The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Started by Inkidu, January 11, 2011, 09:06:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nadir

I've been noticing some strange symbols carved into the front of a few buildings. Anyone have any idea what they're for?

Falanor

Quote from: Eden on November 16, 2011, 08:03:56 AM
I've been noticing some strange symbols carved into the front of a few buildings. Anyone have any idea what they're for?

Possibly thief guild symbols.  If you joined the guild there's a book with them all in it to tell you their meaning.

Nadir

Ahh, I'v not gotten that far yet. Thank you!

Hemingway

Hmm. I think I know what I must do. I need to start over! Light armor, one-handed weapons, block, archery, smithing, alchemy ... those'll be my skills. Well, I might not put any perks into alchemy, but ... I do like mixing things. It's good fun. Good money, too.

Shjade

Quote from: Callie Del Noire on November 15, 2011, 05:04:21 PM
Don't suppose anyone knows where I can get Bound Bow? With conjuring and a high stealth I'm considering ditching my soul reaping bow for one.

According to the wiki: "Bound Bow is an Adept-level Conjuration spell in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. It can be purchased wherever Conjuration spells are sold, so long as the player has a Conjuration skill of 50 or higher."

So get 50+ Conjuration, go to the mage college in Whitehold and check Phineas' books. If anyone will be selling it, he's sure to have it.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

mannik

Oh how I wish I would have gotten some of those speech perks...I have a major problem with my inventory filling up, and nobody having enough money to buy all my junk. Even my shitty little enchanted rings I make just to grind skills are too valuable for them to afford more than three. Which means lots of moving between cities to free up space before I can dive into that next dungeon.

At level 40 its going to be a while before my next few perk points.

Shjade

I need about 15 more speech points to get Fence so I can sell all the stuff I've pickpocketed. It's filling up the chest in my house at the moment. XD

It's amazing how fast you level up if you focus on non-combat skills. My mage has about twice the played hours of my stealth/smith/speech-focused character, but she's only level 21 while the stealther is already 37 and wearing orcish/dragonbone armor. (Protip: if you want to level up smithing, just mass up leather. Everything you make gives the same amount of skill experience, so you can make a whole bunch of leather bracers and skyrocket your skill on the cheap.) Has a harder time killing fast-moving targets, particularly dragons, since she doesn't have access to mega-damage fireball rockets that have such a large margin of error on aiming, but still fairly fun to use.
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Inkidu

I don't think it's that something levels faster. The higher the skill the slower it levels. The lower the skill the faster. I think it has to do more with how easy it is to use stealth skills over the crafting skills or combat.

Stealth is pretty much always on. You rarely have to go out of your way to do it. Combat requires combat, and crafting requires a station. Plus are you taking into account any guardian stones you're under?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

mannik

Quote from: Shjade on November 16, 2011, 02:58:56 PM
It's amazing how fast you level up if you focus on non-combat skills. My mage has about twice the played hours of my stealth/smith/speech-focused character, but she's only level 21 while the stealther is already 37 and wearing orcish/dragonbone armor. (Protip: if you want to level up smithing, just mass up leather. Everything you make gives the same amount of skill experience, so you can make a whole bunch of leather bracers and skyrocket your skill on the cheap.) Has a harder time killing fast-moving targets, particularly dragons, since she doesn't have access to mega-damage fireball rockets that have such a large margin of error on aiming, but still fairly fun to use.

The way I've been doing it is mining silver/gold, smelt a bunch of ingots, and then craft a crap ton of rings. Like you said, same amount of xp for everything you craft. Plus, I now have a bunch of lightweight disposable items I can enchant and kill two birds with one stone. Enchanting seems to be the same in that every enchant is the same xp, regardless of the item/effect/soul involved.

Just gotta do a bit of dungeon crawling to get the gems and souls to enchant with.

Hemingway

Getting to 100 smithing was hard, but worth it. Dragonbone armor looks amazing. I'm willing to sacrifice those few points of armor for looking the part of the badass dragon slayer.

mannik

I'm almost there...80 something smithing and enchanting right now....oh the bad assed equipment I shall make when I hit 100 on both!

Hemingway

I've been doing some more enchanting after I .. uh, figured out how it worked. Problem is I can't seem to find equipment with the enchants I need: I want to make my armor fire-proof!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on November 16, 2011, 05:15:00 PM
I've been doing some more enchanting after I .. uh, figured out how it worked. Problem is I can't seem to find equipment with the enchants I need: I want to make my armor fire-proof!
Look in armor, clothing, and jewelry shops. You might have to splurge on a piece of equipment to find the enchantment you want, and remember, don't buy the most expensive version if there's a weaker, cheaper item. You get the enchantment regardless. I wish I had thought about going into one of the crafting trees, but I'm just kind of using them to make stuff to sell at this point for speech no real perks.

It's said you can go all the way up to level fifty regularly, and beyond at a hampered rate... I wonder if someone's trying to get all the skills?
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Cold Heritage

I think it is kind of bull that daedric gives you better armour value than dragon armours given that dragon is higher up the chain and requires more smithing and doesn't let you make weapons - I really hope they do release some dragon weapons, because I know I would love to stab someone with a giant dragonhorn sword. And I really dig the dragon helm. I've been outfitting my battle waifus with dragonplate gear. It is an honourable path.
Thank you, fellow Elliquiyan, and have a wonderful day.

Hemingway

Well, lore-wise it does make sense. I guess. Sort of. It's hard to tell given how convoluted and ( intentionally ) ambiguous everything is in the Elder Scrolls, but Daedra are practically gods. Can't die, at any rate.

I am slightly puzzled by the way Daedric equipment is made. I seem to recall it being said in Oblivion that Daedric equipment is an actual Daedra trapped in the form of a piece of equipment, and no mention of them being made from ebony. In Skyrim, you need Daedra hearts, but unless that contains the spirit of a Daedra, I just don't see how those are consistent.

Braioch

-snorts-

Finally settled on a Dark Elf with Destruction, One Handed and Light Armor.

I love what they've done with the effects of magic in this game. Also am kinda loving the dragon fights, except for when they don't fight me, just roar and fly around so I chase them yelling insults about their parentage as they ignore me.

Or...you know, when I'm trying to do the Azura quest and the dragon attacks me and the worshiper there. Mountainside fight with assistance, that was pretty amusing.
I'm also on Discord (like, all the time), so feel free to ask about that if you want

[tr]
   [td]
[/td]
   [td]
[/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

Samael

This is how my character looks right now.
It's the Nightingale armor. You get it if you complete the thieves guild storyline.
Bad. Ass.

(need to find out how to take screenshots, then I can post an actual pic of my char, but it's that armor)

I am so happy I went for being a stealthy assassin/rogue dark elf this time around.
On & Offs | My Games | Apologies & Absences | Tumblr
Et comme des fleurs de glace, on grandit dans la nuit
La lumière nous efface, dans la noirceur on vit
Comme des fleurs de glace, on rêve et on reste unis
Des fleurs au cœur de l'insomnie

"Eisblume - Fleurs De Glace"

meikle

the print screen button takes screenshots if you're playing on PC!

after getting bored of my dual-wielding sneaky warrior killing everything in one power attack, i started over as a pure spellcaster (no weapons) on Master difficulty.  now i have to do obnoxious things like 'remember to go back there when i'm a higher level'.
Kiss your lover with that filthy mouth, you fuckin' monster.

O and O and Discord
A and A

Nadir

Quote from: Samael on November 16, 2011, 11:22:57 PM
This is how my character looks right now.
It's the Nightingale armor. You get it if you complete the thieves guild storyline.
Bad. Ass.

(need to find out how to take screenshots, then I can post an actual pic of my char, but it's that armor)

I am so happy I went for being a stealthy assassin/rogue dark elf this time around.

Hnnnnnng

Inkidu

I guess it's an Elder Scrolls game, so it has to give off this vibe.

It's easy to get into the game and realize that ten levels in you've probably screwed up your character, but at least Skyrim gives you fifty levels to work it out in instead of Oblivion's (unofficial) twenty. :P

Hemingway

A problem I seem to have with these games is that things always seem to progress too fast, and at some point you just have more equipment and gold than you know what to do with. I wish there was more of a challenge to getting new armor and improving your equipment.

Cold Heritage

I have more junk than I know what to do with because vendors don't have enough money for me to sell all the stuff I pick up.

I am also enjoying becoming a thane in cities and getting myself my own house and a housecarl. I enjoy outfitting them with nicer gear, although when I leave and come back they are back in their default steel armour. :| I didn't spend hours over a hot forge making you legendary equipment so you could wear commoner plebtrash steel armour!

Tsenta

I feel leveling early on is too easy but it slows down majorly. So far I love this game except for the assorted rat or undead leaping at me from the shadows.  The NPC movement/behaviors feel a bit clunky and it lags any time a quest starts up so I hope we're in for a handful of patches.
There ain't no rest for the wicked.

[Sic Semper Tyrannis - "Thus always to tyrants"] - Marcus Junius Brutus The Younger.

Cold Heritage

Dark Brotherhood will soon be crushed underneath my heel. Feels good, man.