism" for a character concept is a brutal large requirement but if all obey it ... its worth it, it will make it feel like a "real world",
more importantly for me for a selfish perspective when extreme things happen (which I do like and happy to have branch off on a different thread within an elli-area its that suitable for .. ideally extreme is permitted) it feels more real ( and yes I would be more likely to get off thinking of it).

Phoenixrisen

Thank you again HangedMan, I can't believe I forgot character sheets.  :-[ I'll let you know if I need help with the GMing or managing GMing related stress. I really do appreciate that offer.

Character Sheet:

[center][b][u]Basic Information:[/u][/b][/center]
[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Age:[/b] How old they are physically?
[b]Race:[/b]
[b]Profession:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]

[center][b][u]Appearance:[/u][/b][/center]
[b]Age:[/b] How old do they appear?
[b]Hair:[/b]
[b]Eyes:[/b]
[b]Height and Weight:[/b]
[b]Physical Description:[/b] Physique, tattoos, general clothing and hair wear choices if not covered elsewhere, skin tone, scars, anything else that comes to mind.

[center][b][u]Personality:[/u][/b][/center]
[b]Age:[/b] How old do they act?
[b]Likes:[/b]
[b]Dislikes:[/b]
[b]Phobias:[/b]
[b]When it comes to interacting with others I:[/b]
[b]I believe that:[/b]Moral values go here.

[center][b][u]Equipment:[/u][/b][/center]
[b]Weapons and Armor:[/b] If you're a mage with battle abilities, this is where you tell us about them as well.
[b]I never leave home without:[/b] Items of personal value belong here.
[b]When it comes to money I'm:[/b] Money shouldn't be all that important to the game, but are they wealthy, poor? These can effect the rest of the character as well.

[center][b][u]Other Important Stuff:[/u][/b][/center]
[b]When I'm scared I:[/b]
[b]The thing I want most but would never tell anyone about is:[/b]
[b]I'm lonely when:[/b]
[b]It hurts when:[/b]
[b]The things you need to know about my past are:[/b] Go ahead and keep this fairly vague, while I usually like super detailed histories, and try to write them myself. I think we should focus more on the present and future. By all means note down traumatic events and the like, I'd just like to look more at how they've shaped the person that you're playing now, as opposed to simply what happened. Hope that made sense.
[b]I wish to go to the Shadow because:[/b] Sorry, I forgot to put this in when I first made the sheet everyone. It was five something in the morning, and I'd gotten very little sleep, please forgive me.

That is by no means a fully exhaustive list of what you can include. If there's something else that you can think of that you want to add for your character by all means. Also, don't feel like you have to fill out every little thing, though it would be appreciated.

A note on character pictures, I by no means require photo realistic, it can be hard to find in photograph what you're looking for, but I require that if you're even going to have an image:
It be realistic in appearance. I would prefer nothing cartoony or anime.
It be aligned on the right or left side, so that the character sheet can move on around it.
It be in addition to a physical description, and not take the place of one.

I think that may about sum it up. If there are any other questions or comments please, let me know. :-)
New folks friendly.

Updated 9/21

Aurora Wayland

Hello. I have to say that this looks great and would love to take a stab at something this expansive. Are all the spots full?

TheHangedOne

Basic Information:
Name: Oberym  Valeth
Race: Human
Profession: Sage/Seer

Appearance:
Hair: Black with five equidistant dark red streaks.
Eyes: Slate gray.
Height and Weight: 5'9 180 lbs.
Physical Description: Oberym is a bit portlier than the average sage; aside from that, he has a fairly normal frame, though his legs are powerfully built, indicating that travel by foot is a common part of his life. He is Caucasian, and manages to avoid the pasty paleness that many in his profession acquire.   His hair comes down to his shoulders, and he persistently has stubble on his chin. Along his back, chest, and both arms, their are ritual tattoos that have been branded into him; these are symbols of power and amplification, believed to aid one in the use of magic, as well as symbols which venerate those fickle deities that preside over knowledge and mystical and arcane matters. Typically fond of light clothing, he nonetheless often dons a plain, brown robe, and crimson colored headband.  His short, leather traveler's boots are well worn. He carries a wooden staff that looks similar to, but distinctly different from, a shepherd's crook.

Personality:
Likes: Reading, books, divination, practicing his arts, traveling, learning.
Dislikes: Interruptions, rain, willing ignorance.
Phobias:Has a profound fear of spiders, and a mild form of claustrophobia.
When it comes to interacting with others I: Tend to be reactive rather than proactive. Social interaction is not always easy for me.
I believe that: Good and evil exist in the world, but things are rarely one or the other.  One should always strive to perform good deeds, but when justified, should never shy away from acts that may be deemed evil. In the end, it is all about maintaining the balance between the two.

Equipment:
Weapons and Armor: His robe and staff could hardly be called armor and weapon, though the latter could be one. Carries a small dagger for utilitarian purposes, but this could be used as a weapon. As for magic...
Fireball: A simple, yet incredibly taxing spell, the caster gathers a large quantity of magical energy, and releases it as a flaming projectile. This spell is quite modular; it can produce 'balls' that are the size of a single spark, or enormous boulders of raging inferno.  As the size increases, the amount of time required to perform the spell, and the energy used, increases.
Bind wounds: A simple healing charm, this spell causes bleeding wounds to be sealed. However, this will leave scar tissue behind.
Purge: Causes poisons and toxins in the system to pool in the stomach; the target of the spell is then wracked with a fit of coughing and gagging that ends in them vomiting up the poison. An unpleasant experience, to be sure, but far better than dying...
Paralytic Wave: Fires a bolt of pure magical energy at a target. If the hit connects, it stuns them.
Sleep: A simple charm that knocks the target into slumber. This slumber is easily awoken from. Those with strong willpower, or those belonging to a race that does not require sleep, can shrug off the spell.
I never leave home without: Since trips from home typically involve travel, I always ensure that I have several days worth of preserved meat, nuts, berries, flatbread, and waterskins, as well as herbs for making tea. Collapsible, single person tent.  Seven inch, double bladed dagger made from bronze. Eight ounce metal flask containing brandy.  If not traveling, then just the last two items.
When it comes to money I'm: Moderately wealthy; I come from a rich background, but most of that fortune has been spent on my home, and things like books, alchemy equipment, etc.

Other Important Stuff:
When I'm scared I: Typically back away quietly, and find some place safe. If no such place exists, or I am cornered, whatever is in my way will receive a magical smiting.
The thing I want most but would never tell anyone about is: A mate with intellectual prowess on par with my own.
I'm lonely when: I see couples.
It hurts when: Pain is a state of mind, and one which I tend to avoid drawing near. However, it is painful when my plans do not work out correctly, or something I thought was true is false.
The things you need to know about my past are: I come from a long line of sages, and so, my occupation is not surprising. I am quite gifted intellectually, as I was constantly surrounded by books, and both of my parents were well educated in many areas.  Because of my power and family reputation, I tend to be quite aloof; I never had friends when  growing up, save for my ever faithful familiar, Belda, a black cat.  About a year ago, I invested in the purchase of a pony to help carry my gear when I go off traveling.
I wish to go into the Shadow because: The Shadow is a true enigma. It is one of the few things left in this world that we humans do not understand. Everyone has their theory, yes, and conjectures can be drawn based on anecdotal evidence, I suppose, but nobody knows the truth of the matter. I am driven to find this truth, for that is my nature.

Other: Oberym has a familiar, a type of spirit in the form of an animal, that assists him, and is unswervingly loyal to him. His familiar is named Belda, and it is a particularly large, all black cat.
Check out my poet tree!

Phoenixrisen

Thank you HangedMan, for a very good example of how I was hoping the sheet would be filled out. Though it occurs to me that I haven't really told anyone about the tiny little bard that will be leading them into this adventure they're about to undergo...

Basic Information:
Name: Rain
Race: Human?
Profession: Court Bard to the Duke of Mist Haven

Appearance:
Hair: My hair is a bright flaming red cloak that falls around me when I leave it unbound and covers me to my hips. Most often I keep it bound up in braids, and the fantastical styles preferred by the court.
Eyes: My eyes are the color of cherry amber, and rather large, framed by long lashes only a shade or so darker than my hair.
Height and Weight: 4'11 73lbs
Physical Description: I am small, there is not getting around it. I look as if a strong wind could blow me over, and when I was young, they did. I have no tattoos, or other such adornment, though I have seen some that have made me consider going through the pain. I wear clothing of several fashions, depending on my location and what I am about. When traveling you will often find me in sturdy cotton, or leather in rich earthy tones. When I am on stage I wear dazzling colors that draw the eye, and fashions that flow with my movements. At court, you will often find me dressed in the highest fashions, in dark mourning colors whenever I can get away with it. The one unifying theme to all of my clothing is that it will always fully cover my back and shoulders, though my front may be exposed to with an inch of indecent when I am onstage. I'm very self conscious of my back, and the scars that it bears.

Personality:
Age: Sporadic. There are some instances in which she may act like a child, and others where she will behave in a manner far older than she is.
Likes: I adore animals and children, and am extremely curious about new, or novel things. I love kind people, and above all I adore music, and dancing.
Dislikes: I can't abide bullies, or those that use their power to destroy others. I do not like being stuck in the Duke's court, and I'm not overly comfortable with strange women as they are often far from kind to me. I do not know why.
Phobias: I fear being alone more than anything else. I have never been alone, not since I was very small.
When it comes to interacting with others I: am often the one to initiate the conversation. I enjoy people in general, and the new ideas that they can give me to ponder. I am always looking for new stories to tell, and where better to look than those around me that deserve for their tale to be told.
I believe that: if you love someone, you will do everything that you can to see them well, and happy. If you believe that something is right or true, you will not stop until you have done all that you can to see it come to pass. That affection should be shown, in some form, to all that are open to receiving it, regardless of what others think, or feel about you doing so. Most of all I believe in seeking answers, where others see only questions.

Equipment:
Weapons and Armor: I wear no armor, though I carry a rapier, and am well trained, after a fashion, in it's use. The only problem being that I've never actually fought anyone...
I never leave home without: A flute, the first instrument Morrin ever gave me, and locket. A gift from Daemion when I was young, before he showed me what he was truly capable of.
When it comes to money I'm: never in a position to be concerned. I always have coin in my pouch, and my voice could always put more there even if I wasn't so "pampered" by the Duke.

Other Important Stuff:
When I'm scared I: cry, but do all I can to hold my ground anyway. I do not scream.
The thing I want most but would never tell anyone about is: To gain back the one person in the world who ever loved me for all that I was, good and bad.
I'm lonely when: I am surrounded by others that don't care to know me, and when I can not begin to understand those around me.
It hurts when: Others hurt. When I realize how stupidly naive I have been, and begin to question my own motives and beliefs.
The things you need to know about my past are: I have no family. I was an orphan until Morrin took me in. I lived with him for several years learning all that I could, it made him happy, and I liked to please him. Then he disappeared, I never saw him again. I did some stupid things when I could not find him, out of fear and desperation, out of pain. Then I met the Duke, and I learned that he had destroyed Morrin. He took me into my court for my voice and looks, and out of a wish to have me in his bed. I refused, and I was beaten for the sin of refusing to become his wife. I was a little rude about it... Still he wanted to have me, and so I have remained in his court, hoping that I could find, and restore that which he had destroyed if I just tried hard enough. Every year I lose more and more of my freedom as he attempts to subvert me into in marriage bed, but I have no wish to be a Duchess.
I wish to go to the Shadow because: I would destroy the Duke, and regain that which he has stolen from me.
New folks friendly.

Updated 9/21

Reia

Finally back from vacation and will be filling out a character sheet. So much thought has gone into this - I love it!
[tr][td]

[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

TheHangedOne

Quote from: Phoenixrisen on April 22, 2011, 07:05:48 PM
Thank you HangedMan, for a very good example of how I was hoping the sheet would be filled out. Though it occurs to me that I haven't really told anyone about the tiny little bard that will be leading them into this adventure they're about to undergo...
Glad you like.  :-) I edited it to include the bit about the Shadow, and why he wants to go after it. Your bard looks groovy.
Check out my poet tree!

Creeper

Basic Information:
Name: Pill Cobbwicket
Race: Gnome
Profession: Picker/Alchemist

Appearance:
Hair: Bright, greasy red, reaching the midpoint of her neck.
Eyes: Green
Height and Weight: 2'11, 30 lbs
Physical Description: Pill is a small, filthy figure on the city streets. Just another starving individual clad in dirty rags in Dalos. But beneath that greasy red hair burns a mind. Those sunken green eyes carry the sheen of intelligence, of a woman who refuses to give into her situation. Though she reeks of the streets, though her ribs show through her skin, though she drags her feet across the cobblestone, Pill presses on. Her hands and lower arms are pockmarked with small burns from both the hot metal and acids she experiments with. Her clothing is poor; articles pulled from the trash or patchwork creations made from other materials. She is always wearing a flat tan tweed cap. Her pockets are stuffed full of junk and debris. She is currently suffering from the early stages of malnutrition.

Personality:
Age: Like a responsible adult between desperate moments.
Likes: Alchemy, puzzles, books, experimentation, rain and thunderstorms
Dislikes: Hot days, willing ignorance, people who flout their class, radishes
Phobias: Helplessness, dying slow and painfully
When it comes to interacting with others I: Try to determine their wants and needs and work out a deal. If no deal is possible, ignore them.
I believe that: Everyone has a responsibility to do the best they can with what they're given. Jealousy or perceptions of injustice are no excuse.

Equipment:
Weapons and Armor: A good sharp knife, alchemical mixtures, mutagens.
I never leave home without: ... Too many to list. It's mostly inexpensive junk, but everything is valuable if you have a good brain and a plan.
When it comes to money I'm: extremely poor.

Other Important Stuff:
When I'm scared I: Panic and make things explode.
The thing I want most but would never tell anyone about is: I don't think I will make it through the next year.
I'm lonely when: I see happy families.
It hurts when: My mother glares daggers at my back.
The things you need to know about my past are: Nothing. My folks and I are street trash. My mother is disabled and I'm trying to support the both of us.
I wish to go to the Shadow because: I need money, a lot of it, and I'm willing to gamble that there's something expensive out there.
Ons and Offs, yo: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=4370.0

Too tired to post Wednesday night. Posts on Thursday!

Kate

Name:   Lryera Oraldin
True Age: 35
Apparent Age: 20 (See below)
Race: Fae
Profession: Enchantress

Physical Description: 

Portrait: http://features.cgsociety.org/newgallerycrits/g52/2652/2652_1141624880_submedium.jpg
Physique: Lithe 
Tattoos:   None
Piercings:   None
Jewelery: None
Skintone: Fair
Scars: None
Hair: Dark Brown, straight, just past shoulder length no styling
Eyes: Blue
Height and Weight: 5'5 / 80 lbs

Her kin has an ageless dreamy presence which is also mimicked in their voice. This unearthly nature has appeared before in history and is seen as a sign of great ability in the art of enchantment.  Unknown to the Oraldin themselves this is a strong sign they are thoroughly of the fae and not human at all. Although some find it exotic most find it unsettling, to those who do find it uncomfortable rumors of demonic dealings quickly follow.

Personality:

Age: Lryera attempts to act her physical age (that of mid thirties) however her ignorance of the real world and her youthful presence shares many traits of a distant late teenager.
Likes: Lakes and quiet overcast days that have little wind, those talented in the performing arts.
Dislikes: Sun, hot dry days, misquotes, people who shout and of course anyone believing the rumors of her family.
Phobias: That the rumor of their family being a bead to demonic influences is true, fear of being burnt at the stake or buried alive (two of the main punishments if found guilty of demonic affiliation)
When it comes to interacting with others I: Am highly fearful of the likelihood they believe that my family rumors apply to me.
I believe that: Friendships is only gained by assuming honesty will be returned. Those who are untrustworthy are those who claim to know the nature of others, and claim to be objective. Those that desire good or happiness for you should be ones you should see as family.

Skills

• Etiquette
  • Literate

Although my family is well versed in arcane arts, this doesn't mean I know all runes, for all but a handful, your guess is as good as mine concerning their meaning.

• Horse Riding
I know how to keep a horse well groomed and the symptoms of common ailments that plague them, although I don't necessarily know how to heal a horse from such things, I can tell if a horse is fit, well bred and well trained. Although I am a competent rider I doubt my skills are enough to keep my horse focused admits battle, something I hope never to put to the test.

• Magical Enchantments (highly talented)

Unlike warlocks or sorceress I do not shoot lightning from my fingertips.  Although I can enchant anything I can't do so speedily and my craft is highly dependent on crystals or gemstones needed to hold the magics permanently in place. Once done however the magic can effect other objects closely or connected to them. Metal can be enchanted but while in its molten state gem dust has to be mixed in its formation, unfortunately this makes most common metals brittle, as such doing so is only feasible with more expensive metals such as those reserved for jewelry. Metals like gold, platinum or mithril are perfect, but not something most have lying about. 

Enchantment is done while I sleep, during times I enter a dream state where I visualize magical properties being instilled into objects. Powerful enchantments is best done during full moons or with incense, ideally both. Waking me during these dream traces would entail the enchantment process needing to be repeated, a fact that would frustrate me no end. After enchanting this way the following day will seem very dreamlike to me, making me highly distracted by strange things that normally shouldn't gain my attention. During these times I prefer not to be alone and ideally wish to be about someone that is more alert than I am.

Equipment:

Other than what I am wearing (one gown, my knife, a sash and concealed gem pouch along with a few empty ones), items likely will reside in my saddle saddlebags until needed.

Weapons and Armor:

Other than my knife, I also have two small wooden eggs which I have enchanted to become wooden wrens that can fly and will peck at the soft tissues of any about me who seek me ill-fortune. They will only do so for a matter of minutes before returning to my palm and to resume their wooden egg form. These can be used by anyone however (They will bond with the last person to hold them in their palm for one hour.) but I am in need of them now.  If they are highly damaged they turn to a pile of sawdust making their small sapphire eyes easily extracted which can later be reused for enchantment purposes or simply sold.

I never leave home without: My gem pouch that holds stones I need for enchanting.

When it comes to money I'm:

Very wealthy, unfortunately not in a practical sense I can exploit without fear. Although I have a pouch full of assorted gems, presenting these gems as payment over coin is very dangerous for it makes me a target of thievery from those correctly believing I have more. Because I don't have talents in fighting, and far from streetwise, bartering or trade exchanges is something I want others to do for me. As far as gems go I would prefer not to part with them for it would be better that I use them for enchanting items that I can later sell for currency that raises less eyebrows.

When I'm scared I: Run

The thing I want most but would never tell anyone about is:

For lines of enchanters to mix with others so my family isn't considered strange or distrusted

I'm lonely when: I can't see nature flourishing.

It hurts when: I think about where others in my family are or what mobs could have done to them.

The things you need to know about my past are:

Oraldin were recent nobility in an honorary sense. Although their family has no blood connections to royalty, Lryera's grandparents where granted knighthood due to services their enchantments provided the ruling elite during times of war. After which the Oraldins were granted holdings of Evergreen Valley that sported three quaint villages that mainly sold dried berries and carpentry goods. The past year however saw all their titles revoked due to allegations their talents were at least somewhat due to demonic influences. This rumor had been in existence for generations which the Oraldin family deemed peasant gossip, but once Earlen Daraksure, a charismatic man which had the ear of high nobility deemed truth would be in the rumor everything changed. Due to how swift their family was striped from social grace and cast from their lands made previous connections distance themselves from the Oraldins hastily, their closest being the most vocal in agreement of the decision in fear that their own family could be shamed just as quickly.

The Earl now resides over the valley as well as his own estates, but what motivated the earl to be interested in Evergreen or their family, trivial by comparison to his own, is an unknown thorn to the Oraldins.

I wish to go to the Shadow because:

When in the world of dreams I feel it calling me, it needs me, or I need it ? I can't tell. The dreams are hard to make out but I always wake with a feeling that I am doing something very wrong by not trying to get there. I don't know why. Perhaps I am insane, but if I am not I fear I will be if I don't at least try.

Phoenixrisen

Alright, we've got two more character, and we're waiting on a few more. I'm going to rename this into the OOC, and please, anyone who is interested/ still hasn't made a character, feel free to do so, and we'll work onward from there.

It will take a couple days at least for me to get up the IC, and I do want to wait for Reia to make her character, because she's promised us one. If anyone has anything they'd like to say, suggest, or ask about before the story begins, this is that place to do it. If you have the question others might as well. :-) I never expected a turnout quite like this, thanks everyone, it makes me glad I decided to post it.
New folks friendly.

Updated 9/21

Reia

Thanks for waiting for me! I really appreciate it :D I've got my character all lined up - let me know if she'll work out or not:

Basic Information:
Name: Tsuritsa di Veduny
Race: Gitano (descendants of the old Gypsies)
Profession: High Priestess

Appearance:

Hair: Dark brown
Eyes: Unnaturally bright green, seem to glow when dark
Height and Weight: 6ft - 125lbs
Physical Description: Tsuritsa is tall and slim, with long arms and legs that add to her ethereal beauty. Her dark brown hair reaches mid-back and is thick; she normally wears it down, preferring to feel it blowing in the wind. Her skin is soft, pale but easily tanning when she is allowed to sit in the sun for longer than normal periods of time. What really draws others' attention to her, though, are her eyes. They are a bright, unnatural green - so bright that they seem to glow when it's dark. She has tattoos, but keeps them hidden for various reasons, the majority of them being religious in nature and extremely sacred to her. She also has several piercings all over her body, again with religious connotations, and she normally doesn't wear the appropriate jewelry unless in full ceremonial garb.

Personality:
Age: She acts her age, although she is easily pulled down into childish tendendcies - a side-effect of her pampered upbringing. She is also very naïve, an effect of being so sheltered.
Likes: Reading, studying the magicks of her people, listening to her followers and advising them as best as she can.
Dislikes: Cruelty of any kind, ignorance
Phobias: Her greatest fear is losing the love and respect of her people. She's also scared of outliving those around her, her "immortality" bothers her more than she'll admit.
When it comes to interacting with others: Tsuritsa has no problem in interacting with others and is usually very easy to get along with. Occasionally, though, she is liable to pull out her "I'm a priestess, do as I say" card, which can cause problems.
She believes that: There is an inherent goodness in all people, no matter race/gender/etc. She's aware of good and evil, and believes that if given the right care and attention, anyone can be turned away from evil.

Equipment:
Weapons and Armor: She is somewhat powerful and can easily cast spells. However, unless she has a large group to feed power from, she will tire extremely easily - limiting what spells she can cast and how many. The spells she has mastered (the ones that tire her less than others) are:

• light (summoning a medium-sized blue, glowing orb to light the way, dim light, just enough to help see a couple feet ahead)
  • cloaking (can hide herself and her party for short periods of time, longest she's ever achieved was 10 minutes and with 2 people and her horse)
  • food conjuring (she conjures food by calling it in from a special room in her temple, as long as that room is kept stocked she will never go hungry)
  • seeing ahead (this allows her to see several leagues ahead of where she's traveling, giving her a chance to prepare if something is coming - this drains her more than the others and is more of a vague impression than a crystal clear image)
Although she prefers peaceful negotiations, she is trained in sword-fighting (she's better at this than at casting spells, something that frustrates her to no end) and carries her own sword, named Loiza by her people. It was forged by the High Priest of long ago and has been handed down from generation to generation. Loiza is believed to hold the life forces of past High Priests and Priestesses, making it's value greater than anything else she owns. However, the sword has yet to show any true magical properties.
Never leaves home without:

• Loiza
  • Nadya (her horse, been with her since she became a priestess)
  • a dagger that's always strapped to her left thigh
  • a dagger that's always strapped to her right ankle
  • one or two ceremonial gowns and some jewelry
  • simple (by her standards) gowns and shifts (one, two, three, four) that she wears when not performing duties
  • cloak
  • her Holy Book
  • money pouch
When it comes to money: Being the high priestess, Tsuritsa is extremely wealthy. She knows what poverty is, but she doesn't really understand the concept.

Other Important Stuff:
When scared: Turns to her faith, praying to her gods. If the situation calls for it, she'll fight.
The thing she wants most but would never tell anyone about is: She wants to live as a normal person for a while. Having been High Priestess since she was only 12 years old, it's starting to wear down on her.
She's lonely when: When left alone for too long - she thrives on having people around here, be they worshipers or not.
It hurts when: She loses a follower - she cares deeply for her people.
The things you need to know about her past are: Tsuritsa's life has been a very simple and extremely lavish one, as well as very sheltered (she isn't aware of much of the world outside her temple and her people). She was born to the High Priest and Priestess of yester and was giving the title of Reigning Priestess in Training. She took over as High Priestess when her parents died, she was only 12, and, as of yet, a suitable High Priest has yet to be found to help her rule. Her people are simple, but extremely devout to their faith and gods; because of who her parents were, her people worship her and treat her almost like a goddess. Also because of her parents, she not only inherited the High Council's ability to live for longer than usual, her life span seems to have been multiplied more than originally expected - no one knows how long she will live. Tsuritsa also has the ability to pass on some of her life force to those around her, something that she did when she first received Nadya.
She wishes to go to the Shadow because: There are rumors of a great power once held by the now extinct High Council of her people residing in the Shadow. Tsuritsa has given herself the task of finding if it's actually there or not.
[tr][td]

[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Kate

Reia - love her !

I cant wait for the other characters to have profile pics also

Reia

Quote from: Kate on April 24, 2011, 05:52:51 PM
Reia - love her!

Thanks!! She kind of just popped into my head and demanded attention without too much work from my end. :p I love your character as well - especially her whole deal with her family, very interesting.
[tr][td]

[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]

Kate

For a motley crew, on the whole I think we are very well presented.
When we are all on horseback with chins high, I sure we will together be a dashing sight :)

TheHangedOne

;D Definitely looking forward to this rp.
Check out my poet tree!