BESM (third edition) game

Started by Zaer Darkwail, December 20, 2010, 06:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: avorae on January 13, 2011, 03:42:18 PM
Who149... this is actually a BESM third edition not BESM D20.

Aye, BESM third edition has three stats; Body, Mind and Soul. The values are bought with points (average adult values being 3).

Also yes my first overview idea is that game is based on present RL earth in close future but thing is that all big shit is happening all once (portals other dimensions opening, aliens coming, ancient sleeping entities like gods awakening in earth from slumber etc).

Basically combine several mangas/animes together and put them to same universe.

But as interest as this is 'anime' game after all then list your three favorite anime and bold the one which your char is based on (slightly more or less). If not seen animes that's okay too then list three favorite comics/movies etc.

Anycase so far suggested point value; 600-700 (which would be kinda mythical level campaign as I would recall, making you guys a super major players in universal matters).

avorae

Well Trying to list my top three anime will be a bit of a hassle seeing as I've seen quite a bit But if I can combine the Anime and comics together then I would have to say in no particular order: the Outlanders manga by Johji Manabe, Batgirl [the Cassandra Cain version], and the Soul Eater anime though I am currently watching Claymore and it's looking pretty awesome as well.

And yes the point value puts us in the Mythical range but it's something I never really got to do in a BESM game really.
Life is a hard game but the rewards are sweet if you know where to look.

Bloody Rose

I can join if you would have me, if not that is alright...

My top three would have to be

high school of the dead
Bleach
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5d's

Xiphon III

Don't care on the genre, just as long as I can play a gun bunny. Anyways, my three faves are Gurren Lagann, Air Gear, and the Jet Set Radio Manga. If that last one doesn't count, Death Note.

who149

Ahh- ill have to review the rules then- alright thanks
Been away, now i'm back. Updated based off changes in my life.

Ons and offs!

Thorn14

Several portals opening up? Sounds like the Endless Frontier!

Ever played that OP? Maybe we could use that if you had. I could even help you with making the world.

Also 700 seems kind of high.

Also my 3 favorite manga/anime?

1) GaoGaiGar 2)G Gundam 3) Nanoha StrikerS

Niki315

I could probably get in on this.  I have a physical copy of the BESM Third Edition book, and I've played in and run a sizable number of games. 

Setting-wise, multi-setting universes can be a lot of fun.  I once made a dual-layered world where a fantasy and sci-fi version of the same planet were linked via portals.  It was very entertaining ^_^  I'd be very interested in playing something like that.

As for point totals, I think going over 400 is probably a little too much power.  A mecha pilot can have a pretty decent mecha with 400 points and be reasonably skilled.  At 600 points or more, the threshold for failure becomes so slim you're just playing a game of "who succeeds by more."  Even 400 points can be pretty broken, but at least then the game has certain elements of challenge.

Also, anyone who needs help building characters or determining how to make an ability in BESM can ask me.  There's a lot of little tricks you can do to really tailor your character exactly how you'd like.

Xiphon III

One thing I want to know. Is "pocket dimension" still a skill you can take points in, in this version? Because I want to take the six-rank city szed pocket dimension, if I can. And 400 sounds about good to me, but I'll be making a gun bunny, not a mecha pilot, like I said before....

Starfall Smiting Prince

Yeah you can still buy pocket dimension. 400 seems to be a decent number but really depends what the gm means by being Mythical in scope, if it is like we are going to be fighting anime like gigantic monsters or  god like beings, 600 will of course be more appropriate.
I would be interested in the game.

3 favorite anime?

1) Saint Seiya
2) Black Lagoon
3) Gurren Lagann

Xiphon III

True, a mythic level game(which puts me in mind of the "end-game" portions of gurren laggan), 600 might be good.

Niki315

Pocket Dimension is 4 points per level, and starts at 10cm radius and follows a x10 progression (each level multiplies the area by 10).  The nature of the pocket dimension should be defined in some way, whether it be a dream world, separate universe, or just a bag with an overlarge interior.  It's a fairly open trait.  This trait should be taken with Dimension Walk [20 points per level] (travel through dimensions over time) or Dimensional Portal [8 points per level] (able to create a one-way portal to a separate dimension).

Thinking of Gurren Lagann's last four episodes, Simon is probably over 800 points, if he's paying for the ships and the crew and all that.  He could definitely be made with like 400 points if he just has dynamic powers or whatever, but to buy everything he has is an excessive amount of points.

Bloody Rose

Any idea on the setting so I can see what I will do? that is if you want me in the rp

Xiphon III

Well then, I know where my FIRST 36 points are going! One megameter radius pocket dimension, here I come!

Niki315

Actually, 36 points gets you a 10 mega-meter radius.  It starts at .1m and then goes up by x10.  So 32 points would get you 1,000,000m.

Xiphon III

Ah, right. EVEN BETTER! 36 points I'm COMPLETELY willing to part with. I hereby volunteer my pocket dimension(which I am keeping in my actual pocket) as the party resting place. Anybody attacks while we rest, all they find is my pants.

Niki315

Cool cool.  I think that technically to enter and exit the pocket dimension you'll need to spend another 16 points (total) on Dimensional Portal.  One level for Real World to Pocket World, and one level for Pocket World to Real World.  And technically if it's limited to a specific pair of pants, the total cost of the Pocket Dimension and Dimensional Portal would be divided in half because your pants could theoretically be stolen or lost or something.  Otherwise, you can tie it directly to your character's pocket, despite what articles of clothing he's wearing.

Zaer Darkwail

Quote from: Thorn14 on January 14, 2011, 11:54:11 PM
Several portals opening up? Sounds like the Endless Frontier!

Ever played that OP? Maybe we could use that if you had. I could even help you with making the world.

Also 700 seems kind of high.

Also my 3 favorite manga/anime?

1) GaoGaiGar 2)G Gundam 3) Nanoha StrikerS

I have not played nor know anything about Endless Frontier. But as one said already about sci-fi and fantasy world connected by portals I intent somethin akin to that. As I already said; game starts in normal modern setting. Let's say in year 2012 (which is present dooms day year). The world does not come end but radically changes.

It's basically blend of several themes and universes. There can be classic gothic power vampires who use alien technology or human witch from faerie dimension hacking computer by using faerie magic. Blend of sci-fi and fantasy but origin wise they were unrelated but end up to same dimension.

So start point to each char is idea what they are and what they are capable; they could be alien species who is coming to earth (or exotic magical creature from magical dimension) or regular human 'mutated' to another creature. Same way you can think was your human original normal everyday student who got then affected one or two factors which came with blending of the dimensions.

Example you choose basic background you were musical arts student from London, but as vampires became more public you went 'Buffy' and started devote your life between studies and killing vampires. But then aliens came from deep space through malfunctioning warp engine and crash landed to London countryside they then started become your allies against vampires so you got alien tech to help kill vampires which so far you had used some occultic arts to do so.

I do not say you need to mix some sci-fi into your char or mix magic to your char. You could be USA best test pilots who tries out USA developed mecha which was intended for third world war but instead end up figth against aliens from space with it. Aliens who uses high tech.

Anycase thanks Niki315 help with folks in making the chars :). As I myself I am quite new to the system also so help is appreciated :).

Anycase I agree that 400 points is suitable limit, with max 50 extra points from defects so max amount of starting points is between 400-450 range. I intent that you do not yet face deity level threats. Mostly big gangs of sci-fi thugs with some powerful minions of bigger powers (as group, not solo). It's a year or two since the blending of the worlds and stuff to modern earth.

Xiphon III

Anybody willing to help me with character creation? I have the list of skills, feats, and defects and such. I'm just not sure how it would work.

Starfall Smiting Prince

What do you mean? Don't forget Niki315 offered to help anybody with the character creation process but feel free to ask a question or two. As far as I can tell, we aren't using benchmarks but still recommended to at least spend between 150 to 240 points on character stats or you would feel quite a bit inadequate.

who149

Hm. Can't find any rules online. Would It be safe to assume that the feats, skills, defeats, and classes are the same for the d20 version (not the rules themselves of course)

I also need to know how to get my base stats-

Ons and offs!

Starfall Smiting Prince

Not really, it's a point buy system now meaning no classes but they do have templates racial/occupational etc if you want to just make a quick character.

who149

Hm- I suppose.

Either way I just need to know how to do the basics. I found a character sheet online that kinda tells what i'm supposed to put on it-

I just need to know some of the quick basics and then Ill probably be able to do the rest.

EDIT: I found something nevermind

Ons and offs!

who149

What I have so far (given 500-700 value)

Mind:8
soul: 9
Body: 4
(if < 500)
Mind 6
soul: 7
Body:2

Skills I want: (or am at least interested in)
Computers
Gaming
Medical
Occult
Police/ Biological science
Etiquette
Burglary
poisons
Urban tracking
Street Smarts
Seduction
Intimidation
writing
Disguise
Cultural / Domestic arts

Character concept: An intelligent and charismatic young University Student. He shares such traits with characters like Light Yagami (death note), Lelouch V Britannia (sp)(Code Geass), and Naoto (Persona 4 [not technically an anime but still]).  While Smart, and charasmatic, he hasn't worked out much, probably not a day in his life. And so is pretty physically weak

He's about 5'11" Weighs around 140lbs, and straight red hair. His bangs go down to a little under his eye brow, while the back of it, barely touches the collar of his shirt. His eyes are a vivid blue, with a small smile that usually makes others trust him.

He keeps his friends and enemies at the same length of each other, making impossible to know who he's going to target. He's never harmed someone physically before, he always aims for there mind and heart.

Ons and offs!

Kaisude

I'd be interested, but I don't know about BESM. Could you give me the basics of it, and some key info please.

Xiphon III

Who, link me to what you found!