News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

House of Ravens (was Want to run D&D)

Started by greenknight, November 08, 2013, 07:22:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulthakptah

So question about my little animal friend. Could I have had him long enough to already teach him tricks with the handle animal skill? Also what do I do for stats with him? just use the given ones from the monster manual, or would he have some sort of reduced animal point buy? Having him already know the tricks makes sense since the tricks are for a hunting animal, and my background for this ranger is a peasant hunter recruited so the posh nobles don't starve or wipe themselves with poison ivy in the woods.

Miroque

RangerĀ“s animal comppanion is pretty much superior to normal animal..

Lv4 gives ranger animal comppanion, but if you take Natural Bond, you get full options for the comppanion. Feat is basicly made for those rangers who actually want to use their comppanion :)

And as lv3-5 gives +2HD to animal comppanion, depending on what animal you have, you would maybe get +size increase to it... which is basicly best thing that can happen to them..

ulthakptah

As a ranger I wouldn't qualify for the feat til 4th level meaning it wouldn't be available until 6th.

Miroque

Except if you would not have taken feat at level3, but kept it open for later .)

ulthakptah

Quote from: Miroque on November 11, 2013, 03:22:41 PM
Except if you would not have taken feat at level3, but kept it open for later .)
Meh, It would be good at lower levels, but not really that good long term. At some point the animal would be to weak to survive in combat. I think I will stick to my original plan and use the animal like a utility. Mostly for its scent for tracking.

Anyway here is my sheets so far.

Theodore White
and his animal companion Brock

Tagan

I noticed that as well.  He'll be attacked by fresh fruit!

Seriously though, there are a few plant monsters... not many though.

Let's see. Assassin Vine, Shrieker Fungus, Violet Fungus, Phantom Fungus, Shambling Mound, Tendriculous, Treant...

Zaer Darkwail

Okay, my charsheet is finally done! Anyways I noticed a interesting PrC called Suel Arcanamach, however according this article it's kind a PrC only met in Scarlet Brotherhood and the few handful 'renegades' are heavily hunted down by said organization because they defile 'pure Suel' in practicing the sacred art. I did think enter Sanctified One none the less and then Suel Arcanamach (if the campaign ever stretches that far that is). None the less, PrC was reason why I picked Ancient Suloise as speak language learned skill (was wondering what to pick after I took Elven). Anyways here ya go!

Aren Gralnirson
Biography: Aren Gralnirson is from frozen lands of frost barbarians, he was raised by his family who were simple fishermen. However, during most harshest winters when Aren was just seven a white dragon assaulted family's hold and dragon killed everyone....expect Aren who had been snuck into small narrow gap in founding stones to elude both dragon's senses and it's frigid breath which froze his family members into frozen statues which dragon then devoured in his sight....only his father's advice to 'keep quiet at all cost' kept him quiet as he watched his family slaughtered.

After dragon left, Aren half-naked started run through the freezing tundras to try reach nearest Jarl's hold. He started suffer hypothermia, he collapsed and woke up and he noticed he had been saved by a dwarf! The dwarf was a hermit spirit of his kind and unusual one who prefers the freezing open tundras to the security of underground and prefers hunt game in the surface. He had found Aren in the frozen fields laying there half-buried in snow and it had taken good week or two before he woke up.

Aren spend good two years with the dwarf and over time he gained his trust and respect, learning dwarf's name was Durnik Stonearrow. In age of nine Aren had learned many things from Durnik and in that time he had decided he will slay the dragon responsible for slaying his family! Durnik respected that decision but over two years he had used up all his tolerance for company (he was hermit for reason after all), so he delivered Aren to nearest holding and through talking with his friend he got Aren a good mentor in Valdrin Froljnbulr, a cleric of Kord. Valdrin took Aren in and taught in ways of warrior, be swift to act and be sure and hard in his strikes. Teach into ways of Kord and take reverence from him. However Aren despite his strong strength showed a uncanny mind for tactics, so Valdrin shifted some point focus from warrior into tactics; as besides strong body you need clever mind if Aren ever wishes to slay dragon....and unlikely he does so alone. So Aren became a marshal; a captain, leader by age of 17.

Then he took group of hunters (including calling in his old friend Durnik) to hunt the white dragon which has plagued already years in the local frozen wastes and forcing farmers and fishermen abandon their homes. Aren and his party found dragon's lair and there they lured dragon from lair into a trap laid out by hunters, overall half of the group perished but they survived and so did Durnik who had done killing blow. Aren became a much celebrated dragon-slayer (and so did his crew) and they enjoyed all luxuries of such reputation. Durnik as the one who slew the dragon was the one who chose what to take from carcass and he choose skin it and take dragon's hide as his trophy (significance of this comes only later on).

Then in age of 18 it was 6098 SD and then appeared a mighty warrior called Vatun the Risen God. As King Ralff called on his forces, Aren was with him and he was part of the horde, leading fellow country men in battles in two year campaign of conquest and battle! Until King Ralff called to stop the bloodlust madness when Vatun commanded Ratik to be next target, Ralff exposed Vatun to be Iuz himself but it cost King's life and so his seventeen old son, Hundgred, heritages the crown. Because of his deeds before and during the war, Aren was chosen to be part of king's personal soldiers in his holding. Four years later twenty four years old Aren (and few other closest) soldiers are led in to secret that Hundgred had smuggled mages into his palace and they are teaching his trusted advisors children magic?! Aren was given offer to study magic, but like most his kin he has natural distrust to the art. However he did not decline to study magic to simply know what it is (but not use the art). Not to mention arcane knowledge is useful when you want know weaknesses of some monsters in region.

However, because of his partly open mind to study magic and showing remarkable learning speed for civilized manners, he drew attention of young king's wife, who was eight years senior to the king but was only five years senior to Aren (a much more acceptable age gap). Aren and the queen had a affair and it was (eventually) found out! Hundgred being furious about it is slight understatement and he was ready challenge Aren on the spot in a honor duel in name of Kord! However, his wife succeed talk him (and Aren) out from it and instead just banish Aren; as duel would exposed the affair to public and Aren was too well respected by fellow soldiers to suffer ordinary execution. So Aren accepted his punishment and left from lands of Frost Barbarians for good. He met then in border Durdrin, who had come say his own farewells to him but he also gave him two parting gifts; A fine admantine bastard sword (which Aren later named as 'Slayer') and enchanted breastplate made from the very hide of the dragon which Aren slew! A very valuable gifts and mementos from his homeland. Since then he has traveled widely as a mercenary for hire, protect villages, slaying monsters and so forth. He had formed a small band of fellow mercs who followed his lead.

Along his journeys he met Victoriana, as a damsel in distress in hands of orcs who had raided her wagon and she was desperately defending both her virtue and life from shattered wagon which was on fire and orcs waited her run out of magic and come out to be butchered or captured. Aren swiftly dealt with the orcs with his small band of warriors and rescued her, out of gratitude Victoriana offered more lasting position as her sergeant-in-arms (and also spot in her bed). Aren had been since then been Victoriana's fighter champion.

greenknight

Okay, I have character sheets. I plan to make the first post in a few hours. There will be an IC, OOC, and blue book thread. The last is for any scenes you want to play out outside of the normal game continuity; character backstories, private liaisons, flashbacks, etc.

The first post will involve scene setting exposition and an expected messenger reporting for Lady Victoria in the late afternoon. If you want to play out earlier in the day and lead into this starting point of the adventure, that's the kind of thing the blue book was made for.

Links

IC/main story: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=189852.0

OOC: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=189853.0

Blue Book: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=189854.0
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

O/O: https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=46150

AndyZ

So, would it be Aria Steel, or Aria Nyrond, or Aria Nyrond Steel?
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

greenknight

Any of them. Using Nyrond indicates a male line to the royal house is unbroken. It may also be dangerous away from Nyrondal forces. Steel may be a travelling name for such circumstances.
When you bang your head against the wall, you don't get the answer, you get a headache.

Zaer Darkwail

Hmmm, I just realized something. Overall marshal is a 'wussy' when it fights alone and considering role of 'armed champion' my char may not fit the bill.

However, if I take two levels as barbarian (fits for person who was born, raised and trained in Kingdom of (the) Fruztii), then my char has lot more offensive power to bear and so be more useful even alone.

However, to avoid major overhaul in placing skill ranks, would GM allow me use Able Learner feat? It would replace my Improved Iniative feat (plus it fits char's personality as he had been very adept at learning variety of things as he grew up so he is far more adept in wide variety of skills than regular barbarian).

As question related to barbarian; Would GM allow Whirling Frenzy alternative class feature for my barbarian? It's something I can live without but it again fits background as he was taught to 'fight quickly and react quickly' instead of just soaking blows thrown at him. Another variant what I would seek approval also is Spirit Lion Totem Barbarian. Overall the most OP ability (Pounce) I would not get likely during the campaign unless it passes over to 10th level.

greenknight

Barbarian, yes. Let me look at the variants. Whirling frenzy, yes. Lion totem, no. More appropriate to the Fruztii, I think, is bear and wolf, maybe eagle. And of course the default. Basically, Run doesn't fit for a mountain tribe. (But normal fast movement generally means you run faster? Go figure.)

Zaer Darkwail

Ok, I will wait. Is ABle Learner feat okay though? I just pick it to minimize 'fuss' in editing my sheet. Mostly my saves need editing then, add class features and HP (I assumed we take half+1 in HP after first level?). BAB remains same but thanks this change I can enter Sanctified One PrC at 7th level instead 8th.

greenknight

Yes, Able Learner is fine. See my previous post.

AndyZ

Holy crap, completely forgot Able Learner.  Ah well.
It's all good, and it's all in fun.  Now get in the pit and try to love someone.

Ons/Offs   -  My schedule and A/As   -    My Avatars

If I've owed you a post for at least a week, poke me.

Zaer Darkwail

Aha, ok. In that case I use Wolf spiritual totem then (the one from complete champion pg46). It gives me at this point +2 extra bonus when I flank (so my flank bonus is +4 than +2). Later on in 20th level progression plan I can get free track feat and +2 sacred bonus to survival checks (instead DR) and able see into spirit world.

greenknight

Give me a link to that one. I was looking at the version in Unearthed Arcana.

Zaer Darkwail

Edited my sheet now. Here is the PDF to Complete Champion; http://217.159.171.200/~sibuna/dnd/3.5_Complete_Champion.pdf

Pg46, but overall the spirit totems have similarity with ones in UA.

Zaer Darkwail

Also if discussing what mountain barbarians can take as totem, the lion totem can be easily renamed as Cougar totem.

greenknight

That one's got an important difference in that you don't have to change out the entire set. But that wolf's okay.

This first level lion's also okay as a mountain cat (UA is the Run feat; very plains oriented). I'll have to come up with a higher level one; these cats have a different kind of roar. But I've got at least 5 more levels to figure that out, right ;)

Zaer Darkwail

Yeah, pumas do not have miles wide radius in their roars but it can be frigthening :P. Perhaps later ability related to their sneaky nature? Or climbing ability?

Anyways, I stick with wolf for now and next two levels is marshal and then enter sanctified one and after that comes more barbarian levels.

ulthakptah

Quote from: Tagan on November 12, 2013, 12:31:52 AM
I noticed that as well.  He'll be attacked by fresh fruit!

Seriously though, there are a few plant monsters... not many though.

Let's see. Assassin Vine, Shrieker Fungus, Violet Fungus, Phantom Fungus, Shambling Mound, Tendriculous, Treant...
I do have a crossbow to shoot anyone who tries to stab me with a banana.

I might not stick with plants, but you never know. Plants are evil; that is why we harvest their sexual organs and present them to loved ones.

Miroque

Best favorite enemy is allways humanoid (human) as they are the most numerous, and far more dangerous that rest on the list...

and you get half of the bonus vs any other form of Humanoid (anything)

ulthakptah

Don't you have to be evil to select your own race as your favored enemy?