News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Definitions of EU and Europe

Started by Celestial Goblin, September 05, 2008, 10:02:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Celestial Goblin

I didn't manage to post this before the other thread was locked, so I just wanted to clarify it here, just in case someone doesn't know:

The continent is called 'Europe'. The organization is called 'European Union'.
Not every country on the continent belongs to EU. There is no continent called 'EU'.

If someone is asked 'what countries are you talking about' and replies 'the EU', it's a perfectly valid response, becaue EU is indeed a group of countries.

Cherri Tart

thanks for this, CG - i had wanted to make that point too, but the thread got locked out before i could manage. *Hug*
you were never able to keep me breathing as the water rises up again

O/O, Cherri Flavored

ShrowdedPoet

YAY!!!  I LOVE facts and research and definitions!!!!  *is happy now*
Kiss the hand that beats you.
Sexuality isn't a curse, it's a gift to embrace and explore!
Ons and Offs

Inkidu

Quote from: Celestial Goblin on September 05, 2008, 10:02:37 AM
I didn't manage to post this before the other thread was locked, so I just wanted to clarify it here, just in case someone doesn't know:

Not every country on the continent belongs to EU. There is no continent called 'EU'.

If someone is asked 'what countries are you talking about' and replies 'the EU', it's a perfectly valid response, becaue EU is indeed a group of countries.
Technically that is not an appropriate answer because it is an organization.

When someone asks you what countries you cannot answer with an organization. Not in the straight answer anyway.

"What countries do you like?"
"The U.N."
Technically wrong.

The correct response, "The countries of the U.N."

I thought it best to provide an example other than the E.U. to avoid confusion.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Vekseid

The EU exists in that sort of middle ground the US did before the drafting of the Constitution.

1: It has a desire to form its own military apparatus.
2: It has its own currency.
3: It has a legal governing body and justice system which can create and enforce laws.

The United Nations has no such power outside of the military backing of its members.

Inkidu

So. It's still an organization of sorts, and you technically cannot use it to answer the question. With all that. Just like the U.S. at the time it is not a recognized country.
The only thing I was doing was showing that organizations cannot be used to answer the question. 

"What countries?"
"The E.U."
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Vekseid

It has its own trading regulations and rules for exports and imports. It prevented the acquisition of Honeywell by General Electric, for example, because the EU would have considered the result to have a monopoly on certain goods.

So yes. In terms of business and trade, it has been a valid answer to that question for some time now.

BlackRose

Quote from: Inkidu on September 06, 2008, 05:20:25 AM
So. It's still an organization of sorts, and you technically cannot use it to answer the question. With all that. Just like the U.S. at the time it is not a recognized country.
The only thing I was doing was showing that organizations cannot be used to answer the question. 

"What countries?"
"The E.U."

What if you asked, what states do you like best?

The US would be a valid answer because it represents a group of states... and YES there are other states around the world...

I am aware of the flaw in my argument. no one really likes the US.
Questions are dangerous, for questions have answers.

Rules/Ons and Offs

"Romantics... The original Emos..." ~Storiwyr

The Overlord

Quote from: Celestial Goblin on September 05, 2008, 10:02:37 AM

Somebody was having a problem with this??  :-\

adventurer

St Petersburg is defined as Europe``s fouth largest city.

Where are the borders between Eastern Europe and Russia?

There is even this expression "Eurasia". So a very interesting question.

I am from Germany and living in Berlin. So the West/East question is very vivid here.
"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=21715.0

Mia

Quote from: Vekseid on September 06, 2008, 05:12:07 AM
The EU exists in that sort of middle ground the US did before the drafting of the Constitution.

1: It has a desire to form its own military apparatus.
2: It has its own currency.
3: It has a legal governing body and justice system which can create and enforce laws.

The United Nations has no such power outside of the military backing of its members.

2. Not fully true as Denmark, GB and Sweden still have their national currencies and as it stands at the moment they won't switch to € the next decade (unless something really unexpected happens).

3. They aim at that but as the last proposal of a new constitution (if you will) was voted down by Ireland no one really knows what will happen in this department as no country really want to fund EU with any military of any greater number. I think Sweden has about 2500 totally and with a possible army one year after drafting the public of 10.000 and there are no interest of increasing that at least in my country.
I would like to meet the woman that invented sex to see what she is working on now.

ON and OFF: https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=8615.0

adventurer

Hi Mia,

I am Associate member of European Council on Foreign Relations:

www.ecfr.eu

One more questions about expanded EU is how to shape stronger role in global poltics. perhaps the site is interesting for you too.
"You can discover more about a person in a hour of play than in a year of conversation."
(Plato)

Oniya

Quote from: adventurer on September 30, 2008, 08:36:03 AM
St Petersburg is defined as Europe``s fouth largest city.

Where are the borders between Eastern Europe and Russia?

There is even this expression "Eurasia". So a very interesting question.

I am from Germany and living in Berlin. So the West/East question is very vivid here.

According to most sources I have found, Russia is considered a 'transcontinental' country.  The classically accepted border between Europe and Asia is the Ural Mountains, which divides Russia about 30/70 between the two continents.  Eurasia is used to refer to the entire land mass, separated from Africa by the Suez Canal.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

adventurer

Yes.there are different definitions....and Europe is a complexity of regions, nation states, international constellation on the outside.

Felt from within often the lack of a European Soul or European Dream is perceived.

Unlike the American Dream for example.

However the EU will be-besides US, China, India and Russia one of the super powers of 21st century. And as I work professionally in a global context I know lots of my partners from the Asia Pacific Area are asking for stronger European contributions.

So Europe needs more and deeper reflections of its identities and purpose and direction.
(Plato)

The Overlord

Quote from: Oniya on September 30, 2008, 11:39:42 AM
Eurasia is used to refer to the entire land mass, separated from Africa by the Suez Canal.

Otherwise it would be known as Eurasfrica.  :)

Oniya

Quote from: The Overlord on September 30, 2008, 04:12:19 PM
Otherwise it would be known as Eurasfrica.  :)

That looks like it would be one of those awkward words to say in front of a bunch of 9th graders.  You know, like Uranus, or frigate.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17