Doomsday Is Here What are you're plans?

Started by despickable, December 20, 2012, 07:55:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

despickable

Well Nothing happening so far. Had a few drinks I plan to sleep through the Apocalypse I can sleep through anything.

But honestly what are people planning a few helpful hints on the link
http://www.december212012.com/
I plan on Christmas shopping
I plan to put deck chairs out and watch the fireworks show
Laugh at the idiots queuing up for water and supplies.

What are your plans?

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page
[url=https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=133839.0]
[/url][/url]Despickable's Ons and Offs

Avis habilis

I brought a pie to work for the holiday potluck lunch, but since you put it that way - calories be damned, I'm eating the whole thing!

It's pecan. You can't not want to eat the whole thing.

Caitlin

I wish I could sleep in, but it being a Friday I have to work one more day. I'll be able to work at home at least, so that's something, and I have an appointment with the vet in the morning, to get my cat her annual innoculations. It'll probably be an epic battle between man and feline to get her in the traveling basket, but that's as close as to the end of days I'll get.

I'm planning to have a fun time day reallyl, and not stress too much. I can't believe that three years ago I actually believed all that 21 december crap, until I dove into it a little further and found out just how diverse and wild all the theories were. At least my sanity gave me a firm ass whooping and made me feel stupid for believing it in the first place. :P

(Then again, the girl who talked me into believing it looked very hot, so in my defense, I may not have been thinking with my big head at the time.) -grins-

Lilias

The universe had better not implode before the end of the Spawn's school Christmas party, or it'll never hear the end of it!
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Beguile's Mistress

I really haven't done anything special other than laugh at a few end-of-the-world jokes.  I have a house to clean and decorate for Christmas and cookies to bake. ;D

Sasquatch421

So how would it work with the dateline? Half the world ending before the other half? Me I'm staying home sick.... What a way to end the world huh?

Avis habilis

Quote from: Caitlin on December 20, 2012, 08:08:53 AM
(Then again, the girl who talked me into believing it looked very hot, so in my defense, I may not have been thinking with my big head at the time.) -grins-

"Take me now, while there's still time" would be a hard thing to say no to. *nod*

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on December 20, 2012, 08:11:12 AM
So how would it work with the dateline? Half the world ending before the other half?

Rolling apocalypse starting at the Greenwich observatory, one assumes.

Caitlin

Quote from: Avis habilis on December 20, 2012, 08:12:21 AM
"Take me now, while there's still time" would be a hard thing to say no to. *nod*
Indeed, hahaha! ;D

QuoteRolling apocalypse starting at the Greenwich observatory, one assumes.
Yup, because thousands of years ago these Maya folks just knew that on the other side of the globe somebody would standardise time for the entire world, and somehow such an event would care enough to pay attention when we puny humans want the apocalypse to start. ;)

despickable

According to some idiots I spoke to this evening we in Australia wont end till the 22/12 because of the time diff. Apparently The USA time zone is the one the whole world is based on.. Give me a break
New Zealand is three hours ahead of us in Oz  and we have three different time zones in the country. So I was thinking if we here in OZ all started sending tweets saying "it's Happening the world is ending pack yer bags" I wonder what reaction the rest of the time zones would do.

I plan to barricade myself in so I don't have to see or hear the idiots sprouting their end of the world theories. It's okay I have cake for nourishment

“We have multiplied our possessions but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We’ve learned how to make a living but not a life. We’ve added years to life, not life to years.” – George Carlin
Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Caitlin

Nothing beats cake and a good beverage... which happens to be warm chocolate milk in my case. The only thing missing now is some snow for flavour, but that's okay, since I have to travel home pretty late tonight. :)

gaggedLouise

Another transwoman suggested to me the other day (online, and at another site) that we should both look for common owners and get ourselves sold as slaves for life. I guess that has to count as high on the weirdness scale; I've only known this person for a week - though she lives close enough that we might well meet irl at short notice. Umm, no, I don't intend to make a christmas present of myself...  ;)

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Avis habilis

Quote from: gaggedLouise on December 20, 2012, 09:13:58 AM
Umm, no, I don't intend to make a christmas present of myself...  ;)

At least it would be a short-term committment.

Valerian

A bar / restaurant in my town has produced its own microbrew for the occasion, the End of the World beer, and they'll be having a wild party as well.

Though they may just mean that if you overindulge, the resulting hangover will make you wish the world was ending.   ::)
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Avis habilis on December 20, 2012, 09:17:47 AM
At least it would be a short-term committment.

Not if the end of the world means a takeover by intelligent beings from outer space and it would be to *them* that we were sold!

Valerian

:o

Inspiration for my movie blog!  A Top 5 End of the World Movies list!

...I'd better hurry.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Avis habilis

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Valerian on December 20, 2012, 09:23:24 AM
:o

Inspiration for my movie blog!  A Top 5 End of the World Movies list!

...I'd better hurry.

But...but I didn't get to see Lars von Trier's Melancholia - it got rave reviews, but as a summer movie it didn't feel like top priority. Now I might not ever get to see it before the planet really comes to an end!

(I would at least put the Battlestar Galactica pilot/tv movie from 2003 and Mars Attacks! on a top ten list of the best end-of-the-world films)

Caitlin

Quote from: gaggedLouise on December 20, 2012, 09:13:58 AM
Another transwoman suggested to me the other day (online, and at another site) that we should both look for common owners and get ourselves sold as slaves for life. I guess that has to count as high on the weirdness scale; I've only known this person for a week - though she lives close enough that we might well meet irl at short notice. Umm, no, I don't intend to make a christmas present of myself...  ;)
Awww, why not? *pouts*

;D

gaggedLouise

*pouts back at Caitlin*

You'd want it to be somebody on this site, so you could acquire both of us, right?

Caitlin

Who said anything about me being interested in purchasing that other girl as well? ;)

Rawr. :p

Silver

Quote from: gaggedLouise on December 20, 2012, 09:32:04 AM
But...but I didn't get to see Lars von Trier's Melancholia - it got rave reviews, but as a summer movie it didn't feel like top priority. Now I might not ever get to see it before the planet really comes to an end!

(I would at least put the Battlestar Galactica pilot/tv movie from 2003 and Mars Attacks! on a top ten list of the best end-of-the-world films)

Oh that was a great movie!!!!  Also yes on BSG.

OT: Curled up in bed... Honestly might bake my day away if I start feeling better...
O/O's  Request Thread  A/A's
Now Playing: Star - ♡ Machinedrum (A$AP Ferg Remix)
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

Caitlin

Just make sure you put a pretty wrapper around yourself Louise, else it wouldn't be a real gift. ;)

-snickers-

Lithos

Following some doomsday posters and forums now and also on youtube is probably the best testament to how stupid we all have potential to be. At least it passes as a comedy but it is sad that even well meaning sites like ask astrobiologist by NASA are full of same crap now. At least the idiots will likely to remain quiet after tomorrow.
There is no innocence, only layers upon layers of guilt
--
Wiki | O&O | A&A | Game Search

Caitlin

Quote from: Silver on December 20, 2012, 09:39:29 AM

OT: Curled up in bed... Honestly might bake my day away if I start feeling better...
Oi, I hope your illness clears up soon enough, it's no fun to be ill with Christmas and New Years Eve. I had the latter a couple of years ago and it really sucked.

All those loud fireworks going off while having a banging headache... yeah, not a big success.

Caitlin

Quote from: Lithos on December 20, 2012, 09:40:29 AM
Following some doomsday posters and forums now and also on youtube is probably the best testament to how stupid we all have potential to be. At least it passes as a comedy but it is sad that even well meaning sites like ask astrobiologist by NASA are full of same crap now. At least the idiots will likely to remain quiet after tomorrow.
I really really doubt that, they'll just find another crazy hype with the next 'end of the world' event that they can use for their prophecies.

Silver

Quote from: Caitlin on December 20, 2012, 09:41:14 AM
Oi, I hope your illness clears up soon enough, it's no fun to be ill with Christmas and New Years Eve. I had the latter a couple of years ago and it really sucked.

All those loud fireworks going off while having a banging headache... yeah, not a big success.

Quite correct... Have slept 11 hours on and off over the last 16 hours...

OT: maybe might watch the news as surely they will call this storm rolling through the beginning of the end....
People fear what they don't understand, But then they get mad because they don't dare to do it, Everybody a shinin' star, they ain't get far so they can't prove it, Most stars foolish, full of gas, useless, Pushin' bad influence, wonder what happened to 'em?, They say hurt people hurt people, guess that is proven, They put on a mask to mask feelings, Fill the universe with mass ceilings, Most people not even tappin' in...♡

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Caitlin on December 20, 2012, 09:38:54 AM
Who said anything about me being interested in purchasing that other girl as well? ;)

Rawr. :p

You men always think in terms of two-fers!!  ;D

*looks in somebody else's direction, knowing that she was heard talking of gags and coloured rope the other day*

Quote from: Silver on December 20, 2012, 09:39:29 AM

I'll be renting Melancholia soonies at the video store. The BSG pilot - bought on dvd a couple years ago and saw the tv series now and then.

Hope you'll get better soon, Silver - but do see a doctor anyway.

Sasquatch421

Quote from: Caitlin on December 20, 2012, 09:42:42 AM
I really really doubt that, they'll just find another crazy hype with the next 'end of the world' event that they can use for their prophecies.

When does the Hale-Bopp comet come back around?

vtboy

We should all try to look for the silver lining in this. If tomorrow is the end of days,  we avoid the fiscal cliff.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: vtboy on December 20, 2012, 09:52:02 AM
We should all try to look for the silver lining in this. If tomorrow is the end of days,  we avoid the fiscal cliff.

*high fives vtboy*

Sasquatch421

That would be true...And no more having to listen to election ads every what 2 years?

gaggedLouise

Caitlin

But but... it's my b-day on the 30th! I don't wanna celebrate my birthday with a bunch of corpses. :<

Knowing my luck I'd survive the end of the world with a broken bottle of champagne and some hysterical neighbour screaming at me that strangers are looting her house.

Sigh...

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on December 20, 2012, 09:55:07 AM
That would be true...And no more having to listen to election ads every what 2 years?

"They killed Congress! Hahahaha..." (little old lady in Mars Attacks! after B-movie style pic of the Capitol going up in smoke)

Oniya

If I end up interacting with anyone tomorrow, and especially if they seem to be remotely 'doomsday-ish', I'm going to solemnly say 'Lenny Bruce is not afraid' and walk off (before breaking into laughter around the corner.)  Might come up with a few other cryptic lines to use, just in case there's more than one.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Lithos

And for those who are feeling the first twitches of doomsday panic, have faith and read through this (and specially if your children are having doomsday panic, helps with talking about it)

http://www.2012hoax.org/

And here from Jim Morrison who certainly knows what he talks about, for a good recap if one is not for walls of text.

http://youtu.be/EW0Wo0uZ6fg
--

Starlequin

It's alright people, you may all relax. After a truly epic battle involving a toaster, a weather balloon, three paper clips and the sacrifice of two chicken nuggets and a box of Twinkies I've already averted the impending apocalypse. You're all welcome; gifts of cash or bonds are appreciated, and the line for the celebratory orgy forms to the left. Enjoy another round of continued existence on me, folks!

* Starlequin sits back and awaits the arrival of various and sundry tokens of gratitude from the huddled masses any second now...
You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.

Caitlin

Quote from: Starlequin on December 20, 2012, 11:30:55 AM
It's alright people, you may all relax. After a truly epic battle involving a toaster, a weather balloon, three paper clips and the sacrifice of two chicken nuggets and a box of Twinkies I've already averted the impending apocalypse. You're all welcome; gifts of cash or bonds are appreciated, and the line for the celebratory orgy forms to the left. Enjoy another round of continued existence on me, folks!

* Starlequin sits back and awaits the arrival of various and sundry tokens of gratitude from the huddled masses any second now...
I don't have cash or bonds to spare, but I can send you toilet paper... o.O

It might just save you in a particular tricky situation some day!

Tsenta

I'm waiting until Saturday, the day after the "end of the world" to act. I'mma dress in Mayan garb, stand on a street corner, and hold a big sign that says "TROLOLOLOLOLOL!"   I'll make sure to do it in front of a church no less.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

gaggedLouise

Hmm, I just read about a team of researchers who had concluded that there had been a slight miscalculation in the way we read the Mayan calendar. The world, they think, will come to an end on - Christmas eve! Or maybe Christmas night, then...

Remember where you heard it first.  :D

Revolverman

My parents make me promise that if it does end up happening, I'm to dope them up to high heaven on painkillers and pot, and... "Put them out of their misery"

A bit morbid in our household.

Moraline

The sound of static slowly crackles and pops over the airwaves...
The sound of static slowly crackles and pops over the airwaves a voice seems to come through the hissing....
The sound of static slowly crackles and pops over the airwaves a voice seems to come through the hissing....
"Moraline to Elliquiy, do you read me, Elliquiy? This is radio free Canada, coming at you from the East Coast..." The transmission is interrupted with the sound of further crackling and squealing.. a long hiss sounds just before the voice returns.

"Elliquiy, I come to you from deep underground in my bunker at the northern end of the Appalachian mountain chain. Across the border in what was once known as New Brunswick, Canada.  I have supplies, fresh water, dried and canned food goods as well as a stock pile of ammunition and guns. Bring your families and hurry. Dammit, when this world ends we won't go without a fight!"

Star Safyre

I'll be at work.  If the world ends while I'm at work, I'll be so pissed.
My heaven is to be with him always.
|/| O/O's / Plots / tumblr / A/A's |/|
And I am a writer, writer of fictions
I am the heart that you call home
And I've written pages upon pages
Trying to rid you from my bones

Caitlin

I'm tempted to have a movie marathon and watch all the Terminator movies. ;)

Oniya

Could get a bunch of friends together and play Shadowrun...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Moraline

Quote from: Oniya on December 20, 2012, 02:45:29 PM
Could get a bunch of friends together and play Shadowrun...

A friend of mine says that he lives under the assumption that he's really an orc and when the magic awakes and the world changes he'll turn into a big fat green orc - ala Shadowrun! (His favorite tabletop RPG.)

When it happens, I'll be in my bunker with my guns and supplies. I'm hoping I'll turn into some sort of sexy kick ass elf-like humanoid. Knowing my luck, I'll be an Orc too.

Lilias

Quote from: Caitlin on December 20, 2012, 01:02:43 PM
I don't have cash or bonds to spare, but I can send you toilet paper... o.O

Toilet. Paper. Bondage.

;D
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Mar 30) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Caitlin

Quote from: Lilias on December 20, 2012, 02:55:03 PM
Toilet. Paper. Bondage.

;D
LOL! That too yeah. ;)

(That article still cracks me up, hehe.)

Revolverman

oooh, I need to run my Post-Apocalyptic GURPS RP with my friends tonight and tomorrow.

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

Revolverman

Oniya

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

Avis habilis

He must have been pretty buff after all those years of carpentry, after all.

Devil's Advocate

My plans for tomorrow are simple: take the kids to school, go to the office, work on accounting and billing.  What an awful thing for an attorney to do!  Oh, and I have to write my paralegal a paycheck!  I don't understand why she won't work for free.  I'm a joy to work for!
O/o's

A/a's

The trouble with resisting temptation is that is may never come again!

Moraline

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Moraline on December 20, 2012, 02:34:30 PM
The sound of static slowly crackles and pops over the airwaves...
"Moraline to Elliquiy, do you read me, Elliquiy? This is radio free Canada, coming at you from the East Coast..." The transmission is interrupted with the sound of further crackling and squealing.. a long hiss sounds just before the voice returns.

"Elliquiy, I come to you from deep underground in my bunker at the northern end of the Appalachian mountain chain. Across the border in what was once known as New Brunswick, Canada.  I have supplies, fresh water, dried and canned food goods as well as a stock pile of ammunition and guns. Bring your families and hurry. Dammit, when this world ends we won't go without a fight!"

I love this.  O8)

Here's a fun game: how many (newsworthy) anticipated apocalypses or proclaimed raptures have you lived through? This page, weighted toward recent claims, is a good place to start. According to what's there, my count is 75 or 76 or thereabouts. (We've already lived through two apocalypses this year, believe it or not.) Lots of them are just people boringly counting biblical generations until the Rapture or trying to predict nuclear war or economic collapse or reading ridiculous shit into astronomical alignments, but for my money the most creative apocalyptic shit-disturbing technique was still the Y2K scare. Amazing how much they were able to get some people worked up about that.

The irony about tomorrow's entry in the apocalypse sweepstakes is that the Mayans didn't predict any such thing. I wonder what the next big hype will be?
Artichoke the gorilla halibut! Freedom! Remember Bubba the Love Sponge!

Cyrano Johnson's ONs & OFFs
Cyrano Johnson's Apologies & Absences

Devil's Advocate

O/o's

A/a's

Sasquatch421

Devil's Advocate

I wouldn't know where to start counting.  I mean, we're talking 43 years here!
O/o's

A/a's

Oniya

Presumably, any 'doomsday event' within your lifespan is fair game.

Pumpkin Seeds

I'll be at work.  Guessing the ER will be packed with the Apocalypse happening and all.

Outsider

gaggedLouise

Great pic, Moraline! - and I can't help thinking of the UK actor (forgot his name, but I think he was in Dr Who at some time) who singled out one of the worst lines he had ever had to speak. Confronting a squad of aliens and waving some kind of primitive ray pistol, he stood firm:

"Take me to your leader or I'll kill him with this gun!"

;D

Beguile's Mistress

Quote from: Sasquatch421 on December 20, 2012, 08:11:12 AM
So how would it work with the dateline? Half the world ending before the other half? Me I'm staying home sick.... What a way to end the world huh?

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/maya

NiceTexasGuy

I'm glad to see someone is talking about this.

My reason?  Well, so far every potential shtf scenario I've experienced has garnered a lot of conversation, but I've not heard anybody talk about this... and it's the ones you're not worried about that always bite you in the ass... so thanks to you guys, I now know there's not as much to worry about as there was before I noticed this thread.  Because yeah, I think there's really something to this.

Oh, and I didn't take time to read them all, but for those earlier posts that "rolling apocalypse" that started at GMT ... no, I think the timing would be based on what time zone the Mayans were in.
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
My Ons and Offs:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=97303.0
==============
I have taken The Oath of Don't Waste My Friggin' Time

Driskoll

Clearly the apocalypse won't occur until it's the 21st throughout all of America. It's the greatest nation and therefore deserves the honor of being destroyed by zombie mayans first :P

Outsider

Given my life really does suck at the moment I wouldn't mind apocalypse tomorrow. /egoist

Silver

Quote from: Driskoll on December 20, 2012, 08:14:29 PM
Clearly the apocalypse won't occur until it's the 21st throughout all of America. It's the greatest nation and therefore deserves the honor of being destroyed by zombie mayans first :P

*snickers*

Yes because America is all important...

despickable

Quote from: Driskoll on December 20, 2012, 08:14:29 PM

LOL

Those pesky American have to be first at everything. The gold medal for being sliced and diced by an alien invasion goes to the USA cue the anthem

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Oniya

Quote from: Moraline on December 20, 2012, 03:49:53 PM

If it snows, I'm so making snow-Daleks in the chained-off parking lot of the vacant church next door...

despickable

Ben Lee - end of the world

Some great end of the world ideas to have fun with

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

ManyMindsManyVoices

"It's interesting that the people who are complaining about how it's all 'American-centric' seem to be ignoring that there are a lot of other countries that share those time zones... For instance, as was pointed out earlier, the one(s) that the Mayans lived in..."
My O/Os * Everyone should read 1/0

This is the Oath of the Drake. You should take it.

despickable

From what I hear Jesus Christ was an American. If we are to believe all the religious guff that is sprouted.

Time zones we not invented by God but by humans. So its all academic anyway

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Lilias

Best line I've heard about this whole clusterfuck was in an article linked further up: 'If Mayans were any good at predicting the future, there would still be Mayans.' :D

The rest of us can just start drunk-singing 'It's The End Of The World As We Know It (And I'm Feeling Fine)' at the top of our voices at midnight, just to annoy the neighbours. :D
~Wendell Berry

Scribbles

No plans for me minus the usual, although I've tried to set aside a chunk of time just in case the end of the world decides to creep up on me without warning.
AA and OO
Current Games: Stretched Thin, Very Little Time

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Lilias on December 21, 2012, 02:13:51 AM
Best line I've heard about this whole clusterfuck was in an article linked further up: 'If Mayans were any good at predicting the future, there would still be Mayans.' :D

The really ironic thing about this, as he went on to note, is that there are probably more Mayans alive now that at any other single point in history... and they're taking full advantage of the 2012 hype to relieve clueless tourists of their money. Call it reparations...  8-)

Lithos

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on December 21, 2012, 02:57:28 AM
The really ironic thing about this, as he went on to note, is that there are probably more Mayans alive now that at any other single point in history... and they're taking full advantage of the 2012 hype to relieve clueless tourists of their money. Call it reparations...  8-)

Many of the mayans have also complained about misuse of their calendar. New cycle starting means no destruction, it is just the same thing as new cycle of year or any other period starting in our calendar. No big deal. The world is filled with people with enough mental issues to give fertile breeding ground to belief in supernatural, religiousness and many other plagues that are keeping us developing as well as we could. I am afraid that no matter how much we know about the world around us, there will still be people who will believe in crap like this. Lets just hope that not too many people die because of it. This story shold have never happened, and hopefully it remains unique. Hopefully it also makes people who spread the doomsday stuff feel ashamed for at least a moment.

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/Teenager-feared-world-end/story-16119760-detail/story.html
--

Oniya

I've used the 'time to buy a new calendar' argument on a number of people.  They look at me blankly.  I guess they can't fathom having to shell out for another 24 ton stone tablet.

Iniquitous

LOL @ Oniya!

I learned real quick not to bring up the whole end of the world thing around here. Too many bible thumpers who get right indignant about the subject and start preaching who no man will know the day nor the hour of the return.

However, a friend of mine in Australia sent me an email that read:
"So you know, the robots became self aware first and started a war against us. Then, the aliens invaded hell bent on world domination though all the nuclear fighting from the robots and aliens excalerated global warming so the oceans rose dramatically. And when we thought we were safe from that, scientists found that rogue planet Nibiru barreling towards us with a apophis asteroid hot on it's tail! We could have sworn it couldn't get any worse but to top it all off the large hardon collider created an unstable wormhole where creatures from the 9th dimension crossed into real space to harvest our organs for their perplexing but non the less real overlords. Overall, this EOTW gets a C -. It was good but not great."
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Avis habilis

Jag

Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Moraline

Great change has come to the earth... we are truly doomed...

Gangham Style hits 1 BILLION Views on Youtube!
  Oh the humanity!  *Jumps up and dances the Gangham*

PSY - GANGNAM STYLE (강남스타일) M/V

Oniya

Just remember, you can use that against the hordes of crazed survivalists.

Self Defense Gangnam Style

Lilias

Riding (imaginary horses) into the sunset is how it should all end.
~Wendell Berry

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Lilias on December 21, 2012, 08:54:54 AM
Riding (imaginary horses) into the sunset is how it should all end.

I prefer riding my Pegasus!
O/o's

A/a's

Jag

Ons/Offs // Request Thread (Updated 3/10/24) // Slow to Reply at the Moment

Cyrano Johnson

Quote from: Lithos on December 21, 2012, 05:43:57 AMThis story shold have never happened, and hopefully it remains unique. Hopefully it also makes people who spread the doomsday stuff feel ashamed for at least a moment.

http://www.thisisbath.co.uk/Teenager-feared-world-end/story-16119760-detail/story.html

Yeah, it's not quite as funny when one realizes that real lives are often blighted by this stuff when it surfaces. I actually wouldn't be too surprised if we hear about some group or other attempting mass suicide at some point today; people offing themselves or trying to convince others to off themselves are a common manifestation of this kind of eschatology-fix.

(Also notable in that girl's death: yet another point in favour of getting the fuck away from the Internet if you're feeling depressed...)

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Moraline on December 21, 2012, 07:43:10 AM
Great change has come to the earth... we are truly doomed...

Gangham Style hits 1 BILLION Views on Youtube!
  Oh the humanity!  *Jumps up and dances the Gangham*

PSY - GANGNAM STYLE (강남스타일) M/V

This is why humanity is doomed.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Oniya

Is it really any worse than the Macarena or The Funky Chicken?   ;D

gaggedLouise

"As you will all have noticed, the much vaunted End of the World failed to materialize - and look, we're all still here!"

-BBC News anchor Zeynab Badawi

:D

Lilias

~Wendell Berry

Devil's Advocate

O/o's

A/a's

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on December 21, 2012, 11:09:50 AM
Yeah, it's not quite as funny when one realizes that real lives are often blighted by this stuff when it surfaces. I actually wouldn't be too surprised if we hear about some group or other attempting mass suicide at some point today; people offing themselves or trying to convince others to off themselves are a common manifestation of this kind of eschatology-fix.

(Also notable in that girl's death: yet another point in favour of getting the fuck away from the Internet if you're feeling depressed...)

"Sometimes, like in the case of that girl, it's sad. I don't feel much worse than that, but it's a little sad, still. However, most of the time, I look at the people who would kill themselves over this and think, 'and the genepool got minutely better that day.'"

NiceTexasGuy

Quote from: Cyrano Johnson on December 21, 2012, 02:57:28 AM
... there are probably more Mayans alive now that at any other single point in history... and they're taking full advantage of the 2012 hype to relieve clueless tourists of their money. Call it reparations...  8-)

A good plan for the short term, but eventually that cow's gonna stop producin'.  Have they considered opening a casino in Oklahoma?
What a shame -- The money you spent on those tattoos could have gone toward a boob job.
===
==============

Trieste

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 21, 2012, 07:39:56 PM
"Sometimes, like in the case of that girl, it's sad. I don't feel much worse than that, but it's a little sad, still. However, most of the time, I look at the people who would kill themselves over this and think, 'and the genepool got minutely better that day.'"

I realize that you're trying to make a comment about intelligence, but what you have actually done is shown an intense ignorance about mental illness. Someone who is thinking straight is generally not going to kill themselves over something like this. The people who will actually die are people who need help anyway.

While you may have intended your comment to be tongue in cheek, it's not funny. It's insensitive, rude, and it makes me very sad for you.

ManyMindsManyVoices

Quote from: Trieste on December 21, 2012, 08:29:18 PM
I realize that you're trying to make a comment about intelligence, but what you have actually done is shown an intense ignorance about mental illness. Someone who is thinking straight is generally not going to kill themselves over something like this. The people who will actually die are people who need help anyway.

While you may have intended your comment to be tongue in cheek, it's not funny. It's insensitive, rude, and it makes me very sad for you.

"I didn't mean it to be funny. I won't argue about it, though. If someone wants a discussion, you can send it to my PM box."

Oniya

Quote from: Ryuka Tana on December 21, 2012, 08:46:49 PM
"I didn't mean it to be funny. I won't argue about it, though. If someone wants a discussion, you can send it to my PM box."

Considering the number of people who have been directly affected by suicide on this board, Trieste was giving you the benefit of the doubt by suggesting that you might have intended it in some way other than face value.  Just because you can't put yourself in their head (or apparently anyone else's) doesn't mean that they are somehow furthering eugenics by losing that particular battle.

despickable

Damn nothing happened Now I have to find rent for the landlord... Apparently it is about profits rather than prophets Oh well we can eagerly await the next predicted alien invasion

Despickable's A&A 
Despickable's Wiki Page

Moraline

Quote from: despickable on December 22, 2012, 05:05:38 AM
<snip> .... well we can eagerly await the next predicted alien invasion

Asteroid, Apophis (click for wiki), To Hit Earth In 2036! (about 23 1/2 years from now.)

We'll get a really good look at it on Friday, April 13th, 2029 - It will dip below our orbiting satellites but just pass by us. Apophis is the size of the Rosebowl (a football stadium.) They will be able to determine at this time (maybe) if it is moved off course enough that when it passes again in 2036 if it'll hit us.

If it hits on 2036, it will hit off the pacific coast of the US and cause a 3 mile deep by 3 mile wide hole in the ocean floor. This will cause a massive series of tsunamis that will move at enormous speeds to obliterate the West Coast of North America and many island nations in the pacific (it isn't predicted to cause the same devastation in Asia or Australia regions (because of the distance.)
The Young Turks (news report)
Neil DeGrasse Tyson - Death By Giant Meteor

For those that don't watch the vids - The chances of it striking are incredibly low, and we'll see it coming for several years before it hits. Plenty of time to evacuate areas that might be affected.

Lithos

Aye apophis is small pebble compared to for example what wiped out the dinosaurs but effects would definitely be global either way. We will know better what to expect after next pass. By current more refined data though it seems that it will be a miss from the keyhole.

Here is current collection of data on this rock:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/99942_Apophis
--

Devil's Advocate

Quote from: Moraline on December 22, 2012, 08:59:34 AM
Asteroid, Apophis (click for wiki), To Hit Earth In 2036! (about 23 1/2 years from now.)

We'll get a really good look at it on Friday, April 13th, 2029 - It will dip below our orbiting satellites but just pass by us. Apophis is the size of the Rosebowl (a football stadium.) They will be able to determine at this time (maybe) if it is moved off course enough that when it passes again in 2036 if it'll hit us.

If it hits on 2036, it will hit off the pacific coast of the US and cause a 3 mile deep by 3 mile wide hole in the ocean floor. This will cause a massive series of tsunamis that will move at enormous speeds to obliterate the West Coast of North America and many island nations in the pacific (it isn't predicted to cause the same devastation in Asia or Australia regions (because of the distance.)
The Young Turks (news report)
Neil DeGrasse Tyson - Death By Giant Meteor

For those that don't watch the vids - The chances of it striking are incredibly low, and we'll see it coming for several years before it hits. Plenty of time to evacuate areas that might be affected.

Evacuation would not be the issue.  Changes to the environment would be.  But by that time my kids will be grown and I'll probably not mind if I'm not around.  :)
O/o's

A/a's

NiceTexasGuy

I'm still not clear on this.  It looks like "We can't predict the path accurately enough to know if it's going to hit the Earth or not, but we can predict the path accurately enough to know it will hit off the coast of California."

Not that any of it matters ... my calender ends on 31 December of 2013.
===
==============

Lithos

We know very precisely what position of its rotation earth will be at the pass days, we know the pass time down to seconds from even basic newtonian physics, but there is always uncertainty on whether the orbit plane will be towards earth or not. the trajectories landing it on earth can have surprisingly small range so it indeed is possible to be uncertain of whether it will it yet rather certain where it would hit.

To define orbit we need to have very precise measurements from as many points in the asteroids orbit as possible, and after that need to calculate effects of other bodies it is affected by (earth, moon, sun, possibly other planets) so it all makes predictions yet a bit more complicated. The corridor we know it must travel if / when it hits the earth is rather small so the location where it will hit if it hits really is much easier to say than if it is going to hit at all.
--

Spero

I just kind of chilled at home with my friends. You know so if something did go down we would all be together >.>

RP Status: Seeking New Roleplays // Muse Status: Active and Around // Mood Status: Hopeful
CRAVING!: Dark Fantasy & Warhammer 40k Roleplay! Please PM if you want to RP~

Funguy81

NotoriusBEN

got a hangover that friday

Ill see you all back here for Apophis in 2029.

Brandon

I was going to go to a party but I got stuck behind four horsemen in traffic. God they were slow  :D
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Brandon on January 06, 2013, 02:53:20 AM
I was going to go to a party but I got stuck behind four horsemen in traffic. God they were slow  :D

I was driving across three states. I think, stop at Waffle House aside, it took five hours and change to cover the 420 miles. 

Oniya

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on January 06, 2013, 08:12:50 AM
I was driving across three states. I think, stop at Waffle House aside, it took five hours and change to cover the 420 miles.

If the Waffle House is open, it can't be an apocalypse.  Those places stay open through everything!

Callie Del Noire

Quote from: Oniya on January 06, 2013, 11:36:15 AM
If the Waffle House is open, it can't be an apocalypse.  Those places stay open through everything!

Yeah.. well they have to feed the yuppies after the bombs drop since Twinkies are gone.