News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup 2014

Started by consortium11, May 12, 2014, 10:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phobetor

Congratulations Germany, it was a fantastic shot.

It was a well played game, I was really pleased that they played so well and the winning goal wasn't until extra time.

:) This World Cup had a lot of surprises.

Quote from: becca on July 13, 2014, 04:40:26 PM
Not good enough, apparently

Considering they held their own until the final second half of the extra time, I think it was extremely well.
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

Shewolf

Quote from: Nicholas on July 13, 2014, 04:42:37 PM
I cheered for The Netherlands yesterday.
:-*

Quote from: JackWhite on July 13, 2014, 04:41:42 PM
Aren't Dutchies supposed to hate Germans?
No, that would be silly as I am half German. :P
Besides... why would I hate Germans? I wasn't born until waaaay after the war.
Seems kinda silly to hold a grudge by inheritance... too many people do that already.
I like making up my own mind. ;)

'Night everyone  :-* :-* :-*

Nico

Quote from: Shewolf on July 13, 2014, 04:50:38 PM
:-*
No, that would be silly as I am half German. :P
Besides... why would I hate Germans? I wasn't born until waaaay after the war.
Seems kinda silly to hold a grudge by inheritance... too many people do that already.
I like making up my own mind. ;)

'Night everyone  :-* :-* :-*
I couldn't agree more with that!

consortium11

JackWhite

Quote from: consortium11 on July 13, 2014, 05:05:05 PM
Deserved result.
Argentina had the best chances after 90 minutes though. In the end I feel that this game had to go to penalties because they both had good chances but in the second half of overtime Argentina speculated a bit too much on that.

pleaseteaseme

Congratulatons Germany, you've come so close so many times in both the World Cup and the Euro's in the last few years.

Enjoy, it's a great feeling as I got to experience in 2006 when Italy won.  :-)

Phobetor

Quote from: pleaseteaseme on July 13, 2014, 05:27:00 PM
Congratulatons Germany, you've come so close so many times in both the World Cup and the Euro's in the last few years.

Enjoy, it's a great feeling as I got to experience in 2006 when Italy won.  :-)

*Grins* Considering this is their fourth win, I'm sure they're used to the feeling ;)
Not Available for new Stories.
Taking a break from E.

JusticaPax

Germ warfare, the Americas' only weakness! :P Why does every team I want to win lose! *cries softly*

My (JusticaPax's) A/A thread[/b]

"The sedge is wither'd from the lake,/and no birds sing."

"Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest; I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God: Where thou diest, I will die, and there I will be buried: the Lord do so to me, and more also, if ought but death part thee and me."

pleaseteaseme

Quote from: GrapeTootsiePop on July 13, 2014, 05:32:02 PM
*Grins* Considering this is their fourth win, I'm sure they're used to the feeling ;)

You might have a point were the last one not 24 years ago.  ;)

Deamonbane

Like Brazil between 70 and 94....
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Remiel

Although I had erroneously predicted a Dutch win, I did choose Germany in the initial poll, basically because they had so many Bayern Munich players.  I have to admit that I was cheering for Argentina in this one because I really wanted to see Lionel Messi hoist the trophy, but I can't really argue with the result.  Both teams played a phenomenal game.  I was afraid that Argentina would "park the bus", as they say, in front of their own goal but they came out swinging, pressing the ball where they could and creating opportunities.  The loss of Di Maria certainly hurt them, and I'm sure that both Higuain and Palacio will be haunted by their missed opportunities for the rest of their lives (or at least until 2018). 

Despite the low scoreline, this was a much more entertaining game to watch than either of the semifinals:

• There were ten shots apiece (five on goal);
  • The quality of the refereeing was fair and incontroversial (mostly!)
  • The final did not come down to a penalty shootout.

I suppose that at least, for Brazil, they can sleep just a bit easier knowing that their humiliation came at the hands of the best team in the tournament, and that their hated rivals did not win a World Cup on their soil.   I mean, seriously--when you have Mario Götze and Andre Schürrle as your substitutes--your substitutes--you know you have some depth to your squad.

Still, watching Messi's expression as he jogged up the stairs to claim his Golden Ball trophy, you could tell that he was completely dejected.  But I suppose that's the nature of World Cup--32 countries enter, but only one can ultimately go home in triumph.

consortium11

Quote from: Remiel on July 13, 2014, 08:00:17 PMI mean, seriously--when you have Mario Götze and Andre Schürrle as your substitutes--your substitutes--you know you have some depth to your squad.

To be fair it doesn't always work that way.

This Spain squad was on paper good enough that the likes of Mata, Fábregas, de Gea, Cazorla and Koke were their subs while the likes of Isco, Negrado, Llorente and Jesus Navas didn't even make the squad. It didn't help them much.

This could be seen more as a case of poor selections rather than depth but the Brazil squad didn't feature Kaka, Ronaldinho, Robinho (all past their best but in somewhat decent form), Coutinho, Lucas Moura, Miranda, Marquinhos, Alexandre Pato or Filipe Luiz.

Becca

People are vandalizing stores and streets downtown here in Argentina... Completely rational reaction to losing, huh???....
*Faceslap*

Dashenka

Good to see a European team win the World Cup. My final two on forehand were Spain and Germany. At least I was half right. :D

Gratz Germany!
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

kylie

I thought that game was much more interesting than some that preceded it.  At least it had a sense of, any outcome was possible.  Argentina had a string of bad luck (or was it, partly selfishness and weaker prep?) early on.  The Germans did well replacing Khedira and then, replacing so many replacements, shrugging off injuries that could be shrugged off in the endgame, and not going ballistic over so many bad tackles.

The Guardian picked on the refereeing a bit cruelly and I suppose some argument could be made.  I wondered a few times whether they were giving firm enough warnings, or should have taken it up a notch.  But at the least, it seems like they attempted to show some restraint and not let a rush of red cards decide the game. 

For a while, it seemed a little dubious if Germany was going to really get the tactics together.  Argentina plays rather well on fast and furious with the ball in the air a lot.  Maybe it's partly a matter of my general preference, but I felt like the Germans did better when they kept it more on the ground and spread things out more.  Both sides packed the center pretty hard and it was one of those games where I found myself groaning a bit about using the wings.  Happens quite often really, but I expected them to pay rather more attention to that.  On the breaks, there were a lot of people getting shut down or trying to make too hasty moves in the dead center area. 

And Neuer still looks very dashing, and has an awesome eye for distances.  He didn't fall for the long ball overhead toward the end, he he challenged the strikers hard enough to make their attempts difficult on quick breaks where time was not on his side, and he only mauled someone more by accident after getting a firm sock at the ball.  I could probably never play goalie myself...  But I'm gonna go join the fan club now.   8-)

Aleph

Well, in my office half the football fans didn't show today (hint: game 64 started at 5am) :)

Interesting thing pointed out to me this morning, technically it's the first German World Cup win in quite a while since West Germany won the last one 18 months before reunification. Yeah, it's hair splitting but I thought it was interesting :) Hell of a goal by Goetze.  Great cross by Schurrrrrrrrrle. Now it's a three week wait until the European leagues kick off and 6 months until the Asian Cup starts in my home town!

TheWizardofOz

Quote from: Aleph on July 14, 2014, 05:57:06 AM
Well, in my office half the football fans didn't show today (hint: game 64 started at 5am) :)

Interesting thing pointed out to me this morning, technically it's the first German World Cup win in quite a while since West Germany won the last one 18 months before reunification. Yeah, it's hair splitting but I thought it was interesting :) Hell of a goal by Goetze.  Great cross by Schurrrrrrrrrle. Now it's a three week wait until the European leagues kick off and 6 months until the Asian Cup starts in my home town!

The Asian Cup should be great. I'm definitely going to try get a ticket to Australia's first match against Kuwait. I live about a 15 minute drive from the stadium! :)

Aleph

Ah nifty, frankly I've no idea who's playing in Melbourne, but I'm happy to get tickets.

Aleph

*sigh* Withdrawal symptoms. I'm working 2-6am tonight and have been idly wondering who's playing at the moment, then remembered there's no games on...

JackWhite

Quote from: Aleph on July 19, 2014, 11:33:51 AM
*sigh* Withdrawal symptoms. I'm working 2-6am tonight and have been idly wondering who's playing at the moment, then remembered there's no games on...
Team competitions are about to start again.