News:

Main Menu

Graphic Novels

Started by Mobats, September 09, 2012, 12:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mobats

We started talking about them in the doormat and figured it would be a good idea to post something about them here.

The one I mentioned was JTHM or Johnny the Homicidal Maniac (more info HERE)

Was wondering what other people thought of graphic novels and some of their favorites.  This also extends to comic books.

Wallflower20

I never read any JTHM, though I took up manga at the end of middle school. What's it basically about, other than the seemingly obvious homicidal maniac? lol

Also, you can call me Hana, if you'd like/if you can remember. I usually have it under my screen name in a forum, but I can't edit that information yet so.. >.< Yeah. lol
I love hugs and pets!               
Pets given:
Labradoodle by the Pope of the Erisian Paratheo-Anametamystikhood mayovagan
Royal Domesticated Fox by the Czar of the two Russias and his Bride, Queen of Normandy via Black Hand

Mobats

I have tons of Manga <3 the stuff.

As for calling me anything Bats is fine since I decided to go with my less popular screen name.

What Mangas do you or did you like?

Wallflower20

Quote from: Mobats on September 09, 2012, 12:44:29 PM
I have tons of Manga <3 the stuff.

As for calling me anything Bats is fine since I decided to go with my less popular screen name.

What Mangas do you or did you like?
Bats it is then! <3

Hmm... well, I'm kinda typical as far as Naruto, Bleach, Fairy Tail, and D. Gray-man, but I liked them before the animes came out. I don't watch the anime, just read. Except for Naruto, admittedly. I started Naruto in the anime and then came to like it so much I switched to manga. I think the last episode I watched should be close to airing in English now, so it's been a good time since I watched it. I'm not crazy about Bleach, but I like it alright. Lots of switching up stuff. Not sure if I like it all so it's just kinda in the 'weird' state of entertainment. Hmm.. I love Fruits Basket (manga, again), Yu Yu Hakusho (actually one of the few anime I haven't read the manga for), 1/2 Prince (though it's not finished and has slow releases.. >.>), and Skip Beat, to name a few. I'm currenty reading Baby Steps and I really like it. I haven't read/watched Prince of Tennis and I realize I probably should, because it's such a huge icon in the anime/manga world. Same goes with DB/DBZ (yes, I've never seen Dragon Ball...). I also liked Helsing and ... sigh I was going to say something and it just went *poof*. So it'll come up later if it's important. XP

Youuuuu???
I love hugs and pets!               
Pets given:
Royal Domesticated Fox by the Czar of the two Russias and his Bride, Queen of Normandy via Black Hand

Mobats

Mangas: Chobits, Angelic Layer, Fushigi Yugi, Vampire Hunter D, Rama 1/2, and stuff like that

Animes: goes along the same lines

Wallflower20

Ah! Kuroshitsuji! Black Butler! I love it, as well as not-so-pg doujin of it. *blushes a little*
I love hugs and pets!               
Pets given:

Mobats

lol those are epic.

If we are going to go American I loved the Cross Gen world when it was big.

Wallflower20

Hmm.. I don't know of it. >.< I'm bad with Ameican comics on the whole, though I like/appreciate them all. I also got a relatively late start, at least among my friends. I had some catching up to do.
I love hugs and pets!               
Pets given:

Mobats

They went out of business a few years ago but all their comic books existed in the same universe on different planets

OldSchoolGamer

I've never been able to understand manga and whatnot.  If I ever decide to expand my mind with recreational drugs (not likely, but hey, you never know), I'll try some of it again.

Chris Brady

Do the French Graphic Novels count?  Like Tintin or Asterix and Obelix?  Among others?
My O&Os Peruse at your doom.

So I make a A&A thread but do I put it here?  No.  Of course not.

Also, I now come with Kung-Fu Blog action.  Here:  Where I talk about comics and all sorts of gaming

Maiz

Graphic novels i love:

The Sandman, but this is a given p much
The Unwritten. The covers are my favorite part . The story is interesting as well and involves a Harry Potter type character and meta ideas about writing.
Y: The Last Man. I love that this comic takes the idea of "all men die" and make it interesting and avoids b scifi movie tropes. I love all the characters and the plot is amazing.
Skim. a standalone comic that really resonates with aa younger me. The art is fantastic.
Persepolis. A autobiographical book about life in Iran and Europe. The movie is also pretty good.
Freak Angels: I love Warren Ellis and this graphic novel is online for free which is great. It's post-apocalyptic, mysterious, and pretty cool.
Ex machina: I need to reread his but it kept me entertained. I feel the ending was rushed though. It's a sci-fi superhero type thing.
Transmetropolitan. This is a really colorful futuristic scifi series by Warren ellis, again.

Manga I love:
Ooku: Another spin on "all men die" except its not all men and its set in the Tokugawa shogunate. It's a brilliant romance-alt history combo.
Otoyomegatari: I love this for the detail. The author/artist researched so much about Central Asian cultures and makes a great story with it.
Angel Sanctuary: God this is such a nostalgic thing for me, but I love the gothic horror elements to it.

Wallflower20

To Chris, go ahead and share no matter the origin! ^ ^ If it's a graphic novel and worth reading, I'm sure others would like to know about it, not just me. "Graphic Novel" doesn't pertain to one country. <3
I love hugs and pets!               
Pets given:

Mobats

I have graphic novels from all over the place. I love them for the art just as much as the story they tell.

The one that got me started is V for Vendette

RecklessRapscallion

Quote from: xiaomei on September 10, 2012, 01:38:18 AM
Graphic novels i love:

The Unwritten. The covers are my favorite part . The story is interesting as well and involves a Harry Potter type character and meta ideas about writing.
Y: The Last Man. I love that this comic takes the idea of "all men die" and make it interesting and avoids b scifi movie tropes. I love all the characters and the plot is amazing.
Skim. a standalone comic that really resonates with aa younger me. The art is fantastic.
Persepolis. A autobiographical book about life in Iran and Europe. The movie is also pretty good.
Freak Angels: I love Warren Ellis and this graphic novel is online for free which is great. It's post-apocalyptic, mysterious, and pretty cool.
Ex machina: I need to reread his but it kept me entertained. I feel the ending was rushed though. It's a sci-fi superhero type thing.
Transmetropolitan. This is a really colorful futuristic scifi series by Warren ellis, again.

Manga I love:
Ooku: Another spin on "all men die" except its not all men and its set in the Tokugawa shogunate. It's a brilliant romance-alt history combo.
Otoyomegatari: I love this for the detail. The author/artist researched so much about Central Asian cultures and makes a great story with it.
Angel Sanctuary: God this is such a nostalgic thing for me, but I love the gothic horror elements to it.

I LOVE ME SOME TRANS MET!!!!!
"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." - Ash Williams
O/O's - Under Construction

Maiz

It's a great series! I need to reread it soon!

Mobats

I feel I am going to have to add that one to my list to read.

HairyHeretic

Hellboy
BPRD
Fables
Empowered
Dirty Pair
Assorted Warhammer 40k ones
Judge Dredd
Rogue Trooper
Nikolai Dante

Looking For Group
Order of the Stick

Manga:
Outlanders
Drakuun
Caravan Kidd
Ragnarok
Hellsing

And a few other odds and ends
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

The Last Standing

Did somebody say Manga?!?!

I started out with the big 3 a while back but have since moved to a more Seinen bend. Two fantastic manga that I highly recommend are Monster and Vagabond, although sadly Vagabond is still not completely finished. Monster has an amazingly crafted story that's suspenseful and always human. Vagabond's story, although great, may not be quite as compelling, but the gritty artwork and action make up for it in that regard.

Also, check out Mirrai Nikkei if you want to find the single creepiest girl in manga.

VonDoom

You know, at first I was going to go all 'pff, you call THAT the creepiest girl in manga, THIS is the creepiest girl in manga' ... and then I realized how right you were.

If you like Monster, you definitely ought to check out 20th Century Boys and Pluto as well.
Now this is the Law of the Jungle-
as old and as true as the sky;
And the Wolf that shall keep it may  prosper,
but the Wolf that shall break it must die.

-Rudyard Kipling, "The Law of the Jungle"
O&O

Mr Self Destruct

I've been reading the classics...and by classics, I mean the old school DC graphic novels.

Kingdom Come
Batman: The Dark Knight
Batman: Vampire
Superman: Red Son

I also wanna get into some of the old school Marvel Annuals, but my finances haven't allowed me said reading, yet. lol

tozhma

I love that they've been digitizing comic books, makes reading obscure past issues a lot easier. There was no way I was going to spend my money and time diggign through the stacks to construct the full arcs of old Punisher issues, but when I found them in digital form it was a lot easier. There's only certain comics I (used to) collect.

One of the real gems from a while back was The Maxx. It was some of the most entertaining and yet thought provoking reading I had ever encountered.

MyrnaCoy

Quote from: xiaomei on September 10, 2012, 01:38:18 AM
Graphic novels i love:

Manga I love:

Fabulous list!!

Y: The Last Man is one of my favorite series so far.

I'll add the following:

Chew: It's about an FDA Agent who is also a cibopath, meaning he gains pyschic impressions by eating things in order to solve crimes. This has included dead people. Five stars on all fronts, in my opinion.
Batwoman: If you are looking for some kick ass female superheroes, Batwoman's new series has started out strongly and gotten better over time. I don't read a large amount of superhero comics, but out of the ones I have read, this is the most compelling and beautifully executed.
The Walking Dead: If you're following the TV series, but haven't read the comics, I suggest you go read them. The TV series is going in a wildly different direction than the comics, which isn't a bad thing in my opinion, but the story in the comics is freaking amazing.
Wonder Woman: Hiketia: I love the dynamic between Wonder Woman and Batman, and this arc in particular is one of my favorites.
American Vampire: I'm sick of vampire anything these days, but this one is complete and total eye candy and the story is really, really good.
Alabaster Wolves: A short run that has been quite enjoyable.
Saga: A new series from Brian K Vaughn that the boy and I are HUGE fans of. The story is killer, the art is beautiful. I can't recommend it enough.

Sasquatch421

I don't have many but this is it...

Batman: Hush
Batman Vs. Predator 2
Infinite Crisis
She-Hulk: Planet with a She-Hulk
Iron-Man: Extremis

For manga I have only one series...... Ranma 1/2

Vanity Evolved

Hmm, lessee... In no particular order:

Scott Pilgrim vs. The World. Just recently finished reading this, and I freakin' loved it.
Puella Magi Madoka Magica. Collecting the manga now I finished the anime. I think Kyubey in the anime is better than in the manga, but otherwise, both beautiful with an amazing storyline, imo.
Battle Royale. The manga was good, but a little odd in places; it was a bit jarring that one minute, everyone was forced into gritty, vaguely realistic scenarios, and then suddenly, one guy would come in with super wire-fu kung fu to save the day.
Garth Ennis's Punisher MAX. Because Punisher = <3