[Red Hand of Doom] Chapter 1: Something Wicked This Way Comes

Started by Jeramiahh, October 15, 2009, 01:45:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

"Absolutely, ma'am. It's why there's as many of us out here, as there are. Enjoy your stay in Drellin's Ferry."

A short ways away is an ancient-looking guard tower, crumbling and recently repaired, by the looks of it. Another guard stands near the door, eying the part suspiciously, as they approach.
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I nod to my sister, thinking for a moment before twitching the reigns to head off that direction, smiling at the guards a bit.  I whisper to her. "I hope that they are a bit more careful than their manner suggests they are sis.  But...if they aren't, we aren't going to be around long, are we?"

Faeylin

Lyra

The red-headed human continued to travel with Aerynnel and Martel. Though she did not speak, she overheard the conversation between Tahline and the guards. She smiled at the men once the twins had passed through, and offered them a simple "hello." Then, turning to the other two, she asked, "Do you think maybe we should investigate this old troll house as well? The two girls in the carriage had a map...maybe if we listen in on the conversation between this Captain Soranna and those two, you'll both get your questions answered." Lyra flashed them a charming smile, and nodded. "I think we really should follow along for now."

OOC: I'm not sure if we've become a single group, or not. It still feels like there are two separate groups going on...is that ok, or should we somehow be coalescing into a unit? For now, I just kind of assumed that the two groups aren't moving or acting together. The twins are kind of riding off in their carriage, and there hasn't been a lot of incentive to follow along yet.
"Come into my parlor," said the spider, ever sly.
"I have these sexy, long legs, and I'd love to suck you dry!"

Ons & Offs - My Idea Thread [F/F]

Alluistras

Lakota ran slightly ahead at the druid's signal. The wolf kept to the shadows for the most part, scouting ahead but staying in visual range. Aerynnel kept her eyes on her, pondering what the guards had said. It concerned her greatly what they said about frequent raiding parties. It only served to fuel her unease.

Aerynnel moved with the rest of the newly formed group, eager to hear what this Captain had to say.

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I park the carriage in front of the Toll House, and quickly move to the door of the carriage, opening it and asking Syphia. "Would you make certain that everything is taken care of out here?  I'm going to take Christabel inside and get the two of you a bedroom.  And us, of course."

The dark haired half-elf nodded and replied softly as she handed the dazed human girl over to me. "Of course, milady.  I'll take care of it."

I take the human and help her stand, in spite of my own relative weakness.  I glance at the others from the combat and sigh, stepping over to the doorway into the Toll House.  I carefully open the door and step inside, careful not to jostle Christabel too much.  I hoped Tahline would get in here and do the talking.

Jeramiahh

The old toll house is a crumbling guard tower, a few hundred feet from the outskirts of the town, atop a small rise, overlooking it, and the river. As the party approaches, The bored-looking guard stands somewhat more to attention. "Can I help you, travelers? Needing directions?"
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I mutter as I realize that the old toll house wasn't an inn, like I expected, and put Christabel back, telling Sylphia. "Never mind, would you find the nicest inn in town and take care of things instead?  Sis, you coming?"

Turning back to the guard, I tell him politely. "We encountered a group of hobgoblins outside of town, and the guards said that we could speak with a Captain Sorana here?"

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I smile a bit, hopping off of the wagon lightly and adjusting my straps a moment.  "Of course, sis, of course.  Sorry, I've been distracted with thoughts regarding the map and such."  I glance back to the other individuals, quirking a brow to them, "so...are you planning on coming inside, or lurking around outside?"
Ons and offs!
President of the CharlieSariel fanclub ^_^
A&A

Jeramiahh

"Aye, she'll be eager to hear news." The guard knocks heavily on the door, then opens it, gesturing for them to enter.

Inside, the building is in much better condition, although still rather run-down-looking. Stacks of paper sit on a desk in the center of the room, and, behind it, a strong-looking woman, who's likely a capable swordswoman, although, as captain of the guard, has been pulled into doing more paperwork than she ever wanted to, and is looking forward to the interruption to the drudgery. "Yes? Can I help you ladies?"

Alluistras

Aerynnel didn't particularly like being around so many people. It wasn't her way, and it made her uneasy. However in times like these it wasn't hard to push her feelings aside. Information was what she needed, so after motioning Lakota to wait for her outside and out of sight, she stepped inside with the others. Negotiating wasn't her strong point, so she decided to wait for the others to speak.

Faeylin

Lyra

Lyra smiled at the two tieflings as if she had never met them before and there was no history between them and her. "Of course," she replied to Tahline. "I'm just as interested in finding out what the woman inside knows. If this area is in danger, maybe there's something we can do to help." She looked at Leyota and Martel. "They each have their own reasons for wanting to know as well. Why don't we all go inside together?"

Lyra moved with the others in the cramped confines of the guard tower. Even though there was room for all of them, they still stood awkward as a group...not entirely comfortable with one another. Deeper inside they met the captain, and it was Lyra who spoke first. "Umm, well...we're not so much a group, exactly...but travelers, each going our own ways? We were set upon by bandits, outside of your town, and I think these two found something...important?" she said softly, gesturing to the tieflings.

In all truth, Lyra hadn't really paid much attention to the map, so she didn't know much about it; but from what she had overheard, it meant there was danger for Drellin's Ferry. "Maybe if they share this news with you, you can also tell us a bit about what's been going on around here? Some of us," and here she turned to look over at Martel and Lakota, "have some questions about what's been going on lately. Things just...I mean. They don't feel quite right in the area, if you get what I'm trying to say." Lyra stood back, to let others speak as well.

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I nod slightly to my sister, gently taking the map from her for the moment as I turn to the woman at the table.  "Ah...Captain Sorana?  I'm Tahline."  I gesture to my sister, "this is Caline.  The others we've only recently met, so I'm not certain of their names, though I will vouch that they fought well against the hobgoblin brigands that attacked us outside of town.  Oh...on that note, whom should we speak to in town regarding care?  Two of our servants were gravely injured in the fighting.  We've done what we were able for them, though having someone more...trained in dealing with such injuries would be appreciated."

I raise an eyebrow to her, gesturing to the table, "do you mind if I use the table for a moment?  The map is fairly detailed.  Much of the original is in common, though the pertinent parts are in the goblin tongue.  If needs be, I can translate.  The important thing is, though,"  I look at her pointedly, "if I'm reading this correctly, it seems that there is an army massing for an assault that will march over this place on its way through the Vale to Brindol.  I'm not certain when their time table is set to begin...for all I know it may have already started, but it says they'll hit here on the fifth day of their march and Brindol on the 35th."  I set the map on the table carefully.  "I removed it from the...personal belongings of the leader of the group that attacked our carriage"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I follow the others in, keeping a wary eye on the ones from the ambush site.  I didn't exactly mistrust all of them, but I wasn't willing to turn my back on them, not yet.  Besides, sis would fill in this Captain Soranna.  In the meantime, I was going to make certain that they didn't try to put a dagger in our backs.  Otherwise, I keep silent, unless a question was directed at me.

Jeramiahh

Captain Soranna nods to each in turn, as they're introduced. "So, these bandits are more than just raiders? Perfect, more wonderful news." She sighs heavily, although almost gleefully sweeping the papers off the desk to make room for the map.

"Right... as to your first question,there's a shrine of Pelor, on the north side of town. You ought to be able to see it from outside, with the golden sun on the front. It's hard to miss. There's a couple of taverns in town, The Green Apple and the Old Bridge Inn... you lot look like you might prefer the latter." She listens carefully to the description of the map, following Tahline's gestures. "An army... if they're planning to march on Brindol, they're either brave and stupid... or powerful. I hate to ask this, but..." she hesitates, then forges onward. "Can you spare the time to search for this, for us? Our town has been under siege by these raiders for almost a week, and show little sign of stopping, and we can't spare a single man. We think their base is in the forest, at the ruins of the old Vraath Keep, which that squiggle there seems to suggest. Clearing that out might help our city. I know you just arrived, but if you're strong enough to handle those bandits, you might be just what we need... we can't pay much, but this just seems like bad news piled on top of worse." She sighs again, then looks toward each party member. Her gaze is normally harsh, but now it's melting into an almost pleading look; the stress of the situation must be getting to her, even though she doesn't show much, outwardly. "Can you help us?"

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I ponder a moment, looking to sis for a moment to see how she reacts to the suggestion, giving her a quirky smile of my own.  I resist the urge to giggle at her slight rolling of eyes and sigh, then turn to the captain with a bright smile, "of course we can help."  I gesture dismissively, "I'm not worried about pay overmuch...I would hate to put a town obviously down on its luck and possibly in for worse in the near future out even further by demanding grandiose tribute.  Any assistance that can be offered in support, though, and possibly a place to lay our heads, rest, recuperate and resupply would be appreciated." 

My smile broadens a touch, "particularly if you could persuade any merchants that...preferred pricing would be greatly appreciated?  I'm not going to ask that they take a loss on anything, but knowing that we have the support of the townsfolk and a place to get rid of any excesses that we might come across makes life that little bit easier."

((Diplomacy:  14 + 7 = 21, aiming for room & board + discounts/bonuses from vendors))
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I sigh ever so slightly and mentally shake my head.  Damn it, did sis have a sign on her that told people what kind of sob stories to give her?  There was no way in this world that the captain could have given a better plea.  Though I was concerned about her.  Seriously, one cute girl with a pout, and everything would go to hell.  After a moment I give her a faint nod, not that she actually waited to see my opinion, of course.  I consider saying something, but instead shrug and keep an eye on the others.  She knew what she was doing, so far at least.  And if all else failed I'd gag and tie her up in the middle of the night, and then run for it.  Again.  I was not repeating the debacle with that dragon and the fair maiden that it had kidnapped, right before sis had finished seducing her, no less!

((Bluff 10+17=27))

Faeylin

Lyra

The red-headed girl wasn't quite sure what to make of the situation yet. The captain--a very lovely woman in her own right--was asking for aid; to help the townspeople fight off an overwhelming force. It didn't sound all that self-serving, but she tried to ponder the idea more fully. In times past, Lyra had been in areas and places where war had broken out. All the normal rules of society faded in a climate like that. Atrocities became common, and people revealed who they truly were. Lyra had a special place in her heart for killers, and if things got bad enough, it would become very easy to find prey in the area. Besides, the cloud of heroism could grant immunity for almost any deed.

She stepped forward, her mind cold but her words and attitude full of passionate warmth. "I'll help too! This isn't my fight...not really, but what else can we do, right? We can't just leave the town to get trampled over by these monsters." She smiled at the captain, and at all the others gathered around. "I'll give my blade to see what we can do here, but...just in case we can't stop them all, you might consider getting some of the women and children out of town, to safety. It looks like things are going to get real ugly soon, and I'd hate to see innocents getting hurt." She cared a little less about the rest; the smile that graced her lips after came from the thoughts of what she might do to the worst of them, given half the chance.

Then, echoing Caline, she said, "And yeah, if we're going to be putting our lives on the line here...anything the town can do to help us would be super appreciated!"

DreadD

Martel listened quietly, having calmly followed the others in, glad of the lack of volatile response from the locals yet, hoping its absence would continue.  She nodded as she heard the captain's request.  Unlike the others, this was, it seemed, her fight.  This must have been what she had been sent to do, and so she would do it.  With the aid of the others hopefully it could be handled without the long trek back to her people, without attempting to rally them, and their neighbors and trade allies.  It would be most disruptive to the populace, and there was no way to be certain it would not be too late by the time they returned.  Hopefully the group here truly meant to render assistance, hopefully the group here would be enough.

Alluistras

"I will, as well, assist you, but will need time to prepare" Aerynnel said before making her way out the door. The cramped quarters was starting to suffocate her. She waited for the others, as it was probably best to stay together for now. She glanced toward a copse of trees in the distance. Lakota was there waiting for her, and she would remain close by in case the druid needed her assistance. There was little time to spare, but rest and mediation was required before continuing on. The battle ahead would undoubtedly be trying, but at the same time, Aerynnel felt a sense of exhilaration at the thought.

Jeramiahh

Captain Soranna looks only slightly relieved, but relieved nonetheless. "Thank you, all of you. We can't spare anyone from our city's defenses, let along enough to make it through the Witchwood safely. I'll be glad to offer what supplies I can, as little as they are. I'll arrange for a pair of rooms at the Old Bridge Inn for as long as you're here. I'm afraid I can't speak for the merchants here, but the prices in our town are fairly fair, regardless. I can offer you standard-issue guard equipment, but..." She glances over their equipment, shaking her head. "I doubt you'd find any of it useful."

DreadD

"Thank you for your support, regardless."

Martel spoke up, with an even nod, looking over at the others.

"I am sure we will endeavor our best to bring an end to these troubles, but that will have to wait until tomorrow, I suppose we will just have to rest for the evening and set out on the morrow."

She said, looking at her companions.  It seemed she would be sharing a room with one or two of them on this evening.

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I nod kindly to the captain and smile, "of course, captain.  We'll be in your debt for anything you or your town are able to do to simplify our time here."  I gesture to the map, "do you mind if we take this with us?  It may help us to navigate and determine what it is we're actually looking at as well as marking what we find where."

I carefully roll the map again, handing it to sis to put into the case again.  "Shall we be off?  I'd like to make certain our...companions have settled in and unload anything we don't want to take on the trail."  I pause, looking at the rest of the group for a moment and look to sis once more, "I fear we'll have to leave the carriage...it doesn't have the room to fit the others and it's likely we'll be off the path for a ways."
Ons and offs!
A&A

Faeylin

Lyra

The red-headed girl nodded to the captain, and then laughed once more as the group headed out. "Wow, only two rooms? You'd think they could spare a couple more for us, given that we intend to do everything in our power to help Drellin's Ferry." Lyra moved with the others, and she seemed very upbeat and flighty now. "Hey, you know what this means, right? We get to bunk together! At least some of us do. Just two rooms and five of us?" She went silent for a second, and then said. "I call you Martel, if you'll have me. I'd love to chat with you into the late hours of the night about your people. You seem so interesting and neat!"

As the group moved further out of the old tower, she spoke to the twins again, and more to Tahline than Caline, since she seemed to be the voice of the pair. "Well, since it seems like we're going to be working together for a bit...what do you think about maybe starting over? I didn't mean to be so rude to you and your sister. I was just a little frustrated at being ambushed...kind of in a bad mood. Think you can accept my apology and give me another chance? I promise I'm not all that bad!"

And yet she really was. While Lyra truly meant no harm to her companions, the thoughts that swept through her head at that moment would have revolted any one of them. They were her own. Private. Hidden. She would indulge them only when the others could not find her out. For now, if she intended to help the town, she wanted to do it with friends. While she couldn't offer an emotional bond, and they would never accept her, there could exist a state of mutual trust and loyalty. Already they had each slipped off her radar for one reason or another; she would have to find more suitable game elsewhere.

ShamshielDF

Tahline Hunithundlin

I listen intently to Lyra as she addresses Caline and I.  I resist the urge to blink at her latter comment, having the feeling that there was something...darker about this girl than others.  Not as dark as some of our family, but darker than most...untouched mortals.  But my read of her so far was uncertain and I couldn't be sure just how it was she was different from the rest.

I nod slightly, offering my hand with a smile, "Tahline."  I say simply and gesture to sis, "and she's Caline.  Sisters."  My smile becomes more...genuine, leaving the rest of our relationship unsaid.  "I can understand certain frustrations...I feared our servants were dead or dying and our carriage was badly under assault!   How was I to know the hobgoblin would take an offhand remark as an invitation?"  I laugh a bit, shaking my head and letting her hand go.  "Fortunately, sis was able to repair the damage to my armor."  I point to where they had been several minor rends in the leather of the corset, the taut skin like new in those places.  And...at close inspection, not bovine or deer skin leather.

I shrug a bit as we walk, "sis and I can stay in the carriage, if need be, or pay for our own rooms, unless there are others that would care to share accommodations?"
Ons and offs!
A&A

Myrleena

Caline Hunithundlin

I mutter slightly under my breath, glancing at Tahline as I speak softly to the Captain. "We'll do what we can, but I'm not certain what all we can do.  Now to get our servants to a set of rooms.  And sis, I'd rather we be on our own tonight.  We need to...discuss things."

I give sis a pointed look with the last comment, looking her in the eyes.  She was dragging us into another mess, so I was going to give her a piece of my mind.