Invaders from the Robot Planet! (B-movie RP, freeform/system?)

Started by Revenent, February 05, 2012, 10:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Revenent

The citizens of Grant County, Oregon, are facing a danger that's out of this world! Mighty invaders from an autonomous world come in droves to conquer the human race! The National Guard is called in to wage war on the alien force, but nothing seems able to stop this unholy hoard of metal monstrosities! What can humanity do in the face of these emotionless destroyers?!

WITNESS! Earth's own creatures turned against it!

WITNESS! Crowds of innocents fleeing from the titanium invasion!

WITNESS! A terror beyond your darkest nightmares!

In the end, who will win: Man or Machine?

Details
So, if you haven't guessed, I wanted to do this RP as a sort of lighthearted, affectionate parody of the terrible films that passed for science fiction back in the day, with a focus on letting everyone just have fun and not get bogged down with taking their characters or the plot too seriously (though that doesn't mean your characters can't still be deep and likable, even you have them fall into b-movie archetypes).

The idea will become that of many of the citizens of Grant County coming together and using their various skills to overcome the robot invasion, including the National Guardsmen, local police officers, local politicians, teachers, scientists, construction workers, college students/of-age high school students, store owners, electricians, zookeepers, and just about anything else you can work in some way.

As the title implies, I'd like to get any interested people's opinions on whether or not they'd prefer this to be a freeform or system game (though it'll be something of a sandbox either way, except for when robots attack). If people really do want it to be a system game, though, I'll be looking for a trustworthy co-GM who's competent at system games, because I'm mostly unfamiliar with them. But, for now, just let me know if you want to have some fun. :-)

EDIT: Oh, and let me know if any of the four images in the original post don't work. I tend to run into that problem a lot. :-(