Escape the daily grind with me (Mirath & darkleather)

Started by Mirath, September 30, 2021, 12:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darkleather

Steve nodded along as Danny spoke.  He knew exactly what he meant.  He had been finding the same thing with the city - everyone rushing, too busy to talk.

"Hell, yeah. I know just what you mean.  I mean, look at me.  I'm just a dumb redneck and they expect me to be like they are."

Steve took a long draw from the beer.

"Just aint gonna happen."  He sighed deeply.  "Maybe this was stupid.  Maybe I shouldn't have moved here."

Mirath

Starting to relax as he looked at Steve, Danny could completely sympathise with the other man. Hell, their stories, their regrets, were more or less a mirror of the other.

Danny had to laugh at a thought, and soon shared it.

“It’s gonna be like one a those movies? Run away with me t’ the mountains?” He couldn’t keep the grin off his face, clearly teasing the other man.
Writing Style: Third person, 1-3 paragraphs
Romance-only: M/M, M/F
Sexual Preference: M/M

Darkleather

Steve burst out laughing and replied, putting on a heavy drawl.

"I don't know 'bout that."

He chuckled

"Nah that's for the movies.  Too many bills to pay and people to pay back to do that.  Could surely do with some of that country air though."

Mirath

Steve’s laugh was infectious, and Danny soon laughed along with him.

Yeah, it’d be expensive… but so very worth it. Danny rest an arm on the bar, still chuckling.

“Alright then, a weekend.” That was more doable on their salaries. “I’ll have to show ya where I go, next time I see ya.”

It had been a long old time since Danny had met someone who he enjoyed talking to, someone who seemed more… like him, not condescending or judgmental of what he did and who he was. He’d had enough of that!

Darkleather

"A weekend?  sure.  I can do that.  Might take me a few weeks to sort the leave out, but I'm good with that."

Steve knocked back the rest of his beer and stood.  "Hey, I'm gonna hold you to that"

He reached over for a napkin and scrawled his mobile phone number on it.

"Let me know when you want to go for and I'll make sure I'm free."

Mirath

“Cheers.” The barman thanked Steve as he slid the napkin over to himself, studying the number before he put it into his phone there and then, as if to show Steve that he wasn’t about to bail on him for a laugh. No, that was just too cruel.

“Yeah… yeah!” Danny’s enthusiasm was starting to come back, finally, even as he faced the rest of his shift. “I’ll let ya know. Tell me when ya next comin and I’ll have t’ bring that map.” He promised. It really was a nice place, some good walks and the most breathtaking views once you got high enough into the mountains.

Darkleather

Steve watched as Danny put the number into his phone.  He still wasn't quite sure what was going on here, whether he'd made a friend or something else, but he wasn't going to just walk away.

"Not sure.  On night shifts for the next couple of days.  And was thinking about checking some clubs out on Saturday night.  How about Sunday?  You guys do anything exciting then?"

Mirath

Danny had to think about his answer for a moment, trying to think of what was going on both in and out of the bar.

“This Sunday? Think there’s gonna be a local snooker tournament on at another bar, kinda wanna go see that. Used to enter em myself, really should…” He thought about it, then shrugged as if to dismiss the idea. Maybe next time.

“My life’s prolly borin compared t’ yours.” The barman tried to laugh, whether he was right or not. Not that he minded. He had his little niche in life, a lone haven in this busy city, and that was okay.

Darkleather

"Guess so-  at least I will once they let me out of the office a bit more.  Coz I'm new I'm treated like a damned rookie."

Steve was thinking about going -- but why not have one final beer.

"OK.  One for the road, I think Danny."

Mirath

“Hah, good ol’ Frank.” He laughed. “If ya see the guy, tell the grumpy bastard I said hi.” That said, he turned his back to Steve to grab him another beer, the cap popping off to join the other discarded ones, and set it down by Steve’s hand.

“One for the road it is.” He confirmed with a grin, nodding over to the tap. “Maybe next time this’ll be fixed properly. Ain’t holdin my breath though.”

After he’d finished talking to Steve, that was his next job - fix the damned thing. Or bodge it as best he could.

Darkleather

Steve gratefully took the bottle and had a swig from it

"I'll mention it to him - not that we actually talk much."

He looked on as Danny put a cloth over the tap.  "Do you have many problems with your taps then?"

Mirath

“Ah, well, this one always gives us trouble.” Danny explained as he rest a hand on the cloth that covered the long handle, patting it as if it were alive and in need of affection. “Some days are better than others - locals think it hates some of us.” The barman had to laugh at that with an amused shake of his head - he wasn’t in the ‘things are haunted’ mindset, but it made for a good laugh when it was the same few barmen the tap constantly seemed to break down on!

“But, like I said, costs money t’ fix, and we can get by. And, yeah, we tried switchin the barrels, thinkin it was the barrel size, but nah. S’fucked.” He breathed out in a longer and deeper sigh.

“I know a bit about ‘em, but not enough. I ain’t a plumber either way, ain’t paid enough for that.”

Darkleather

"No one gets paid as much as a plumber does!"

Steve commiserated with Danny as he slowly worked through his beer.  He was feeling comfortable here, but with a shift tomorrow, he knew it was time to head home.

"Ok then, Danny, time for me to head out."

Steve shucked on his leather jacket and picked up his sports bag.  "I'll maybe see you on Sunday then."

Mirath

“Have fun!” He called to Steve, very glad that he wasn’t working on the Sunday (or the Monday, but that was for another time) so he could relax.

But, for now, he could focus on the task at hand - fixing that blasted tap - as his coworker came back from his break. Which first meant heading down to where the pipes met barrel, tightening up the nut that fastened the two together just in case, because that had been a new barrel. There was no way it was empty enough to screw up the tap.

Sighing, he went out to take his break, stretching out as he sat on the back step and took in the cool night air.

Roll on Sunday…

Darkleather

Steve's next couple of days were hectic at work.  He passed on Danny's message to Frank but it didn't seem to change the surly senior officer one bit and he just grunted at him as they headed out.  Frank seemed to be taking a great deal of pleasure in getting Steve to do the really nasty jobs, he thought as he cuffed the rank homeless man and pushed him towards the back of the van.  Still, at least he had something to look forward to.

He slept well after his nightshift and by mid-afternoon, Steve was ready to go.  He dug out some of his old clothes as he headed out to the bar - Danny might as well see what kind of a redneck he was.  He pulled on his far too tight wrangler jeans and a wife-beater under a check shirt.  His thick leather belt with massive belt buckle was tightened and he pulled on a pair of cowboy boots.  He though about grabbing his stetson as well ... maybe too much, instead he grabbed a worn leather jacket to slip over the shirt and headed off to the bar.

Mirath

Even if he wasn’t working, Danny still leant against one of the tables as he laughed at another barman’s joke, the small group catching up before their shift properly started.

“… Look, I better get goin.” Danny explained as he pushed himself off the table, frayed black trousers just brushing the backs of his shoes. He tugged the long sleeves of his grey shirt down so he could rub the creases out.

“Fucking fancy man.” His bald co-worker teased with a loud laugh. “Yall over-dressed for a game of pool, Danny-boy.”

“Go t’ hell.” Danny called over his shoulder. That only drew more raucous laughter and he shook his head.

Darkleather

Steve walked into the bar and looked around for Danny.  He saw him and lifted one hand to wave then walked over.

"Hey Danny.  Ready to get beaten at snooker then?"

Mirath

“Hey Steve… Ya obviously haven’t seen my million trophies.” Danny teased in a deep sarcastic tone, waving a hand as if to point to an imaginary wall display. “Nah, I can hold my own.”

He grinned at Steve - maybe he was just very glad to see the other man, maybe he was amused by the man’s style - but either way it brightened his day that bit more.

“Nice t’ not go alone.” Danny admitted as they headed for the door.

Darkleather

Steve grinned as he followed Danny out.

"So, where's this snooker place then?"

Mirath

“Honestly? Jus’ round the corner.” Danny explained with a slight grin of his own as they took a left from the bar and headed up the street, the air having a slight breeze that blew in their faces and carried the smell of the local Indian restaurant on its wings. Maybe if Danny hadn’t already eaten, he’d have been in the mood for a meal out. No matter.

As they reached the end of one block to cross the quiet street, getting distracted whilst they started to cross, Danny pointed out one of the sad-looking abandoned buildings that was over on their right.

“That used t’ be a bar called The Flying Pig. Great people, good food, but in the end they jus’ struggled t’ stay afloat.” He shrugged, then grumbled. “We’re prolly not far off…”

The barman sighed and took another left, his goal halfway up this street, and came to a stop in front of another old-world bar, the large blue gryphon certainly standing out, and from the noise it was certainly more lively.

“Ready t’ get beaten at snooker?” He said back to Steve, a playful challenge in repeating the country man’s words back to him.

Darkleather

Steve headed out, nodding as Danny pointed out the local "sights".  He stored all the information as it might come in useful.  He was still getting used to this city and any extra info on it would be useful. 

He caught a whiff from a dumpster as they walked past an alley and wrinkled his nose - he still hated the way this place smelled, the complete lack of greenery.  He knew that was all about missing his home-town, but the knowledge didn't make it any easier.

As they headed along, Steve making the occasional comment, he heard the clump of boots and looked up, expecting to see someone wearing cowboy boots like he was.  Instead, he saw two men in full leather heading down an alleyway.  He looked after them, then turned his attention back to Danny.

"Oh, you're confident, are you?  Bring it on then, Limey!"

He grinned and slapped Danny on the back as they stepped towards the door of the bar.

Mirath

Laughing, Danny pushed the door to the busier bar open and stepped inside, holding it open for Steve. Because, you know, courtesy was still a thing no matter where you lived.

Laughter and jokes flew about the patrons both milling around the bar and even amongst the staff, the occasional clatter of snooker balls being struck. It almost felt like a home from home.

Almost…

”Danny!” The tall manager with a mop of brown hair greeted cheerfully above the customers. ”Haven’t seen you got a while. Still working for Mike?”

“I’ll only leave when the guy closes the place for good.” The blonde man replied. Truth be told, this new manager had been trying to get Danny to work for him for the past two months or so.

The brown-haired manager didn’t say anything in return - they both knew already - but instead offered that same genuine smile as he looked between Danny and the man accompanying him.

”Who’s your handsome friend? And… What can I get you guys?”

“Mm… Whatever whiskey ya recommend. Double.” Danny answered, but very glad that things were going okay, casting his own small smile at Steve. “What’s ya poison?”

Darkleather

Steve looked on as Danny talked to his friend - as usual it was always a bit odd on these occasions and he was never sure exactly what to say and do.

When he was asked what he want, he leant forward and offered the manager his hand "Steve, I'm Steve."

He raised an eyebrow as Danny proposed starting on the whisky.  "Something tamer for me - just a beer, please."

Steve looked around and then turned to Danny.  "This your regular haunt then?"

Mirath

”Nice to meet you, Steve. I’m Wayne.” The manager greeted as he shook Steve’s hand with an enthusiastic grip before he shook his head at Danny almost playfully at his order before he went to go and grab the bottle of amber liquid that he had taken a liking to over the years, before using his free had to grab a bottle of paler beer for the broad-looking Steve.

”You two here to play, or just drinking?” Wayne asked in curiosity as he handed the two men their drinks, looking between the blonde barman and the cropped-ginger of Steve. Danny looked over at Steve with that same challenging grin as he wrapped his hand around the glass that Wayne had pushed into it.

“I think Wayne wants to put on a bet.” He laughed before he took a sip of his drink, the fire helping to keep him awake and alert.

Darkleather

Steve raised his bottle to salute the two men.  "A bet, eh?  What sort of bet?"

He paused

"Because, I don't have much ready cash so I'm not one for gambling money."