Cheap meals for under $10

Started by Moonhare, November 26, 2009, 11:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moonhare

Those are great ideas, as is serving it with salsa, sour cream, or anything else you desire. It's just a variation of baked eggs, but it can be so versatile in muffin sized bites.

I love quiche, but my SO doesn't (He has issues, I swear), so I make these without the pie crust and he eats them.

Also, the recipe makes about 6 good sized quiche or 12 small bite sized ones.

Beguile's Mistress

The cheese lover here at the office said throw more cheese on top!

Moonhare

<.<.....>.>

That's why it's a dollar for cheese. I topped mine too. Half for in the mix, and half to top. lol

Senti

I have a book by a lady called Gillian Holcombe, the title is   ‘How to Feed Your Whole Family a Healthy Balanced Diet, with Very Little Money and Hardly Any Time, Even If You Have a Tiny Kitchen, Only Three ... - Unless You Count the Garlic Crusher...’

It is brilliant, and I swear by it. I am more than happy to share recipes from it.

Moonhare

Feel free to add your favorites. This is an open thread for favorites that are cheap and enjoyable.

Olvar

Ok I figured I'd throw mine in, it's kind of a potluck deal as you can change it about three different ways to make different things and it's all done in a crock pot which means i can throw it in and walk away.

1 head cabbage, cut up and throw in crock pot.
1-2 large cans chicken broth
1 can chicken breast (or diced up leftovers of chicken breast from something else)
Season to taste, I use Morton's Natures Seasoning, with a little extra garlic powder.

Cook until the cabbage is tender.

You can also throw in some noodles at the very end (don't throw the noodles in too early, or they will get mushy), or dice up potatoes with it at the beginning for something a little more robust.  I've done this basic recipe with variations up to and including throwing in curry mix.  It's not fancy, but if you are busy it's great because it can cook while you are doing something else.
"Whoever battles monsters should take care not to become a monster too, for if you stare long enough into the Abyss, the Abyss stares also into you."
—Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, chapter 4, no. 146
Ons and Offs

Tad

Spanish Cream of Squash Soup

Roast 1 acorn (or similar) squash.  The fast method of doing this is to cut the squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and place both halves in the microwave for 10 minutes.

Simmer the following group of ingredients until they are all soft, about 45 minutes.
1 apple, cored and thinly sliced
1 potato, chopped
2 carrots
1 large onion, sliced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tbsp paprika
1 tsp oregano
1 chicken bullion cube
3 cups water

Pour the sauteed mixture into a blender. Scrape out the squash and add the fruit to the blender as well.  Puree until creamy, then place back into the pot.  Add 8 oz skim milk and heat, stirring regularly.  Don't let the mixture boil.  If desired, you can add some finely chopped turkey or chicken to the pot as well.

Remove from heat and serve.  Makes 6 cups of soup. Refrigerates and freezes well.
In the process of moving, so posts may be slow
Need an idea?        Ons and Offs

Beguile's Mistress

*adds acorn squash to the shopping list*

Moonhare

-Agrees-

I think I will add this as a soup for my Christmas meal.

Oniya

And remember, seeds of squash can be roasted for munchies.  I usually oil the little broiler tray that came with my toaster oven, season, and leave them in there at 350 for 5 minutes.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Tad

My first write-up was by memory.  I double checked the recipe and fixed a couple things.  That being said, this is a nice recipe because besides the meat (which is optional), everything else is stuff that can store for weeks to months.  That way you can just keep them around and and cook it up when there's nothing else in the house. 

Also, squash is just awesome as a stored food.  I was able to get a bushel of mixed squash at my farmer's market for 16 (23 squash in all).  Each one feeds me for 1-3 meals, depending on size.  And if you get the ones that were properly picked and have at least 2+ inches of stem, they can keep for up to three months in a dry location.
In the process of moving, so posts may be slow
Need an idea?        Ons and Offs