What's in the news?

Started by Beorning, September 21, 2014, 07:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beorning

Quote from: Lilias on September 07, 2016, 11:18:37 AM
Nothing wrong with shops being closed on Sunday. Just because some people need to work on the day (police, hospital staff, emergency responders) doesn't mean everyone should.

True, but the proposed bill doesn't try to stop Sunday-working for *everyone*. There are a lot of people here who work on Sundays and nobody is saying anything about making a law that helps them. Heck, *I* work on Sundays - at a bank helpline. Does the proposed bill make Sundays free for people like me? No.

That's why I think that this whole bill is not about people, but about religion. "People going shopping on Sunday? Blasphemy! Let's ban this!"...  >:(

Lilias

Quote from: Beorning on September 07, 2016, 11:34:53 AM
True, but the proposed bill doesn't try to stop Sunday-working for *everyone*. There are a lot of people here who work on Sundays and nobody is saying anything about making a law that helps them. Heck, *I* work on Sundays - at a bank helpline. Does the proposed bill make Sundays free for people like me? No.

That's why I think that this whole bill is not about people, but about religion. "People going shopping on Sunday? Blasphemy! Let's ban this!"...  >:(

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Some people do have to work Sundays (and holidays, and nights, and...), because some lines of work - like healthcare and law enforcement - are never off duty. Retail is not one of those.

(Most helplines, in both countries where I've lived, are off not only Sundays, but Saturdays as well. Your case is one of exploitation, not something that should be the norm.)
To go in the dark with a light is to know the light.
To know the dark, go dark. Go without sight,
and find that the dark, too, blooms and sings,
and is traveled by dark feet and dark wings.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Oniya

Actually, when I worked tech support, we were 7 days a week.  Any individual only worked five days, but you had some people working Tuesday through Saturday, and some working Sunday through Thursday.  We also had staggered shifts to cover as much of the day as possible from the Eastern Time Zone (considering it was a nation-wide company.)  When we expanded call centers to other locations, I'm pretty sure we got up to 24/7 (although if you called in at midnight on the East Coast, you would likely get the call center on the West Coast.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

Beorning

Quote from: Lilias on September 07, 2016, 11:51:55 AM
Perhaps I wasn't clear enough. Some people do have to work Sundays (and holidays, and nights, and...), because some lines of work - like healthcare and law enforcement - are never off duty. Retail is not one of those.

Oh, I agree. And if the proposed law dealt with all the lines of work that don't have to be on duty on Sunday, I wouldn't have that much problem with it.

(Most helplines, in both countries where I've lived, are off not only Sundays, but Saturdays as well. Your case is one of exploitation, not something that should be the norm.)

I'm not sure I'd call that exploitation, but it is inconvenient. And again, I'm not saying that this *should* be the norm - I'm only saying that hitting just retail with these restrictions smacks of religious motivation. Heck, I've heard one archbishop actually admit that this is the reason Church supports these proposed regulations...

RedRose

I was going to post this but something similar has already been posted.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-07/paris-notre-dame-bomb-scare-as-gas-cylinders-found-in-car/7824410
It is really surreal... Churches, Eurodisney, Tower Eiffel, synagogues, shops, you now have security looking inside your purse everywhere.
O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]

Aethereal

Quote from: Lilias on September 07, 2016, 11:18:37 AM
Nothing wrong with shops being closed on Sunday. In Greece, this has pretty much always been the case, with the food industry and tourist services during the season being notable exceptions.
I have been to places where even the food services close down... It can be a literal pain if you get stationed in those regions and have to work odd times... I have had to go without food, or practically without food (or some other items that I needed) aplenty because it was physically impossible to obtain them before (security reasons) and then the shops and restaurants were closed, too. All of them. Even the McDonald's.

Lilias

Quote from: Shienvien on September 07, 2016, 02:11:46 PM
        I have been to places where even the food services close down... It can be a literal pain if you get stationed in those regions and have to work odd times... I have had to go without food, or practically without food (or some other items that I needed) aplenty because it was physically impossible to obtain them before (security reasons) and then the shops and restaurants were closed, too. All of them. Even the McDonald's.

It annoys me to no end how early shops close in the UK. If you're not a pub aficionado, you can't even get a cup of coffee after 6-7pm. I laughed out loud, in the middle of the street, when a local department store started advertising 'Late Night Shopping - Wednesdays open until 7.30!' Half of the year that's not even dark, let alone late night... and I grew up with all shops open until 8-8.30pm. 'Late night' in my book is at least midnight.

When I first came to the UK, for a stint of college with my graduant university class, none of us was prepared for that. Seeing the town centre empty and shuttered at 6pm (high noon in July) was downright creepy.
~Wendell Berry

Double Os <> Double As (updated Feb 20) <> The Hoard <> 50 Tales 2024 <> The Lab <> ELLUIKI

Beguile's Mistress

When I lived with my grandparents growing up our town and those around us were like that.  Small town country living without much of a tourist trade can get away with it.  Most places closed by 5:00 or 6:00 pm except on Fridays.  That was the late night and stores stayed open until 9:00 pm.  It might still be that way these days.

Out near the highway there were restaurants and shops that catered to those passing through: art galleries, antique shops, a couple old-fashioned 5 and 10's and book stores.  A truck stop had a convenience store.  All of that was open on weekends and late into the evening.

gaggedLouise

Quote from: Lilias on September 07, 2016, 02:28:53 PM
It annoys me to no end how early shops close in the UK. If you're not a pub aficionado, you can't even get a cup of coffee after 6-7pm. I laughed out loud, in the middle of the street, when a local department store started advertising 'Late Night Shopping - Wednesdays open until 7.30!' Half of the year that's not even dark, let alone late night... and I grew up with all shops open until 8-8.30pm. 'Late night' in my book is at least midnight.

When I first came to the UK, for a stint of college with my graduant university class, none of us was prepared for that. Seeing the town centre empty and shuttered at 6pm (high noon in July) was downright creepy.

Yep, I agree. Food stores and supermarkets here in Sweden often stay open until 9 or 10 pm, as do many cafés, weekends included. Of course, in the summer that's just about the hour of dusk, or not even that (short nights plus daylight savings time pushing sunset even further into the late hours on the clock).

Good girl but bad  -- Proud sister of the amazing, blackberry-sweet Violet Girl

Sometimes bound and cuntrolled, sometimes free and easy 

"I'm a pretty good cook, I'm sitting on my groceries.
Come up to my kitchen, I'll show you my best recipes"

Oniya

Quote from: Lilias on September 07, 2016, 02:28:53 PM

We had our honeymoon in the UK (road-tripping through England, Ireland and Wales, with an all-too-brief daytrip into the very bottom of Scotland).  We had a running joke that the Bed and Breakfasts all went into hiding around 5, and all the towns rolled up their sidewalks soon after.
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Beorning on September 07, 2016, 10:20:57 AM
There are actually surveys for that. IIRC, the data says about 30% - 40% Poles believe in the conspiracy theory. Which is... heart-breaking.  :-(

George Carlin comes to mind: “Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that.”

Quote from: Beorning on September 07, 2016, 10:20:57 AM
Considering the current political situation? I think that this bill might pass, yes...

That's quite horrifying. I had no idea that Poland was still so 'devout'. It's not that I had some picture of secular society in mind whenever I thought of Poland, but for the political climate to still favor religious dogma to such an extent is genuinely surprising to me, as well as disconcerting. I hope it doesn't get passed though, it's the perfect first step towards the Christian equivalent of Sharia Law and we all know how lovely -that- is.
<< Unavailable for New Games >>

Lilias

Quote from: Renegade Vile on September 07, 2016, 03:44:35 PM
That's quite horrifying. I had no idea that Poland was still so 'devout'. It's not that I had some picture of secular society in mind whenever I thought of Poland, but for the political climate to still favor religious dogma to such an extent is genuinely surprising to me, as well as disconcerting.

XD ROFL XD

Yes, all secular substitutes for gods forbid that mindless consumerism take a day a week off.

I hope it doesn't get passed though, it's the perfect first step towards the Christian equivalent of Sharia Law and we all know how lovely -that- is.

We do? Please enlighten us.
~Wendell Berry

Beorning

That's quite horrifying. I had no idea that Poland was still so 'devout'. It's not that I had some picture of secular society in mind whenever I thought of Poland, but for the political climate to still favor religious dogma to such an extent is genuinely surprising to me, as well as disconcerting. I hope it doesn't get passed though, it's the perfect first step towards the Christian equivalent of Sharia Law and we all know how lovely -that- is.

Well, Poland *is* conservative if compared to some other European countries. We have one of the strictest anti-abortion laws in Europe, for once... and still, the Church and some pro-life organisation push for it to be made even stricter.

As for the current political climate, it's PiS who rules this country nowadays - and these people are very conservative and very pro-Church. And they do follow Catholic dogma when making laws. For example, they cancelled the  government-sponsored program of free IV fertilization for pairs with fertility problems. Why? They won't say it outloud, but it's mostly because of Catholic dogma considering the IVF immoral...

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lilias on September 07, 2016, 04:15:13 PM
XD ROFL XD

Yes, all secular substitutes for gods forbid that mindless consumerism take a day a week off.

Don't have a problem with curbing mindless consumerism. A lot of places are closed on Sunday in Belgium, for example, but no-one is forcing anyone to do that, nor will anyone be thrown in jail for two years if they do ask their employees to show up. Additionally, a lot of people prefer shifts over a set day anyway, depends on how you schedule your week.

Quote from: Lilias on September 07, 2016, 04:15:13 PM
We do? Please enlighten us.

Look up some women and LGBT "rights" under Sharia Law. Then take a look at what Christian extremists want to implement straight out of the oldest, most antiquated parts of the Bible. Similarities are rather striking.

Quote from: Beorning on September 07, 2016, 04:31:15 PM
Well, Poland *is* conservative if compared to some other European countries. We have one of the strictest anti-abortion laws in Europe, for once... and still, the Church and some pro-life organisation push for it to be made even stricter.

As for the current political climate, it's PiS who rules this country nowadays - and these people are very conservative and very pro-Church. And they do follow Catholic dogma when making laws. For example, they cancelled the  government-sponsored program of free IV fertilization for pairs with fertility problems. Why? They won't say it outloud, but it's mostly because of Catholic dogma considering the IVF immoral...

There's conservative and there's bible-thumping. Though I suppose in a lot of places the two may as well be identical.

Lilias

Quote from: Renegade Vile on September 07, 2016, 04:51:27 PM
Look up some women and LGBT "rights" under Sharia Law. Then take a look at what Christian extremists want to implement straight out of the oldest, most antiquated parts of the Bible. Similarities are rather striking.

The closest thing to Sharia law that the West (Europe, in particular) has seen was secular. Look up Communism. (France very recently comes uncomfortably close, too.)
~Wendell Berry

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lilias on September 07, 2016, 04:54:53 PM
The closest thing to Sharia law that the West (Europe, in particular) has seen was secular. Look up Communism. (France very recently comes uncomfortably close, too.)

Where did I say that this "version" already existed? I was just stating that Christianity could reach the same extreme if left unchecked. Not really sure what you're on about.

EDIT: if this is what confused you, the "and we all know how lovely that is" was referring to Sharia Law, not a hypothetical Christian equivalent.

Lilias

Projections like 'X developed so under such circumstances, therefore Y will do the same' are not really reliable. :P

Honestly, I'm not overly concerned by Christian extremists. History has shown repeatedly that such get regularly culled. Nationalist extremists, now, those are a whole different ball game.
~Wendell Berry

Renegade Vile

Quote from: Lilias on September 07, 2016, 05:06:48 PM
Projections like 'X developed so under such circumstance, therefore Y will do the same' are not really reliable. :P

Honestly, I'm not overly concerned by Christian extremists. History has shown repeatedly that such get regularly culled. Nationalist extremists, now, those are a whole different ball game.

I still don't really know what you're on about. Christian extremists want what they want, so it will develop in certain way if allowed to. Whether it is likely to or not is irrelevant to the point I was making.

As for being concerned about them, I'm not concerned about them in Western Europe, any power in their hands has largely slipped away. In Belgium, for example, even the primary Catholic party, which remains one of the larger, barely has anything to do with the Church anymore and only really keeps the moniker to keep the approval of older generations who are still extremely fervent proponents of that party. However, I don't know much about them in countries like Poland, so to see them have so much influence does concern me, same for what insane people like creationists are sneakily doing in some American states.
As for national extremists: agreed, those are far more effective in getting what they want done and are much more pressing concern. Doesn't mean we shouldn't at least keep half an eye on religious extremism.

TaintedAndDelish

I found this clip on-line while trying to see if there was any information about the "Clinton Cough".  At first I noticed that Hillary did not actually drink the water out of the glass - which I thought was rather odd. After looking at the video very closely several times, I suddenly realized why.

Yuck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFk5cbI2qY

You can see two lumps falling into the glass if you look closely. I'm not sure if this is real or fake though given how quickly the lumps sink..
Notice too that in the second clip where she has a coughing fit on the plane, she does not drink the water that's given to her. She walks out of view of the camera with the water instead.

edit:  Actually, you can see this clearly in the video below taken directly from nbcnews.com
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/hillary-clinton-struggles-fight-back-coughing-attack-n643026

If still unsure, use the google link, go full screen and slow down the speed to 0.5 or 0.25

The only question I have now is whether or not you can make a reasonable guess at what that yellow thing was given the rate at which it sank. I'm left wondering if mucus would sink that quickly or if perhaps it's something else like lung tissue or something. It just seems odd that it sank so fast.

Lustful Bride

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on September 07, 2016, 08:21:16 PM
I found this clip on-line while trying to see if there was any information about the "Clinton Cough".  At first I noticed that Hillary did not actually drink the water out of the glass - which I thought was rather odd. After looking at the video very closely several times, I suddenly realized why.

Yuck!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NFk5cbI2qY

You can see two lumps falling into the glass if you look closely. I'm not sure if this is real or fake though given how quickly the lumps sink..
Notice too that in the second clip where she has a coughing fit on the plane, she does not drink the water that's given to her. She walks out of view of the camera with the water instead.

edit:  Actually, you can see this clearly in the video below taken directly from nbcnews.com
http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016-election/hillary-clinton-struggles-fight-back-coughing-attack-n643026

If still unsure, use the google link, go full screen and slow down the speed to 0.5 or 0.25

The only question I have now is whether or not you can make a reasonable guess at what that yellow thing was given the rate at which it sank. I'm left wondering if mucus would sink that quickly or if perhaps it's something else like lung tissue or something. It just seems odd that it sank so fast.

Can't tell if chewing tobacco or big wad of gum?

Oniya

TaintedAndDelish

That would explain the fast sinking, but I wouldn't be spitting them out if I was having a coughing fit.  Hell, I'd keep both of them in.

Valerian

Quote from: TaintedAndDelish on September 07, 2016, 08:55:19 PM
That would explain the fast sinking, but I wouldn't be spitting them out if I was having a coughing fit.  Hell, I'd keep both of them in.
I can barely tolerate most cough drops myself -- anything mentholated is too strong for me and no matter how much I'm coughing and need the help I can only keep them in my mouth for a few minutes at best.  Maybe she's the same way.
"To live honorably, to harm no one, to give to each his due."
~ Ulpian, c. 530 CE

Oniya

Yeah, but there's a certain 'yuck factor' of seeing someone put something back in their mouth.  And I've had at least one coughing fit in my life where the cough drop I had in for prevention decided to make an unplanned exit.  At that point, your options are limited.

I might ask an aide for a fresh one, though.

I wouldn't think that actual tissue would be yellowish - more likely pink or even red.  Loogies, on the other hand (and post nasal drip can give you those with a vengeance!) - right color and not something to put back in your mouth.   :-X

Just looking for horses instead of zebras, yannow?

RedRose

O/O and ideas - write if you'd be a good Aaron Warner (Juliette) [Shatter me], Tarkin (Leia), Wilkins (Faith) [Buffy the VS]
[what she reading: 50 TALES A YEAR]