Original Setting Pathfinder (Light Exotic): Darkness Beneath the Boughs

Started by Verasaille, February 02, 2015, 09:25:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Verasaille

Going with Muse's wording for this. I like his name for it! Changed the title here too.

So far I have:

1. Vera
2. Muse
3. OyabunKyuubi
4. Midwest Man
5. eBadger
6. Garuss Vakarian
7. Thatrpguy

I will allow two more as I am not considering Muse and I to count in the six. Then I will close it.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Verasaille

Rajah, the White Elves, or Blanqua as I call them, are very reclusive in nature and not likely to be any part of a royal line.

From the Misted Peaks to the North that rise out of the sea come the legends of the White Elves. Skin as pale as alabaster, blue slanted eyes and short pointed ears, they are known as the Blanqua. Fine boned and short, there are none taller than four feet in height. As a people they are very reclusive. Living on the smaller game plentiful in the foothills of the Misted Peaks, and gathering berries in the summer to dry and use as seasoning the rest of the year. It is said they can create a mist with their magic and vanish into it like a ghost. They use bows made of willow and arrows tipped with the paralyzing poison of a thorn bush that grows in their woods. They trade with their neighbors to the south for the some foodstuffs and also for spirits like the elven brandy and wine.

I am willing to accept any of you wishing to cross between two tribes of the Elves, like the Greinida and the Perida or the Blanqua with some shared characteristics of each tribe. I am totally ok with mixing it up this way. I would prefer however,  that you remain Elves and try to stay with my basic concept of them.

In my world the humans are even more xenophobic. That is they hate the elves for a variety of reasons. They tolerate them only because of the trade in goods they covet. I am trying to convey a sense of conflict with the races. They are aware of each other but do not cross.

I am thinking of the Faela as a blanket term for the smallest of elven forms, they would not likely cross with anyone except those of the same variety. These are also the only winged  Elves.
I have gone off in search of myself. If I should get back before I return, please keep me here.

Chulanowa

I'm interested, though elves aren't exactly my favorite... buuuut I'm happy to give it a shot  ;D

OyabunKobold

Quote from: Verasaille on February 10, 2015, 09:22:59 PM
I am willing to accept any of you wishing to cross between two tribes of the Elves, like the Greinida and the Perida or the Blanqua with some shared characteristics of each tribe. I am totally ok with mixing it up this way. I would prefer however,  that you remain Elves and try to stay with my basic concept of them.

In my world the humans are even more xenophobic. That is they hate the elves for a variety of reasons. They tolerate them only because of the trade in goods they covet. I am trying to convey a sense of conflict with the races. They are aware of each other but do not cross.

Hums, So by this my Half Elf idea probably wont work right?

Or is there a way you and I could speak over Pm see about swinging it either way :3 Im open for discussion about anything really on my char as Im creating it.

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0
Current Roleplay capacity 0/0

Rajah

Rajah, the White Elves, or Blanqua as I call them, are very reclusive in nature and not likely to be any part of a royal line.

Ah. I went with it 'cause eBadger's character is also a white elf of a royal line and I thought it'd be fun to play competing nobility. :p No worries, I can rework - do they have monasteries? Maybe he's the favored Stalker disciple of a reclusive mystic who taught virtues centered in knowledge, gained through exploration, (having explored the world before she became a reclusive mystic) and Ziati's been sent out into the world as a test of his courage, wisdom, and awareness. He's seeking out the dark because it frightens him, and fear must be conquered by clear-eyed examination. Also probably there was a sermon at some point to the tune of "if you run into any monster-spawning artifacts, you should probably try to do something about it."
"They say even the proudest spirits can be broken...with love."

-The Beldame (CORALINE by Neil Gaiman)

Chulanowa

Verasaille

This is from my world building thread.

The smallest members of the Elven race are simply called Faela. There are so many in a wide variety of shapes and sizes that even the elves have given up trying to keep track of them except for a few die hard sages. Ranging in size from twelve inches tall to a full three feet tall, they are gifted with flight. Wings come in many colors and are good only for short distances. A Faela can only stay in the air continuously for about ten minutes. They can however flit about all day. If they are not constantly in the air, it might seem so. Hair is brightly colored often because it is dyed. A natural color would be white. Their eyes range from bright blue to a deep sapphire.

They migrate from the Northern foothills in the summer to the Dales in the winter. They are not a hardy race and are easily harmed by larger and faster predators. Because of this they multiply rapidly and often have swarms where the play is raucous and orgiastic. They eat berries and grains and rice, with some insects taking priority at certain times of the year. They also raise silkworms and harvest the silk to sell to the other races. The making of dyes and colored silk cloth is a favored past time.

Galactic Druid

I'd be interested in joining up as a healer, but do have a couple of questions;

Since I'd be looking to play a cleric, this one's kind of key to me, will you be permitting the pathfinder dieties a place in your world? I've never tried to make a cleric with a custom god before.

I'm not really all that available for posting on weekends, as it's the only time I get to see certain family. Is everyone interested committed to posting daily? If you all are, it wouldn't really be fair for me to join and slow the rest of you down, especially on weekends.
A/As last updated 11/27 - Halfway past busy season!

Chulanowa

Right, was just wondering if maybe there was more  ;D

Sounds like they could be covered by Gathlain pretty well

Verasaille

I made the Faela to cover winged fairies because I intend on playing one in the rp. Mostly due to the fun I have been having in Muse's thread. I will likely import my Jia from there.

As to clerics, I am using the Goddess Ahune for the Elves as the Primary deity. If we allow other deities it might seem too much like the other universes. We can if you all want to do so, have more than one Deity. We can for example have a War God of some kind, strictly for the Elves.

OyabunKobold

@thatrpguy

Actually as a cleric you dont "need" to be devoted to a god or goddess at all. You can rather be devoted to ideals which give you the same things the gods or goddess' would

While the vast majority of clerics revere a specific deity, a small number dedicate themselves to a divine concept worthy of devotion—such as battle, death, justice, or knowledge—free of a deific abstraction. (Work with your GM if you prefer this path to selecting a specific deity.)

It might lose you out on a Weapon proficiency but Im sure you could get that too if it was direly important would need Dm approval of course

Currently owed posts: 0/0 | Currently owed Pms: 0| Currently owed offline posts: 0/0

Verasaille

Going to go on a limb here and show you how I view the various tribes of elves.

This is the Perida:

The Faela:

Greinida:

Blanqua:

Of course we are still looking, so feedback is good

eBadger

This comes a bit back to either needing some more description for them or giving leeway to make some up.  I assumed reclusive and insular means they'd have their own government, be it clans, council, or whatever; perhaps serving under some overarching elven monarch but not managed in daily life by other types of elves. 

Maybe peek back over my last description again to see how you like it. 

Verasaille

I am willing for each of the tribes to have their own royalty. That is a King and Queen for the Blanqua, the Faela and the Perida. By means of negotiating and politics and bribery and other means, they are all united under the High King Emortalis.

I would like to see some opinions on how you see the tribes interacting with each other. I do need more than one tribe represented in the party. Just to help flesh out the differences. If we can get two of each that would be grand.

Nothing is written in stone yet. Muse still needs to get back to us on the system and how he wants to do the stats and everything.

Chulanowa

Muse

Quote from: eBadger on February 11, 2015, 02:09:29 AM
This comes a bit back to either needing some more description for them or giving leeway to make some up.  I assumed reclusive and insular means they'd have their own government, be it clans, council, or whatever; perhaps serving under some overarching elven monarch but not managed in daily life by other types of elves. 

Maybe peek back over my last description again to see how you like it.

Look at the world building thread. THe basics of the elves political and mercantile structure is layd out there. 

And now that I'm rested and back from Dallas, I'll be hitting this project tonight. 
A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

Verasaille

I am going to make a character for each tribe of elves and we will see how it goes for generating the stats.

Do we want to start at level one or five?

Chulanowa

Both are good with me. Five allows more flexibility, but one allows for that fresh new character smell, and the joy of "Oh boy, that orc had a masterwork padded shirt on him! Score!"

Muse

I was going to sugest three based on what we disucessed, but level five is probably a good place to start.  :) 

A link for all of us who ever had a shouting match with our muse: http://www.ted.com/talks/elizabeth_gilbert_on_genius.html

How to set this Muse ablaze (O/Os)

When the little angel won't appear no matter how many plum blossoms you swirl:  https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=135346.msg16474321#msg16474321 (Major update 5/10/2023)

OyabunKobold

Level 5 works for me Ill add that to my Currently in progress Sheet.

eBadger

Quote from: Muse on February 12, 2015, 12:00:08 AM
Look at the world building thread. THe basics of the elves political and mercantile structure is layd out there. 

Hmm...I'm missing it, then.  I see a note about the high king, several items that are traded, and the typical D&D coinage system, but nothing really detailing the individual tribes. 

Verasaille, would you be open to breaking the mold a bit with the Blanqua?  I'm thinking a Venetian-style 'democracy', no royalty per se but only a select few houses/lineages that are permitted to take part in votes (resulting in the aristocratic houses becoming powerful political entities, specializing in certain aspects of politics and trade, etc). 

As for relations with the other tribes, since they're insular I think there's a bit of a schism, but not a violent one.  I'm thinking Scotland: a member of the overall empire but one that perhaps tends to feel not all the rules apply to them and are one vote away from peacefully but firmly deciding to do their own thing. 

And definitely level 5; if we're world-building then we should have larger concerns than gathering pointy sticks and armor (though yes, that can be fun at times). 

Verasaille

I like the idea of the Blanqua like the Scots, independent and hardy but aloof. The white hair and blue eyes is typical of arctic circle type  residents. Also I am using all of you to help me flesh the tribes out, so I am open to all suggestions.

The Scots are also a good example of the hardy woodsmen who are very much in tune with Nature and the Fey. They had a lot of superstitions and ties to the pagan religions. As were the Welsh. I will work on something for the Blanqua and post it in the world builder.

All I have now is a general description and location. They live in mountainous country to the North and have some summer type weather, though the summers are short. I was thinking of making their land more like Switzerland, where they have sheep and goats and raise small horses. (Think Shetland ponies)

OyabunKobold

I have a Sheet if youd like to see it made up for my Elf/Half-elf if youd like to see it Vera...

Might look like a whole lot of greek to you though

Verasaille

I think all sheets should go to Muse for approval. He will be running the mechanic part of the Pathfinder show. I am only interested in a good write up of your characters and if you can find a picture you like to represent your character, I would like that as well.

We are going to post it in the Light Exotic small group section. I will be getting with Muse to fine tune my opener.

OyabunKobold

Okay well Ill finish up that part for you tomorrow gotta go clock into work and work for 10 hours