The Gauntlet Has Been Thrown: The Future of Superhero Movies

Started by Mathim, November 18, 2014, 02:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mia h

Quote from: CuriousEyes on June 03, 2015, 10:13:12 AM
I was under the impression that the SHIELD spinoff (which was rumored to be Avengers Academy) was scrapped?
The spin-off was going to be Bobbi and Hunter leading a second SHIELD team, but yes it has been ditched for now.
If found acting like an idiot, apply Gibbs-slap to reboot system.

SapphireStar

It is probably the same facility. Fury had left Coulson a Toolbox with instructions and such of what to do. Was part of why Coulson was secretive during season two and it was revealed that he was building a bigger base. That it was foreshadowed.  With what transpired with the Inhumans and the coming threat, it ties into the movie. probably wouldn't be surprised if Coulson or some of the characters from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. make a cameo appearance in Civil War while Cap and Black Widow are training the new Avengers. Coulson wanted to find and bring those with abilities together to train, to fight threats like Ultron while the other S.H.I.E.L.D. faction wanted to imprison them. Season two also foreshadowed events upcoming in Captain America: Civil War.

CaptainNexus616

I would love it if Agent Venom was involved in that. Sadly since we are nearing the end of Phase II it is highly unlikely we will see him before Infinity Wars.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ FLIP THIS TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ ヽ(°□°ヽ) FLIP THAT TABLE.
┻━┻ ︵ \(`Д´)/ ︵ ┻━┻ FLIP ALL THE TABLES
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 03, 2015, 12:10:55 PM
I would love it if Agent Venom was involved in that. Sadly since we are nearing the end of Phase II it is highly unlikely we will see him before Infinity Wars.

Isn't he technically a Spider-Man related property and therefore owned by Sony? I could be wrong obviously but that's just the first thing that came to mind. I know Sony is going to be sharing Spidey with the MCU but I don't know if they're going to play ball with any of the other Spideyverse characters.

I think Coulson and whatever new form SHIELD has taken definitely needs to at least play a small role in Civil War or the show is going to become less and less relevant to the overall universe. Who doesn't want to see Clark Gregg back on the big screen anyway? Sif already knows he's still alive, so why not let the main Avengers team know? Ah, drama. Besides, him being allowed to bring together gifted individuals is the perfect setup for the coming of the Defenders, AND this could strongly link them to the Avengers too. Like, they'd be the second string ('West Coast vs. East Coast' Avengers?) if the main team falls.
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

There is a rumor that the Red Hulk will make an appearance in Civil War. And, a Spider-man easter egg is being teased being in Ant-Man.

They had teased that Coulson and some of his team from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was going to appear in Age of Ultron. I think it was wise of them not to have Coulson and company appear in Age of Ultron. It seems much more logical to have them appear in Civil War. As season 2 seemed to be setting up some events of Civil war with the two factions of S.H.I.E.L.D. going head to head and brining in the Inhumans. The S.H.I.E.L.D. spin-off seems to be in limbo with conflicting reports. Some say its cancelled others still saying its a go.

Venom is property of Sony like all of the Spidey characters. They were going to be doing a Sinister Six movie as well as a Venom movie.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 03, 2015, 11:32:19 PM
There is a rumor that the Red Hulk will make an appearance in Civil War. And, a Spider-man easter egg is being teased being in Ant-Man.

They had teased that Coulson and some of his team from Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was going to appear in Age of Ultron. I think it was wise of them not to have Coulson and company appear in Age of Ultron. It seems much more logical to have them appear in Civil War. As season 2 seemed to be setting up some events of Civil war with the two factions of S.H.I.E.L.D. going head to head and brining in the Inhumans. The S.H.I.E.L.D. spin-off seems to be in limbo with conflicting reports. Some say its cancelled others still saying its a go.

Venom is property of Sony like all of the Spidey characters. They were going to be doing a Sinister Six movie as well as a Venom movie.

I agree. They were already trying to cram way too much into AoU so unless they were going to just split it into 2 parts, it wouldn't make sense for Coulson or SHIELD to show up in that. Civil War just makes so much more sense for their reappearance anyway since they're likely to be integral to the central issue. Still, to think any of the Avengers might consider Coulson their enemy...this one is going to be pretty damn dramatic, I bet.

Sinister Six as a movie would probably go nowhere (I mean, they ain't the Suicide Squad where they're at least being forced to do good even if they don't want to) but Venom at least has numerous redeeming moments in the comics. Would really love a Spidey and Venom team-up against Carnage. Those were some of my favorite story arcs, where the aptly bloody-looking symbiote was too much even for both of those enemies-turned-reluctant-allies. But with such a young Peter Parker, it's unlikely that'll ever happen. Again, why can't Sony and other execs figure out you don't need to make the heroes into children to get that age group to come see the heroes in the theater?
Considering a permanent retirement from Elliquiy, but you can find me on Blue Moon (under the same username).

SapphireStar

Some of the Avengers and other heroes did see S.H.I.E.L.D. as their enemy during Civil War. Maria Hill was under Tony Stark's command when he ran S.H.I.E.L.D. during that period. Plus, Quake who Skye played by Chloe Bennett is based on was a loyal S.H.I.E.L.D. agent. So, it will be interesting to see how both sides perceive Coulson and his team when they make an appearance. Coulson seems to lean more towards the Captain America side, while the other side leans towards rounding up the ones with powers and have them register so they know who can do what and regulate their use of powers. Which was the theme within season 2. Gonzales's team which included Mockingbird wanted to round up all those with powers and imprison them. They were seen as a threat.

It would be cool to see a properly done Venom movie, with Carnage being one of the main antagonists. There are rumors that Red Hulk will make an appearance in Civil War.

Deamonbane

I have to say, I wasn't really a fan of the new Daredevil suit. I liked the other one more, where it's just a bandanna covering the top half of his face. Makes it seem more down to earth and less of... well, a superhero, I suppose. Am I making any sense.?
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 04, 2015, 11:16:31 AM
I have to say, I wasn't really a fan of the new Daredevil suit. I liked the other one more, where it's just a bandanna covering the top half of his face. Makes it seem more down to earth and less of... well, a superhero, I suppose. Am I making any sense.?

No, not really. The whole idea is to set these characters apart as SUPER heroes. That badass costume makes him seem less of a frail mortal constantly needing serious medical attention. Him being too down to earth like before made it seem way too overwhelming for him (and, in fact, it was on numerous occasions.) This new suit allowed him to survive and overcome his main adversary, how important is it going to be for him to have that in the next season when new, possibly greater threats emerge? I personally don't want to see him getting his ass kicked over and over again. It was painful enough watching Iron Man be Iron Monger's bitch during that film's climactic 'battle'.

Regarding Red Hulk, how bitchin' would that be? I mean, regular Hulk is M.I.A. right now and what else could potentially be so great a threat that all the opposing superheroes would be forced to put aside their differences and band together to stop it? I don't want to think it's a terribly strong possibility but I wouldn't discount it altogether.

CaptainNexus616

Having Red Hulk present would be a great way to reintroduce Hulk. Just as Red's side of the war is on the verge of winning BAM Hulk comes in and starts kicking ass
▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ Sorry, I just dropped my bag of Doritos in my signature again. ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄ ▲ ► ▼ ◄┐( °ー ° )┌

Deamonbane

I mean the look of it, not the utilities. Bright red hardly falls in line with what he has been going for in the series so far. I liked the black, although yeah red is Daredevil's color.

Dunno. More black, less red, more body armor, less spandex? I mean the suit will stop a knife and gun (?) but as far as impact goes, it doesn't help much, I don't think.
Angry Sex: Because it's Impolite to say," You pissed me off so much I wanna fuck your brains out..."

Mathim

Quote from: Deamonbane on June 04, 2015, 01:06:54 PM
I mean the look of it, not the utilities. Bright red hardly falls in line with what he has been going for in the series so far. I liked the black, although yeah red is Daredevil's color.

Dunno. More black, less red, more body armor, less spandex? I mean the suit will stop a knife and gun (?) but as far as impact goes, it doesn't help much, I don't think.
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Well he warded off Fisk's assault with a heavy metal blunt object during their final throwdown without breaking his arms blocking so many strikes, so I think impact, to a degree, is also effectively lessened.

But I do think the balance of red and black was actually quite nicely balanced as it is; I mean, yeah, black is a nice motif for the dark tone of the show and the fact that he operates best at night where low visibility is not an issue for him, but there's also a shit-ton of blood throughout the series so I think them maintaining his expected red costume we're used to from the comics (and thank god they never went down the yellow spandex road) is totally justifiable. I mean, when I think of the devil, I'm not thinking black, I'm thinking red, so it makes perfect sense he'd be able to scare the crap out of superstitious criminals even more if they really did believe he was some supernatural underworld predator. For Batman, of course, black is exactly the right color, all over, but for Daredevil, I would think even more red would be better, but I'm good with it as is because it looks so freaking awesome the way it's put together. And since he does need a high degree of mobility (and frankly it's a step up from the bondage club discount rubber thing Ben Affleck had to wear) it makes sense why there's not an overwhelming amount of body armor.

What I missed were the radar-sense sequences from the movie, though. I would like to see something akin to that in season 2 if they can.

CaptainNexus616

Interesting fun fact. The black "ninja" outfit was actually based on the original outfit from the comics. Gotta love DAT continuity reference.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 04, 2015, 07:36:17 PM
Interesting fun fact. The black "ninja" outfit was actually based on the original outfit from the comics. Gotta love DAT continuity reference.

Wasn't aware of that, but it was nice to see an evolution in garb. One more intermediary upgrade between the first and the final outfit would not have been unappreciated.

Anyone wondering if Elektra might find her way into Hell's Kitchen sometime in Season 2? Great way to bring down the bulk of the Hand, if she starts out hostile but then joins the good guys.

Also, I never got the impression Daredevil was all that into mercy and stuff. Is he like Batman in his unwillingness to take villains' lives in the comics or is it kind of both depending on the writer?

CaptainNexus616

Kind of both. I wouldn't say he's Batman pacifist or a killer on terms with the Punisher.  I recall their was a comic where he was holding onto Bullseye over a large fall and willingly let go and thus allowed Bullseye to fall to his "death" (came back at a later date).

Affleck's Daredevil even through the same villain out a above ground stain glass window

SapphireStar

From what I've read of Daredevil, he never took a life, but walked a thin thin at times. Especially after Bullseye murdered Elektra. Daredevil came really close to killing Bullseye. Then he really turned dark when he became a Hand Warlord. Wouldn't be surprised if they started having The Hand making appearances. They are kind of like the League of Assassins only instead of the Lazarus Pits, they use the occult to resurrect.

Mathim

Quote from: CaptainNexus616 on June 04, 2015, 11:49:36 PM
Kind of both. I wouldn't say he's Batman pacifist or a killer on terms with the Punisher.  I recall their was a comic where he was holding onto Bullseye over a large fall and willingly let go and thus allowed Bullseye to fall to his "death" (came back at a later date).

Affleck's Daredevil even through the same villain out a above ground stain glass window

Yeah, wasn't sure if Bullseye survived that in the movie, but Daredevil definitely allowed that rapist guy to die getting run over by that train. Looked like he might have strangled the guy with his wire thing if the train hadn't come by and made too much noise (never seemed to be an issue in the show...or maybe I just missed it) so it became a passive murder instead of an active one. Same result, though it made his hands look slightly less bloody to simply refuse to save the guy. Kinda like Batman with Ra's Al Ghul in Batman Begins.

Can't wait til I can get the entire season 2 of Agents of SHIELD so I can see what the fuck those people have been up to. Never seem to be able to find every episode in order or for free.

SapphireStar

Just stumbled across a rumor that Jason Statham is rumored to be in talks to play Bullseye on Daredevil. Be alot better then Colin Ferrell's Bullseye. Rumors of Elektra and the Punisher also to appear in Season 2.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 05, 2015, 01:04:27 AM
Just stumbled across a rumor that Jason Statham is rumored to be in talks to play Bullseye on Daredevil. Be alot better then Colin Ferrell's Bullseye. Rumors of Elektra and the Punisher also to appear in Season 2.

Dood, fucking awesome. But hey, I liked Colin Farrel's Bullseye, he was funny and psychotic. I haven't really been following Statham's career, is it unexpected for someone who headlines so many major motion pictures to downgrade to doing television or has he been going downhill lately and this is sort of a redeeming situation/choice?

Punisher would be a great foil to Daredevil. The guy who holds back from making villains pay the ultimate price from the guy who indiscriminately wants nothing less than that, what a dichotomy. I'd like to see each of the heroes who get their own series also bring in other names to their show, like Blade could make an appearance in Luke Cage's show, and Shang-Chi could be a guest on Iron Fist's show.

SapphireStar

Alot of stars seem to be transitioning to doing tv shows. Joe Maganello (sp?) the guy from True Blood. Interestingly, he played Flash Thompson in the first Sam Raimi Spider-man movie. True Detective has been headlining several top names like Matthew Maughnohey (sp?), Colin Farrell, etc. Its becoming highly profitable now. Plus, you can reach a wider audience.

Punisher would be awesome. Daredevil trying to stop him. Sort of two sides of the same coin. Or, Daniel Henney who played in the first Wolverine movie. Donnie Yen is another who could appear on Iron Fist. If they are trying to get Jason Statham for Bullseye, how about Gina Carano for Elektra.

CaptainNexus616

Just googled Gina and I have to agree all the way with that. She has the look and the body for the role. Kinda wish Warner Bros chose her to be Wonder Woman instead of Gal Gaddot.

Mathim

Quote from: SapphireStar on June 05, 2015, 12:32:02 PM
Alot of stars seem to be transitioning to doing tv shows. Joe Maganello (sp?) the guy from True Blood. Interestingly, he played Flash Thompson in the first Sam Raimi Spider-man movie. True Detective has been headlining several top names like Matthew Maughnohey (sp?), Colin Farrell, etc. Its becoming highly profitable now. Plus, you can reach a wider audience.

Punisher would be awesome. Daredevil trying to stop him. Sort of two sides of the same coin. Or, Daniel Henney who played in the first Wolverine movie. Donnie Yen is another who could appear on Iron Fist. If they are trying to get Jason Statham for Bullseye, how about Gina Carano for Elektra.

I was wondering about Donnie Yen and other Asian actors who could play Wong in the Doctor Strange movie. They could at least get that right if they're not going to cast an Asian man as the Ancient One, right? They say it's better than casting an Asian actor in a stereotypical martial arts role, but that's horse shit because they already did that with Nobu in Daredevil and presumably even more with Madam Gao's whole mystery deal and whatever we'll be likely to see in season 2.

And damn, you were spot-on with Gina Carano for Elektra. She looks like the perfect age and body shape for the alluring ninja girl.

CaptainNexus616

Still no word on the new MCU Spidey but they are getting close to a choice. In other news looks like Nick Fury is being left out of the already big Civil War roster and it seems Samuel L. Jackson is surprised about this revelation himself. I can understand his shock for being such a big character and all but I'm really not sure how his character can even be incorporated into this one.

TheGlyphstone

CaptainNexus616

Well its not official but so far yes it really does look like he will be the choice.