Parliament Hill Attack in Canada

Started by AffablyEvil, October 22, 2014, 12:50:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AffablyEvil

Here's a thread regarding this particular incident. What's happening, discussion for who you think may be behind it, and what you think the consequences of it may be. I'm making this so we don't end up spamming the "What's in the news?" thread with constant updates about this situation, now those interested can just come here and see the development. The Canadian Politicians in or around the area of Ottowa have been moved to safety in various locations according to the CBC Livestream. One gunman is considered dead, and it's suspected that the gunmen are aiming for soldiers.

The Canadian Government has advised everyone to stay inside and seize regular activities until the crisis is dealt with, although children are still in school and have yet to be pulled out and evacuated.

Useful links:

CBC Livestream
Reddit Live Update
Donation to Distress Centre of Ottowa, if you may wish to do that.

13:51 PM: Rideau Center has reopened
13:52 PM: One shooting victim has been confirmed dead, and one male suspect has been confirmed dead.
13:55 PM: CNN is now also doing an update on the situation.
14:00 PM: The police situation is ongoing and nobody is yet in custody.
14:01 PM: Police retract earlier statement, no shooter was ever at the Rideau Center.ยจ
14:08 PM: Chateau Laurier lockdown lifted.
14:15 PM: Press Conference on CBC has begun.
14:18 PM: Ottawa police looking for witnesses: 613-236-1222 x5493 or 9-1-1 or NatDiv_Media_DivNat@rcmp-grc.gc.ca if you wish to contact them with information.

Feel free to tell me if you think there are more links I should put there.
Night gathers, and now my roleplaying begins. It shall not end until dawn. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die by my posts. I am the writer in the darkness. I am the author beyond the fourth wall. I am the creative fire that burns against the uncreative chill, the warm light that eases hearts, the pen that wakes the sleeping thoughts, the text that feeds the imaginations of men. I pledge my life and honor to the Roleplayer's Guild, for this night and all the nights to come.

And so my writing begins.

Thesunmaid

I work for a hydro company based in Ottawa and the city was basically on lock down from the shootings. I had a lot of people calling and complaining and most had not heard the news..seeing as they do not have power not surprising. But it sort of freaked me out. I am just hoping that someone will catch the second gunman which they still think might be out there. I live on the east coast but...still freaked me out..my uncle lives and works around that area.
Some mornings its just not worth chewing through the leather straps.
Current Status for posts: working on them Current Status for RP:Tentatively looking

kylie

The Guardian, Thursday 23 October 2014 12.05 EDT

Ottawa police said that they were satisfied there was one attacker, and police chief Charles Bordeleau told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation that there was no longer a threat to public safety.
Police initially speculated that the attack was the work of more than one gunman. But it became apparent during the day that Zehaf-Bibeau was the only protagonist.

"Protagonist" ?  Antagonist, maybe?  British English?  Hee.   :P

Oniya

Maybe... technically?  ???

noun
noun: protagonist; plural noun: protagonists

the leading character or one of the major characters in a drama, movie, novel, or other fictional text.
        the main figure or one of the most prominent figures in a real situation.

Poor wording choice, even if that's what they were going for...
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

gaggedLouise

Yes, it could be read as "main offender", but I'd have picked antagonist too.

OT: Scary incident and things like this always put question marks at the kind of accessibility and openness that many wish to see from democracy. The shooter got to within a few yards of the door of a meeting room where PM Stephen Harper was talking to a small group of people. I haven't seen anything about whether Mr. Harper had any armed bodyguards with him in that room but off the cuff it doesn't sound likely. Or we just can't know.

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Ephiral

As a matter of general policy, no. We don't really have anything analogous to the Secret Service; security for the PMO is, IIRC, provided by the Mounties with an eye to low profile.

kylie

Yes Oniya, I do understand the dictionary definition.  Thank you kindly. 

Horrible nuance for the situation though in American English, at least.

Oniya

I figured you did - I was just looking for any possible explanation for why it was used, and that was the only thread-thin reason I could find.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Kythia

Sorry, I'm confused.  What's the issue with "protagonist"?

Ephiral

Quote from: Kythia on October 24, 2014, 02:10:40 AM
Sorry, I'm confused.  What's the issue with "protagonist"?
In common use, the protagonist is the character you're meant to identify with.

Kythia

Ah, so you'd use it as "hero of the story" not "main character of the story".  Fair enough

Cassandra LeMay

Semantics aside, CBC has some more information on the gunman at this link

German media at least initially reported that he was a recent convert to Islam (no idea on what sources they based that claim), but it seems he has been a Muslim for at least ten years. The picture that emerges now, at least as far as I can see, is not that of a fanatic radical, but rather of a disturbed man struggling with problems and being somewhat off his rocker.
ONs, OFFs, and writing samples | Oath of the Drake

You can not value dreams according to the odds of their becoming true.
(Sonia Sotomayor)

Ephiral

The "recent convert" material appears to come from the police - at least, that's where I saw it attributed by CBC yesterday, though I can't find the article now. Media are doing everything they can to try to spin this and another recent incident into a campaign, but... yeah, given his history and everything we know thus far, particularly the details in this article, the picture I get is of someone who was slowly sliding out of control and knew it.

That's not stopping the security theatre, though - military personnel are currently under orders not to post pictures of themselves in uniform, to be wary of new social media contacts, and to travel in pairs, and government facilities as far away as here in Nova Scotia have been effectively closed to the public. That... scares me. I don't trust the Harper government at the best of times, and right now it has a hell of an excuse to do a lot of troubling stuff. On the upside (and this is something I'm hugely proud of), we're steadfastly refusing to be terrorized. Hopefully that'll limit the damage that can be done.