Survival Island Group RP - [oWoD] {Interest Thread} (NC-H)

Started by Eliza, April 03, 2011, 03:52:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eliza

Resurrecting this RP from another user, Maegan. For the original thread go here.

Survival Island!  The newest reality series from the makers of Prison Riot and Lost Hiker.  How will contestants fair on a remote island populated by the worst criminals that society has to offer?  Will they prevail to win the ten million dollar jackpot?  Or will they flee before the first rainfall!  Tune in to see!  Monthly subscriptions to Survival Island are only $199.99!

The Rules of Survival Island

Survival Island is divided in seasons of one month each, the contestant with the highest cash total at the end of the season will receive a cash bonus of no less than $1,000,000!

Each day, contestants will compete for a share of a $50,000 pot.  Will they work together?  Or backstab and infight to try and force others to leave? Contestants will face moral dilemmas and make difficult decisions. There will be chances where a contestant may break down due to a immoral act. It is doubtful that any contestant or criminal will leave the island without a scratch - injuries from the environment and other players will play a role in contestants' survival.

Rescuing another contestant from the foul grasp of the criminals will earn a contestant a bonus of between five and fifty thousand!  Will contestants risk it all for the chance to improve their standing?

Maps, detailed or otherwise, will not be provided to the players in the game. Each player has on themselves a tracking device, so that the game controller will know where each player is located in regards to other players. Participants will be given a random item before landing on the island. It is their choice either to discard the item or keep it. The island itself only has patches of civilization, but the makers of the show have evicted them from their settlements. Players may find useful tools to use towards their survival, but the use of a inappropriate tool will have its consequences. Each day, caches of equipment or food will be airdropped in a random part of the island.

Small metal chits have been hidden throughout the island, a few given to the various criminals roaming around.  Each chit can be exchanged for equipment on a ship located offshore!  Of course, signaling said ship can attract unwanted attention.  Any chit a person carries when they leave the island is additionally worth a bonus of $2500!

A contestant can leave the island at any time by saying the phrase "Beam Me Up!" or, if they are unable to talk, by lifting the pinky and middle finger on each hand at the same time.  However, once they have left, their cash standing is locked in and they cannot return to compete again. 

The Criminals

We have recruited criminals from prisons around the world and let them loose on Survival Island!  Although they will not kill or maim contestants, they have free rein to do whatever else they please. If by any chance a participant is accidentally killed by a criminal, either that criminal's sentence will be lengthened or he will be targeted by the covert agents hidden on the island to silence him.

The criminals are working off sentences ranging from twenty-five years to life, but are willing to risk it all for a chance to lessen their sentence.  While contestants can and will kill criminals, any that survives for ten seasons will be given a chance at an early parole!

The System

Below is the character creation sheet, inspired by and taken from the old World of Darkness Core Rulebook.  Questions, comments, and criticisms are more than welcome, since I'm sure there may be problems with it. Fill the categories out as best as you can and submit via PM. With the points you have allocated to attributes and skills, I will give to you your character's Size, Defense, Initiative, Speed, Health, and Willpower, as well as the random starting item given to your character.

Name:
Appearance:
Background:
Advantage: (Pick one of the following: Generosity, Faith, Endurance, Hope, Justice, Wisdom, Balance)
Disadvantage: (Pick one of the following: Envy, Gluttony, Greed, Lust, Pride, Laziness, Wrath)
Flaws: According to your character's background, please list his/her flaws here.

Attributes: Allocate points with the 5/4/3 rule, or 5 points among Primary Attributes, 4 points among Secondary Attributes, and 3 points among Tertiary Attributes. Choose from Physical, Mental, or Social to be your Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary Attribute groups, and choose according to your character's occupation, education or experiences.

Note: There will always be 1 point allocated to each Attribute. Also, you must spend 2 points to gain the fifth points in any attribute.

If you are having trouble, ask the GM (that's me).

Power
Finesse
Resistance
Physical
  Strength: (1) - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Dexterity: (1) - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Stamina: (1) - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
Mental
  Intelligence: (1) - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Wits: (1) - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Resolve: (1) - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
Social
  Presence: (1) - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Manipulation: (1) - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Composure: (1) - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 

Skills: Allocate points with 11/7/4, or 11 points among Primary Skills, 7 points among Secondary Skills, and 4 points among Tertiary Skills. Choose from Physical, Mental, or Social to be your Primary, Secondary, and Tertiary Attribute groups, and choose according to your character's occupation, education or experiences. You are allowed 3 Specialties at the start of Character Creation, 1 specialty for a skill.

Note: You must spend 2 points to gain the fifth points in any skill.

Physical
Mental
Social
(-1 unskilled)
(-3 unskilled)
(-1 unskilled)
  Athletics: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Academics: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Animal Ken: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Brawl: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Crafts: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Empathy: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Drive: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Investigation: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Expression: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Firearms: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Medicine: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Intimidation: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Larceny: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Science: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Persuasion: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Stealth: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Socialize: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Survival: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Streetwise: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Weaponry: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 
  Subterfuge: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 

Merits: Ask the GM for appropriate Merits for your character.

The Island

The island is located in a remote part of the Pacific Ocean, far from another major landmass or trade route. At least a hundred cameras are hidden on the island, given the viewers of every angle of every player in the game. A couple of miles off-shore, there will be boats with equipment, which the contestants can exchange them for chit they find on the island. Several miles off-shore, a platoon of vessels surround the island. Sharpshooters are on the lookout for any person either wanting to escape the game or enter it wihtout permission.

Recruiting

I'm looking for at least 4-5 contestants and unlimited criminals.

If you have any questions, comments, RP ideas or are simply interested in playing, please post in this thread. I will try to provide you with assumed information.

DuhMan

What kind of dangers are on the island besides the criminals.

Eliza

I'm guessing the local fauna are the next possible dangers on the island. The next would be weather, with the chance of surprising storm cells passing over the island.

Bloody Rose

Systems GM - The RP is a system-based game, with actions determined by a 100-sided roll. I need someone who is familiar with different types of systems as well as custom systems. Will you be willing to teach those who do not know how to use systems (me in fact) to properly use them and implement them for future RPs?

I played a couple of system games and I think I can help you with this. Also I am still thinking weather to make a contestant or a prisoner since I can do both quite easily.

AurelieCatena

Muse

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Sethala

Eliza

Quote from: Zarazel on April 04, 2011, 02:01:49 PM
I played a couple of system games and I think I can help you with this. Also I am still thinking weather to make a contestant or a prisoner since I can do both quite easily.

I'm trying to enlist help from HairyHeretic to help me out in using systems and trying to figure out a system for this game. Let's help each other.

Bloody Rose

I saw and was about to suggest the very same thing. World of Darkness is the system for you

Thufir Hawat

NWoD, like any other system, might be a good idea just as easily as it might turn out as unfit for the job you expect it to do.

What you all expect out of the game, however, needs to be defined better. A couple posts now clearing out your expectations might well spend you a couple dozen posts of unwanted drama later >:)!
Join The System Gamers List
Request thread 1 Request thread 2
Request thread 3
ONs and OFFs
"Love is a negative form of hatred." - Roger Zelazny, This Immortal

A&A thread!

AurelieCatena

I say, let's use the system originally proposed. If I remember correctly, the game stalled because of the System already. The proposed System seems simple enough and logical.

Let's use it sparsely and resolve most of the action through RP. We should all be grown-up enough. And if we miss a rule at some point, let's define at this moment, rather than to try and anticipate everything now.

Eliza

I'm looking at a free PDF of a old World of Darkness core rulebook, and I'm thinking of making this RP based on this system. Instead of 100-sided roll, I think I'll use pools of 10-sided dice. Dice are added based on initial skills and then added/subtracted based on bonuses/penalties. Modifiers will be used too ... by me, the StoryTeller.

subrob99

Eliza

I have edited the character creation sheet in the first post. To those interested, please submit a character sheet via PM. I will give you your characters Size, Initiative, Defense, Speed, Starting Health, and Willpower. I will also give out a random starting item given to your character upon arrival to the island.