News:

Main Menu

Perfect Dark N64

Started by Sabby, September 01, 2008, 01:14:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sabby

[trying to get a copy of GoldenEye 64 so I can form a better opinion on this]

Easily better then most games out for next gen consoles. It was pretty (for N64) it was fun, had some pretty damned intense shoot outs (twelve guys + double SMG + sweeping reticle = John Woo's bloody wet dream) and the multiplayer was just godly fun.

It also has co-op <3 how many shooters back then had co-op? Squee!!

Aiden

I played this game SOOOOO much in......Freshmen year (I Do not recall the exact time)

But I never owned the game, and I was always subject to horrible beat downs.

Sabby

You played in college? What was the most annoying weapon people would spam on it? XD

Also, having a weapon called the 'N-Bomb' is just asking for trouble.

Aiden

For for nostalgia sake we bought a n64, it was priced to move at 9.99 at Game stop and picked up a few faves:
Starfox 64
Mario Kart 64
Mario 64
Perfect dark
It all cost about 40 dollars total, worth every cent.

I meant to say I played as a freshman in high school, but we still have a working n64.

Well besides the always fun "slayer tag"
Far sight....walking walking...Dead! WTF! RAGE!

Sabby

Laptop gun always sent someone into a rage.

Aiden

Laptop gun was the BEST weapon ever, The camping/defense capabilities with that weapon are priceless!

I still wish to this day to see a laptop gun style in other FPS games.

Avi

My vote is the Farsight for most annoying weapon in the game.  Laptop gun is a close second, though.  My friend used to sit in a corner where two corridors met, setting up laptop guns on either end and just sit there.  Most... annoying... tactic.  Funny, though.
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Sabby

A grenade can solve that issue fairly easily :P especially in proxy pinball mode.

Duel wielded Cyclones + Magazine Discharge = ded!

Alexander

This is where my trap expertise comes into play... My favorite weapon of all time. The Dragon assault rifle. Deadly in the right hands, Even deadlier in crafty ones.

Proximity Detonation...

Sabby

Dragon < SuperDragon!

The Skeddar rocket launcher was fun. Chasing a guy with a webcam equipped rocket <3

Alexander

Id have to say that my favorite weapon that didnt realy have any special tricks to it has to be the K7 avenger... I loved that weapon so much in games where mines were used.

Sabby

I seem to be the only one who likes just campaign mode... everyones talking about multi XD as fun as it is, story mode was pretty intense as well.

Sabby

I am resurrecting this thread! Because today, I finally get the rerelease of Perfect Dark on Xbox 360 :)

Solid 60 fps frame rate and responsive controller... <3

Soran

Now..i haven't got a Xbox360... a pity, but I do remember the orginal.. actually have still got it along with goldeneye. Both had solid stories, fantastic innovative gameplay and (especially Goldeneye) was groundbreaking...oh the hours I wasted on Goldeneye, especially blasting my mates. So Sabby, what's Perfect Dark like on the 360? I may have to get one if it's brilliant... *goes to look at the giant bomb videos of Perfect dark*  ;D

Sabby

Its the same game, but 60fps frame rate, better character models and effects, leaderboards, online multiplayer, co-op and counter-op, and it uses the 360 controller... which in my opinion is one of the comfier, tighter controllers out there. The N64 controller was a little awkward and the control stick got really weak after a while.

I'm looking forward to doing the whole campaign on Special Agent :) thats the only way to play it! More objectives, more responsive enemies who can take more bullets and shoot accurately enough to make you actually strafe and use cover.

Soran

Damn, you realise I now have to buy a 360 now... heh.. thanks for the info sabby, much appreciated *goes to look at prices*

Sabby

My advice, ask for a refurbished console. Its been totally repaired and is in as good a condition as a brand new 360, but sold for a second hand price. I got mine for 300 Australian dollars, but that was also with a modchip and a handful of games... new console goes for 450 on average.

Xanatos

The Perfect Dark campaign for 64 rocked hard. I loved it, Elvis was hilarious! The story kept me going and the levels were all mostly fun, a few being annoying. I loved the story, it was a great game. I loved the AI on multiplayer and the over all design and playability was just pure awesome. I played for days on end in campaign or multiplayer. One of the best games ever.

Avi

*Steadfastly resists going and getting it off of the Xbox Arcade right now*  Must... finish... chunk of paper...

I still think the effing Farsight was ridiculous, especially in close levels with air ducts.  I can't remember the name of the level, but it's one with a massive stack of boxes in the middle, a bunch of corridors, and an airduct system that ran throughout.  The Farsight in that level got you so many freaking kills...
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

Sabby

Got it. Its fantastic! Just shot someone while they were running away. In the ass... with the sniper... 6 times. xD

Ridcully

It's a pretty good remake on the Xbox 360, got it right away too.

Perfect Dark was one of the best games ever; when it comes to shooters, right after Goldeneye. Perfect Dark was one of these games when friendships were soon forgotten. 4 boys, 1 N64, and more ambition than in a Chinese Olympics training camp. Good days.

TheWriter

Ruined for me by this.  All but two of those were created in the space of five hours, and that's after the mods started stepping in and deleting them.  Rare didn't need to stoop to this to sell the game, and there of all places; it's Perfect bloody Dark for f's sake.

That said, I was never really into it, or Goldeneye for that matter.  Only one of my friends had a N64 as a kid, and playing him at PD was like pushing a boulder uphill, with my friend destroying me through the boulder with the Farsight on whose spawn point he was camping.  I was just plain overwhelmed, underexperienced and completely jaded.  I'd even seen reviews that gave it 101%, with little columns specifically to justify the extra 1% (hey, look guys, you can choose whether to make it lag or not!  Isn't that cool!?)  And before someone mentions lack of shooter skill, we were on even terms in Timesplitters a couple of years later when we both had PS2s.

And now again, it comes out on a console I don't own.  Not too fussed, still busy waiting for Crytek UK to pull their finger out and decide what they're going to do with the TS franchise.

Brandon

I still have the original Perfect dark cartridge tucked away in a drawer (but sadly no N64 to play it on). When you got friends together the game was just good fun, much more fun then I had with Golden eye because I liked the futuristic spy theme more. The alternate fire settings were also awesome and added a creative element to the game that players could make the most of.

Overall I wish more fiction based FPS or 3rdPS games had both alternate fire and co-operative play. It would make them much much much more fun.

Also Laptop gun + proximity pinball grenades was my favorite combination in the game
Brandon: What makes him tick? - My on's and off's - My open games thread - My Away Thread
Limits: I do not, under any circumstances play out scenes involving M/M, non-con, or toilet play