Interest check: 20th Century Pulp Pathfinder. Visionaries Wanted.

Started by Ixy, December 30, 2017, 09:48:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ixy

I'm considering a game that uses the Pathfinder system with a few tweaks for the modern era to run a game set in an alternate version of the 20th century.

This is still growing and fluctuating.  It will be small group, with no more than 4 active players, but I would gladly consider a co-GM.   

In some ways this story could borrow from Philip K. Dick and Shadowrun. It's not intended to be either one.  It also could lean toward some recent Pop culture pieces and series as Death Valley, Hellboy, Bright, Neverwhere, Penny Dreadful, Supernatural... Etc.  It should definitely not... Let me emphasize that-- NOT be fanfic for any of those.

What I'm hoping for is a vivid setting and interesting characters with a familiar, pulp setting made unfamiliar through fantasy elements.

The game will focus on a microcosm in a new world, but to give you an idea....

It's about a million miles from the hell that the War brought.  But it's over now... And it really was the one to end all wars. 

Things happened in the fields of France.  Some believe that God, broken heated over so much death, wept and clapped his hands to his face, and thus broke the world.  A strangely specific and unprovable rumor is that an old druidic, sanctified spot was corrupted, or else revived, with blood when so many men died by machine gun fire that their remains made an island in a sanguine lake.  Others with a rudimentary understanding of the otherworldly power of magic think that a sleeping beast of vast, insane power awoke from all the shelling and bombs, then spit magic and ripped the veil between worlds and dimensions. Some say, simply, that it was an experimental weapon of man's design.

Whatever the cause, it was 1916 when the rifts opened.  The things on the other side were like us, but had developed in a world so unlike our own.... Shaped by things more like myth and fancy than by science.  There were Nations beyond the rifts that emerged like great storms in the world, populated by beings strange and wonderful, error technology was not of gunpowder and oil and steam, but of energies contained in themselves and in materials they possessed.  They shaped their world with iron and steel and done like our own hundreds, even thousands of years ago, but followed feudal governments, worshipped pantheons of pagan gods and goddesses as varied as all of human mythology combined.  Their armies used technology surpassed in the Renaissance in Europe and earlier elsewhere but they stood a match for units of heavy armor and high powered rifles--?! All sanity, all rationale, all tank and history was broken like waves on the rocks off this new force they knew, they believed, they wielded like an art.

The world of man came to know magic.

The war between the Axis Powers and the Allied Nations shifted in a day in the winter of 1916, with both sides scrambling to contain or to harness the power of these Invaders... Or aliens... Or ambassadors. 

Creatures called dwarves quickly recognized that there was no profit in staking a claim of land, so they were content to, at first, carve their niche in the Canadian and Russian wilds and make hearty contributions to the we nations of their own materials and metallurgical knowledge in exchange for land grants and engineering know-how, as well as the equipment and materials to put it to use. 

Orcs, savagely thirsting for fresh conquest, took hold in the Australian wilds and the mountains of Eastern Europe.  The organized armies of both eating human sides meet them with trenches and rifles across the globe, finding both sites and opportunistic enemies in the process. 

Elves were quietly tactful, seeking the places of sanctity in the world they had found and working carefully, diplomatically, to build ties to the governments of the strange new Nations they found as a few brave adventurers began to seek out legal visas to explore the mysteries of new continents.  They clung to their secrets, for they would have ages to watch and wait.

Halflings began to emerge at ports of call around the world, seeking new cuisine and crafts with an eagerness unique to their adventurous spirit.  Though generally welcome in the emerging world, they were often targeted for schemes and scams by buskers and thieves, but more often than not landed on their feet, and not do they love baseball....

Among the organized peoples were nations... Independence lovers, slavers, studies scholars, devil worshippers... But in this great influx, one thing was clear... The world was on its head. 

These were the final days, some swore.

Now the war is over.  It ended with a whimper.  It is 1924 and a mad fervor of the old human faiths clambors back from the brink of extinction with pro-human sentiment leading the way.  Goblins peck at the doors of great cities in organized gangs, drow have taken control of much oil production in Persia, and the gold standard and silver standard share scales with mithril and shadowstone.  Humans once thought to be crackpots demonstrate real magic in the streets and stages of the great keeps of New York and London and Shanghai and Istanbul and Berlin and Rome.

There is no such thing as a gun permit in this America, but magicians are closely regulated and, if seemed too powerful, relegated to academies for government training.  Brainwashing, more like. And there is the ever-present threat that unfinished business will rise up, and the end of the Great War will catch the wind and once more set the Western World ablaze... Perhaps all of Earth.  Perhaps both worlds.

Classes and skills from Pathfinder would be adapted in a simplified way to a modern setting; weapons and feats similarly.  The setting would make advanced weapons more scarce, but general carry more prevalent. 

For characters...No one is claiming anything yet... I'm looking for committed players who will add to a party, work together well, and will post actively.

Thank you for reading.  Ideas are now welcomed.

National Acrobat

I'm at least intrigued, if not interested.

Is this to have the flavor of d20's Urban Arcana, or more like the old Masque of the Red Death Ravenloft Setting (which I love, my favorite of all the 2e Settings)?

What sort of plots/campaign arcs would there be?

Being a lover of Indiana Jones and Penny Dreadful type pulp, it sounds promising.

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Chulanowa

Two things;

One: that's Allied and Central powers.  ;D The Axis came rather later.
Two: Believe it or not? The "current" Pathfinder world of Golarion is contemporaneous with 1917 Earth; one of the adventures has you come to Earth, where you fight Rasputin in Russia during the Revolution.
Bonus: The Pathfinder "Worldscape" comic series (2016 and 2017) is a multi-world pulp crossover, with Pathfinder characters, John Carter of Mars, Tarzan, Red Sonja, etc. all scrumming together. Complete with game resources (Like the Warlord of Mars Fighter archetype!)

I'm... rather intrigued. Would kind of want to see what in particular you have in mind though. I think I'd be down for some "weird Science meets indiana Jones" style stuff, where we have to delve deep into a ruined Cambodian temple to stop Dr. Richthertoffer's Doomsday Device or the like.

National Acrobat

Quote from: Chulanowa on December 31, 2017, 06:01:30 PM
Two: Believe it or not? The "current" Pathfinder world of Golarion is contemporaneous with 1917 Earth; one of the adventures has you come to Earth, where you fight Rasputin in Russia during the Revolution.

My RL group played that one, we brought all kinds of interesting things back to Golarion. We really tried to bring a tank back, but were ultimately unsuccessful. We couldn't get it into the hut. I think the GM just didn't want us rolling into Avistan with a tank though...

HopeFox

This sounds fantastic! I'm definitely interested.

Are you expecting PCs to be from Earth, Golarion or a mixture of the two? Are Earth humans able to do all of the things that Golarion humans can do, including magic? Does that extend to humans being divine spellcasters in Earth religions?
If you're such an iconoclast, where were you when we trashed Constantinople?

Ons/Offs: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=358012.0

Ixy

Quote from: National Acrobat on December 31, 2017, 05:06:42 PM
I'm at least intrigued, if not interested.

Is this to have the flavor of d20's Urban Arcana, or more like the old Masque of the Red Death Ravenloft Setting (which I love, my favorite of all the 2e Settings)?

What sort of plots/campaign arcs would there be?

Being a lover of Indiana Jones and Penny Dreadful type pulp, it sounds promising.

Thank you for the interest-- as for Urban Arcana vs. Masque?  I'm not sure because I'm not really familiar with either, really.  I do envision some elements similar to what I remember as Ravenloft flavor, or maybe even Call of Cthulhu, except without telling in those existing systems and definitely without a sanity meter.  I hope players would choose and not abuse when to go a little mad.  As for story arc, I'd like to start in an unlikely place... A smaller resort town of the roaring 20s full of alchemy, imported antiquity, visiting starlets and socialites and old mystery.  The party would involve a law enforcement connection and an organized crime connection utilizing new world, alternately works maids and Kris to unravel the secret of some strange artifacts and stories involving the recent dead, the ancient dead, and those that will know no death.

Two things;

One: that's Allied and Central powers.  ;D The Axis came rather later.

Oops... Duly noted... I'll actually have to do googly things next time, sorry :)

Two: Believe it or not?

Omg this word choice is a hilarious coincidence... I'll explain later

The "current" Pathfinder world of Golarion is contemporaneous with 1917 Earth; one of the adventures has you come to Earth, where you fight Rasputin in Russia during the Revolution.
Bonus: The Pathfinder "Worldscape" comic series (2016 and 2017) is a multi-world pulp crossover, with Pathfinder characters, John Carter of Mars, Tarzan, Red Sonja, etc. all scrumming together. Complete with game resources (Like the Warlord of Mars Fighter archetype!)

I'm... rather intrigued. Would kind of want to see what in particular you have in mind though. I think I'd be down for some "weird Science meets indiana Jones" style stuff, where we have to delve deep into a ruined Cambodian temple to stop Dr. Richthertoffer's Doomsday Device or the like.

That is all new to me, so thank you for all the suggested reading material on that.  I can see an Alain Quartermain or Indiana Jones or Filme Noir hero in this on a split second.  Less a Flash Gordon or Red Sonja or a Conan... The focus is on a dark post war Earth with 20s music, feel, and myth interlaced with raw magic and fantasy from the corners, making it strange and surprising when anything magic happens.  I'd like no more than 4 or 5 PC's, and only one to have been born in Golarion.  Maybe 2 at most.  Also, I don't plan on bringing in actual major historical figures except in the background... The news, rumor, etc. However, minor historical figures may be related and tied.

Quote from: PhantomPistoleer on December 31, 2017, 05:16:18 PM
Me!  Memememe.

Aww thanks man :D You will of course be strongly considered *wink*

Quote from: National Acrobat on December 31, 2017, 06:31:26 PM
My RL group played that one, we brought all kinds of interesting things back to Golarion. We really tried to bring a tank back, but were ultimately unsuccessful. We couldn't get it into the hut. I think the GM just didn't want us rolling into Avistan with a tank though...

Interesting... But no tanks lol.  Think street level.   Peaky Blinders, Untouchables, Boardwalk Empire...

Quote from: HopeFox on December 31, 2017, 07:12:16 PM
This sounds fantastic! I'm definitely interested.

Are you expecting PCs to be from Earth, Golarion or a mixture of the two? Are Earth humans able to do all of the things that Golarion humans can do, including magic? Does that extend to humans being divine spellcasters in Earth religions?

Thank you!  I'm eager to hear what kind of ideas people have.  Some humans may manifest magic, but the game takes place on Earth and focus should be there.  Limited Golarion characters and background for sure, but there is room for some.

(*)

Some things to think about would be using skills.  I think an American detective could be a hard with performance: oratory, for instance.  Also, equipment is changed a bit but still should work like what we have rules for.  An armor trenchcoat would be light armor like leather, reinforced and improved with mythril weave could be like studded.  Chain shirt maybe.  Full plate will draw did scrutiny from law enforcement but might not be illegal, even if goblin gangs see you as a mark.  Pistols like the Colt service revolver hit like a heavy crossbow and are simple weapons because this is a story and we don't have to worry about rate of fire, just weight and cost.  We also don't have to fret over fancy ballistics or shock because it's fantasy. Thompson guns are martial and scare like crazy so we can can improvise a great for using one well, like comparable Archer feats.  Does that work... Take what we have and see if we can make it work?

PhantomPistoleer

I wanted to play a female detective.  I have to flesh her out, but I developed the concept for the character a long time ago for another game.  See below, which is a copy and paste of the concept.

Seeking Snobby, Slutty, and Smart Pathfinder

The Lady was reading the evening edition of the Absalom Absolute by candlelight when she heard Ms. Smalls open the door below for some unknown visitor.  Who could be calling at this time?  She never accepted new clients at this hour, and she had not set any appointments for any of her current clients for the evening.  She listened intently for a few seconds, but could not make out the late visitor by the pleasantries he--she was certain it was a he--had exchanged with Ms. Smalls.  She did hear as the visitor ascended the steps, though.  His footfalls fell evenly, but the pattern shifted on the twelfth step so as to avoid it.

"Captain Olivero," she said with her back turned to the young, blond-haired captain as he entered the room.  She glanced over her shoulder to look at him.  He was wearing the blue cloak of the city guard that looked too large on his slim figure.  "It is always a pleasure."

"My lady," Captain Olivero replied, bowing.  "I apologize about the late hour.  But the city guard needs your help this instant.  I have a cab waiting downstairs.  Would you please get dressed and come with me?"

"Certainly, Captain," the Lady said as she rose, gathering her robes about her.  "I was just thinking that things were getting dull."

Premise:  You play a sexy countess who solves mysteries.  She is a detecting consultant for the city guard, and is frequently hired to find killers, recover stolen loot, and gather intelligence.  The lady has a vast network of lovers--men, women, and monsters--and her work oftentimes takes her to the most sinful places in Absalom.

Posture:  Originally, I wanted to run this game through Roll20.  But then I couldn't get Roll20 to work!  So it's the boards for us.

Desires:  I would like to run a Pathfinder game for a female version of Sherlock Holmes.  She would have a lot of the same qualities as Sherlock Holmes, in that she is an incredibly skilled and neurotic detective.  This version wouldn't have a Watson, though--instead, she would have a wide-assortment of friends, colleagues, and paramours that function as invaluable resources.  For example, "this book will require a linguist to decipher.  Fortunately, I know just the man.  He is a polyglot who has mastered several ancient languages.  If anyone will be able to decipher this tome, it is him.  Besides... he owes me a favor."

The game's ambit is to place the lady in uncomfortable situations as she goes undercover to gather information.  Thus, the lady's player should be comfortable with anal, oral, BDSM, dom/sub, NC, groupsex (orgies, gangbangs, threesomes), public sex, hedonism, voyeurism, and multiple partners.  See my roleplay preferences.

Additionally, I would like for the lady to have a vile arch-nemesis.  Sherlock Holmes had Professor Moriarty, and the lady has an enemy in KING.  At this point, it would be unclear as to whether or not KING is a person or a group though.  I would like for the lady to have barely survived an encounter with KING by the start of this game.
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

HopeFox

There are firearms rules in Pathfinder on the SRD. They cover everything from early matchlock pistols to WWI-era rifles and revolvers. They seem pretty well balanced - they're better than crossbows, but not overwhelmingly so.

I'm very intrigued by the idea of the Middle East being taken over by drow. I think it might be fun to play a human from the former Ottoman territories who had to work as a slave to the drow before escaping.

I'm thinking of a wizard, or maybe a vigilante, especially if there's going to be enough social intrigue and mystery to make a vigilante appropriate. My main media exposure to the twenties is the later seasons of Downton Abbey, so I might not be too well versed in Roaring Twenties America, but I'm keen to give it a shot!

Chulanowa

Yeah, Pathfinder's got you set on firearms. Hell, they've even got lasers, if you're interested  ;D

Phantom, looks like you have the beginnings of an Investigator or Bard there.

Also, Ixy, how would you feel about anachronistic elements? You mentioned full plate, so I assume that this is a 'thing' in the setting, even if it's a silly thing (what with firearms hitting Touch AC and all) what about other similar anachronisms? Maybe with the addition of magic, some elements of "modern warfare" never take off? Why bother with a tank when you can spend roughly as much money to get a titanic iron golem to smash your foes up? Dragon sky-cavalry?

That is, are we going for Pulp-Era Shadowrun with fully-integrated fantasy elements, or more like (forgive me for the comparison,) Roger Rabbit, where the fantasy elements just happen to exist in an otherwise wholly mundane world with minimal impact?

PixelatedPixie

I'd be interested, but don't have much to add in terms of suggestions.  You might be able to draw some inspiration for Starfinder as well.  Or maybe jury-rig the conversion rules to go the other way. 

National Acrobat

There are 2 3rd party supplements that do modern rules for Pathfinder. I have both hardcovers, but the SRD has the rules as well

http://www.d20modernpf.com/

Ixy

Ok, so thank you all for the diffusions on mechanics and ideas for story elements so far.  Let me try to hit the basic idea and remind you that this is all just tentative and negotiable.

Phantom: right off the bat, I adore the concept of that character; an eccentric, sexy genius who flies in the face of propriety could fit nicely. 

National Acrobat: I will take a look, but I'm more anxious to supplement current stuff than at a while new venture.  I'm almost thinking we could use this and the D20pfsrd site for feats and weapons only, and otherwise sick to of.

Perpetual: I'm with you on the jury-rigging rather than seeking while other resource databases.

Chulanowa: I'm ok with it to a degree. For sure when it comes to style... Less when it comes to mechanics.

A thing to remember about getting the powers that be on one's side: Golarion is busy with its own businesses and only those whose interests have made it really worth their while to come to Earth have done so.  While an arch lich, or army of dragons, etc. would be great to have in one's corner, there's the whole matter of finding one and earning it's alliance.  Hell, even Golarion can't do that and they have thousands of years' head start.

PhantomPistoleer

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Waldham

In the Pathfinder adventure : Rasputin must die !

You can find :
Guns on Earth
Guns are commonplace on twentieth-century Earth and are integral part of morden warfare. As a result, Earth use the « Guns Everywhere » category of firearms rarity, as described on page 135 of Pathfinder RPG Ultimate Combat. Early firearms that use black powder are considered antiques, while advanced firearms and metalcartridges are widespread. Firearms are considered simple weapons, and firearms and ammunition cost 10 % of their listed price. However, firearms are still considered exotic weapons for characters from worlds with emerging guns, such as PCs from Golarion.
MODERN WARFARE
Although the focus of this adventure is on infiltration, investigation, and rescue, unless the PCs are extraordinarily careful, they are likely to run afoul of platoons of soldiers armed with modern weaponry more than capable of damaging them. Earth in 1918 is significantly more technologically advanced than the PCs' home world of Golarion, and modern firearms are the great equalizer. As a result, the nature of combat is different from what the PCs are used to-battle on twentieth- century Earth focuses on defensive positions and rifle fire from afar rather than close-in melee combat, and the PCs will soon face weapons that are both unfamiliar and highly dangerous .
To adjust fo r this shift in combat and to avoid having to make numerous die rolls in combats containing dozens of combatants, a new subtype that conglomerates units of individual soldiers into a single unified whole is presented below: the troop. This adventure contains several encounters with troops of Russian soldiers . These encounters are not meant as studies or simulations of modern tactical warfare; rather, by condensing many individual soldiers into a single stat block, the GM is free to concentrate on the atmosphere of the adventure without the fear ofbogging down the combats.

TROOPS

Looting troops

TSAR TANK

Barbed wire

Chemical Warfare Troop

Flamethrower Troop

Machine Gun Troop

Mortar Troop

Land Mine

Frontovisk’s gas mask

Gas-trap cylinder

Maxim of suppressive fire

Sniper’s helmet

Mordern firearm rules

Lawrence 1917 Flamethrower

Lawrence 1917 Flamethrower Fuel Tank

Madsen Light Machine Gun

Maxim M1910 Machine Gun

Mosin- Nagant M1891 Rifle

Nagant M1895 Revolver

Aasen Mortar

Hotchkiss 6 pounder

Gas Cylinder (Mustard Gas)

M1914 Grenade (Concussion)

M1914 Grenade (Fragmentation)

M1917 Chemical Grenade

Bayonet, Socket

Gas Mask

Scope

Tachanka

TRENCH FIGHTER ( FIGHTER ARCH ETYPE)

NEW ORACLE MYSTERY : Occult

Animated tank

Trench mist

Trench zombie

Empty Quarter from Dreams of the Yellow King
The Empty Quarter is a sand dune region within the larger Arabian Desert on the planet Earth that contains the lost city of Irem, the City of Pillars, along with the Nameless City. It was explored over a thousand years ago by the Mad Poet Abdul Alhazred, who discovered secrets hidden there that slowly drove him insane. He would eventually set down his ramblings in the dreaded occult volume known as the Necronomicon.

the Old Kingdom of Kemet from Empty Graves
Egypt is a nation on the distant planet of Earth that shares a strikingly similar history and ancient pantheon with the Golarion nation of Ancient Osirion.[1] As of 4715 AR, or Earth year AD 1920, the ruler of Egypt is the Sultan Fuad I.

R'lyeh from Wake of the Watcher
The nightmare corpse-city of R'lyeh lies deep under an ocean on the planet Earth. It is the domain of dread Cthulhu, who lies slumbering at the heart of the sunken city, held in stasis by the Elder Sign. At times, R'lyeh rises to the surface and the doors of Cthulhu's tomb open, allowing him to awaken and roam the city for a limited time.

Iron Gods (adventure path)
If you want a more advance technology with Numeria, Land of Fallen Stars and Technology Guide.

Wrath of the Righteous (adventure path)
If you have an idea about a rift.
A demon-haunted wasteland that lies at the northern-most reaches of central Avistan, the Worldwound is an unnatural blight: it is a rift to the Abyss opened on the Material Plane.

Ixy

Ironically, that volume of source material actually kind of unnerves me.  I'm building a story and setting in my mind with lots of weird elements already, and I want the people who wish to play to contribute their own vision to an extent, but I don't want to just jump into another adventure path's world on this one too deeply.  What, Waldham, from that material strikes you as the most intriguing? The most versatile or useful?

I compiled and tweaked a bunch of stuff today on my breaks and will post it shortly.

And Phantom: is that a PC you want to play, or a core NPC you fancy?

PhantomPistoleer

I want to play as her.

Or it would be fun to play as her Watson.  "Egads, woman!  What compels you to go through such extraordinary lengths to decipher what the man had for lunch!?"
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Ixy

Have a gander, folks... this is a first crack at building a database and background for the game.

Year: 1927

Currency:
Right now, all major world economies are using gold, silver, and mithril as standards for currency.  For the campaign setting, the prices below are fixed to the monetary value of the gold standard where 1 dollar = 1 "Gold Piece" on the chart... this is a measure of exchange currency, of course, managed in treasuries by country.  The US recognizes only US currency officially, but there are plenty of vendors will gladly-- GLADLY-- barter for Golarion coins of silver, copper, gold, jewels, or any other goods they can get their hands on.  This results in a lot of forgery and counterfeiting, and producers of such are prosecuted heavily. 

Actual pieces of Golarion gold must be assessed for individual value, but as long as they're at an accepted standard of at least 90% purity they bring in about $1.50 per gram of weight in proper currency exchange.  Minus expenses and tarriffs.  Minus taxes.  Rounded down.  To give you an idea, most gold pieces are about 3 or 4 grams, meaning a GP is supposed to be worth about $5 in exchange.

Equipment:
*Costs modified (my best attempt) to 1920s prices and antique weapons
*Basic references: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/firearms/ and http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/firearms/modern-firearms/
*Firearms of small or medium size range may be used by a medium sized creature at no penalty.
*Firearms target touch AC vs. most armor. 
**Magical armor with a deflection bonus, missile deflection, impervious, or similar effects (see DM) is effective vs. firearms. 
**Armor designed to stop bullets by mundane means is under development and may be considered in the story.  Dwarves love-- and hate-- guns.

One-Handed FirearmsCostDmg (S)Dmg (M)CriticalRange  MisfireCapacityWeightTypeSpecial
Antique Derringer$101d4-x45 ft.1-2 (5 ft.)    22 lbs.B and P   Conceal
Pepperbox$151d41d6×420 ft.1–2 (5 ft.)65 lbs.B and P
Revolver$351d61d8×420 ft.164 lbs.B and P
Semiautomatic$45-1d8x420ft175 lbsB and P__

(Two-Handed FirearmsCostDmg (S)Dmg (M)CriticalRangeMisfireCapacityWeightTypeSpecial
Rifle$401d81d10×480 ft1112 lbsB and P
Rifle, repeater$801d81d10×480 ft19 to 1216 lbs.B and P
Shotgun$451d61d8×220 ft.1–2112 lbsB and Pscatter
Shotgun, double-barreled$501d61d8×220 ft.1–2215 lbs.B and Pscatter
Flamethrower, Lawrence 1917$120*4d6620 lbs.   > Fire>black market
Fuel tank$1240 lbs.black market
Light machine gun, Madsen$160*__2d6x4100 ft.1–220, 30, or 4020, 22, or 24B and PAutomatic
Light machine gun, Thompson$200__2d6x450 ft.1-220 or 100*20 or 36B and PAutomatic

GearCostWeight  Effect
Bayonet, socket$5 (installed)1Adds melee option (pike)
Gas mask$41Resist gas/acid (Requires canister)
Gas mask canister$111 hr
Scope$61All range increments +1, lowest range increment becomes -10 to hit
Headlamp$22   Like miner's lamp in adventuring gear
Torch(Flashlight)$21.5
Drycell Batteries$114 hours electric light
Matches$0.02-A whole box of tindertwigs.  Fuck you alchemy.
Gasoline$.216A gallon of gas, minus container.
Automobile: Economy$5002000
Easily fixable, common parts.  Model A's new this year!  Automobile: Luxury$2000+2700
Automobile: Special-Purpose $1200   2400   Faster or more room
Truck$14003000Cargo not included
BusFuck who needs a bus
Camera w/film$32Kodak Box (Brownie)House   $7500-
Apartment (rent)$2/wk - $5/wk

Additional tidbits:
It cost fifty cents to get into the Savoy Ballroom
A steak sandwich at the Cotton Club cost $1.25
You could buy a record for $0.39
A raccoon coat would set you back $39.50
A console radio was $72.50
A man's suit (Coat, Vest, 2 Pr. Pants) was $15.85
For educated guesstimate purposes, I made a couple more formula:
-Railway fare is about $1 per hour it would take to drive by interstate today, and takes 200% that time
-Bus fare about $0.50 per hour it would take to drive by interstate today, and takes 300% that time, major cities less
This is also handy: An inflation converter

Magic Items:
* Magical Item conversion: Most magical and alchemical items are -not- available yet.  The most common items are at a premium and each requires government licensing.and approval.  White-Market Cost post licensing will be equivalent to about $5 per Golarion GP.  Yes.  That means a +1 dagger costs a member of the elite of American society over $10,000-- equivalent to the cost of about $135,000 today. 
* Magical items obtained in this way are usually just curiosities... animated paintings, prestidigitation's, home protections, etc.  A reliable, trustworthy artificer-- even a meager one-- who makes friends with a powerful, rich family on Earth is guaranteed to have just about anything they could desire.
* Gray-Market magic items are a much easier option.  You can get used magic items by being affiliated with a government agency for use in official business or, in some cases, on indefinite loan.  If so, these count against your wealth at a rate of $1/GP.
* Black-Market enchantment: You can potentially pay someone to enchant items for you.  Doing so is highly illegal and the going rate is about $2 per GP of enchantment (this, of course, depends on your relationship with the enchanter).  Many of these enchantments are unreliable.  Some are even self-destructive... sneaky bastards.
**Any unlicensed or black-market magic items will be confiscated immediately if located by the police.

I'm wary about direct-linking to a couple of history sites here from our lovely forum, lest they get... you know... nervous.  So have a look with the old copy-pasta method.

Opening setting for the game: St. Augustine, Florida. 
Please give a look to  W W W DOT drbronsontours.com/bronsonhistorypageamericanstaugustine1920stoWWII.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Villa_Zorayda which will feature in fictionalized glory as a central location...
and WWW DOT eyewitnesstohistory.com/spanishmassacre.htm

All this is still up for discussion.

Possible character concepts or factors that would be lovely fits:
*World travelers/adventurers
*Police liaison or actual detective
*Curiosity hunters
*Organized crime "case manager" or "face"
*Gambler
*Flappers
*A WWI Veteran or Intelligence Agent
*A scholar of Moorish, Catholic, or local Indian faiths
*Descendants of Spanish crusaders
*Paranormalist debunker (WWI brought out charlatans aplenty)
*Charlatans themselves, even...
*Golarion beings obsessed with Earth culture... like jazz, maybe?
*Inconceivably sexy combinations of all the above

Character Creation Proposals:
Epic Fantasy build (25 pt buy)
Start at level 4
Background Skills option granted
Classes: Core (Unchained), Base, Hybrid - Basically OK.  Occult: Considered.  Weird Modern and Pulp Shit: With Approval.  For Earthling characters, adapt to a modern setting.  Be creative.  Look at your feats and think, and ask, and have a list of the weird things.  Don't slip it by me and assume I'll catch it or, if I don't, you just won.  I will kill your PC if you sneak shit by me and I approve it by accident.
Races: Human preferred with 1-2 non-human OK, but try not to go overboard with cheesiness.
Traits: 2 traits, 1 drawback
Custom mechanics:
*Bonus "Appearance Trait - Select sexy, sneaky, or scary as a bonus trait (name it appropriately to your character).  Your PC gains a +2 to disguise and stealth in crowds, or +2 diplomacy and bluff vs. those attracted to your sex or gender, or +2 to intimidate overall.  (You can still be attractive regardless of your charisma, whichever you take).
*Sex has no mechanics.  If you need rules beyond a safe word, you're doing it wrong.  Sex will happen.  The flavor is up for debate but it won't be suction-cup tentacly monsterfucking.  There might be monsters fucking though... depends on the crowd.
*Base wealth: TBD.
*Rules are guidelines, not guardrails, and I will try to make it as fair as possible.  If I screw up, talk to me about it nicely.  If I wing it for story's sake, let's roll with it.  Talk, don't whine.  You probably know the rules better than me.
*See the armor rule mentioned above firearms table.  Magic stops bullets.  Car doors don't.

I'll add to this as we move forward.  Toss in any comments/suggestions you can think of.  Thanks again all.

Chulanowa

I've got a few ideas. it's just narrowing it down to which one! In order of clarity in my head...

• a barnstorming acrobat / daredevil who don't afraid of nothin'. becuase Halflings get +2 vs fear!
• An Inquisitor (or possibly Zealot Vigilante?) of Cayden Cailean who seeks to overturn prohibition. or at least guard the speakeasies from the coppers!
• Swashbuckling tomb robber turned egyptologist, ala Branden Fraser.
• Similar theme, different direction - A follower of the nearly-lost gods of Ancient Osirion who - fortuitously! - found themselves stranded in upper Egypt slightly after the Darfur Expedition. Wouldn'tyou know it, the gods are still there...
• A "lost soul" who falls into a weirdo cult, only to find the Patrons spoke back...
• A former Ottoman officer. Why is he in Florida? He heard the beaches were nice. (Sadly, 1927 is five years before the Great Emu War, else this would be an Australian...  :D )
• A country youth who turns to old (and alien...) ways of chivalry to make any sense of the crazy world he finds off the farm

HopeFox

The idea I have in mind is most definitely a student of Arabic faith, being a Muslim scholar in the Ottoman Empire before the drow took over. She (probably she) was studying the Qur'an both as a matter of her own faith and because she thought it contained mystical power, which was a crackpot heresy idea until magic actually started working. Unfortunately, this happened at about the same time as the drow took over. She has since escaped her slavery in the drow oil rigs, and might even have helped a few other people escape, but of course she wants to do more. For now, she has fled to America to evade recapture while she tries to figure out her next move.

I'm seeing her as either a wizard, using the power of academic and occult study to perform pure magic, or a vigilante who works covertly against the drow and other enslaving forces from Golarion. The choice will depend on what other people want to play, and whether a vigilante would be a good fit for the game, since their niche depends very heavily on the game style. I'm particularly fond of the Magical Child archetype, but that can be an even tougher sell. :)

Bibliophilia

This is just my initial idea!  It can be tweaked and altered to fit whatever you end up settling on, Ixy.  I was just inspired by the idea and couldn't resist coming up with a moll bard.

Clara Louise Swanson

Level 1 human bard | CG

Personality:  Clara is a sweet girl, though hopelessly naive, self-involved and, some might say, dumb as a bag of hammers.  She is always eager to help, but unless given specific instructions on how best to help those in need, she ends up doing things that seem utterly illogical, even potentially destructive.  Trying to understand her explanation for why she did what she did, however, is more trouble than its worth.  Still, her heart is always in the right place, and she is quite good at following instructions, as long as they're given as slowly and simply as possible.  Her elaborate beauty regimen and love of gaudy jewels and dresses aids in her role as the bard, as does her sweet singing voice and impressive, unexpected skills with a clarinet, but sometimes her self-involvement can be a hindrance.  She insists on her beauty sleep, has a weakness for handsome men with forceful personalities, drinks a bit too much and any money she gets seems to leave her palm before it's scarcely landed.

Description:  Clara is a pretty, bubbly, ever-smiling bottle blonde with big, expressive brown eyes, full lips, a slender frame and firm, high breasts a little larger than the ideal - for a flapper.  Her thick, wavy blonde hair is cut into a blunt bob just below her earlobes and is usually pinned back from her heart-shaped face and adorned by sequined and beaded headbands with feathers or bits of fur on them.  She accents her pouting lips with crimson lipstick and outlines her sparkling eyes with khol and mascara, as well as dusting the apples of her cheeks with rouge.  She wears mid-thigh to knee-length dresses in various jewel tones that typically sport fringe, elaborate beading or an art deco design that match her headbands and compliment the gaudy, but not unattractive, rings, necklaces, bracelets and earrings she favors.  Her shoes are typically heels of varying heights, all well-suited to the rest of her attire.

Backstory:  Clara was a moll for a small-time mobster who ran a speakeasy and handled a bit of bootlegging in Brooklyn, New York.  She sang in his club, about five times a week, and it was said that the patrons came as much to hear Clara boogie as they did for the booze and games.

She never paid much attention to the war, as it mostly went on when she was quite young, and she was only a child when the world broke in 1916.  As a result, she adapted quite quickly to the sudden introduction of magic and mythical beings to their modern world.  She'd always been fascinated by the other races, but her parents, quite conservative, didn't allow her to associate with any of them if they could prevent it.  The one exception was a brief friendship with an Elf girl that ended abruptly when her parents discovered the girl was filling their daughter's head with talk of magic.  Even trying to teach her some.

Clara never had to develop much in the way of cleverness, since her talent and pretty face got her far in life, and everyone expected she would find a husband who would take care of her after she left her parent's home.  But, then things went a bit sideways in the 20's and Clara was drawn to the glitzy, adventurous world of flappers, gangsters and speakeasies.

She started out as a cocktail waitress in Sal's bar beneath his father's butcher shop, but soon her talent for singing, charm and beauty earned her a spot on stage.  Sal decided she was his girl, and Clara voiced no objection, done in by his strong jaw, booming voice and powerful connections.  She didn't mind that he made all the decisions, because it meant she didn't have to make them herself, and she had grown accustomed to not having to think much.

However, a year or so after she'd taken the stage, an elf visited the speakeasy and drew her into a conversation after the show.  Sal was focused on some business associates, so he failed to notice her chatting with the
elf...something he didn't approve of.  He had no problem taking their money, but he was as prejudiced against the beings from Golarion as her parents had been.  Maybe even moreso.  But, given the chance, Clara was thrilled to get to talk with the handsome, young man.

The elf revealed that he'd been to see her perform several times, trying to confirm his suspicions about her.  That night's performance had finally settled him and he told her that she had innate magical abilities that she could cultivate if she wished to learn.  The idea of being able to work magic thrilled her, though she expressed concern that she wasn't smart enough to pick it up.  The elf explained a bit about bards and how they channel their magic through their performances, and reassured her that it was less a matter of learning a lot of complicated spells and rituals, like a wizard...and more about tapping into emotion and her natural wellspring of magic.

For the next few weeks, Clara met with the elf in secret, knowing Sal would most assuredly not approve, and started learning how to use her magic.  However, inevitably, Sal discovered what she was up to and they had a terrible fight.  He threatened to kill the elf, forbade her from seeing him anymore, and even struck her.  Sal was under the impression she was sleeping with the elf, however, and had no inkling of her powers.  So, when a sudden flash of light and shower of sparks exploded between him and Clara, who was on the floor with one hand pressed to her stinging cheek, he let out a startled yell and jumped back in fright.

Clara rose as Sal watched her warily, suddenly frightened of the meek girl he'd cowed with his forceful personality and sharp words.  Seeing Sal diminished by fear of her, Clara had a true moment of insight, ushered in by the ringing slap he'd dealt her when she'd begged him not to make her stop seeing the elf.  Coolly, Clara gathered her things and walked out of their small apartment, informing Sal that she'd send for her clothing and personal items once she'd found a permanent place to stay.  Anger darkened his face, but a brief flare of sparks was enough to make him grumble a few choice words about her character and let her leave.

For the first time in her life, Clara was on her own with no one to dictate how she lived.  It was terrifying, but also a little bit exciting...

Sexuality:  Clara's only ever been in a relationship with men before, and if she were asked, she'd say she was a hundred-percent straight.  However, Clara's doing a lot of things she's never done before, and her mind is being expanded as she experiences the world beyond her tiny bubble for the first time.  It's quite possible she could find herself attracted to almost anything, really.  I'm personally open to an array of potential partners.

PhantomPistoleer

Ixy --

I would like to build a human investigator.  I would like to use the Empiricist archetype, because it fits my original character idea.  But I would also like to use the Steel Hound archetype to modernize the character (the archetype grants proficiency in firearms).  The problem: both the Steel Hound and Empiricist use up Poison Lore, and therefore cannot technically stack.

In building the character, do you think that I could make those archetypes stack anyways?

EDIT:  I take it back!  There are other things that don't stack between the archetypes.

Also:  I would like to use this character image.

Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

Chulanowa

PP, in this setting firearms are simple weapons, so you don't need to worry about proficiency unless you're playing a wizard or some archetype that doesn't allow simple weapons (like the Ecclesitheurge cleric or True Primitive Barbarian)

Kinda pulls some of the charm out of the many archetypes whose trade off half the class features for "you get a gun but are still worse than a gunslinger!"

PhantomPistoleer

Quote from: Chulanowa on January 03, 2018, 12:31:43 PM
PP, in this setting firearms are simple weapons, so you don't need to worry about proficiency unless you're playing a wizard or some archetype that doesn't allow simple weapons (like the Ecclesitheurge cleric or True Primitive Barbarian)

Kinda pulls some of the charm out of the many archetypes whose trade off half the class features for "you get a gun but are still worse than a gunslinger!"

I should read the rules more closely.

::retrieves his monocle::
Always seeking 5E games.
O/O

National Acrobat

If the Occult classes are available, I think I'd like to play a Psychic, an American, Human, who when he began his studies was thought eccentric for focusing on the psychic arts, but with what has happened in the world now, suddenly finds himself with ample proof of his theories and becomes an investigator/hired hand for solving things and braving the unknown.

That's my baseline anyway.