Pulp Sci-Fi, Firefly-esque. Ship Crew. Small group -- {interest check}

Started by Joel, August 22, 2015, 05:48:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joel

Quote from: Amarlo on August 24, 2015, 05:55:11 PM
Judging by how things seem to be going, when you say first come first serve are you saying positions are only reserved upon completetion and approval of a character bio? Because as you can see I've been more interested in asking questions and getting a full feel for the setting rather than shitting out a rapid fire character...  Will I be losing my position if I take my time? o.O

You shouldn't feel competitive.  At the moment the XO position is still open and no one else has expressed an interest in it (though I did make that role to suit your character idea).  There's quite a bit of fluidity in ship roles and like I said, it's reasonable to have redundancy in critical posts.  From my angle I'm also talking with people in PM as they feed me character ideas to sorta shuffle people around if I have to.  It's really the same thing the captain character would do if like eight pilots volunteered and he only needed two at most.  He wouldn't say no to all eight of them since they would of course have other skills.

Quote from: RubySlippers on August 24, 2015, 05:46:10 PM
I agree but communication between ships, handling coded information and other vital duties would be quite likely especially under adverse space conditions that what one lovely LT did in Star Trek and was important translation was actually secondary with translation computers but its likely she'll be a qualified person in linguistics as well.

Sorry Ruby but you must have missed some information in the title post.  The mission doesn't anticipate meeting any other ships to communicate with and there are no aliens in this setting except the Phage, and it's not entirely clear if the Phage is even sentient.  But if your character is a communications officer from the Fleet and she volunteered for the mission, I'm sure the captain would find something for her to do.  Anyway have another look at the game info and let me know what your thoughts are.

Aiden

Rotochron

Excellent wordplay Aiden.

So I posted my character in the Cast section, if anyone wants plots with my guy just lemme know!
Mrgrgr!!

We may not be able to control the wind, but we can always adjust our sails.

My OnOs~! Ideas Thread!

I STARSCREAM AM THE NEW LEADER OF THE DECEPTICONS!

Aiden

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRhg1_BWHwM

My own character was heavily influenced by this video.

This video makes me want to dust off the 360 and play again.

@ Roto - I don't see much in terms of connections, but I think their personalities will clash. Mine is still in the finalizing stages. 

Joel

Here's what we got for the crew so far:

A captain (m) who is the son of the Admiral of the Fleet, young but daring.  There's entitlement going on here, but he's aware of how it seems.

A head of security (m) who's a veteran marine and commando become Fleet marshall (or is it marshal).

The woefully oblivious pilot (m) who just wants to be the best pilot in the universe.

And a chief engineer (f) who so happens to be the daughter of the Admiral and sister to the captain.  Probably enjoys clawing people's eyes out.  But that's me guessing.

---

Of people who have expressed their interest.  The following are slightly more developed ideas:

An XO (f) who's tough as shit from the streets, so to say, become Fleet law enforcement and doesn't take bullshit from anyone.

A ship surgeon (m)...

A master gunner (m?) reminiscent of a particular someone from Moby Dick

and A maybe ship councilor who's a secret pscionic (f)

An older gentleman who's a systems (shield) engineer (m)

---

THERE ARE MANY POSITIONS THAT CAN BE FILLED.
THIS IS FIRST COME FIRST SERVE (but I'll help shuffle people around so people will be included no matter what)
WE NEED MORE FEMALE CHARACTERS (and preferably female players)

---

please share your ideas, thoughts, fears, and joys.  i have wine and booze and other treats.

---

also if anyone's bored ahem, roto, and would like to help me out with some game mechanics... please feel free to make a list of spatial anomalies, planet stuff, random interesting debris fields, etc. etc.  and/or a list for bad things that can happen on the ship like loss of pressure on the bridge, fire in the engine room, toxic gas in the galley.  tinker and I will reformat your ideas into some master table and randomly drawing on items to make ship encounters or disasters.  player input is very welcome.

Yuki

Quote from: Aiden on August 24, 2015, 08:35:36 PM
@Yuki

In before it happens IC,  All hail the Queen of Phage!

Damn... You already found out my sideplot. *grumbles*

Just kidding. ;)

Rotochron

Sure, I can give that a few minutes right now before work actually! Let's see...

-

Cosmic Dust - space is just full of things waiting to kill you, y'know? Dust on Earth-that-Was is just that, dust. Little bits of skin and dried paint and whatnot that clutter up your house and make you look bad to the HOA, but in space? Well, that dust is tiny astroid debris, bits of old spacecraft, potentially dormant Phage genotypes that we've never even heard of before! Assuming it's the first two, cosmic dust whizzes by at over 17,000mph and can easily kill a person or disable a spacecraft if not properly dealt with. Our shields go down for even a -second- and we've got a whole new host of problems to worry about. Not to mention that it's all super sharp and crystalline, so while it's fine enough to stick like flour it'll be rough enough to wear through kevlar gloves!

Space Shock - space is just full of.. wait, let's change this up! Space is -dry-. Solar storms, dusty planetoids and a lack of moisture can all lead to some -crazy- static electricity build up. Think of rubbing your socks on a carpet, except instead of shocking your buddy, you freakin' blow out an engine and send half of the engineering team into shock when their hearts stop from the force of the charge! Good thing we've got shielding technology and atmo-generators on our ship, but if we're ever planetside we'd best be really careful about it eh?

-

More to come, but this guy has to go to work! Later gators!
Mrgrgr!!

My OnOs~! Ideas Thread!

Rotochron

@Joel; heh, positions to be filled. Nice.

-

Alien Flu! - Complete with runny nose, headache and fever, this sort of thing would give the Molly Malone's crew a run for their money if the medical staff didn't know what was causing it! Heck, it could prove the name was prophetic if people ain't up to the task and start droppin' like flies.. Who's gonna help the doctors when they're all down with the plague? Singin' cockles and mussles alive, alive oh. ;)

Metal Fatigue - The Molly Malone's a hell of a ship, sure, gonna see us all the way back to Earth-that-Was so we can stick it to the Phage on their now-home turf, but that doesn't mean she ain't gonna get tired along the way. This kinda thing wears even the best of us out, so how can we neglect ol' Molly in her times of need? There're gonna be broken doohickeys and busted whatsits galore that even the best of us ain't gonna be able to fix all the way, we just gotta know how to patch her up and keep her chuggin' along.
Mrgrgr!!

My OnOs~! Ideas Thread!

Amarlo

Here's a list of things that could possibly happen ^^

Natural Space Hazards

Space static
Heat waves
Micrometeor shower
Cosmic Radiation storms
Cosmic Weather
Plasma Turbulence/'Solar Winds'

Possible Ship Issues
Malfunctions in Systems - Synthetic Gravity, Propulsion, Navigation Algorithms, Life Support, Stasis Chambers, Hatch locks, Compression, Lubrication system, Solar Panels, Plumping, Waste management, etc
Contaminants In Life Supports Circulatory System
Corrupted data files
Risk of premature detonation

(More to possibly come)

Seduce my mind and my body will follow.
Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Rel Mayer

Hey there,

I really dig these kind of settings, so I'm placing my interest. I have been basically rummaging through the thread and seeing what spots were filled, and I prefer playing more basic non-leaderish characters. Is there an updated list of what is still available, or have I just been missing it?

Thanks!

Joel

Quote from: Rel Mayer on August 25, 2015, 04:05:03 PM
Hey there,

I really dig these kind of settings, so I'm placing my interest. I have been basically rummaging through the thread and seeing what spots were filled, and I prefer playing more basic non-leaderish characters. Is there an updated list of what is still available, or have I just been missing it?

Thanks!

Hey There Rei,
I did make this list of what was taken and what people are focused on:
https://elliquiy.com/forums/index.php?topic=235245.msg11578262#msg11578262

There is also a list of expected roles in the Character Directory -- many of which are still unfilled.

Apologies for being purposefully vague about what roles are taken and what roles are needed.  This RP really isn't going to work like other games in that everyone just leaps onto particular spots and it's honkydory after that.  Because of the way the crew originated, volunteers versus recruitment, I think it's awesome to have this crazy grab bag of people with redundant roles.  Motley is the key word.  This stuff is supposed to be messy and figured out as they go.  So yeah there could be a trained surgeon that gets assigned to be a Phage pathologist or mechanic because there's another ship surgeon that volunteered with stronger credentials.  I want the feeling that people are going to try and make themselves useful wherever possible.  The crew by and large -wants- to be there not because they have a job to do but probably because they want to F---ing stick it to the Phage for once.  At least that's my general assumption.  Also people will die people will get incapacitated.  And if the main surgeon gets eaten then well, it's a good thing that this other fellow just so happens to also be trained as a doctor.  Hopefully that makes sense and doesn't totally overwhelm you.

though to answer your question directly there totally are many non-officers.  multiple marines and multiple system engineers

Rel Mayer

Hmmmm!!! I see that there is a possible open spot for a surgeon? I noticed it was mentioned in the post above... so I don't want to step on any toes if that person is interested. I just like the idea of possibly playing a slightly crazed doctor/surgeon.

If not -- I'm guessing you can have basically multiple marines and gunners running around?

Joel

Quote from: Rel Mayer on August 25, 2015, 04:33:03 PM
Hmmmm!!! I see that there is a possible open spot for a surgeon? I noticed it was mentioned in the post above... so I don't want to step on any toes if that person is interested. I just like the idea of possibly playing a slightly crazed doctor/surgeon.

If not -- I'm guessing you can have basically multiple marines and gunners running around?

yeah someone has voiced an interest in the surgeon and if your character is slightly unhinged then i'm sure the Captain is going to pick the more stable doctor to be the head.  that said, i'm pretty sure there's gonna be more than one doctor in the medical bay especially considering theres going to be quite a bit of combat and multiple injuries at any given time.  heck maybe there's a 'field' medic attached to the marines.  anyway lots of options.  and also yes there is multiple marines.  the enemy uses boarding parties.

Rel Mayer

No worries. I'm probably going to face claim Charlize Theron and make a basic gunner/marine.

Chreestafer

Hi there Joel !!!

Still open room for anyone else? I love the concept and idea, and I have a character formulating in my head right now. 

Question, with the earth gone, is there a possibility of Pirates? Like groups of survivors or mercenaries put for just them selves? If you're ok with that kind of concept, I'd love to pm an idea to you.
“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Joel

Quote from: Chreestafer on August 25, 2015, 06:33:16 PM
Question, with the earth gone, is there a possibility of Pirates? Like groups of survivors or mercenaries put for just them selves? If you're ok with that kind of concept, I'd love to pm an idea to you.

Hey there Chress and welcome!  I think in the early days there were pirates, but after 100 years of running from the Phage, there's really only one proven way to stay alive and that's to stick with the Flotilla.  Splinter groups just cant make it without the extended support of the whole Fleet.  On the other hand, there's a lot of crime inside the Flotilla.  And the Flotilla is also pretty massive like at least a half million people involved here.  I am certain that a lot of the Flotilla's day to day life is run by local gangs, skimming this or that from everyone.  Law enforcement would try their best, but between corruption and a lack of a strong central authority, a functioning judicial system, or a unified body of law... it's like a playground for criminals.  Though watch out because justice is judge dredd style in the Fleet.

Quote from: Rel Mayer on August 25, 2015, 04:44:28 PM
No worries. I'm probably going to face claim Charlize Theron and make a basic gunner/marine.

YASSS looking forward to it!!

Amarlo

@Chreestafer - I currently have a character with a background in crime like Joel mentioned and if you'd like someone to plot histories with I'd love to work on some things with you, especially if underground crime is the road you want to take with your character.  :-)

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Chreestafer

Just placing this here so I don't lose it :)

WIP

Kyler Bishop
Marine / Soldier

NATURE:
    Kyler is generally a nice guy when it comes to down to the bare of it. 

APPEARANCE:
    Standing at just a few inches over six feet, Kyler is a roughly hued man whose body speaks

ABILITIES:
  <<A sentence describing the three major attributes or your character, chosen from the following list:  strength, dexterity, stamina; charisma, manipulation, appearance; perception, intelligence, wits.>>

• <<Knack Title>> - <<you may have 1-3 knacks for your character.  knacks are distinguishing qualities about your character.  they are the sort of things that other characters might nickname your character for.  they can be good or bad things.  please use moderation in your selection.  i.e. a marine will of course be badass, but an especially badass technician will require greater explanation in your history.>>
  • <<Knack Title>> - <<brief description of said ability>>
  • <<Knack Title>> - <<brief description of said ability>>

HISTORY:

<<place a quote here if you like, delete this section otherwise.>>

<<place more blah blah here for an introduction to your character.  delete if you don't wanna.>>

<<the meat of your history goes here.  go to town on the length.  if you have any questions on setting details please feel free to PM your GMs (Joel or Tinkertoy).  we are looking for realistic characters that exhibit a clear personality.  PLEASE PM YOUR SHEET TO ME (Joel) for OKAY>>

“The Doctor: This is bad, I don't like this. [kicks console and yells in pain] Never use force, you just embarrass yourself. Unless you're cross, in which case... always use force!
Amy: Shall I run and get the manual?
The Doctor: I threw it in a supernova.
Amy: You threw the manual in a supernova? Why?
The Doctor: Because I disagreed with it! Now stop talking to me when I'm cross!”
Ons and Offs
F-List

Rel Mayer

Sent this to the GMs. Placing this here for now to edit for typos/changes until I get approved:

Madison Grimm
Marine/Field Medic

NATURE:

What would people say about Madison Grimm? Well, firstly anyone who has gotten to know Madison playfully refers to her as Mad. Not necessarily because she's insane, but because her mannerisms and peaked interest for morbid and gore go against the social norms -- even for a solider. While she may appear stoic and rather serious to strangers, people that get to know her often see a fun side of raunchy jokes, obsessive conversations of human body parts, and a bit of her impulsive attitude.

APPEARANCE:
Madison is tall and slender. Coming just a few inches below the height in which an average man would stand. Although she is slender, she still holds a bit of the feminine curves that women do, which is very obviously displayed with her tight fitting black suit. Her hair is black at night, layered around her chin and then short in the back. What most people find the most interesting from Madison is her bright green eyes with the blue ring along the edge. They're often wide and always speaking, but few people can translate what her body language and eye expressions mean. Sometimes people assume she's picturing what you'd look like if your brain was splattered against the nearby wall.

But even Madison's good looks can be deceiving. She isn't the essence of every man's dream -- or she would have easily become an assassin prostitute. She has a curved ass, but not overtly so. Her breasts? Just under the size of handfuls, but she can make-up for her slightly above average looks with her dynamic personality and creativity.

ABILITIES:

She specializes in dexterity when it comes to rapid movements and running fast, which often comes into play from her extreme amount of stamina. Off the battlefield? She specializes in the art of manipulation.

• "Mean Bitch" - She doesn't quite understand social norms and will often say anything that's on her mind. If that includes insulting, sexual comments, or possibly even describing things in overtly detail.
  • "Bad Nurse" - While Madison may be an excellent gunner, she went to school for medicine with the specialty in the human anatomy. 
  • "Don't stick your dick in crazy" - Sex is an outlet for Madison, and she can come off rather sensual and aggressive at times to the females and males that she has an eye for. Although she has a bad rep for the method in which she 'courts people.

HISTORY:

"It's going to be alright. If I don't like you when you're alive -- I'll really enjoy spending time with you when you're dead."

"Watch out! This one bites..."

Madison grew up in a small colony with average schooling. Her family was always in the military, but they had decided to take some much needed vacation in a small flotilla when raising a family. While some parents would have expected a nice child with little temper issues while raising her in a small town environment -- they were wrong. The girl was a handful, and not only that. She was obsessed with blood, entrails, death, and unfortunately destruction. Father blamed it on his crazy mother-in-law. Mother blamed it on the fact that Father accidentally dropped her as a child, but either way -- Madison turned out just fine in her opinion!

Following in her parent's footsteps Madison joined the military, who instantly saw her interests with the human body on the medical side of things. For a few years she started off as a field medic in the military -- loving every second of it. Stitching people up in the field, amputating limbs that would later be cybernetic, and even administering drugs to keep people from hurting and fuel their desires for battle. She proved to be pretty decent at it too, until one day she said the wrong offensive thing to the high ranking official. It was a sure fire way to get the man to turn his nose up to Madison and send her off to a different faction of the military -- the marines. Although she was saddened by her big mouth getting her in trouble again, she found a newfound purpose within the military. 

So they taught her how to shoot, and boy did she love it! While she didn't quite find her place within this faction, she excelled as a warrior. But she wanted more -- it wasn't enough. There was no adrenaline rush, feeling like everyday could have been her last. So when the opportunity to join the Halcyon on their crazy suicidal mission was placed in front of her, she took it with open arms. Wanting nothing more than to practice her field medic days and shoot some enemies once again.

Aiden

Tiron's thoughts on her "A shame the ODST wasn't around in your time, you would have fit right in."

Rel Mayer

Quote from: Aiden on August 25, 2015, 11:13:24 PM
Tiron's thoughts on her "A shame the ODST wasn't around in your time, you would have fit right in."

Yes, she would!

But what fun is playing a character in her comfort zone among like minds, when she can just make everyone else in the room feel uncomfortable ?

Aiden

I doubt she will appear all that weird to Tiron, but he has seen some shit so his tolerance is way up compared to someone who hasn't seen a Phage invasion or combat against them up close.

Amarlo

This is suicide mission full people that volunteered for it, I think if one of us doesn't seem a bit off in the brainpan we should definitely be keeping an eye on that suspicious mother fucker... xD

Amarlo's O&Os
Absences and Apologies

Rel Mayer

People do crazy things when they want something badly enough.

Although, I'm probably not going to play her too extreme. But she'll be happy to be with like minds who are also a bit jaded! I can see her having a sort of 'this is the father I never had' complex with Tiron.

Aiden

Since Joel mentioned some cool mental mind fucking stuff with the Phage, it will be interesting to see how that manifest IC.