Interest Check: Superhero RP

Started by Leonis, January 16, 2010, 10:38:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leonis

Anyone want to do a group RP about superheroes and supervillains? I'm currently trying to come up with a setting. I was thinking that it would be interesting if each player was assigned a random generic superpower, and they would be challenged to create a character out of it. I don't know, I'll have to see what the people here think.

Callie Del Noire

I think it would be more fun to do a Paragon's style game (Mutants and Masterminds 'Real world setting' uses stuff like Ultimate Marvel, Heroes and such as sources).

Have paranormals build around a power..but making it random can kind of..well bite.

Leonis

Well, to clarify, your characters must be original, but you can use common superpowers (super strength, super speed, flight, stretchy limbs, etc. etc.)

AthenaNude

I have two questions which I need to ask before delving any deeper:

Freeform or system-based?

Light or Extreme?

Brandon

Ya know guys there's already a large super hero game on Elliquiy that been run by Bishrook for years. The board is here: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?board=249.0

It may or may not be what you're looking for but I figured I would mention it
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

TheVillain

1.) While the generic power then work a character idea is interesting, I'm not sure that it's the best way to get players.

2.) I was under the impression that Bishrook wasn't taking any more players at the moment.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Brandon

Honestly Im not sure what the status of the game is since I stopped playing several years ago. I figured it might be what some people wanted in a super hero roleplay since we created it as an open ended style game

If you're interested in it I would say PM her or write something in the OOC area
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

TheVillain

Too be honest I got curious and PM'ed Bishrook myself, but you can if you wish.
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Elven Sex Goddess

I was going to point out the Century city game.   As I have been off and on with that game.  With multiple of characters heroines and villains.   But I refrained, cause why not another super power game.    I have been involved in a few of these games.  Free form tends to be too much of a lure for god mode with the super powers  with players.   

So a system such as Mutants & Masterminds be good.

The game can be set up with super hero side and the super villain side.       Each group has their own in character thread for when in their super persona.   A third thread for encounters can be set up.    The villains are given targets to rob or attack.   The heroes are on call to respond.   The DM can roll to see who responds out of those not already combating a villain plot.  Finally a fourth thread can be set up.  For role play interaction between all while in secret identity.    Of course those that don't have a real secret identity would always be in their super persona.  Which could be a real drawback if a villain for sure and still a hindrance for a hero. 

As far as sexual content well that is up to you.  What level of explicit content did you want to go.

thebobmaster

I like the idea of it, but I'd be more interested in it if the players were tasked to create their own power as well, trying to make it balanced, but still powerful, with each player having their own power.
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.

RP Ideas:New and Approved!

Katina Tarask

I could get in on an M&M game.  I've been meaning to learn the system for a while.

TheVillain

Not sure anybody in any real position to implement it really said anything about using a system- but I like it.

AthenaNude

Systems are sometimes less conducive to sexual matters and get bogged down in details and minutia.  I don't want to have to learn a lot of different game systems in order to just enjoy a creative and fun sexual roleplay.  I would not entirely rule out a system-based approach, but I'm much less inclined towards going that route, in general.  If it is freeform I'd say the person running the roleplay should have veto power on anything that goes too far into god-moding, and that goes for villains as well as heroes.  Under the right circumstances I want my heroine or villainess to get captured and used/abused!  LOL  The problem stems with getting the right circumstances.  How about if we gave a write up of what we want our heroine to be like and what types of villainesses we prefer (or alternately, provide write-ups of our villainess and what types of heroines we want her to be defeated by?).  A lot of this will depend on what percentage of Ons and Offs are going to be compatible between the players, which I'm starting to see is the really tricky bit required to getting a roleplay that everyone wants and is excited by.

Leonis

All right, I was considering coming up with something of a backstory for how the real world would treat superpeople, and design your characters with that in mind. When a character bio is posted, we'll need our peers to evaluate it to cut down on god mode powers. Here's a template to follow:

Supername goes here
Alignment:
Height: (Certain superpowers may affect this dramatically)
Weight: (Certain superpowers may affect this dramatically)
Appearance: (Eye color, hair color, skin color, facial features, build)
Suit/Equipment: (Describe their supersuit, and equipment if they have any)
Powers: (If they're normal people with extraordinary equipment, like Batman or Iron Man, describe what their stuff can do.)
Background:

Hopefully this RP won't be filled with Dark Age antiheroes with single-syllable supernames...

Tagan

I'm quite interested in this, but really only if there is a system basis for it.  I find superhero games have a strong tendancy to god-mode, and I don't enjoy that...

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Tagan on January 17, 2010, 03:10:57 PM
I'm quite interested in this, but really only if there is a system basis for it.  I find superhero games have a strong tendancy to god-mode, and I don't enjoy that...

I second that. :D

TheVillain

I find it depends on the players, but you have a point.

Mine is, I'm good either way- and am more then happy to shank god-moders. MWAHAHAHAHA!

Callie Del Noire

Not to mention I got a character (basically a mad science experiment in alien nanotech that escaped) who has several discrete forms..

Mutants and Masterminds (and Hero Lab) helped me define Wartoy that way. :D

Leonis

If you are going to use a system, please explain it in detail, as I don't know of any superhero roleplaying systems.

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Leonis on January 17, 2010, 03:30:58 PM
If you are going to use a system, please explain it in detail, as I don't know of any superhero roleplaying systems.

Mutants and Masterminds, a d20 derivative that uses Power points to create any of a variety of 'Power Levels' from PL 1 (Joe average) to PL 20+ (ie.. Galactus). I've seen PL 10 write ups of Superman, the Hulk and others on the Atomic Think Tank Forums (the company forums for the game)

It's available in hardback AND pdf.

TheVillain

Mutants and Masterminds, go look it up. It's a very fun system, based on a point buy system that is surprisingly versatile.

Leonis

I have an idea for a superhero that controls plasma (a state of matter that is neither solid, liquid, nor gas), but I'm not sure how that would work, exactly.

On the other hand, my supervillian has a simple but well-defined power: he creates a void of nothingness where nothing can exist, and everything that enters the void will cease to exist.

TheVillain

Void would be based on disintegrate, Plasma would be based on Fire Control and Blast. The system works because you look for the mechanics of what you want and work backwards.

I'm personally leaning a cyborg who can interface with computers- essentially a telepath that does his thing with machines instead of people. He mostly uses his powers to make art over the internet.

Of course, he's got a bit of a secret- that he got the implants because he used to be an anti-mutant bigot and is supposed to be using them to hunt down and murder mutants but figured out pretty quick that the most common strategy is to kill them when they are still too young to have much mastery over their powers. The artwork is too eat processor time, subverting his primary program paradigm.

Too grimdark?

Kane Gunlock

I'm interested is there room for one more?

Leonis

Quote from: Kane Gunlock on January 17, 2010, 04:01:50 PM
I'm interested is there room for one more?

Considering we don't have any character profiles yet...