News:

Main Menu

FIFA World Cup 2014

Started by consortium11, May 12, 2014, 10:28:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kitsunetsuki

I was telling a co-worker USA should get double points for beating Germany (if they do). I think that's fair :D

Edited to add:
Did you see? They suspended Suarez for 9 matches & he is banned from any football related activity for 4 months! I'm glad, but also surprised (in a good way). Go FIFA!
[tr]
[td]
O.Os~A.As (around but not seeking)
Ideas (up-to-date)
Poetry~Singing~Wiki~Characters
How the men of Elliquiy have ruined me[/td][/tr][/table]

Aiden

I'll be watching also, I'm not a big soccer fan but got to root for Mexico and America. I mostly just been watching their games.

Nico

Aiden

Also, I like watching the games in Spanish. American broadcasting is pretty boring.

CastorTroy

Quietly entertaining game. Michael Bradley is such an intelligent player. I love watching him.
Requests | ONs/OFFsA/As

Current Roleplays: My Crown Jewel | Familial Ties | Daddy’s Out (Completed) |

Remiel

Really? I know he was instrumental in qualifying but it seems like he cannot hold possession.  It's almost to the point where I groan every time he gets the ball (and inevitably gives it away).

Germany started off the game the much stronger opponent, but the US is getting back into it.  They are playing like I wish the US would play--like a chess game: patient, methodical, probing, testing for weakness.

Any doubts about the US and Germany conspiring to throw the game with the 0 - 0 tie can now be safely dispelled.

CastorTroy

Quote from: Remiel on June 26, 2014, 11:51:40 AM
Really? I know he was instrumental in qualifying but it seems like he cannot hold possession.  It's almost to the point where I groan every time he gets the ball (and inevitably gives it away).

Germany started off the game the much stronger opponent, but the US is getting back into it.  They are playing like I wish the US would play--like a chess game: patient, methodical, probing, testing for weakness.

Any doubts about the US and Germany conspiring to throw the game with the 0 - 0 tie can now be safely dispelled.

He's not the type of player technically good enough to control possession from deep. Because USA are playing defensively, he has to get the ball out quickly and accurately (because he has less people to aim for). He can do it better than he's doing it right now, but he's not technically good enough to play the role. In general, good passers who play deep are hard to find in football, even for established nations.

Bradley's best facets are his box-to-box running, his movement and ability to find the right (even if basic) pass. The latter he hasn't done well at this tournament, but usually are at an excellent level. He plays like someone who really understands the game - and he should, given his backstory!

As for the 0-0, it sometimes happens. Would have only been able to judge if it got to, say, 80 minutes and was still 0-0. Sides don't usually intend to play for a draw from the off, situations dictate they have to.
Requests | ONs/OFFsA/As

Dashenka

Even if America loses and Portugal wins with 2-1, they'll still qualify on goal difference right?
Out here in the fields, I fight for my meals and I get my back into my living.

I don't need to fight to prove I'm right and I don't need to be forgiven.

CastorTroy

Yep, basically Ghana must not win.
Requests | ONs/OFFsA/As

Deamonbane

Go USA! Keep Klose from making any more goals!

2 - 1 for Portugal, Cristiano Ronaldo might just have saved USA bacon....
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Kitsunetsuki

Quote from: Aiden on June 26, 2014, 11:36:14 AM
Also, I like watching the games in Spanish. American broadcasting is pretty boring.
I agree, Aiden. Much more lively on the Spanish broadcasts.
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Kitsunetsuki

Germany & USA advance! Yay! :) *makes obscene gestures towards Portugal*
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

desert ashes

USA is going to have to play a lot better to get out of the next round. =/
make me forget
how to breathe

leave me with the
taste of your sin
they will lie about you, insult you, hurt you,
betray you, injure  you, set you aflame and
watch you burn. but they will not, shall not,
c a n n o t, destroy  you. because  you, like
R o m e, were built  on ashes, and you, like
a phoenix, know how to rise and resurrect.
· accepting new stories ·
 ·· · ideas & cravings ·· ons & offs ·· poetry ·· a/a ·· stories · ··

let there be beauty born from ashes

Remiel

Group G.  Germany vs. USA

Winner: Germany, 1-0

What Was At Stake:  Winner gets first place and a first-round berth against a weak Group H runner-up; loser faces potential elimination depending on the results of the Portugal-Ghana game.

The Better Team Was... Germany.  It wasn't pretty, it wasn't absolute, but they got the job done.  I do have to give credit to Omar Gonzales and the US fullbacks.  I do think we have one of the better defenses in this World Cup; if only we could cobble together some kind of a midfield, we'd be a serious contender.

Man of the Match: Thomas Mueller (GER)

It's not the result I was hoping for (I was really hoping for the 0-0 draw) but at least we advance.  I never thought I'd say this, but thank you, Cristiano Ronaldo and Portugal. 

Remiel

Quote from: Moirae on June 26, 2014, 01:04:32 PM
USA is going to have to play a lot better to get out of the next round. =/

I think we will.  Remember that we had to fly more miles than any other team, and especially after playing in Manaus against Portugal--you could see the fatigue start to take effect towards the end of the game.  Also, Germany had one more day to rest and recover than we did.  Honestly, I don't think a 1-0 loss is that bad, although, like I said, I really would have preferred the 0-0 draw.

And especially if Jozy Altidore has recovered and is ready to play by Tuesday, that could mean a huge difference in terms of scoring opportunities.  Cross your fingers.

Kitsunetsuki

I was rather impressed with Omar Gonzalez (USA)...he'll be one to watch.

What was up with Jermaine Jones (USA) spending most of his time on the pitch on his ass??
[tr]
[td]
Ideas (up-to-date)

Remiel

Quote from: Kitsunetsuki on June 26, 2014, 01:28:59 PM
I was rather impressed with Omar Gonzalez (USA)...he'll be one to watch.

Agreed.  I hope he starts the next game.

Dashenka

CastorTroy

Oh Russia. Capello is so defensive, not suited to international football at all.
Requests | ONs/OFFsA/As

Remiel

Group H.  Algeria vs. Russia

Winner: Tie, 1-1. 

What Was At Stake:  Winner advances; loser is eliminated.  Algeria moves on in case of a tie (which was the case).

The Better Team Was... Both teams played well.  I thought Russia played the better game in the first half, but Algeria adjusted and came out swinging in the second.

Man of the Match: Sofiane Feghouli (ALG), whose constant passing and playmaking kept the Algerians on the offensive. 

I was happy to see the return of Kerzhakhov, but his presence on the field seemed limited.  I do admit rooting for the Russians, but alas, it was not to be.  Sorry, Dashenka. :(

Remiel

And now it's time for...

REMIEL's WORLD CUP PREDICTIONS

Round of 16

Brazil vs. Chile: Brazil, 2-1.  The Chileans are talented, but Neymar and the Brazilians prove to be just a little bit too much to handle.

Colombia vs. Uruguay: Colombia, 3-0. The Colombians are on fire, and with Luis Suarez now banned from the rest of the World Cup, the Uruguayans will be in complete disarray.

Netherlands vs. Mexico: Netherlands, 2-0.  I love the heart and the fire of the feisty Mexicans, but the Netherlands are an unbeatable two-headed monster with Robben and Van Persie.

Costa Rica vs. Greece: Costa Rica, 1-0. The Costa Ricans' fairy tale continues as they get one past the swarthy, bearded men of Greece.

France vs. Nigeria: France, 4-1. Karim Benzema is back on form as Les Bleus eliminate the Super Eagles.

Germany vs. Algeria: Germany, 3-0. Philipp Lahm and Germany continue their systematic dissection of their foes.

Argentina vs. Switzerland: Argentina, 2-1. Xherdan Shaqiri leads a high-powered Swiss attack, but is outmaneuvered by Argentina and the "Little Magician".

Belgium vs. United States: US, 1-0. A rested, rejuvenated US team pulls off the upset against a talented but undisciplined Belgium.  Go USA!

Quarterfinals

Brazil vs. Colombia:  Colombia, 3-2.  I believe that Colombia will upset the host nation (although I hope it doesn't happen, and I'll be cheering for Brazil).   Why?  Two words: James (pronounced HA-mehz ) Rodriguez.  If you have any doubt, this is all that you need to know.  However, I believe that Brazil comes back in 2018 and wins the whole thing.

France vs. Germany: Germany, on penalty kicks.  Flair and passion meet clinical excellence in this physical match between European powers.  In the end, Germany get it done, as they always do.

Netherlands vs. Costa Rica: Netherlands, 4-1.  The Ticos' journey ends here, as the Men in Orange simply have too much talent to be denied.

Argentina vs. United States: Argentina, 1-0.  The game nearly ends in a 0-0 draw until--you guessed it--Lionel Messi rockets one home in extra time.

Semifinals:

Colombia vs. Germany: Germany, 2-1.  Jogi Löw doesn't know the word for "defeat".  Oh, wait, yes he does.  It means "something that happens to other people."

Netherlands vs. Argentina: Netherlands, 4-3 The "Little Magician" finally runs out of magic tricks in this high-scoring affair.

World Cup Final:

Germany vs. Netherlands: Netherlands, 2-1.  This is finally the Year of the Dutch.  Arjen Robben gets the Golden Ball while Van Persie gets the Golden Boot for most goals in a World Cup tournament.

TheWizardofOz

I don't know about that last one, Belgium have a very talented squad. They've won by slim margins and I reckon they'll do the same against the US. 2-1 Belgium I think.

Deamonbane

I have every certainty that Brazil has the talent and the skill to pass Colombia in the quarter finals (To those who don't I refer you to how Brazil played in the confederations Cup), but they just seem so.... I don't know what the word is. Tired? Uninspired? Their two wins up till now have been carried on the back of Neymar, and if he's injured, hell if he gets another yellow card, they don't have him anymore, and then what?

So, I am certain Brazil will get at least to the semis, but not enough to contradict Rem's prediction.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Dashenka

Russia had a very old squad. Nobody really expected anything from them. Yet still disappointed.

Dotley

Quote from: Remiel on June 26, 2014, 07:06:39 PM
Costa Rica vs. Greece: Costa Rica, 1-0. The Costa Ricans' fairy tale continues as they get one past the swarthy, bearded men of Greece.

I support this prediction. Vamos Ticos!  :-)
O&O's || A&A's

"I don’t use people for stories.
I use stories to express my feelings for people."