Fracturing the Shoutbox

Started by Vekseid, July 25, 2009, 03:54:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trieste

An inclusive clique is not a bad thing, but I think people are worried about exclusive cliques that work to make others feel inferior and unwelcome.

To be honest, I could not imagine anyone on E acting that way, and we've gotten comments that we are one of the warmest, most welcoming communities some of our members have come across. I don't think exclusivity and elitism is a problem here, but I do think people are gun-shy from drama-heavy sites.

ShrowdedPoet

Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Krysia

Cliques are going to happen, it's the nature of making friends. You hang out with the ones you see on a regular basis. :/

Boian> I know there is cheaper things, just tossing out ideas love! :3

Duncan

How about breaking it up into ratings.  For example the SB is pg-13 which in itself is stupid since other parts of the world has different rating systems but... have it in tabs you can click to go from pg-13 to R or X

I like how things I mention get dismissed, only to reappear several months later. :P

Duncan

Duncan

Aeval

I see the SB as a way of getting to know people.-I don't frequent it very often but I enjoy 'lurking' and listening...the newbies pop in and join conversations and the older Elliquarians romp and have a good time. If you fracture it, I think it will go the way of the Doormat, HB and Steambox: you will have only newbies using one, and the others wll be used only sporadically. I guess my question is: What is the purpose of the SB? I see it as a way of getting to know people and say 'hello'- If there is an overload and fracturing can't be avoided- I understand that. But..if it CAN be avoided..I just wonder if fracturing won't split E! into more subgroups instead of having at least one place for us to come together as a community. Just my 2 cents! :-)

“Tomorrow may be hell, but today was a good writing day, and on the good writing days nothing else matters.”
― Neil Gaiman

Paradox

The ShoutBox already has an ignore feature. Just type /ignore NAME and /accept NAME to unignore them. It comes in handy.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Greenthorn

Quote from: Karma on July 26, 2009, 08:46:42 AM
I like how things I mention get dismissed, only to reappear several months later. :P

Ahhh Karma...this has been an ongoing issue from before I joined I assumed.  It's how the steambox/hotbox got started  ;)

As I said, I think that those who donate should get a SB with no limits on rating.  In all actuality, it could be a reward (and might entice more people to donate) Yes, I'm a little biased since I've donated...but it makes sense in a way....you donate and you get more features...but it's -only- a chat feature.  That way it's not as if those who cannot or will not donate are being shunned.  The current SB maybe should go back to the old way...to keep a public face?

Trieste

Probably it was buried in unhelpful comments like this one.

*thinkthink*

'I told you so' is never really polite, whether you did or didn't.

*ponder*

So that means you have a crapload of helpful suggestions, since you've thought about this for months already. I'd love to hear them.

Will

Quote from: Greenthorn on July 26, 2009, 10:23:55 AM
Ahhh Karma...this has been an ongoing issue from before I joined I assumed.  It's how the steambox/hotbox got started  ;)

As I said, I think that those who donate should get a SB with no limits on rating.  In all actuality, it could be a reward (and might entice more people to donate) Yes, I'm a little biased since I've donated...but it makes sense in a way....you donate and you get more features...but it's -only- a chat feature.  That way it's not as if those who cannot or will not donate are being shunned.  The current SB maybe should go back to the old way...to keep a public face?

Go back to the old way?  O.o  The manual refresh?
If you can heal the symptoms, but not affect the cause
It's like trying to heal a gunshot wound with gauze

One day, I will find the right words, and they will be simple.
- Jack Kerouac

Dakota

Quote from: Paradox on July 26, 2009, 09:02:22 AM
The ShoutBox already has an ignore feature. Just type /ignore NAME and /accept NAME to unignore them. It comes in handy.

accept doesnt work lol
so be careful who you ignore lol

Oniya

Does logging out and logging back in fix the problem, Boian?
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Vekseid

I've wanted to develop a multi-room, multi-community CMS to actually function -as- Elliquiy since before the site was founded, much less the shoutbox or AJAX chat we have now. Heck I even mentioned this to you when you suggested it.

That's what the subscription bar is for, actually, to free my time and soul to develop it. : )

Everything else is really a stopgap measure to handle Elliquiy's growth as a community until I can get that finished.

Dakota

good question, will try now lol

Dakota

Quote from: Vekseid on July 26, 2009, 12:55:33 PM
I've wanted to develop a multi-room, multi-community CMS to actually function -as- Elliquiy since before the site was founded, much less the shoutbox or AJAX chat we have now. Heck I even mentioned this to you when you suggested it.

That's what the subscription bar is for, actually, to free my time and soul to develop it. : )

Everything else is really a stopgap measure to handle Elliquiy's growth as a community until I can get that finished.

which cms systems did you look at?

Paradox

Boian-- That's odd; it worked for me earlier today.

Either way, all you have to do is use /ignore a second time to remove them from your Ignore list.

"More than ever, the creation of the ridiculous is almost impossible because of the competition it receives from reality."-Robert A. Baker

Nadir

Quote from: Greenthorn on July 26, 2009, 10:23:55 AM

As I said, I think that those who donate should get a SB with no limits on rating.  In all actuality, it could be a reward (and might entice more people to donate) Yes, I'm a little biased since I've donated...but it makes sense in a way....you donate and you get more features...but it's -only- a chat feature.  That way it's not as if those who cannot or will not donate are being shunned.  T

I like the idea of this, but in practicality it might not work so well. Didn't you say somewhere that you only knew/talked frequently with one or two other donors? (I can't remember where this was said, or when, it could have been an old topic... I'm a sieve brain) - and also, what about those donors who wish to be anonymous? Would they get access to the donor SB and blow their cover as it were if they appeared in there, or would they not get the special feature despite the fact they help support the site? And what about the people who donate time instead of money to help keep this forum going? Maybe tally how many hours work they should do before letting them in? And what about when/if there's E merchandise shop? Will the people who buy the goods be classed as donors? Or what about the people who attract more people (and potentially more donors) to join? Is there going to be a number of new referrals that has to be met before they get the privileges?

*shrugs* There are more donors in E than the badges say, but what guidelines would define what privileges they would get? And having features that are only accessible to those who have spare cash might cause something of a bitterness between those who can and those who can't afford to be frivolous with their income. It's not a pretty thing, class divisions - and that's pretty much what you're talking about.

Marguerite

It starts with a Donors only SB and can head into many directions especially one where there is a class division of those who can spend their cash on E and those who want to but financial restraints stop them from doing so. Just as Eden placed and what I mentioned earlier, while having more than one SB sounds good in theory, it could also lead to the original SB dying out with the new 'SB rooms' opened for those who rather be in their own group of friends than socializing with those outside of the group. Myself, I enjoy interacting with various people and made friends because I stepped out of comfort zone.
*R.R*A.A*O.O*Wiki*Bordello*Whip and Apple*
You Keep On Crying, Baby, I'll Bleed You Dry
Mar Is Currently: Taking On Threads
Check My Absence Thread For Updates, Thank You

Paradox

My problem with the Donors Only SB is that I don't think it would raise very much in the way of funding; after all, one donation, and you're in. I'm sure quite a few people would think "What's the point in continuing to donate after the privilege has been bestowed? I got what I need out of it."

Quote from: Vekseid on July 26, 2009, 12:55:33 PM

This is what I would suggest, really. These stopgap measures don't solve the problem; it seems to me they'd create new ones to pile on top of the old ones. I don't really like any of the suggestions given thus far except the concept of a whole new system. Of course, I'm coming from an extreme position - I left the SB after months of grating against it, and except for the sporadic visit here and there, I don't intend to return unless there's a new option like that.

Greenthorn

Eden...I honestly don't know who I talk to has donated...and who has not.  I really don't pay any mind at all to people's badges...  *shrugs*

If the SB gets changed in any way...someone, somewhere is either going to 1)feel left out 2)not like the change.  This has been a problem with Elliquiy for -at least- over a year.  Everyone cannot be happy with every change.

I personally would be in both SBs if another was made...because I'm dorky like that!

Greenthorn

Why does the SB have to keep changing anyway?  I mean...isn't Elliquiy a role playing website?  Is there really that huge of an issue with the SB that it needs to be changing?

I'd rather see the change with the profiles/search for members thing!