News:

Main Menu

Winter is Coming...

Started by Rhapsody, April 01, 2012, 04:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drake Valentine

Mmnkay, just checking as she is the only character whose story I found most interesting.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Rhapsody

I read that scene the same way I read it in the books. Dubious consent. The pan away, I think, is where people are getting caught up (not that I'm negating anyone's opinion, this is purely my own). I think she was still encouraging it, and her repeated statement of "it's not right" came from why they were where they were. Not what they were doing. Just me, though.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP
|| O&O || Requests ||  A&A ||
Current Posting Speed: 1-2 times per week

Come to me, just in a dream. Come on and rescue me.
Yes, I know. I can be wrong. Maybe I'm too headstrong.

inghippo

King joffrey is death and I'm really happy about how this is going... :D

Ascia

Quote from: Drake Valentine on April 23, 2014, 02:13:25 AM
Is Arya in Dance with Dragons? I have yet seen her chapter. Unless it is laaaate in the book.

She has two chapters in the entire book. But, the good news, is that you get to see her take her first real steps towards becoming a Faceless Man in those chapters. Including the audience getting to see just how the Faceless Men go about being faceless. =)

Keep in mind neither Arya chapter in Dance is named Arya. The first is named 'The Blind Girl', and the second 'The Ugly Little Girl'.

And once you've read those...the Winds of Winter sample chapter on Martin's website right now is an Arya chapter. <3

Ascia

Quote from: inghippo on April 23, 2014, 08:40:04 AM

The worst part? I think I actually like Tommen.

Although I was shocked to see how much older series Tommen is from book Tommen.

Iniquitous

Quote from: inghippo on April 23, 2014, 08:40:04 AM

You've not read the books have you? By my count (in Westeros) there is 4 more moderate to big deaths coming and then Cersei's dumbest move ever. This whole season is going to just be awesome.
Bow to the Queen; I'm the Alpha, the Omega, everything in between.

Remiel

Quote from: Ascia on April 23, 2014, 11:48:20 AM
The worst part? I think I actually like Tommen.

Although I was shocked to see how much older series Tommen is from book Tommen.

Yeah, it will be interesting to see how Tommen takes over as the king.  In the series, I mean.

I think Joffrey's death is when Cersei really starts to unravel.  I mean, she had always been a bit unhinged and/or unscrupulous before that (Lancel), but at least she managed to be shrewd.  Afterwards, she just sort of...loses it.

Saerwen

I've watched the entire show so far, I must say I love it.

Only recently have I picked up the books and started them. I'm a bit surprised how it seems to differ, are there a lot of changes between the books and the shows? I'm just curious before I get too far into the books. Would you all assume it is better to just finish the show instead of reading the books if there are a lot of changes, and read the books after?

jouzinka

Quote from: Remiel on April 23, 2014, 12:46:33 PMI think Joffrey's death is when Cersei really starts to unravel.  I mean, she had always been a bit unhinged and/or unscrupulous before that (Lancel), but at least she managed to be shrewd.  Afterwards, she just sort of...loses it.

IMHO Cersei and Jaime are
Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide
not Lannisters, but Targaryen bastards. Remember that kitchen rumor Barristan Selmy tells Danaerys about her father and Joanna Lannister?

Her all-consuming paranoia after (but even before) Joffrey's death and Joffrey's fascination with fire that Jaime observed make that much more sense.
Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Iniquitous

Quote from: Saerwen on April 23, 2014, 01:52:40 PM
I've watched the entire show so far, I must say I love it.

Only recently have I picked up the books and started them. I'm a bit surprised how it seems to differ, are there a lot of changes between the books and the shows? I'm just curious before I get too far into the books. Would you all assume it is better to just finish the show instead of reading the books if there are a lot of changes, and read the books after?

The author hasn't finished the books so the show cant finish the series. As for changes, there are a few. Personally I say read the books. They are immensely better and go much farther into the plots than the show can.

Rhapsody

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on April 23, 2014, 03:45:30 PM
The author hasn't finished the books so the show cant finish the series. As for changes, there are a few. Personally I say read the books. They are immensely better and go much farther into the plots than the show can.

The series will finish with or without the books. The showrunners have already said that. I'm looking for the source now.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

inghippo

QuoteYou've not read the books have you? By my count (in Westeros) there is 4 more moderate to big deaths coming and then Cersei's dumbest move ever. This whole season is going to just be awesome.

My eyes are blind in front of your spoilers! xD

Frelance

Quote from: Rhapsody on April 23, 2014, 05:44:17 PM
The series will finish with or without the books. The showrunners have already said that. I'm looking for the source now.

I heard something about that as well. The Author told the show writers how the series end but now how to get to the end so I guess you are making their own plot ark for the series. I might have heard it said in an interview but I am not sure anymore.
Evolution is an arms race

consortium11

Quote from: jouzinka on April 23, 2014, 03:18:01 PM
IMHO Cersei and Jaime are
not Lannisters, but Targaryen bastards. Remember that kitchen rumor Barristan Selmy tells Danaerys about her father and Joanna Lannister?

Her all-consuming paranoia after (but even before) Joffrey's death and Joffrey's fascination with fire that Jaime observed make that much more sense.

While I wouldn't dismiss the theory out if hand, wasn't the rumour that he merely lusted for her (and took liberties when disrobing her) rather than the two actually having engaged in an affair (consensually or not)? In addition, in Jaime's dream post-Siege of Riverun (which appears to be on of those "dreams" which reveal real information) it's heavily implied that Tywin is his father.

Saerwen

Quote from: Rhapsody on April 23, 2014, 05:44:17 PM

Quote from: Iniquitous Opheliac on April 23, 2014, 03:45:30 PM

Thank you both! I will start the books then, I was a bit nervous about starting the books but I'll get to reading then!

Rhapsody

I can't find the source, but honestly, if they go extra-canon, it'll be after The Winds of Winter. They're breaking the books into two seasons apiece now (Storm of Swords comprised Season 3 and Season 4, and I estimate that Feast For Crows is going to be about the same, then there's still A Dance With Dragons, so that's into Season 8 before they have to worry about Book 6, giving GRRM an additional 4 years to complete TWOW).
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

consortium11

He's also talked about doing prequels (the Dunk and Egg tales), albeit possibly as one or more movies, to fill any gap.

jouzinka

Quote from: consortium11 on April 23, 2014, 05:57:19 PM
While I wouldn't dismiss the theory out if hand, wasn't the rumour that he merely lusted for her (and took liberties when disrobing her) rather than the two actually having engaged in an affair (consensually or not)? In addition, in Jaime's dream post-Siege of Riverun (which appears to be on of those "dreams" which reveal real information) it's heavily implied that Tywin is his father.
I remember his aunt telling him flat-out that while Tywin does have a son, it's Tyrion, not Jaime. She might not have meant it so literal, but...

Story status: Not Available
Life Status: Just keep swimming...
Working on: N/A

Drake Valentine

Quote from: consortium11 on April 23, 2014, 06:08:17 PM
He's also talked about doing prequels (the Dunk and Egg tales), albeit possibly as one or more movies, to fill any gap.

I heard those were more side stories that did not effect the series.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

Iniquitous

I have heard the same. It's more a filler while waiting on him to finish Winds of Winter and A Dream of Spring (I *think* that is the title for the last book ... could be A Song for Spring. On my phone right now so don't want to check lol)

consortium11

Quote from: Drake Valentine on April 23, 2014, 09:57:24 PM
I heard those were more side stories that did not effect the series.

Sort of (at least referring to the Dunk and Egg tales)

I'll spoiler in case people haven't read them and they do end up being put onto screen
They're prequels set 90 years before the main series begins so you'll not see characters from the show pop up; in some ways it's the other way around with characters and events referenced during the main novels and show given more context and description, and the day-to-day events aren't going to make any real difference. However without Dunk and Egg and what happens during their adventures there's no Mad King; in the first novella the then crown prince (Baelor) is killed which leads to his brothers and eventually Egg himself becoming king and both Dunk and Egg die in the Tragedy at Summerhall (which also kills Egg's firstborn) which leads to Jaehaerys becoming King which leads to Aerys becoming king. So in that regard they have a huge effect on the series; no Dunk and Egg, no Mad King, no Robert's Rebellion etc etc

Lilias

Quote from: Rhapsody on April 23, 2014, 06:04:55 PM
I can't find the source, but honestly, if they go extra-canon, it'll be after The Winds of Winter. They're breaking the books into two seasons apiece now (Storm of Swords comprised Season 3 and Season 4, and I estimate that Feast For Crows is going to be about the same, then there's still A Dance With Dragons, so that's into Season 8 before they have to worry about Book 6, giving GRRM an additional 4 years to complete TWOW).

A Feast for Crows overlaps A Storm of Swords (with different POVs mainly) enough that it may not get the full treatment; they're dipping into it already. ASoS is the longest book so far, anyway - the one whose paperback edition had to be broken into two volumes because it was too hefty for the binding.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Rhapsody

Quote from: Lilias on April 24, 2014, 05:41:38 AM
A Feast for Crows overlaps A Storm of Swords (with different POVs mainly) enough that it may not get the full treatment; they're dipping into it already. ASoS is the longest book so far, anyway - the one whose paperback edition had to be broken into two volumes because it was too hefty for the binding.

None of the books were too big for paperback. I have all five in paperback and they're all single volumes.
|| Games I Play||
Not Available for RP

Stella

Quote from: Rhapsody on April 24, 2014, 07:44:41 AM
None of the books were too big for paperback. I have all five in paperback and they're all single volumes.

Ditto. I was really surprised  to find they split some of the volumes into two. My friend and I had a very confused conversation about how many books were in the series so far before realising we had quite different copies, ha.

Lilias

Quote from: Rhapsody on April 24, 2014, 07:44:41 AM

The British edition was. Typesetting can make a world of difference. The two paperbacks are 688 and 656 pages. There is a single-volume edition (library binding, as opposed to ordinary paperback), that's 1177 pages in markedly smaller type than the others.
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI