Jet Set Radio Revolution

Started by ChainsawAdams, August 14, 2013, 04:42:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChainsawAdams

Date: 3427

After generations, Japan has developed into the leading super-power of the world just recently surpassing the United States.  While it's small size prevents it from being a major importer or exporter of goods it has become an R&D brainchild using the cybernet to manufacture high end goods through the recently conquered industrial nation of China.  Now, with the attention of the world on them, Japan has developed stricter laws and regulations to portray an image of organization and authority to help secure their new status in the world.

Many have fought back against the attack on the peoples freedom but were swiftly silenced and detained for the greater good.  Next came the information restriction act to filter out undesirable media and images.  The city was soon wiped clean with a resulting city beautification act.  However like always, with added restriction resulted with equal turmoil.  The Revolution was sparked by the development of Spiri-tech

Spiri-tech, hardware developed combining the spirituality of the ancient monks with advanced computer technology, broke-out into the underground scene shortly after Japans rise to power.  Unlike normal tech functioning on programs and electricity Spiri-tech was creative hardware fueled by the human spirit.  The rebels had found their new tools of the trade.  Magi-cans, Spray-paint cans which imprinted the users mental images onto a physical canvas.  And Grid-X.  A new brand of skates with magnetic grind plates and an anti-grav propulsion system capable of horizontal rail rides.  With these new tools the youth took to the streets and began to paint over Tokyo's ivory towers.

A single revolution soon divided into many independent voices.  As a result a number of rival gangs were formed all fighting over the turf of the city constantly laying claim to new areas and calling out challenges to each-other.  A group keeps its pride and power by securing their territory.  Laying claim by painting an area in their own art.  If ever painted over it is seen as a decoration of urban rivalry.

The desire to express freedom soon was lost in a struggle for power.  However, a small gang from the coast finally desides it is time to enter the big city and remind the larger teams that it is freedom and not power that is truly important.  But to due this they must climb the ranks and paint their message along the way.

These underdogs will soon face rival gangs from "Poison Jam" a monstrous legion laying claim to the city sewers, to "Rapid 99" A mighty force laying claim to festival grounds and amusement parks.  All of the renegades, however, are hunted by the police, military and the Golden Rhino's, a secret political organization of assassins hired to swiftly silence offenders of Tokyo's new political agenda.  It is also rumored that they also dabble in the black arts.

Jet Set Radio Future Music Video - Jamiroquai - Canned Heat

Playa Sign-Ups!

Name:
Nick-name:
Home Territory:
Appearance:
Personality:
Trick 1:
Trick 2:
**Choose Tricks = character specialties**
graffiti, speed, stamina, acrobat, power, reflexes, balance
Gear:
Players main tag image:
History:
Criminal Record:
I have a comic. 
(Ask me for a link)
I have a radio show
(Fridays 11pm EST on Party 934)
ON / OFF's
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=152802.0

Revenent

Have yet to play the original, but JSRF is one of my favorite games ever pretty much, and I played Jet Grind Radio through to the end despite the awful controls. I'll get a character app in ASAP.

ChainsawAdams

Character:  'Voodoo'

Male

-History-
Voodoo grew up the son of an undertaker who's responsibilities were to tend to the needs of the largest cemetery in the Tokyo region. When he first went to school, Voodoo was picked on so badly for being different that he ended up having to be home schooled. While learning the basics of education he also became familiar with various occult practices and rituals. With no friends he made his own. While most would say he had imaginary friends Voodoo was actually communicating with the local wandering spirits. One night as he roamed the streets he saw a team of riders and was amazed. He had always wanted to express himself openly and it appeared as if he had found his way.

Voodoo has two sides to him. One is the rumor, the other is the truth. Rumors were spread that he was a reaper who skated the streets to claim the souls of fallen riders. Some claim that the Golden Rhino's used their powers to raise the best skaters from the dead only to dissect and operate them together to construct a demon skater. To the few who actually know the truth about him these rumors are far from the truth. Voodoo, in fact, appears to be the eternal child. He has a childish innocence as well as an unwavering ignorance towards serious adult matters. While shy he does enjoy the company of others and has a smile that can light up the room despite his dark appearance.

-Appearance-
Voodoo is always ghostly pale. He can always be seen wearing loose, patchwork clothing. He has messy black hair. Voodoo always has dark circles under his eyes and wide fuzzy pupils as if he hasn't slept in years. While skating many see his form as sloppy but it is anything but. While most skaters tend to balance their weight while performing tricks and grinds, VooDoo lets his body go limp causing him to sway and flap his arms loosely. To the untrained eye one expects him to fall at any time. However rather than balancing his weight, Voodoo senses the small variations in the Earths magnetic pull and adjusts his body to flow with it allowing him to keep his center of gravity. Voodoo has a number of Celtic, Pegan, and Wiccan symbols tattooed on his body which helps him bond with the supernatural.

Trick1: Graffiti
Trick 2: Balance

Gear:  Rescue chute
           Magi-can
           sun-goggles
           Hook Shot
           Assorted tools
           Bottled water

Tag:

I have a comic. 
(Ask me for a link)
I have a radio show
ON / OFF's

Thorn14

Tempted!

What kind of RP can we expect out of this?

ChainsawAdams

well if you've ever played the game it's a very unique scenario.  Basically to simplify it, we're a street gang in the future specializing in graffiti and skating.  In the RP I see the group being in allot of police chases, gang v.s. gang competitions and battles.  I wanted to throw in the dice system.  For instance if your goal is to tag over a rival gangs graffiti you have to roll a certain number before you finish but the more times that you roll the more likely you are to get caught.  Would also be involved in speed / trick contests to improve the gangs standing on the streets.  I can also see some mission goals like finding certain records and other banned material
I have a comic. 
(Ask me for a link)
I have a radio show
ON / OFF's

Thorn14

Oh I loved the games.

What about adult elements? This is elliquiy afterall.  :-)

ChainsawAdams

I have a comic. 
(Ask me for a link)
I have a radio show
ON / OFF's

morph8hprom

I'm very interested in this and would love to participate, but I feel like it's really lacking in info.  I can understand leaving it up to interpretation in some points, but it would be nice to have a few things clarified.  For example, what are the available home territories to choose from?  Should we just use our imaginations in regards to gear and create whatever soul-fueled tech we think would be useful? 
Thanks for posting up such an awesome idea!  Hope to follow through and have a lot of fun playing.  :)

ChainsawAdams

just tell me what you want clarified and I'll work on it and deliver.
I have a comic. 
(Ask me for a link)
I have a radio show
ON / OFF's

morph8hprom

I just did. :D   That's all I can think of right now.

Datawych

Going to give my tentative interest for this one, though I'd like a few things expounded upon as well. Will there be adult elements? How about a dice system? (I don't think one is necessary all the time, because it often slows things down, but perhaps something like World of Darkness, where a dice check can be improvised for most situations if necessary). Is there a limit on the strength of spiri-tech gear? I'd be glad to work with others to develop some example items, so we can get a better idea of the strength/utility of most gear.

What about a GM? Would we need one? If everyone's on the same team, so to speak, where would conflict come from? Or maybe a few players would be the heads of other groups, and be given proxy control of their associates/henchmen.

Really like JSR, and I think it could work, but as of now it seems to me like the proverbial sword needs to be folded a few more times before someone fights with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4V4IEV8l-gA

ChainsawAdams

If you want I can start making up a mapped grid of Neo-Tokyo.  As for gear I was going to leave it up to the players imagine.  What you seem to want is to have more rules applied.  Does that mean you would want me to work in a dice rolling engine to the rp experience?
I have a comic. 
(Ask me for a link)
I have a radio show
ON / OFF's

ChainsawAdams

I have a comic. 
(Ask me for a link)
I have a radio show
ON / OFF's

Datawych

Quote from: ChainsawAdams on December 23, 2013, 12:26:00 PM
What you seem to want is to have more rules applied.  Does that mean you would want me to work in a dice rolling engine to the rp experience?
Not necessarily. Like I said, I don't think a dice system is entirely necessary, but if all of the player characters are allies/working toward the same thing, we need some way to figure out if they succeed at something they're attempting, or if someone (be it another gang, the police, a corporation's private security, etc) manages to stop them.

And regarding gear, I don't think we need to go so far as to make a list of items that players can choose from. But I don't think it would hurt if we had a few example items with descriptions of what they do, and perhaps how hard they are to use/acquire. That way when people are coming up with gear, they have an approximate level of power/utility to compare them to. To keep people from unintentionally making hideously overpowered/underpowered items.

ChainsawAdams

bumping.   still looking for interested parties
I have a comic. 
(Ask me for a link)
I have a radio show
ON / OFF's