BattleTech 3050 ((Looking for new recruits!))

Started by Wargtass, November 15, 2012, 10:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sel Nar

There's a reason the Baseline Catapult Survived for so long; It's the perfect balance between long-range firepower, short-range deterrence (get all 4 medium lasers on the same body part and you can strip off as much armour as an Ac/20, after all), and mobility due to being jump-capable.

The Archer (70 tons, not 75) is the Golden benchmark all other Fire-support 'mechs are measured against; It's moderately fast for its size, has a pair of LRM-20 racks with enough ammo capacity to last for a good long while, 4 medium lasers, and, interestingly, it has a 'Zombie' reputation because, like the larger Awesome, It's almost impossible to kill an Archer unless you core the engine or head, as it'll have long run out of ammo by the time you get close enough to start pounding into its 13 tons of armour.

Wargtass

Quick two cents before I go on patrol again.

While we pilot some pretty obscure 'Mechs in this company, the Nightstar and Longdow take the cake. Nightstars are closely guarded secrets of the ComGuard (which is itself a closely guarded secret) and the Longbow as Matt said doesn't resurface for a while. To further pile it on, the Nightstar's speciality is pretty much already filled up by a Kingcrab with twin Gauss and an Awesome 8M (technically 9M, but we can't call it that just yet...  ::)).

Other than the Catapult I can recommend that you look into the Crusader for a pretty decent LRM-boat. Otherwise the Archer and Catapults are pretty much a given.

Off to patrol again, see you guys later tonight!
O/O

PaladinZenaku

OK I didn't know about the crusader but now I am looking I have found out something. My character was going to have his origanal faction as free worlds league and kallon industries has made a variant for the crusader during 3050 from one of their factories inside FWLs control. I was thinking about trying to talk over ideas with you'll and fine tune a good story why I have a new model. I was thinking like I retired that year from the military to go merc and was allowed to buy the mech due to my great service record. That was a quick thought not what I will use unless it is good enough. Oh the variant is
CRD-5M - The 5M is an upgrade from around 3050 that uses recovered Star League technology. The 'Mech is powered by an XL Engine and uses double heat sinks to vent its heat more efficiently. The 5M is also capable of jumping up to one hundred and twenty meters. The 'Mech is armed with two LRM-15 launchers, two Streak SRM-2 launchers, a Flamer, a Machine Gun, and two Medium Lasers. For added protection, the 'Mech has an Anti-missile System to protect against missile attacks.
"Underneath the silvery moon,
Your path can still turn foul.
You'll know you've made a wretched move,
When werewolves start to howl."
~Shadowfang~
Alpha Male of Southern US Pack

Blobbe

The CRD-5M was introduced in 3049, so it's not out of the question. True, it'd be brand-spanking new, but it's a fair fit for the role. Just have to explain how your character got one. On the upside, its a lot more versatile then a Cataplut.

PaladinZenaku

I will take it but like you said the story is the issue. That is actually the only thing keeping me from posting my character. I am open to ideas if you have any.
~Shadowfang~

Blobbe

Generally I'd consider the most important things to be:

*Where did he come from?
*What was his background when growing up?
*How did he learn to pilot a 'Mech?
*Why did he become a mercenary?

Start there and things tend to flesh themselves out. And never be afraid to ask for help and advice.

If you want some more ideas, check out the Character Thread for those in the game so far.

PaladinZenaku

Ok I will get to it right now by tonight I should have my pilot posted here for you to see.
~Shadowfang~

Lady Quixote

I always forget about the Crusader is a missile boat, yeah that's a very good choice.  Actually if you pair it with our other missile boat (Lily's Axman...two LRM 15's as well) they'd probably do pretty well together.

Matt

PaladinZenaku

The pilot is pretty much done but need answers for the mech info.
I am using the CRD- 4BR (background is workable with this model) but I dont have the armor values (just noticed).
~Shadowfang~

Lady Quixote

http://goodsects.gotdns.com/bte/images/temp/RS_2574_White_White_White.png

a general armor idea is fine, it isn't really a system game and each player is kind of on their own for dealing with enemy units.

Matt

Etah dna Evol

If there is still room for me I am looking at revising my CS later this evening to include my mech as a unique variant of the NTK-2S Night Hawk  that keeps the Guardian EMC suite and the Beagle Active Probe, removes the large laser and the ER large laser for two medium pulse lasers and a NARC Missle Beacon. If that is an acceptable combination.
- Etah dna Evol

TURN ONs and TURN OFFs

TheGlyphstone

Night Hawks won't be manufactured again until 3055, it looks like, and the -2S isn't around until 3059.

Blobbe

At this point, you're largely only looing at the 'Mechs found in TRO3025/3039 and some of TRO3050. Most of the 'Mechs in TRO3058 are either long-extinct and awaiting ressurection (such as the Nightstar and Night Hawk) or don't exist yet.

For a similar 'Mech, you could go the Wolfhound; same weight and speed as the NHK, same all laser armament.

TheGlyphstone

Quote from: KaylaM on March 02, 2013, 04:23:56 PM
At this point, you're largely only looing at the 'Mechs found in TRO3025/3039 and some of TRO3050. Most of the 'Mechs in TRO3058 are either long-extinct and awaiting ressurection (such as the Nightstar and Night Hawk) or don't exist yet.

For a similar 'Mech, you could go the Wolfhound; same weight and speed as the NHK, same all laser armament.

Though he could make a case for the Nighthawk, since it stopped being made in 2945. Plenty of time for the surviving models to get wrecked, but not inconceivable that some still survived - dwindling due to lack of spare parts, but potentially existent.

PaladinZenaku

This is just a start I might have to fine tune it.

Pilot

Name: Robert Johnson
Sex: Male
BattleMech: Crusader CRD-4BR
Homeworld: Oceana
Original Faction: Free Worlds League
Description:

Background: Robert was the joy of his parents. His mother died when he was 2 and left his father to become the personal tactics trainer for the merc group he worked for. During sorties of the mercenaries, his father would take Robert for a underwater walk in his mech. Robert eventually grew up enough to learn how to pilot his dads mech. After he turned 20 his father bought Robert his crusader and got him into the mercenary group. A few more years went by Robert was on a mission when he heard the mercenary groups base was attacked by pirates and there was no survivors. Upon returning to Oceana, Robert took one last walk to the very spot where his father took him. After that he decided to leave Oceana and the mercenary group to find the pirates who killed his father and get revenge. It took him five years to find them, on the plus side he caught a job to kill the group. During the night, the pirates partied outside under the moonlit sky. When all of a sudden a booming voice was heard,"I can feel the cold hand of death, and the end drawing near.I've seen gods of the men, and I am what they fear." Then as it finished a streak of LRMs burst from the darkness flying straight towards their mechbay. With precision aim, the missiles slammed into the ammo crates which detonated with a thunderous explosion. As the mortal pirates looked on at their precious mechs burning in the blaze, one screamed out pointing to a large figure with one glowing blue eye. Before they could run the giant's machine guns opened up and ripped through the crowd. After killing all the pirates, Robert went on to accept any merc missions he could land. Several being protection detail, long range support, and some training on is off time. He specilizes in training militaries injumping out of dropsips into water and amphibious assaults.
Personality: He is known to be studious, intelligent, highly honourable and above all calm. His intellect is applied to rapid analysis and exploitation of conditions on the battlefield and on the decisive application of force to destroy the enemy.When angered, he undergos a transformation into an uncommonly aggressive force that will devour all who oppose him. It is hard to get back on his good side if you get him mad.

Speciality Skills: Among his time on the beautiful planet he has learned Poetry, Photography, and Scuba diving.\

BattleMech Characteristics

Chassis: Crucis-B
Weight Class: Heavy 65 tons
Callsign: SeaWolf
Description:His mech is painted with a very light blue and some dark blue. On the chest of the mech is a proud emblem of a wolf with flaming red fur.

Loadout:
2xLRM-15
2xStreak SRM-2
2xMeduim Laser
2xMachine Gun

Modules:
CASE

Upgrades:
Double Heat Sinks

General Armor Values:
Head: 9
Left/Center/Right Torso: 24/33/24
Rear Torso: 6/8/6
Left/Right Arm: 20/20
Left/Right Leg: 21/21

P.S.
I know my grammar isn't that well and am looking for someone who can help me with it.
~Shadowfang~

Blobbe

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 02, 2013, 05:05:30 PM
Though he could make a case for the Nighthawk, since it stopped being made in 2945. Plenty of time for the surviving models to get wrecked, but not inconceivable that some still survived - dwindling due to lack of spare parts, but potentially existent.

The Nighthawks being made in the 30th Century were stripped-down low-tech models, lacking in ER Lasers, XL Engines, Double Heat Sinks and the like. Hence why the Wolfhound is likely a better choice as they, you know, exist.

As it stands, the team allready has one unique, should be extinct 'Mech in its roster; two would really be stretching credibility. Besides, nobody else started play with a custom 'Mech, rather with everyone in stock configurations.

Etah dna Evol

What do you think about a Raven? It would brand spanking new having been released 3048, but it fulfills all the essential roles of a light mech.
- Etah dna Evol

TURN ONs and TURN OFFs

Sel Nar

One's being purchased on Outreach, as a trade-in for a sensor-blind SHD-1K (3025 weapon configuration).

PaladinZenaku

Well does someone have a TAG system?
~Shadowfang~

Lady Quixote

Nope, no TAG at present.  But NARC pods would be more useful for all of our LRM's and allows the mech to be more mobile.

Matt

Etah dna Evol

Updated my character sheet on the last page. It's now a Raven which has a TAG and a Narc Beacon as well as a Beagal Active Probe and a Guardian EMC suit. I choose the primary configuration and made no unique modifications. It was put out in 3048 so it and everything on it fits in with this time period. In other news new Mech smell just as nice as new car smell.
- Etah dna Evol

TURN ONs and TURN OFFs

PaladinZenaku

Well the raven is a good unit and I think is a good choice for a group using LRMs. wish I could look it up more but sarna.net isnt working for me right now.
~Shadowfang~

PaladinZenaku

OK Etah dna Evol guess now we wait for someone to start criticizing our characters. We both know there is only one spot so I wish you good luck in getting it.
~Shadowfang~

TheGlyphstone

I suggest a gladiatorial duel to the death for the slot.

Or, for our female players, a mud wrestling match. ;)

Wargtass

Quote from: TheGlyphstone on March 04, 2013, 04:35:43 PM
Or, for our female players, a mud wrestling match. ;)

You don't want order, you just want mud-wrestling! You are the worst supreme judge ever!

As for our gladiato... applicants. As Sel said, we are already exchanging one of our mediums for a fully equipped Raven once we reach Outreach. Also I am not sure about the date on the CASE II but I think that is a Jihad era experimental equipment, don't quote me on it though. Worth to note is that Paulos would probably never have heard of his grandfather serving in the ComGuards, seeing as it was such a great and well kept secret. They went so far as to mind-condition those who left so that they could not speak of it and even so those are some pretty fanatical people in the first place. Ol' Bones, the former leader of the merc group, for example, never associated himself with the ComGuard after leaving, he only alluded to being a ComStar-born mercenary in service to the zealous organization. Just throwing that out there as the residential Adept of the group.  ;D

The Crusader looks good and has a legal build for 3050, though I think the BR-model itself wasn't available at the time. But we allow for some freedom after all, otherwise Sel Nar would have blown out some tons of heatsinks along the way. Also an interesting angle on the amphibious assault 'Meching.

In the end it comes down to what the players want. If they are ok with two Ravens the choice becomes more difficult. I myself have no preferences.
O/O