Something Wicked (Seeking Literate, Descriptive Players!)

Started by Malrunar, August 14, 2010, 05:39:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malrunar

I have to say, it’s been a long while since I’ve been able to enjoy an in-depth, creative group role play that housed some fun and literate players. I’m going to try my best to see if I can get one started, so consider this the introduction for such a future story! I’m looking for those types of players who write in full paragraphs and have a good handle on grammar, those who prefer the pull of a story rather than focusing on primal, simple rutting and enjoy the twists and turns of a good plot. (Contribution to said twists and turns are appreciated!) However, sex is still welcomed because after all, it’s just so much fun. ;)

Please no one lining or three-sentenced replies! I write in multiple paragraphs on average and would very much like to see the same. I understand that it’s difficult when dialog is shared between characters so there is that exception. Details and description are encouraged! Tantalize the senses and put us in the characters place, tell us what they’re thinking and feeling. Creating the mood, whatever the scene, just makes it all better.

For those who voice an interest please note that I intend to reread a few of your previous posts to get a feel for your writing. I hope that doesn't come off as arrogant or rude, but I hate to be disappointed when it comes to writing, I've always found it difficult to enjoy a story when you're trying to make sense of the errors or to fill in all the blanks.

Annnd now that that boring (but mandatory!) bit is out of the way: onto the plot!

This will be a modern-fantasy setting. Think New York City with some supernatural elements. Vampires, shifters and those capable of magic exist but to the humans they might as well remain as nothing more than fairy tales. Because of this and in order to keep a balance, there are those known as the Enforcers who act like any Detective or Police unit would, making it their duty to keep the Secret, to control those who wish to break it and cleaning up the mess that occasionally spills out on the street. It’s not an easy job, this position often holds respect but, just like every society, there are those who have higher ideals that wish for nothing more than to cause their own chaos and destruction. (It’s not so much that they think they’re better, or the cliché of humans only being cattle, but in order to form any sort of harmony they must be exposed. Even knowing that, if that were the case, then the next hundred years will bring a full-out war between the races and people until dominance or union was formed. History shows that past attempts had failed. Pompeii is an example, as well as the Salem Witch Trials and a number of historical tragedies. )

That gives us the other side of the coin, those who wish the exposure. The Enforcers often come head to head with these individuals. (Often called Tourniquets for their patchy ‘solutions’ and how, in the end of things, someone always seems to end up dead. This term is a bit dated, when compared to modern medicine, but it’s lasted throughout the centuries and stuck,) When it comes down to it they’re just individuals with a different political view point. The Tourniquets often pull stunts like live ‘demonstrations’ that bring attention to any of the races, building curiosity and intrigue in the humans. Side shows, extreme stunts, special ‘clubs’ or even violent acts such as mass murder to bring focus from the media. It varies on the individual/group organizing the event but the purpose in the end is the same.

The waging wars on both sides have been going on for centuries, long enough so even the eldest of Vampires can hardly remember a time when things were different. So it seemed out of the blue that a third group calling themselves the “Heathens” springs up out of the dark and begins to ruin everything within a matter of days. Demons have been released into the streets, first attacking the leading, supportive pillars of both groups before they begin to work on innocent bystanders. Setting aside their personal differences (even though there are still bitter words traded) the two sides unite in order to control this third group, and hope to put it out of existence.

Rules of the Races:

To keep things a little organized, I’ve made a few rules to be followed when selecting one race or another to be played. If you have any questions or suggestions I’m all for hearing them. :) If there is race not listed here that you have interest in I'm willing to see what you have to offer.

Vampires:
I like to break away from such horrible examples such as Twilight for this class. Bram got it right when he created Dracula and that’s what I like to base them off of. Vampires are dark, brooding and menacing in nature, the sort of creature you do NOT want to cross. The older vampires are able to survive in the sunlight, though it’s often uncomfortable around the first few hours of morning, so often they’re seen wearing sunglasses to fight the glare at their sensitive eyes. They have heightened senses, incredible speed, endurance as well as strength. Crosses, holy water, garlic, etc are all fictional jokes created by the Lycans as a practical joke. They’re myth. The only true way to kill a vampire is to stab it in the heart (which paralyzes them) and then removing their head. Also; fire does the trick, 90% of the time, but those older bastards tend to be a little tricky.

They need blood nightly, though not in high quantities. Their bite often gives a sensation of pleasure (or pain, depending on the owner of the Fangs and their intentions.) and can be healed quickly to the traces of a hicky due to their saliva. Regeneration is natural, but the less blood the creature has the slower it is. They cannot change into bats, but it’s known for some of the older families to have special additional abilities that have adapted over the years.

Shifters:
Lycans, Ursuthrope, werepanthers, wererats, etc. There are a large variety of these creatures, as harmless as the swans, to the deadly wolves. Hollywood has shown these creatures as animalistic, primitive and lacking in intelligence, which was the Vampire’s way of repaying the shifters for their own practical jokes in making vampires looking as fragile as a newborn in the presence of an herb.

The full moon is also a myth. Shifters are capable of changing from animal to human form by will; however it’s a painful (although quick) process. Since this is a virus passed from family bloodline, the more powerful of a family you have, the better control you have over shifting. Senses are heightened, and while you may not be as fast as a vampire you’re stronger. Shifters tend to stick together in packs even if they’re not all of the same species, finding safety and security in large numbers. Like Vampires they are able to regenerate, but they need warm body temperatures and a good, long sleep in order to recover from extreme injuries. Silver DOES harm the shifters, but only over extended periods of time. In order to kill a shifter, you have to remove its head, crush them, burn them or sever the spine.

Magic Users:
They are a rare breed who often dies at a young age, unable to control the magic or endure the strain it puts on a body. All magic users are a ‘witch’ by definition, using the elements around them rather than reading scrolls or even using magical devices to harness the energies. (Even though such things exist and the more powerful magic user tends to use a wand as a focus.) Each witch has an element they specialize in (Earth, Wind, Water and Fire) but a few have been able to harness other elements such as electricity, spirit and nature. Familiars are used, though their use is often questionable, since it never seems like they give the magic users anything more than companionship.

A bullet to the brain will kill a magic user, if of course, you’re capable of breaking down any magical shields they may have on them. Holy objects don’t affect them, even if they’re cast out by the Catholic religion. (Since some magic users are known to dabble into the darker arts, including spirit walking, summoning and ritual practices that require blood.) Salt water (The same salinity as the ocean) can render a magic user helpless, as well as dispel some devises, (where certain blood is required to dispel others). They age slowly, just like a vampire, and so a young, thirty something male could really be in his late two hundreds.

Demons:
These are the guys giving everyone trouble, and since there are such a wide variety of demons (from a higher class of ghost all the way up to Incubus/Succubus and Devils) it’s a little overwhelming to give them all a description. (Also because I like to give creativity to the writers and its fun to see what other people are able to conjure up.) These are creatures born from violence and nightmares, feeding off of emotions and energies like a Liche and strive in the dark. From sundown to sunrise, demons are able to walk the world of the living in freedom, unless banished from their summoner or finish the task they were given for their freedom. Since their summoner isn’t known, their restrictions and movements can’t be guessed, so at this point it’s very much like a hostile takeover.

Demons cannot enter a church or a building on sacred ground. Holy water burns them like acid, and versus from the bible can cause them to recoil, but the effects of these are more dramatic on the weaker species. Knowing a demon’s name gives you power over the demon (where a magic user is then capable of banishing them completely) however the same is to be true in reverse with the stronger demons, and knowing your true name can place you under their powers for the duration of the summons. (Meaning, if they get your name, they’re able to control you until sunrise, when they’re automatically banished.) Demons cannot cross a witch’s circle unless invited. (Or if the circle is destroyed from the inside, which can mean something as little as a watch beeping the time, since the signal of the watch sends a signal outside of the circle, or a better example would be if there are pipes running underground, just below the circle, it’s not considered full since there are obstructions.)

Malrunar

Name: Io (Pronounced Eye-Oh) Frasier

Age: Appears to be in her early-mid twenties, actual age is 64

Height: 5’4

Weight: About 135 pounds

Appearance (A picture does not have to be included!):

Info: Io Frasier was born in the Scottish highlands of Inverness. She came from a small village that was mostly remote, known for their small smoke cloud in the winters but little else. Her mother died from complications in a second child birth when Io was two years old (as well as the child) and her father was killed a few years later in an automobile accident. With no other family to take her in and knowing that she had magic in her blood, the Council, the collective group of magic users in Europe, took Io in and introduced her into their world at a young age.

She was raised with those who had abhorred breaking the Secret, and so during her upbringing Io was taught the reasons why you kept the secret safe and the repercussions of destroying it. Magic slowly trickled in for her, nothing noteworthy at first, but by the time that she hit puberty and was still showing signs of ‘filling in’ it became apparent that she was going to be much more. From Scotland she moved to France and took classes in Paris, before she was transferred to London to further her education. By Io’s twentieth year she outclassed her instructors and had even more to learn, which sent her to South America for a few months, and eventually into America.

By this point she was retaining steady control over her abilities and was still growing in power, quickly becoming one of the most powerful witches of this age; and capable of using it without deadly repercussions.

When she was granted access to go about with her life, now no longer seen as a danger from society, Io became an Enforcer, working in Europe for nearly twenty years before she further advanced and went into the Americas. New York City is home now, though she’s still fairly new to it, and building enough of a name for herself over these years that her name is just as powerful as her spells.

Io herself is something of a soft spoken woman but in no means insecure or shy. She’s got a bit of a tongue on her when she’s angry and enjoys the thrill of her hunts, even if she’s placed in dangerous situations that often end up putting her in harm’s way. As far as she’s concerned, being an Enforcer is what she was born to do, and while her skills allow her to move up in the political channels of the magic world, Io tends to stray away from the politics and stay where the action is. She a familiar in the form of a ferret named Frank (Her own Joke, since her favorite TV show happens to be M*A*S*H and Frank Burns was always called Ferret Face…) Frank has been her familiar for nearly eight years, and is something of a curious kleptomaniac who likes to horde all things shiny. Electricity and Fire are her main elements, but as a practicing earth witch, Io tends to mix up her talents to create potent ‘cocktails’ for her query.

Frank:

TheVillain

Heh, had a pair of ideas that I think you'll dig.

----------------

Name: The Library
Age: Unknown, believed to have been 'born' no later then somewhere around the 3rd century BC.
Height: Unknown, believed to be effectively infinite.
Weight: Unknown, believed to be effectively infinite.
Appearance: One could say The Library is the mother of all libraries but this is a lie- it IS all of the world's libraries and more. From someone on the inside it appears to be a library that seems to go on literally forever. The architecture changes every so often to different styles and times of various areas and languages but all of them contains rows and shelves of books.
Info: Believed to be one of the most powerful beings in existence, The Library is one of the grandest parts of the Secret. There's no such thing as just small libraries. Mystically speaking, there is only one Library- they're all one being interconnected through a multidimensional space. It just knows how to keep a secret like the best of them.

This being of elder-god proportions, while appearing to be merely a very, very large library, has been confirmed to be very much alive if subtle. Believed to have somewhere within it a record of every single book or magazine or article ever written by a sentient being in every facet of existence, the Library is careful and picky. It tantalizes with knowledge, only to yank it away at the slightest provocation for those it doesn't trust. It does seem to prefer 'the Secret' way of doing things but only slightly, really as long as it gets new books and information on a steady basis it's fine any direction the conflict plays out.

Besides acquiring all knowledge it does seem to want to teach lesser beings knowledge, but it tests such beings constantly and can revoke access with incredibly fast swings. It wants to teach you, but only if it's sure you are ready for the information. When going for the "Special Knowledge" section, some people come back with secrets that have been gone for centuries- and others never come back at all.

----------------

Name: The Librarian
Age: Unknown, believed to be thousands of years old but physically looks to be somewhere in his late 20's to early 30's at any given moment.
Height: Varies, usually between 5'1" and 6'4"
Weight: Varies, though never outside human possible.
Appearance: Varies, though always seen as a very handsome man.
Info: Usually the Librarian seems quiet and dedicated to his work, taking different forms for different people. Physically the fact that he always looks like a handsome man somewhere in his late 20's to early 30's is usually the only thing people can agree on.

Mystical beings however know more about his story. From snippets gathered over the centuries it's believed that The Librarian was at one point an Incubus. Knowing the true nature of the Library, he attempted to use it's sub-dimensional spaces to feast on women all over existence in planes of being all over the cosmos. This however did not please the Library. Trapped within it's walls, whatever The Library did to the demon changed him utterly. Physically he's still an Incubus but mentally he's something else. Something along the lines of The Library's head priest, he acts as the face and voice of The Library.

This has proven to be a surprisingly wise choice as The Librarian has kept many of his abilities. He can change form to look like the "ideal man" of the onlooker, can speak every language, is supernaturally charismatic, and as long as he is allowed to feed on the life energy of a young woman through sexual intercourse on a regular basis he can work for the Library constantly without any need for food, water, or sleep. And even then The Library forces strict rules on the Librarian when he feeds- he's never allowed to take more then he needs to survive or harm the woman he's feeding from for example. Only seen outside The Library on Library business or the occasional feeding, this dedicated servant seems to be playing all sides of the conflict for the benefit of The Library.

Or is he in it for himself? Some small part of him wanting his freedom back? Only The Library and the Librarian know for sure and they aren't telling, for now.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

Malrunar

You know, those actually sound rather interesting, I do like that element. Normally I would see these things as more of a 'side character', so I'd like to know what you had in mind, plot wise. If the Librarian were to be considered a Neutral party (as I'm sure that both sides would refer to them as) then what do you see as his interaction/reaction to this situation to be. Rumors (if they exist) of his origins being Incubus might cause doubt and angst in his direction, since that's one of the very things that the Others are up against. How is he going to show/present himself to the group? Anything, scene wise, in mind?

TheVillain

First, the Library considers this to be a three sided conflict- the Heathens showing just as much potential for being manipulated. And the Library is an incredible source of knowledge- every single thing anyone in any plane of existence has ever written and gotten published is said to be in it's shelves, possibly every single thing anyone in any plane of existence has ever written down.

So when The Librarian shows up and says something like "The Library has a few books that may be of interest to you", I imagine that anyone involved would sit up and listen.

As for what they're going for, The Library wants knowledge- maybe it's collection isn't as complete as advertised and some particularly rare books are desired. The Librarian wants to serve the Library but may also be looking for ways to free himself. Especially now with his "brothers and sisters" stirring shit. Always that little part of him going for something- feeling hair and giving off scents of tantalization when he isn't supposed to be and the like.

Plus, I imagine that a battle of a raiding party versus the Library and the Librarian, one a being on par with an elder god and the other having had access to books about fighting techniques and magical treatises from beings long forgotten, would be hella bad-ass.

Added:- As for his Incubus nature, I imagine any sort of identification spell spots it- but spots he's something else too. Drama ensues.
My O/O's / My A/A's / My Ideas
Update - Apologies to all my partners, real life is exploding and I've gotten far behind.

bigwad73

How would you feel about my playing a Demon who's turned sides, or rather, who's decided that he no longer wants to be a part of the battle.  He's instead completed the task he was summoned for, and now is a permanent resident of Earth, sort of hiring out as an expert on demons to the Enforcers.  He survives turning against his kind because, a) demons aren't very organized, to be honest, b) some fairly powerful demon lords owe him favors, which means that their minions don't go after him, and c) he's fairly powerful, both magically (charm and illusion magic, mostly), and physically.

I'll finish the write up, if you find this acceptable, Yggdrasil?
Bad puns!  Horrible jokes!  Odd SF and Fantasy references!  Mastery of useless information!  Expert in old TV shows and movies!  And yes, I'm "mature"!    Ons and Offs   And more    Interests   NEW As and As as of 5/12/16. Look here!!!!

PeacethatPowerbrings

Name: Ka Silvs (Pronounced "K - Sillwuss" known as Ka.)

Age: Unknown, current appearence is at least 5 300 years old.

Height: 6'0 (human  world, without armor)

Weight: Variable (Normal form, in human world, approximately 120 pounds)

Appearance:

(Human Form) 

(Armored Form)

Info: A demon of extreme power, Silvs is a combination of several demon forms, and serves a very specific function. Unarmored, she is a beautiful, if enigmatic demoness, basically human in appearence. However, her armored form, more well suited to her true task, is as fearsome as any demon warrior. It is posulated that her armor might be a demon in its own right, as it doesn't seem to act like a physical object appearing and disappearing when she wishes it to. Inside of the armor, she is not directly manipulating it physically, as she doesn't actually fit it, instead it becomes a sort of extension of her body, floating around her in a solid suit.

Silvs is the demon wielder of a huge demon blade, which gives her most of her power in her own realm. The blade itself, like her armor is only with her when she wishes it to be. In the demon realm, she is massively large, and impossibly powerful, however, given the necessity of her being summoned, her power is limited in her transition, her blade, still six-foot long and a foot wide appears broken, as though incomplete when she is in the human realm.

(Not really decided on how she'll be summoned, so if someone wants to be her summoner I'd be happy with that. If not, that is fine too.)
I am filled with recollections of lives I have not lived.

Writersblockade

Sounds like the Enforcers are kinda like a mix between Men in Black and the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense. They regulate anyone that feels the need to pull down the veil protecting humanity from knowing too much about the supernatural? I'd be so in for something like that.
Story Lottery Profile
Here’s my O/Os!

I don't know who this Muse person is, but if it explains away the voices in my head, then I'm all for it!