Firefox not working

Started by Serephino, April 15, 2011, 05:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Serephino

It's acting very strange.  When I launch it, instead of going to my homepage, it opens up a blank page kind of like it does when you open a new tab.  The little house icon still works to go to the Yahoo home page, but it doesn't remember me anymore.  The back button doesn't work.  And the little bar isn't showing the address of the page I'm on.

I ran Ad-Aware last night.  I ran AVG and Malwarebytes today, and it didn't find anything. 

Caeli

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling it? Does it have problems after you do that?
ʙᴜᴛᴛᴇʀғʟɪᴇs ᴀʀᴇ ɢᴏᴅ's ᴘʀᴏᴏғ ᴛʜᴀᴛ ᴡᴇ ᴄᴀɴ ʜᴀᴠᴇ ᴀ sᴇᴄᴏɴᴅ ᴄʜᴀɴᴄᴇ ᴀᴛ ʟɪғᴇ
ᴠᴇʀʏ sᴇʟᴇᴄᴛɪᴠᴇʟʏ ᴀᴠᴀɪʟᴀʙʟᴇ ғᴏʀ ɴᴇᴡ ʀᴏʟᴇᴘʟᴀʏs

ᴄʜᴇᴄᴋ ❋ ғᴏʀ ɪᴅᴇᴀs; 'ø' ғᴏʀ ᴏɴs&ᴏғғs, ᴏʀ ᴘᴍ ᴍᴇ.
{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ᴄʜᴏᴏsᴇ ʏᴏᴜʀ ᴏᴡɴ ᴀᴅᴠᴇɴᴛᴜʀᴇ: ᴛʜᴇ ғɪғᴛʜ sᴄʜᴏʟᴀʀʟʏ ᴀʀᴛ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ
»  ᴘʟᴏᴛ ʙᴜɴɴɪᴇs × sᴛᴏʀʏ sᴇᴇᴅs × ᴄʜᴀʀᴀᴄᴛᴇʀ ɪɴsᴘɪʀᴀᴛɪᴏɴs

SinClaire

You could try to update the program - possibly some background upgrade didn't sit well with it and it has it like that. It usually works well for both Firefox and IE.

Alternatively, if you're using a PC, you could try to run the browser in safe mode, see what it does. If it still doesn't work, like Caeli said, you can try to uninstall & reinstall the browser - of course, helps if you can download the .exe file and save it like that before the actual uninstallation, unless you have a backup browser.

Serephino

Thanks, I'll try updates first.  I want to avoid uninstalling because I don't want to lose all my bookmarks.

Caeli

If updating doesn't work, most browsers have a mechanism for exporting your bookmarks to load into other browsers, or in cases where you might have to uninstall your browser and re-install. Here were some links I pulled off Google:

http://pcpedia.blogspot.com/2011/01/how-to-save-bookmarks-in-firefox.html
http://www.ehow.com/how_1000389_export-save-bookmarksexport-save-bookmarksexport-save-bookmarksexport-save-bookmarks.html

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ

Serephino

Awesome.  Updating unfortunately did not work. 

Serephino

Reinstalling did not work either *cries*

Oreo

It may not be suitable for you, but I use an older version of firefox simply because I like the available dark Aerofox graphics. It's possible new updates might be glitching you and an older version will work. <_<

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,
and touches my dreams. - Harry Chapin

Reno

Check your homepage settings:

Tools menu -> Options -> "General" tab

Make sure the first two boxes say "Show me my homepage" and the address of the page you want to see at startup, respectively.

If those two settings are correct and it's still not working, I'd say replace AVG (in my experience, it lets some whoppers through) and give it another scan.

Serephino

Reinstalling the second time worked.  I tried to keep my cookies the first time.  I had it erase everything the second time, which sucked, because I had to remember my passwords to everything...  I really don't like the new Firefox 4 set up btw....

Oniya

What I would do, if it came down to getting rid of cookies:

Go to Options/Security, and in the Passwords section, there's a button to pull up Saved Passwords.  The first part of that screen just shows the websites you have passwords saved on, but there's a button there where you can hit 'Show Passwords' and then screen-shot or write down the important ones (just until you get them set back up, of course).
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oreo

I'm still using version 3.6.13. I had to go through several before finding one that was just right for me. I'm silly and like my fluff add ons. I lost over 50% of them with the new Firefox.

With the talk of saving passwords /cookies. Is there any harm in saving them on a flashdrive that is only plugged in long enough to reopen your sites? I have them written down in the safe too, but it is much easier on the flash. :/

She led me to safety in a forest of green, and showed my stale eyes some sights never seen.
She spins magic and moonlight in her meadows and streams, and seeks deep inside me,

Oniya

As long as you treat that flash-drive with as much security as that safe.  I was more or less meaning that a printout/screenshot shouldn't be left lying around on your desk any longer than you absolutely need it.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Oreo

No worries then. Thanks Oniya. I just have my room, far, far from everywhere.

DS2K

Have you tried the firefox safe mode??  they sure me ab shortcut to it, it ands -safe-mode to the start command

These also a way to reset everything back to wen it was first installed, but I forgot how to do it, sorry:)

Ferengi Rules of Acquisition:
                         Number 76:
            Every once in a while, declare peace,
          It confuses the hell out of your enemies.
<a href="https://elliquiy.com/forums/onsoffs.php?u=26009">Profile On/Off List[/url]
---
                Ferengi Rules of Acquisition:
                         Number 76:
            Every once in a while, declare peace,
          It confuses the hell out of your enemies.

Caeli

DS2K, this issue has been resolved for over a month. Please try to avoid thread necromancy, especially for time-sensitive help topics.

{ø 𝕨 
  𝕒 }
»  ᴇʟʟɪᴡʀɪᴍᴏ
»  ひらひらと舞い散る桜に 手を伸ばすよ