What are you playing? [SPOILER TAGS PLEASE]

Started by Sabby, May 31, 2009, 12:45:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on November 05, 2011, 08:24:29 PM
I already bought Skyrim.

I hope Steam lets me preload soon.
I bought it and I get an honest to God cloth map. It reminds me of being a kid, those old RPGs.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on November 05, 2011, 08:28:35 PM
I bought it and I get an honest to God cloth map. It reminds me of being a kid, those old RPGs.

I got the Oblivion collector's edition, and I managed to misplace the neat things I got with it. After that disappointment, I stick with stuff I can't misplace. xD

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on November 05, 2011, 08:35:52 PM
I got the Oblivion collector's edition, and I managed to misplace the neat things I got with it. After that disappointment, I stick with stuff I can't misplace. xD
I've still got the coin from my Oblivion box. I can't misplace that thing if I tried.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Wolfy

I'm getting the Skyrim collector's edition. I don't think I can misplace a Foot-tall dragon statue. @_@

Juicy

Dead Island.

Haaaaaayah!!! Take that zombie.

zemo8801

Dead rising 2, Dead island, bfbd 2, black ops and Mvc3.

Also many different Mame games right now.
Ons and Offs
DarkAngel  " Goof Ball "
Happy Owner of His Snowflake
Z crypt of ideas

Inkidu

Quote from: Wolfy on November 05, 2011, 09:34:30 PM
I'm getting the Skyrim collector's edition. I don't think I can misplace a Foot-tall dragon statue. @_@
*Wolfy a week after Skyrim comes out* Hey! Has anyone seen Alduin anywhere? I seem to have misplaced him.

Wolfy

Psh. I'll be keeping that thing above my bed. :P

Also picked up MW3

Hemingway

Quote from: Wolfy on November 08, 2011, 01:40:33 AM
Also picked up MW3

Me too.

For some reason, I can't help but feel Activision is laughing all the way to the bank. At suckers like me. It's a game that there wasn't really a need for ( I have BF3 which, although it's far more fun if you're playing with someone as a team, manages to keep me busy for hours, and Skyrim is coming in like two days ), but I knew I'd get it eventually so I just caved and prepurchased. I did get CoD4 for free, so that's sort of sweet. I had it already, but not on Steam, which does make it easier.

Still. I got it for the campaign, mostly. I want to fantasize about Soap and Price. I have no doubt I'll play through the probably four-hour campaign before Skyrim comes out. Heck, maybe I'll manage before work today ( I leave in two hours ).

Edit: After playing the first mission, here are my thoughts ... well, actually, this isn't actually a surprise, because it was obvious from the screenshots and trailers. But, yeah ... MW3 somehow manages to look worse than MW2. I'm not sure if it's that the graphics are actually worse, or just that they haven't improved in two years or however long it's been, but ... well, they certainly can't compare to Battlefield 3. Considering groundbreaking graphics was one of the selling points of CoD4, this is sort of a problem. Also, the first mission takes place in NYC, which ... has never looked so drab. I mean, Modern Warfare basically invented gritty lack of color in games, but this is just ... brown. Crysis 2 did it so well. Heck, Battlefield 3 is a mess of color by comparison.

Edit 2: I forgot to mention that the game still manages to capture that awesome Modern Warfare atmosphere, where you feel like a badass commando doing badass commando things. Still, I've been pretty forgiving in the past - it's not supposed to be realistic, it's supposed to be this over-the-top Tom Clancy world of clandestine operations and such ... but they have to explain this one to me: attacking a warehouse in London, then chasing terrorists through the London underground. On a train. With a car. I mean, there's an all-out war in London apparently, but ... no, I just don't get it.

Also, as expected, campaign is 34% complete at just under two hours. Knowing that those things are never accurate, I probably have 2-3 hours left. Now, I do play multiplayer, so I'll still get another 20+ hours out of it, depending on how good it is ... but still, what ever happened to long campaigns? I mean, I'd love it if it were twice as long, or even three times, so that means they've done something right!

Inkidu

Funny story:

I was playing Arkham City (Joker's funhouse DLC) as Catwoman. I like her because she's fast and with the freeflow-focus speed boost she can literally kick someone when they're halfway through their attack sometimes. So my brother walks in and makes a crack about me really wanting to be a woman (In true brother fashion, I don't think he cares just trying to get my goat. He plays the game too)

I finish the course with one medal and my brother says, "Why don't you ever play it as Batman?"
Me: "Because I would be too awesome."
Skeptical look from my brother.

So I load up a dark-knight run and get two medals on my first try. (The three-medal score is a million points so cut me some slack).

Case and point.

Hemingway

Reviews of MW3 are trickling in. To absolutely nobody's surprise, it's getting plenty of high scores. 90s and up. Allow me to repeat myself: I hate reviewers, and they cannot be trusted.

You know who I trust? Probably the biggest gaming site in Norway. They gave it a 70/100 score. Now that's an honest review of the game.

I tried out some multiplayer just to see how it feels, and ... it didn't take me more than two rounds to realize that I'd rather be playing BF3. To me, there's just no fun in having a guy run past you, and just because he managed to twitch and hit his knife button, you died.

Sabby

What pisses me off is MW3 and BF3 are in a multiplayer pissing match and between all the venom flying back and forth no one is saying anything about the singleplayer mode, which is all I care about >.> the multiplayer mode can go sit and spin for all I care.

Hemingway

I'm trying out both. I hadn't tried BF3 SP yet, but ... well, I only got a few minutes in - it's late and I absolutely have to watch House before going to bed. BUT. I can tell you this much: MW3 is, like I said, the Tom Clancy world of clandestine operations, hardened professional commando soldiers, and so on. BF3 .. at least as far as I got, feels more like Generation Kill. Instead of badass commandos whose only modes of communication are calm-and-collected-while-shit-is-going-down or punctuating every word, BF3's characters feel like fairly regular marines who talk crap.

Gameplay-wise, it's hard to say. MW3 is more of the same. My main complaint there is that guns basically feel ineffective and very similar ( all guns apparently sound the same, and just feel unnatural ), and it takes an age to kill someone unless you score a lucky headshot .. which isn't so hard, considering enemies like to stand around. One complaint I've heard leveled against BF3's singleplayer is that it's too heavily scripted. I wouldn't know if that's the case, but if it is, for me that's not a problem. I rarely play games more than once or twice.

MP really is where it's at, though. BF3 does it well because it's not about getting kills and having the best reflexes and being able to twitch the fastest. It's not realistic the way, say, Red Orchestra or ARMA is, but there's way more emphasis on teamwork, on covering your buddies, and basically playing intelligently.

Edit: Skyrim is read for pre-load on Steam! In ... *counts on fingers* ... 46 hours, I'll be playing it!

Sabby

Great. Just checked, and my PC can't run recommended settings for Skyrim. I just bought the fucking thing! Adding it up, and my CPU and Graphics Card already need an upgrade, so that's a few hundred there, and apparently, they didn't tell me my operating system would restrict my Ram, so even if I get a few gigs of DDR3, it's not guna be able to use them, so it's fork over a few hundred for Windows 7 62bit (or 32, I don't remember what the dude said) or risk a pirated copy, which can, and has, fucked up my previous computers, and may or may not work with the rest of my parts.

So, it's get the game on Xbox 360, which is looking more appealing right now, or have the better controls (shut up >.> I will kill you) and inferior graphics.

The meter on Can You Run It has me one third of the way from Minimum to Recommended. Oh well, I've played worse. Just guna have to deal with it.

Hemingway

Oh, the Master Race of Gaming is mainly for FPSs, really.

What are your computer's specs, though?

Sabby

Andronica

I'm trying Dragon Age 2 and jumping back into Guild Wars to kill some time and keep me from trying a WoW private server again. I'm going cold turkey with Blizzard. Fortunately Skyrim is launching on friday, yay! That, and Guild Wars 2 will hopefully be out by next April at the latest. c:

Bayushi

Quote from: Sabby on November 08, 2011, 08:29:06 PMGreat. Just checked, and my PC can't run recommended settings for Skyrim. I just bought the fucking thing! Adding it up, and my CPU and Graphics Card already need an upgrade, so that's a few hundred there, and apparently, they didn't tell me my operating system would restrict my Ram, so even if I get a few gigs of DDR3, it's not guna be able to use them, so it's fork over a few hundred for Windows 7 62bit (or 32, I don't remember what the dude said) or risk a pirated copy, which can, and has, fucked up my previous computers, and may or may not work with the rest of my parts.
I'm also somewhere in between minimum and recommended, Sabby.

It recommends a better video card (which I own, but can't install >.<). It wants a video card with at least 1GB of VRAM (My current has 752.1 mb (?!)), and the video card I'd love to upgrade with has 2GB. Unfortunately, the 2GB card I have is somewhat too long, and would either push down or break off a capacitor on the motherboard, neither of which is ideal.

I'm also doubting my Power Supply would manage the card, a Radeon HD 5870 (Eyefinity6) from XfX. Currently using a no-name Radeon HD 5570 that came with this gutless wonder I was barely able to afford.

Finally, it's 64 bit, not 62 bit. 64 bit Windows 7 is actually a very stable and good OS, though some 32 bit apps have trouble running in a 64 bit environment (*cough* World of Warcraft *cough*).

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on November 08, 2011, 08:47:19 PM
Oh, the Master Race of Gaming is mainly for FPSs, really.
The amount of irony in this statement is mind-blowing. :D

I'm playing Skyrim... in my dreams. No literally, in my dreams. Come on Friday!

SinXAzgard21

Quote from: Inkidu on November 09, 2011, 05:04:59 PM

I'm playing Skyrim... in my dreams. No literally, in my dreams. Come on Friday!

I am pretty much getting it for free, I'm turning in games that I didn't spend any money on and store credit that I've had for a long while.  I care not about the collector edition, I just wanna play the damn game.
If you know me personally, you know how to contact me.

Hemingway

Quote from: Inkidu on November 09, 2011, 05:04:59 PM

I ... I fail to see the irony.

Also. I've played some more MW3 MP and ... no, no, it's still pretty lame, but ... I sort of understand and remember what's so addictive about it. It's all the sounds! All the points! RANK UP! LEVEL UP! UNLOCKED THIS OR THAT! BOOM! POW!

Inkidu

Quote from: Hemingway on November 09, 2011, 05:49:34 PM
I ... I fail to see the irony.

Also. I've played some more MW3 MP and ... no, no, it's still pretty lame, but ... I sort of understand and remember what's so addictive about it. It's all the sounds! All the points! RANK UP! LEVEL UP! UNLOCKED THIS OR THAT! BOOM! POW!
Disclaimer, if I explain it it's not going to be funny anymore.

The gaming master race is the PC, but it's only mainly for FPSs... but shouldn't a master race anything be better for or at everything? Irony explained; joke ruined.  :D

Sabby

I thought the irony was that the strength of the Master Race was the same thing they make fun of us Barbarians for... too many dumb shooters.

Inkidu

Quote from: Sabby on November 09, 2011, 07:11:29 PM
I thought the irony was that the strength of the Master Race was the same thing they make fun of us Barbarians for... too many dumb shooters.
Hey, you are allowed multiple levels of irony. :)

Sabby

Quote from: Gamezone.com, and about the only legit looking report I could find after an hour of hair rippingly frustrating Googling :/Yesterday it was announced that fans who purchase Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim would be able to pre-load the game in anticipation of it's launch on November 11, thought the start date is still uncertain.

That's not the only thing uncertain though.  There seems to be some confusion as to when the actual Skyrim game will be unlocked on Steam.  In various countries, Steam is giving different unlock times for when players can actually start playing the game, contradicting Pete Hines earlier statements that Skyrim will release at 12:01 am local time.  Of course, this is causing mass confusion amongst gamers in different countries.

Today, Pete Hines, VP of PR and Marketing at Bethesda, has attempted to squash rumors and end speculation/confusion by publicly announcing "All of the steam countdown clocks are currently wrong."  So nobody really knows what times.  Hines explained that the Steam release "will be local time" meaning EVERY time zone gets it's individual 12:01 am release.

Ok perfect.  So it will release hour by hour across the world.  Not so fast, Hines latest Tweet seems to have caused even more confusion.  "Steam is going to unlock every hour on the hour for all the various time zones? Ever steam game I've gotten is usually 12 am PST," explained a Twitter follower.

Hines promptly responded, "one for oz, one for UK/Europe, one for US (EST is planned), etc."  Wait...WHAT!?  That would mean if Skyrim releases at 12:01 am  EST, folks on the west coast would have access to the game at 9pm PST on November 10th!  I wasn't the only one shocked by this.  When asked by a fan "Holy sh*t did you just announce 9pm PST on 11/10?" Hines immediately responded, "that's what we are working on."

Now, here's the question...what exactly are they working on?  Making it so each time zone will release at 12:01 am?  Or making it so the US will have one time zone release?

One thing is for certain, the Skyrim countdown clocks are wrong, and no one really has any idea at this point.

Confused? I certainly elephant. Also, while looking for this, I stumbled upon, and thusly screenshot...