News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Halo: A shot in the dark

Started by Gladiator0161, August 18, 2010, 08:17:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sushi

Quote from: Vengurd on August 01, 2012, 09:03:11 AM
Hi Hunter.

I'm not talking about the barrel, I mentioned the chamber because that is the nearest to where all the moving parts are, or at least from what I remember it should be. I'm talking about the springs, gears and other what not that make the boom, not the barrel that keeps the bullet on a straight line.

Firearms don't have gears :/

The "boom" comes from the firing pin striking the base of the cartridge. This detonates the primer, which sets off the powder. Even if you hit the primer harder, it's not going to go off with significantly higher velocity - as it's designed not to.

The bullet is mostly independent of the gun as far as kinetic energy goes. The gun amplify existing energy by increasing muzzle velocity, but it can't just conjure up extra energy from a collection of springs, sears and such. If mechanics alone made the power difference, then all of the UNSC guns would logically fire the same bullet, instead of just a few.
"—in any other circumstance, you might have had a point there. Except my boss is a woman, I was a chick in the 40's, I hate everyone equally, and there's no one alive who can comprehend my sexual preference."

Vengurd

'Gears' was meant in a general sense, not specifically.

Through all the jargon you pretty much are admitting that the inner workings of a gun does affect the bullet. I'm not saying the gun makes the bullet do what it does, I'm simply stating that while the general flight of the bullet remains the same, you will find a difference in firing a bullet from the MA-5 and from, say, a potato gun.

Sushi

Well, if a potato gun could fire a bullet.

Lemme rephrase what I've been saying. A gun will influence the power of the bullet to a small degree. Primarily, the tightness and length of the barrel determines how much the expanding gasses of the cartridge propel the bullet out the front of the gun. The speed of the bullet directly translates into its power. Nothing else influences the power, realistically. But it's not the guts of the springs, chamber, bolt, gas system or any of the "inner workings" of the gun, like you were saying. Those primarily just make the gun reload the next bullet.

For example, a .357 Magnum bullet from a revolver is going to be, say, 1400 feet per second. That's pretty crazy, well over the speed of sound. A revolver has about a 4 to 6 inch barrel.

A .357 Magnum lever-action rifle has about a 18 to 20 inch barrel on average. That's about three times the barrel length, right? They shoot about 2000 feet per second. That's a good half its power boosted, because of a longer gun.

Different bullets have different performance in that respect, but for the bottom line is this - even if our DMR was four times as long as the MA-5, it would only get a boost of half its current power. That's why I pointed out Reach making it about five times as powerful wasn't realistic especially given they're the same size, and my reason for saying the DMR had special ammo or something. The gun can do quite a bit to improve the bullet, but it's still limited by the energy that the bullet is capable of producing.

Again, it's a sacrifice of realism for the sake of gameplay.

"—in any other circumstance, you might have had a point there. Except my boss is a woman, I was a chick in the 40's, I hate everyone equally, and there's no one alive who can comprehend my sexual preference."

Hunter Phoenix

Just to give you a heads up Gladiator, I no longer have Halo Reach to play on xbox, I traded it in today so that I could get Transformers: War for Cybertron so that I can replay it before Fall of Cybertron comes out at the end of the month :)

Also, whos post is it?
Where Will A Creature Of Darkness Hide If Not In The Shadows Of The Night.

ashia starstreak

Patric...but he's still K.O. Sling has given no response since the camera set up. Then it'd be my turn.

"A knight in shining armor is a man who has never had his metal truly tested."

Gladiator0161

YAY! More gun info!

Hey guys, sorry I'm so behind. Things have been heckteck for me IRL. Anyway, I'll have a post up, god willing, for Sling and Gladiator tonight.

Ah, alright Hunter. How is that Tranformers game btw?

Hunter Phoenix

Mind blowing, like it was the first time I played it :P got me the demo for the new one as well which comes out at the end of the month, I don't think I have ever wanted to cry with happiness because of how good a game looks and feels, everything is just so right with it :D Cannot wait for this piece of genius to come out.

The Golden Touch

Will post for Adalaine tonight.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences

Sushi

Just a heads up, I'll be gone for the next three or so days. Bye everyone~

Sushi

Gladiator0161

@Hunter: Cool, that's how I feel about Halo 4. :)

I'm so happy that you'll be able to run without it having to be an armor ability.

@Sushi and GoldenTouch: Awesome! Hope you had fun on your three days Sushi, can't wait to read both your posts :D

@Everyone: I'm going to be taking some time off myself but, I'll be taking my laptop with me. I'll be going to Colorado to visit family, and I'll be gone for a flipping week!!! I can't believe it! A real live vacation! Hell yeah! So, as you can see, I'm excited but, as I said I'll be taking my laptop with me so, I'll still be able to post and reply. Hopefully, I'll have a bit more energy and get more of my imagination back after this vacation. I just hope everything works out with this "new" van my dad impulsively bought. B'cause last time it didn't, lol.

So, anyway, our first stop is Leadville, and the next is Denver! Wooot!! Nothing to do in either town, lmao, but, it'll be great to just get away for a little bit. Working 5 jobs is really taking a tole on me.

Hunter Phoenix

Gladiator0161

I'm currently in Grand Junction now, and I'm doing great! Visiting my family on my aunt's side. They're alot of fun. I'll be reading the new posts and possibly replying today, kinda depends on what we have planned for the day.

TyKing

Is it too late for me to jump back in?  ;D  Hi everyone, sorry I've been away for so long. How is everyone?

Hunter Phoenix

Haha would be cool to have you back :)

I'm alright thanks, it's been pretty quiet on here recently

Sushi

Gladiator0161

Of course you're welcome back TyKing :)

Glad to see the group is still around,  I'll be looking over posts and replying tomarrow. Gotta get some sleep first, lol.

TyKing

Thanks everyone! Good to see some of you are still kickin'. :)

Gladiator, would you remind me what are primary mission is?

Hunter Phoenix

I remember Gladiator saying that they would eventually come searching for Sling, Hunter and Shana.

TyKing

No offense but I think we need something bigger than that as our primary mission. Retrieving lost team mates could be secondary but we need something to focus our efforts on.  The lack of an achievable goal is what leads to most folks losing interest and could be one of the reasons we've slowed down.

Gladiator0161

I agree TyKing. I was going to wait to unveil our primary mission in thread but, maybe I should just tell you guys what I had in mind right now.

Ok, so, we already have that the Covenant are searching for something. I was going to have that it was another lost Forerunner Ship, not the Ark. This ship was going to have all kinds of information on the galaxy, what planets are habitable, what they offer, what planets have intelligent life on them, maybe even some left over weapon cache locations, ect. I figured this would be a good main mission because the Forerunners were one of the, or the, most powerful advanced civilization of their time, so I figured they'd have all of that. The wealth of information this ship was going to have could possibly change the outcome of the war with the Covenant, and mankind's survival. And seeing as how the Covenant worship the Forerunners and collect their artifacts, they'd naturally be driven to find and claim the ship. Thus we'd have a race with the Covenant to find and claim the ship before they do, the thing is, they already have a head start. I haven't mentioned this in thread yet but, right now, the Covenant are scanning every inch of the city to find the best spot for a hidden ship.

The battle for the Forerunner ship was gonna be big of course, so I wanted everyone in their top fighting condition and right now, we're all pretty banged up from just trying to survive in the city, which I love because it's realistic. Another thing to take into account though, beyond searching for team mates is finding food and medical supply sources as we explore the city.

It's not set in concrete but, that's what I had planned. I'm willing to discuss other ideas, and we should discuss them if anyone has a suggestion.

TyKing

That's a wicked cool idea, Gladiator. We could incorporate some of the tech we've seen on previews for Halo 4 when we get to the Forerunner ship.  Although as banged up as everyone is, I think we'll need some rest and recup time before we take part in a massive battle.

Why don't we set a waypoint where we can all meet up? A point that is central to our locations and possibly has medical facilities, chow, weapons and supplies. Maybe it is an old Spartan cache? Or a command bunker that was abandoned? Basically a place where we could meet up, heal up then plan our next move.

Hunter Phoenix

I like the idea of the Forerunner ship as well :) Sounds like something solid to fight for, in addition to us still needing to take down a couple of jammers, we will certainly have something to fight towards.

As for the recoup spot, at the moment Hunter, Shana and Sling are in an abandoned mall center, which I'm sure would have everything we need because it is we are currently in a make shift medibay so we could use that. There will be food and medical supplies there as well no doubt. Could maybe scout it out and find out if anything useful is in it?

Gladiator0161

Sounds like a plan to me but, I'd still like to get Sushi, Golden Touch, Ashia, and Vengurd's input on this plan of action before we officially proceed.

The Golden Touch

I'm fine with this. I will write up my post this weekend where Shadow goes to find Fry.

"Yesterday was the easy day."
Ideas (Open) /What Floats My Boat\ Absences