News:

Main Menu

Make your video game!

Started by Inkidu, November 09, 2010, 04:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Nope all discussion of whether or not Dark Souls has a distinct story at all. This is just not what this thread is for. Go dig up the Dark Souls thread for that. This is about making video games. If Sabby thinks that the story of his game resembles Doki Doki Panic more than Dark Souls that's his prerogative. This is not about arguing the points of a theoretical game.

I don't like stepping in on my threads like this, but I'm not going to have this devolve into "People not getting Dark Souls" thread. So let's just avoid all argument about whether or not it resembles A or B because the ultimate decision is the person who designed the "game". 
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

TotesRider

Boy I feel weird reading this... everyone has cool ideas for big massive RPGs and such and... But I wanna make fighting games, beat em ups and simple stuff <~<

Aaaanywho. one of my ideas is something similar to games like Power Stone. And as such has a more simpler story.

The setting takes place in a massive island that holds a tournament every few years for the chance of a massive cash prize and a bizarre treasure said to grant immense power.

Fights take place in arenas of varying size and shapes. Along with random pick ups (health, sub weapons, etc), each stage has unique environmental interactions, from using walls to jump off of, poles to either swing from or to pick up (if you're a big character).
The actual combat uses a combination of light and heavy attacks, a grapple button, jumping and holding shoulder buttons to access special moves. Around the arena, small orbs will appear filling up a gauge that allows characters to access 'Burst', a powered up version of the character with enhanced special attacks and 'Burst Busters' which is pretty much their big cinematic style special attack.
Another feature could be Tag Team, this could even have a Marvel vs style 'Assist Type' and so on.

Now for characters, here's what I have so far

Arno
Race: Human
A young fist fighter who despite apparently having no special powers, his punches hit like a tank. His Burst mode makes his specials come out way quicker and his Burst Buster would involve a massive flurry of punches.

Zakka
Race: Zombie
A bizarre undead with a consciousness. His goal is to gain the power to lift a curse that has kept him from finally passing on. His gameplay revolves around the use of his hooks to reel in opponents and can even hook and grab objects from a distance. His Burst Mode modifies his play style by replacing his hooks with a large chainsaw. His Burst Buster would involve wrapping his chains around the opponent and tossing them about the stage.

Mikey
An old but still well built adventurer. He had quit his days as an adventurer when he was put in charge of raising his grand-daughter Luka. However the allure of the tournament proved too powerful. His gameplay revolves around getting up close and personal. His Burst mode would involve him being able to quickly cancel any special move into a normal attack and his Burst Buster would act as a counter move.

Keira and Gao
Race: Dino-Human and Dinosaur
A young wild girl who belongs to a tribe of dinosaur like people. After her and her pet dinosaur (a mixture of raptor and triceratops is what I imagine for some reason) get lost, they wind up fighting in the tournament. The two fight in tandem, Gao using his sharp horns, teeth and claws while Keira can pelt the opponent with rocks from her sling shot. Their Burst Mode would make Keira's shots more powerful while the Burst Buster would involve Gao unleashing a large ball of flame.

Sylvie
Race: Android
An android who was created by a kind and genius inventor. The android spent her life happily as a robotic maid to her creator... until he one day fell mysteriously ill. After several failed attempts to treat him, she joins  the tournament to use the prize to cure her master. Her gameplay revolves around the use of several artillery like weapons at her disposal and a powerful set of Pile Bunkers in her arms. Not sure what Burst Mode would be like but I could see her Burst Buster pretty much unloading all of her weapons at once before firing a powerful beam cannon.

ShiShi-Oh
A warrior from a far away land. With a rather lion like appearance, he enters the tournament mostly to seek glory and fame. Problem is, he has a tendency to annoy others with his 'Pro-Wrestler' style mannerisms and his tendency to shout his words. His gameplay would revolve around Chain grabs and loud roars to "hype" the crowd. His Burst mode allows him to perform new special attacks from wall jumps and his Burst Buster would involve a rather stylish power bomb.

TotesRider

And I guess some other things I would do are mostly my attempts at franchises I love. For example i'd love to bring Twisted Metal back

Mathim

Quote from: TotesRider on April 12, 2016, 08:45:09 PM
And I guess some other things I would do are mostly my attempts at franchises I love. For example i'd love to bring Twisted Metal back

You don't hear a lot about car combat games nowadays...or at least I don't.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TotesRider

One came out not too long ago on PSN... but it's pretty much garbage

Mathim

Tragic! If they do make another one, I'd like it to include a feature like that of Mario Kart Double Dash, in that two people control the vehicle, with one driving and steering, and the other aiming and firing.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

TotesRider

Considering some of the animations in the 2012 Twisted Metal that'd be cool. My idea of a multiplayer car combat is something kinda like Mad Max. One team protects a large tanker semi while another team tries to steal or destroy it. Players jumping from car to car, so on and so forth. And maybe something like each team has a 'Super Vehicle' that they can use once a meter has been filled or something?

Oniya

For those who actually code, the 35th Ludum Dare starts on the 15th.  The basic concept is that you code a game in 48 hours based on a given 'challenge' topic.  (Both Pony Island and Evoland were originally Ludum Dare entries that were later polished up for market releases.)

Official Site
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Zekromnomnom

I have a very bare bones idea and it's basically an homage to one of my favorite video game characters, that being Frog from Chrono Trigger, who for those of you who don't know, is a knight that was turned into an anthropomorphic frog by an evil mage.

The idea would kind of be the reverse of that. It would be a very fairy tale esque story of a frog that lived in a pond that this princess would often go to to relax. She would feed the geese and pick flowers or whatever the hell girls do, but she would also sometimes read. Or maybe if she were younger, she would be read to. Anyway, the book is about a knight who goes on a noble quest to save a princess and it has these neat hand painted illustrations and the frog would sit and listen to the story and look at the pictures. Then, one day when the young princess, I think I like her being like a little girl of maybe ten, comes to the pond alone, she gets kidnapped by goblins working for the evil wizard or something. I dunno. Anyway, the frog is the only one who sees it, so he sets off to rescue her. But, you know, he's a frog.

I figure the actual gameplay would be sidescroller style and starting out, the frog can jump on some enemies, but most are too dangerous or two big. But maybe with the intervention of a fairy godmother or something, or maybe there was magic in the book th little girl had and she's tearing up pieces of it to leave a trail, and maybe when you find them as the frog, the magic of it turns you into a knight. Still a frog, but like a frog knight. And then the gameplay would change quite a bit. I'm thinking as the frog the game is a little more Mario, but as the knight, the game gets a little more Castlevania or something. You suddenly have a lot more options and are actually a threat to the enemy.

I don't really know how I would balance the parts to make it not annoying, but I think it might be kind of fun.

Mardeep

The game idea I've been toying with for a few months now is a fantasy city builder. Imagine Sim city crossed with Majesty.

You would start of with just a few settlers in the wilderness and a stack of supplies. The basic unit would be the house, each house would consume resources and produce other resources. They would have skills, with more difficult skills allow them to produce more advanced goods. Each house would also have political opinions, this determines which groups they join. The happiness of households is determined by the resources they get to consume and if their political policies are being implemented. Happy houses will obey the law and support you while unhappy ones will riot and try to depose you. As well as normal households other buildings like schools, barracks and temples will be treated as houses as well. 

You start by clearing land and planting crops to feed your people. Then move on to cutting trees to make houses so your people don't have to keep living in tents. At this stage to get more supplies you would need to sell food or wood back to the city you came from, they give you terrible prices to encourage you to get production up and running. Production works by building places where people can work, blacksmiths, farms, mage towers, temples these buildings will allow workers with the right skill to work their, if a person with that skill is working at a lower skilled job they will move to it, eg farmer to carpenter, if you don't have any people with the right skill wait awhile and one will arrive.

Mardeep

Quote from: Mardeep on May 11, 2016, 12:37:22 AM
The game idea I've been toying with for a few months now is a fantasy city builder. Imagine Sim city crossed with Majesty.

Once you get to the mid game you need to start doing normal city things, building roads, public buildings, law enforcement. While you can't go out and conquer, it's not a strategy game, you might be attacked so you need build walls and either pay for a defense force or make laws requiring people to train as part of a milita. 

The law system would work differently depending on what the government system is, under a tyranny you can set laws however you want. In a republic you need to have your laws approved by a vote. Laws also allow different races, such as elves or dwarves, to live in your city or evil religion. Each of these groups will be very happy to be allowed to live in your city, meaning that you can either tax them harsher or have their support as a political block. However they will try to become a majority in your city, which will upset your existing citizens.

TotesRider

Here's an idea i've been toying with.

A Kaiju themed fighting game using next gen technology. Very detailed monster models with visual damage (similar to MK9 and MKX). But the main draw is the destruction. Basically the idea is that every single stage can be reduced to a crater through your fighting.
The cast will be half 'The usual types' (the Godzilla, the King Kong etc etc etc) along with some original concepts.

For Single Player modes
Arcade
Your usual 'Fight a series of Opponents' type deal with character endings.

Smashathon
The 'Time Waster' mode. Basically you pick a monster and get dropped into a randomly generated map that'll spawn random assets with the goal of 'smash EVERYTHING'. Also power ups will spawn to help you earn more points (infinite meters, a timed nuclear explosion, etc). And now and then other monsters and bosses will spawn in to fight you. Of course this mode will have it's own rewards to unlock.

AKDF Mode
Pretty much the 'Campaign'. The idea is that this is something that never ends and you can keep going for as long as you want. Inspired by the Xcom series and the movie Pacific Rim, you take on the role of a commander for the Anti Kaiju Defense Force. Your mission is to provide the first line of defense against Kaijus. In this mode you'll construct a mecha to go out and fight Kaiju in and that you can take into other modes and online multiplayer. Another idea could be 'Scenarios'. Along with the regular continual missions, you can take on 'Scenarios' which are basically mini-stories involving certain monsters you can fight or possibly 'tame' or team up with the other Mecha themed characters in the cast.

Multiplayer
1v1
1v1v1v1
1v1v1v1v1v1v1v1
2v2
4v4

Co-Op Modes
2-3v1: In this mode two or three players will team up against another player who'll be using a high powered version of a monster. Basically think of those old Kaiju movies where two monsters team up against the one big baddie
2 v AI
Co-Op Smashathon

drummer2006jk

This sounds like a cool idea, writing up what kind of video game you would make. Hmm, I may put something down once I think of what the game would be like. Does it have to be original in scenario, ideas, and such? Or is it okay if it sounds like something that's already been done in video games?