Vagabonds: New World of Darkness Game. (interest)

Started by Senti, December 03, 2010, 07:12:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Senti

There is a possible mage but another would be welcome...

And that sounds a very interesting concept and one that would be most needed.

The Great Triangle

I'd be quite interested in playing it then.  *nods*  What level of experience do you think would be ideal?  I could see the concept being playable as an idealistic young mage not quite willing to get with the program on the orders, though it might work better for the character to be a little older/more experienced.  (though the older and more powerful the character gets, the more constrained and conservative it needs to become in return)  Here are some of the ways I think the concept could get implemented:

-An old, crone style witch who spends much of her time on the streets begging for money and telling fortunes as a way to invisibly blend into the crowd.  (quite possibly, she has used magic to make her look particularly old and unremarkable, perhaps a custom rote)

-A middle aged biker type with more than a few piercings, the kind of guy who seems to come out of the woodwork when there's a concert, and vanish into dive bars at all other times. 

-A wheelchair bound, one-legged combat veteran who always seems to sit on the sidelines looking pathetic, but acts as a sort of "good luck charm" to the vagabonds.

-A young, flamboyant blond man in a garish purple star covered robe and pointy hat who won't stop yelling loudly to anyone in ear shot about how he's a wizard and will blow you up with his fireballs.  (which, if pressed, are actually ping pong balls coated in lighter fluid and set on fire)  His act is designed to distract others from strange things happening in the area, which must just be his pranks.

-A dark skinned young woman posing as an investigative journalist in the midst of writing a story (or filming a documentary, writing a poem, researching a video game... nobody can really remember) on the vagabonds, who never seems to finish her research, or be remembered clearly. 
Meow!  I'm a kitty; made of fire.

Ons and Offs

Keelan

I'm the other Mage potential TGT ^_^

I'm considering a Guardian of the Veil character, likely an Obrimos Prime/Space with Forces or an Acanthus Fate/Prime with Time.  The Obrimos is more of a counter-mage who can get to any reported problem quickly due to Space magic, while the Acanthus is more of a 'save the parties asses' sort via fate magic with some level of counter-mage potential.

Flavor wise, I was figuring she'd be an Irish woman (northern or southern Ireland, haven't decided yet), who is/was a college professor of (field to be determined), and I imagine her being rather sarcastic and cynical, but overall a rather disciplined and dedicated person to any and all of her duties.  Since there is a relationship potential in-game, it's worth noting she's a lesbian (last time I played a mage this was important to note against some type of promethean whose effect was determined by sexual attraction).  Other than that, it's a very rough idea, but I'm working on it a lot and should have plenty of time to finish it tomorrow.

Crovonovin

TGT, I absolutely adore your fourth option there, playing off your mage as nothing more than an infuriating and harmless trickster rather than a real threat.  I think one danger of playing any World of Darkness game is the tendency to have things spiral into morbidity without the sort of lighthearted breathing room that just about anyone needs in order to have any real fun.  If everything's depressing, scary, or tense, things tend to get muddled and run together without any interesting variation!

Not that I'm so bold as to assume my word carries any weight whatsoever with anyone, but if it's worth anything at all I would love to see how you bring that character to life.

The Great Triangle

To be honest, that idea is basically directly inspired by how the historical figure Aleister Crowley acted.  XD  The big obvious wizard hat and cloak is inspired by what Crowley discovered worked as a perfect "invisibility cloak" in the streets of London.   The robe would probably end up being some kind of magical artifact, or possibly the lynchpin in an oath with a changeling.

Ons and Offs

Crovonovin

So it's sort of an elaborate "Somebody Else's Problem Field" that forces the average citizen to completely overlook what's surely too bizarre to possibly be true?  Brilliant!

Hellion000

*eyes people that are talking about contracts with Changelings*

As the only currently confirmed CtL character, I'm a bit concerned!

Blitzy

*Eyes Hellion.*

'Confirmed' is such a harsh term. I prefer to say... I am intrigued with making a CtL char.
One on One stories on hold currently. Apologies to my writing partners.

RubySlippers

My character is just a busker juggling in the streets for money, she is not that good but is so good looking and skilled at playing the crowds that shouldn't matter.  ;D

The Great Triangle

I see pledges with changelings as a great way to pick up extra merit dots and establish story relationships, as well as giving changelings a good amount of brokering ability.  Having other PCs to make pledges with is extra helpful, since it often enables a changeling to get some benefits without having to set up annoying obligations. 

Ons and Offs

Hellion000

Quote from: The Great Triangle on December 05, 2010, 07:49:34 PM
I see pledges with changelings as a great way to pick up extra merit dots and establish story relationships, as well as giving changelings a good amount of brokering ability.  Having other PCs to make pledges with is extra helpful, since it often enables a changeling to get some benefits without having to set up annoying obligations.

Send me an FPM, we'll chat in private. I'm playing a Darkling/Beast of the Spring Court.

Senti

Private is it? As the ST I do hope I will be included :P

I am getting things together now, so lets give it a few more days for characters  to be made and organised and then I will set it up.

Now do I need to do a list of Senti's rules ?

Crovonovin

I suppose it couldn't hurt to know them, if there are any particulars that deviate from the standard Elliquiy codes of conduct.

Geeklet

Hmm, I've been wanting a good nWoD game for a little while now. Could possibly do Mage or Wolf....

RubySlippers

Quote from: The Great Triangle on December 05, 2010, 07:49:34 PM

What's a Pledge?

The Great Triangle

Quote from: RubySlippers on December 07, 2010, 05:59:58 AM
What's a Pledge?

If you make a promise to a changeling, it will be supernaturally enforced.  If that promise is sufficiently powerful, you also gain power to help fulfill that promise, or it might be the point in the first place.  A simple example is agreeing to leave a saucer of milk outside your house every night so a changeling will come and clean your house.  (though the changeling might gain more than the saucer of milk in the arrangement)  Pledges are a lot more potent for mortals than they are for supernatural creatures.  (being able to grant them 5 dot merits reasonably easily, among other things)   Just like vampires have ghouls, changelings have oathbound servants, who are humans who agreed to serve changelings in exchange for power. 

The main limiting factor of pledges is that a changeling can only maintain so many before it has to start using things like its true name, its passions, and its supernatural substance to start sanctifying them.  Therefore, for practical purposes, most changelings who aren't of elder power can only have two or three oathbound humans at most.  (oathbound are also sometimes called  the ensorcelled, since the minimum level of transformation is to give a human the ability to see the things of faerie, a process known as ensorcellment) 

Ons and Offs

Senti

Thanks Mister Triangle for answering the question.

Geeklet you are more than welcome. Either a mage or a wolf is fine, though a wolf might work better.

RubySlippers

By the way she is all for connections to the Supernaturals in some way being an innocent little mortal.  O:)

fallensaviour

ooh...i've always wanted to try a siten uzu from skinchangers

Senti

Yes you may have your beasty fallen saviour.

Hopefully tomorrow  UK time I will be setting up the game or at least the OOC part.  So if folks can organise characters and the like I will appreciate it. As for rules they will be posted there. Don’t worry I am not a hard Taskmaster.

fallensaviour

cool do i need to make/rp the kitsune or is that going to be purely npc?

Senti

Muse

So, I defiantly want to adapt one of my free runner concepts.  Would a changeling or a mage fit better at this point? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Senti

Hellion000

As I understand it we have:

1 Mortal
1 Vampire
1 Werewolf
1 Changeling (confirmed and 1 potential)
and
3 or 4 Mages.

So... yeah. Another Changeling would be a better choice than a Mage, and a Giest or Promethian would be even better. Though, to be honest, wrangling a Promethian into the group with the curse in effect would be difficult at best.