Do you know your Latin phrases?

Started by Jeramiahh, September 29, 2008, 12:29:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeramiahh

A simple game I ran into, randomly; name the Latin phrase used today, based off the clues given. I managed to get 6, though I should've known four more.

http://www.sporcle.com/games/latinphrases.php
I'm not shy. I'm silently stalking my prey.
There are two things that are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not quite sure about the first one.

Jefepato

17/18.  I should have known the first one but didn't.

Lilias

18/18 in 3'20". The first one stumped me for a long time, and just as I considering cheating, it came crashing down on me. (Boy, the less sleep I get, the better the old brain works!)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Trieste

1:11 remaining, got 18 of 18 ... first one wasn't too bad. It was the blank slate that had me going 'eh?'

Oniya

Missed 5, but I think that they have the college one wrong.  I thought 'highest' was a different word.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Trieste

My first guess was magna. 'Twas wrong and I tried it without the magna... then it hit me. I believe we use them pretty interchangeably. But I think 'magna' is actually 'great' or 'greatest'... thinking about the Magna Carta, which is great document or something similar.

Oniya

*gives in and looks it up*

Okay - summa is higher than magna.  I guess I'm so used to hearing the 'magn-' prefix in terms of big things that I assumed it was the higher honor.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Jefepato

I missed the first one because I kept trying to type in "ex post facto" instead of stopping and thinking about the fact that "post" is after.

Oniya

I was trying to use that one for the logical fallacy.  I watch a lot of courtroom video, so I expected I'd know a lot more just from hearing them used. 

Neroon

Finished with 5:44 remaining.  Then again, I loved Latin at school.
Timeo Danaos et dona ferentes

My yeas and nays     Grovelling Apologies     Wiki
Often confused for some guy

Inkidu

I know it but I can't spell Latin for a care.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

ryokothedemoness137

17/18 in 3:13.  For some reason de facto just wouldn't come to me, and spelling "Veni, Vidi, Vinci" slowed me down. Of course I didn't take Latin in school, so I still feel pretty good about it.