News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup 2014

Started by consortium11, May 12, 2014, 10:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Remiel

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 28, 2014, 02:13:13 PM
Hulk deserved a goal though... it just wasn't his day...

*shakes head* Up to but not including the shoulder... I've seen it a thousand times, and they've talked with a thousand FIFA refs over it, but shouldering the ball does not a handball make...

I'm sorry Deamonbane, but it was a handball.  All of the commentators who saw the slow-motion replay said so.  That was a call that could have gone either way, but it was, ultimately, the right one.  You can see Hulk moving his arm, and the ball hits the inside of his shoulder.  He used his arm to control the ball, hence, it's a handball.

That said, both Brazil and Chile had a few chances to swing the game either way.  But man, what a tense game. 

Deamonbane

Brazilian commentators who saw it thought it caught off of his shoulder... Then again, they aren't exactly unbiased, and neither am I... So I guess you're right.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Deamonbane

Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Kitsunetsuki

OMG! Ochoa is so amazing...

And then they snuck one in...dammit!!!!
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Kitsunetsuki

Ugh...I'm disgusted now *stomach churns*
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Dashenka

Great victory for the Netherlands but what a terrible referee. Robben should have been given two penalty's instead of the one at the end.
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Deamonbane

Awwwww.... despite my hatred for Ochoa, I was hoping he would get to earn the golden glove...

Remiel

Oh man...the third heartbreak game in this World Cup, this time for the Mexicans (the fourth, arguably, if you include Bosnia vs. Nigeria).  First the United States miss out on a guaranteed second-round berth due to a Cristiano Ronaldo cross in the very last minute; then the Ivory Coast are eliminated by a Greek penalty in stoppage time, and now this.  Mexico had the Dutch on the ropes for fifty minutes, and manage to lose it in the last five.  I think the final scoreline was more testament to the Mexican strength than it was to the Dutch weakness.  No one expected Mexico to put up such a strong showing, but they did.  Sorry, El Tri.

Since I didn't record my thoughts on the last two games, I'll do that now.

Brazil vs. Chile

Winner: Brazil, 1-1 (advances on penalty kicks)

My Thoughts: Alexis Sanchez (CHI) played a very solid game.  Hulk (BRA) faltered in the first half, but came out strong in the second, while Neymar seemed to fade into the background.   Fred and Oscar were pretty much invisible.  If I was a Brazilian fan, I'd be worried.  Very worried indeed.

Man of the Match: David Luiz (BRA).  Not for his goal, which was pretty much an own-goal off a Chilean defender, but for his incredible sliding save in the second half, without which Chile would have won this match 2-1.  It also doesn't hurt that Luiz sunk his penalty shot to help Brazil win.

Colombia vs. Uruguay

Winner: Colombia, 2-0

My Thoughts: Did the Uruguayans ever miss Luis Suarez.  Man, did they miss him.  Diego Forlan just couldn't fill his shoes, and the Colombians ran roughshod over their South American rivals, as I predicted they would.

Man of the Match: James Rodriguez (COL).  I told you this kid was special.  Especially with Cuadrado feeding him the ball.

Netherlands vs. Mexico

Winner: Netherlands, 2-1

My Thoughts: What a nailbiter of a game, especially if you're Dutch.  The Mexicans surely feel like they've had the rug pulled out away from under them.  The goal by Wesley Sneijder (NED) was a thing of beauty, and there wasn't a thing on Earth Guillermo Ochoa (MEX) could have done about it.  The foul on Arjen Robben (NED) in the second half which set up the Huntelaar  penalty shot probably shouldn't have been called, but a penalty should have been awarded for the Netherlands in the first half, so I suppose it balances out.

Man of the Match: Wesley Sneijder.

Deamonbane

Quote from: Remiel on June 29, 2014, 03:41:36 PM
If I was a Brazilian fan, I'd be worried.  Very worried indeed.
Oh, believe me, we are plenty worried...

Kitsunetsuki

[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Remiel

Costa Rica vs. Greece

Winner: Costa Rica, 1-1 (advances on penalty kicks)

My Thoughts: I expected this game to be an...unexciting (to use the charitable adjective), highly defensive match, and I wasn't disappointed.  Frankly, I was surprised that either side scored at all.   Still, credit, I suppose, goes to Los Ticos for shutting Greece down for the seventy or so minutes that they were playing with ten men after Oscar Duarte was sent off with his second yellow card, even though it seemed like the entirety of Joel Campbell's (CRC) role was to flop on the pitch, yelling and clutching his knee.  Honestly, it seemed like he spent more time in a horizontal position than a vertical one.   I'm glad for Costa Rica for making it this far, but I don't know how well they will fare against a high-octane Netherlands offense.

Man of the Match: Goalkeeper Keylor Navas (CRC), for being on top of his game and making a couple of excellent saves.

Kitsunetsuki

France & Germany advance (as Remy predicted)! Kind of expected, but I really liked the Germany v Algeria match. It was much tighter than expected. In the end, the German machine could not be stopped. I'm surprised it went into extra time, though. Should be interesting to see who knocks whom out in the next round! (yeah, yeah, Germany most likely...but you never know!)
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Remiel

France vs. Nigeria

Winner: France, 2-0

My Thoughts:  On paper, this was supposed to be a one-sided rout.  In practice, the two teams were (mostly) evenly matched in a game that produced some exciting football.  Nigeria gave France a scare several times, including an early goal that was disallowed on an offside flag.  Goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama (NGA) did a superb job, frustring Benzema on multiple occasions.  In the end, however, it was a couple of set pieces that was Nigeria's undoing, resulting in a masterful header by Paul Pogba and an own goal off of defender Yobo's leg.

Man of the Match: Paul Pogba (FRA).

Lirliel

As a Dutchie I'm more then willing to admit we won the match against Mexico with God's Grace, there wasn't any part in the match, except maybe just after the 0-1 fell for Mexico and they had to adjust to our new system, where the Dutch were better then Mexico.

Still I'm happy we are through to the next round, however I don't agree with you saying Wesley Sneijder was the best player for Holland that goes to Dirk Kuijt who started as Left-back then went to left mid-fielder, then right-back then right-winger then finally Striker. And all the while keeping up in super hot weather and against guys in their twenties where he's in his thirties, kudos for that.
"Jealousy would be far less torturous if we understood that love is a passion entirely unrelated to our merits."

"A minute of perfection was worth the effort. A moment was the most you could ever expect from perfection."

kylie

Catching up in fits and starts, or at least trying to catch some interesting sections...

I saw much of the Germany v. Algeria game that went into overtime.  I hadn't seen much of Germany yet, but they are quite fun to watch.  A young team and certainly more offensive than their earlier reputation.  It's nice to see the fullbacks actually getting involved in the attack plan.  And their goalie had some good long-distance eyes and daring rushes.  Their ball handling was pretty good too...  But they didn't press the offense quite as firmly as I had hoped -- for a team that seems to have all those things going for it. 

I haven't gone back and peeked at the US-Germany game yet, but so far I think I can see why the US still sees a reasonable glimmer of hope.  Perhaps the Germans are more lively, but not so rock solid as some years.  It would probably be tight, though...

Remiel

Quote from: Lirliel on June 30, 2014, 10:14:15 PM
Still I'm happy we are through to the next round, however I don't agree with you saying Wesley Sneijder was the best player for Holland that goes to Dirk Kuijt who started as Left-back then went to left mid-fielder, then right-back then right-winger then finally Striker. And all the while keeping up in super hot weather and against guys in their twenties where he's in his thirties, kudos for that.

Well, goal.com would beg to disagree with you, Lirliel.

Generally my Man of the Match award goes to the player (or in rare cases, official) who I believe made the greatest impact on the ultimate scoreline.  Usually this is the player who actually made the goal, although sometimes it could be the player who made the assist, or even a defender or goalie who denied their opponents the chance to equalize.  It's just my opinion, however, and I do not claim to be a football expert.

Moving on:

Germany vs. Algeria

Winner: Germany, 2-1

My Thoughts:  This was the game where I thought Germany seemed to struggle the most, while Algeria played some very good football.  Their defensive four were a solid wall that Germany could not seem to punch through, while Slimani and Ferghouli brought pressure against the German side again and again.  Thomas Müller played his role very well, but he simply could not seem to find the net as goalkeeper Raïs M'Bolhi always seemed to be in the right place at the right time.  In the end, the Germans (with the aid of substitute Andre Schürrle) simply outlasted the Algerians in extra time, as the North Africans just simply seemed to run out of gas.

Man of the Match: Manuel Neuer (GER), who had to run out of the box a few times to clear the ball when the Algerians got a breakaway.

Remiel

Argentina vs. Switzerland

Winner:  Argentina, 1-0

My Thoughts: Although Argentina advances, they were far from being the better team.  The Swiss, I thought, played a better first half than did the Argentines, although Argentina regained the momentum in the second.  Extra time followed the same template, with Switzerland dominating possession and shots on goal in the first fifteen, and Argentina the second.  All credit goes to Ángel Di María (ARG) for finishing off the pass by Messi, but I have no idea how Blerim Dzemaili (SUI) failed to score at the very end of extra time.  This was a match that could have gone either way, and Argentina should consider itself lucky.

Man of the Match:  I'll give you a hint.  His name starts with "Lionel" and ends with "Messi".

And now, onto US vs. Belgium.  USA! USA! 

Dashenka

Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

Remiel

Halftime Thoughts:

We need to get better at retaining possession.  We NEED to.  I think someone said that the United States was the second worst at possession % this World Cup, and we can't win games if we keep that up.  Look, I know Michael Bradley has been instrumental in qualifying, I know he has the hardest job on the field, but he's no Iniesta.  We need an anchor player, a center midfielder who can set up plays and create opportunities, and I'm sorry, but Bradley is not it.

A bit disappointed with Zusi, but get a load of DeMarcus Beasley.  32 years old and still hauling ass.  I also love DeAndre Yedlin as a replacement for the stricken Fabian Johnson, but I think we need Kyle Beckerman in on defense.   Hazard and De Bruyne are just too deadly coming down the right flank.

Kitsunetsuki

Part of me roots for the American team b/c I really just want them to show up the doubters. But...If they score it's gonna have to be on a counter or a set piece because they lack ball control...D up!!
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Kitsunetsuki

They're making Howard WORK!!! Damn...
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Deamonbane

Quote from: Kitsunetsuki on July 01, 2014, 04:16:06 PM
They're making Howard WORK!!! Damn...
Took the words outta my mouth... Stop doing that...*grins*

Kitsunetsuki

Quote from: Deamonbane on July 01, 2014, 04:27:13 PM
Took the words outta my mouth... Stop doing that...*grins*
haha!! well, you know what they say, "great minds think alike!" ;D

USA really, REALLY needs to pick up their defense! That boy wouldn't have to work so hard, otherwise...
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Remiel

I hate to say it, but Tim Howard is our only world-class player.