John Stewart's Rally to Restore Sanity

Started by Vekseid, September 19, 2010, 02:38:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wolfy

Lol...Obama actually mentioned the Rally to Restore Sanity. :D He knows!

Vekseid

Of course he does. He's been on Stewart's show.

The One Nation Working Together march is also tomorrow.

zoarster

I'm debating going to this... but having attempted the Obama inauguration only to find out that (even though I had a ticket) there was no space and having to run back on the Metro to a bar to watch the actual ceremony, I'm leary of crowds on the Mall...

TheVillain

Go. Had real life attack me, now I'm too broke to go.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Wolfy

it's now "The Rally to Restore Sanity and/Or Fear."

And it's going to be live in 2 hours. :D Anyone else going to be watching?

TheVillain

Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Wolfy

Quote from: TheVillain on October 30, 2010, 09:55:43 AM
Might be, I'm kind of broke and sad. ;P

:P It's going to be on Comedy Central..so..you can be there in spirit! xD

Aiden

Wolfy

Quote from: Aiden on October 30, 2010, 12:30:24 PM
I'm watching it now

First Cat Stevens, then Ozzy, then the Ojays....God I wish I could be there live! D:

Aiden

I'm guesing it started at 10am pst?

I just caught ozzy finishing up, just woke up from a med induced coma.

Wolfy

Quote from: Aiden on October 30, 2010, 12:36:24 PM
I'm guesing it started at 10am pst?

I just caught ozzy finishing up, just woke up from a med induced coma.

It started at 11 for me..so I guess. O-o...*shrugs* I'm in central time, soo...

TheVillain

Estimate Size: 150,000 - 215,000. Good show moderates!

Vekseid

It seems the signs were funnier and more poignant than Stewart.

One of my favorites.

Synecdoche17

A book, a woman, and a flask of wine: /The three make heaven for me; it may be thine / Is some sour place of singing cold and bare — / But then, I never said thy heaven was mine.

Ons & Offs, Stories in Progress, and Story Ideas
Absences and Apologies

Noelle

Oniya

Oh - Beck had a competing rally?  *honestly hadn't heard*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Noelle

Glenn Beck had the original rally that this one parodied. He did a Rally to Restore Honor, which was mostly just right-wing blah blah from everyone's favorite fringe idiot. In response, Stewart and Colbert got together and did a joint rally to call for moderate Americans.

TheVillain

End of August. He called it a "Rally to Restore Honor".

Basically it was a rally of Christian Conservatives pretending to be / who thought they were Libertarians.

Oniya

Ah - so they weren't simultaneous.  *is enlightened*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

dominomask

So me and my sister took the baby and tried to get into the city for the rally.  We didn't make it, but it was a good trip all the same.

Just going out to the metro, and waiting over an hour to try and get on the train, and finally deciding to call it a miss and go home because even the trains going the OTHER direction full of people trying to go to the first station on the line and get on an empty train were becoming as crammed as the trains heading toward the mall...honestly, it was a lot of fun.  Everyone was in a good mood, everyone seemed really excited to be around other people who were tired of the shrilling and sensationalism.  It can feel so lonely to try and be reasonable when it seems like everyone around you is addicted to falsely heightened contention and conversational "winning", of ideals turned into sports teams.

And there were so many of us that easily a few thousand people turned away at the metro station like we did, and the same thing was happening at a few dozen metro stations around the district...I'm still sort of in shock from the concrete realization of just how not-alone I am in wanting real conversations to be more commonplace.

;D ;D ;D

Laughing Man

I was there. Got a decent space in the crowd, too. I was one of five Waldos (the one without the pom-pom on his hat, lack of planning FTL XD)

I love Jon Stewart. He's the only figure in the political arena that I have complete and legitimate respect for; he's the only one IMO who's close enough to the center to not see red (or blue, as it were) when he talks. It was one hell of an event. If you weren't there or didn't catch it on the TV, you can hear his ending speech here, which I think is the best part of the entire thing. It's short but amazing.

This is what America needs. Jon Stewart has the right idea.

Also, Stephen Colbert was hilarious. ^^

Lyell

This just in, moderates outnumber radicals! Story at 11.

If you weren't expecting numbers like that I really am at a loss for words.

Also, John's speech was beautiful.
When you absolutely, positively have to kill it with fire...accept no substitutes.

Tree

I'm wondering if a comedian is the best person to restore the sanity
All that is necessary for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

TheVillain

When the rest of the mainstream media is a fucking joke as well, why not?

Avis habilis

Comes a time when the court jester is the only one left who can speak the truth.