Defenders of Phlan (D&D, loosely based on original Pool of Radiance game)

Started by IStateYourName, January 07, 2014, 10:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IStateYourName

Anyone remember this?

This would be a 1E/2E D&D game.  Characters would begin at first level.  Unlike the game, this will be more than a dungeon crawl, with RPing, problem-solving, and of course all varieties of sex. 

If you're not familiar with earlier editions of D&D, don't fret.  It's like 3rd/4th edition, only characters don't turn into superheroes at 5th level or so.  Most of the same concepts, like ability scores, spellcasting, and so forth still apply.  Making an early edition character is pretty fast and simple.

Laughing Hyena

I do remember this and remember a ton of fun and nostalgia with it. Posting interest

IStateYourName

Quote from: Laughing Hyena on January 08, 2014, 02:00:06 AM
I do remember this and remember a ton of fun and nostalgia with it. Posting interest

I had it on two different systems, the PC version and the Apple IIe version.  I still remember swapping out floppy disks when moving from one section of the city to another.  But it was fun, sitting with my old 8086-based laptop out and about somewhere and gaming, long before portable device gaming was in vogue.

IStateYourName

For those not familiar with the game, here's a synopsis: you begin the adventure in the city of Phlan, on the shores of the Moonsea (a relatively small inland sea perhaps a quarter the size of the Mediterranean).  The city is surrounded by monster-infested slums, ruled by an evil overlord named Tyranthraxus.  Your characters get commissions from the Phlan city council to perform various deeds, usually related to clearing the slums of monsters and, ultimately (by this time your characters have advanced to 5th or 6th level) handing the big T a dirt nap.

Obviously, the campaign here with this carbon-based DM will be less linear, with more subplots, and the ability to leave the city entirely (which you could also do in the original Gold Box game, and level up rather nicely by stumbling across lairs in the wilderness and whupping monster ass).

Mysterica

You certainly have my interest.  I've been wanting to try out some old school D&D at some point!

Thorne

This looks interesting - although it's been a while since I picked up the math-nightmare that is 2e.

Still. Interested.  ;D
Writer of horrors, artist of mayhem.

Currently available, frequently lurking.
Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies
Ideas and inspirations: small groups

Muse

oh!  I would very much love to play!  Especialy second edition. 

and well met! 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Sahariel

What Muse said =)

On a side note, I considered running an adaptation of Curse of the Azure Bonds at one point--using 3.5 rules.

IStateYourName

For those of you unfamiliar with 2E rules, or not wanting character creation to rival the complexity of reconciling accounts receivable for a Fortune 500 company, fear not.  I'm not really obsessive about rules or system.

My main reason for not liking the later editions of D&D is that there's too much bleed-in from contemporary MMORPGs, with characters getting super powers and stylized attack forms a la Mortal Kombat and whatnot.  I like a ruleset that allows characters to gradually gain more power and develop, but which keeps them human and mortal. 

There's enough interest I'll definitely be running this. 

Andi

IStateYourName

Muse

Yays! 

May we use the Faiths and Avatars trilogy? 

Or perhaps the Complete Book of Elves? 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Mysterica

Definitely a good question from Muse.  The one time I was going to get to try out 2e I was just about done building a bladesinger... when the game fell through and never even really got started, and I'd still like to give that concept a shot.

Muse

*Grins*  bladesinger, swashbuckler, and priest of specific mythos.  I sense great things brewing...  :) 

Thorne

I was thinking to pull out one of my old Wizard concepts - easier than rogues for my math-challenged self. ^^;

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Andi

Oh, the options... without cracking open all the old books, a cleric/mage of mystra's church is the immediate character that came to mind. Possibly revisit that paladin of Torm, if that would suit the party makeup better.

Jr

I want in, too. Not sure what I want to play, though. I'll see what some others come up with first.

Strangefate

Just posting interest if there’s still room.  I'm not familiar with the PC game but definitely know 2E quite well.  I don't have a character in mind yet, depends somewhat on what others are doing.  Something thief-ish maybe? 
A/A/Misc
On/Offs

"Vanitas Vanitatum!  Which of us is happy in this world?  Which of us has his desire?  or, having it, is satisfied?" - George Makepeace Thackeray, Vanity Fair

Thorne

Hrm. Well, there's a quirk of 2e I'd forgotten about - classes are restricted to certain races. Elf wizard = okay. Elf Evoker = not okay, according to the book.
How much of the book are we going by here? 'cause apparently, the GM I played that character under was ignoring that bit. ^^;

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

IStateYourName

I'm not going by race/class restrictions.  And all races can multiclass.

Thorne

Excellent!

So, to hopefully save further questions, how do you want us to do stuff like stats, HP and the other crunchy bits?

Ons and Offs
Absences and Apologies

Jr

So, what level are we starting at? And has the issue of allowed and restricted content been addressed yet?

IStateYourName

Excellent questions.  I've blocked out a chunk of time this weekend to delve into these matters and bang out a character creation guide.   :D

Mysterica