Midnight Championship Wrestling (Wrestlers Wanted!)

Started by Crash, November 09, 2015, 02:28:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Laughing Hyena

My guy is ready for approval. ^_^ Let me know if someone asks to collaborate with me as well. K if you wanted my jobber character to have been part of your tag team, I have no problems with that. I had it written that it was a tag team in the independent circuit that my guy was part of. How does the tag team name of Heartbreakers sound? Basically pretty boy gimmicks. ^_^

kckolbe

It would alter the concept slightly, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing.  I'll wait until I see your sheet.  I work tonight and will be doing mine tomorrow.
Ons/Offs  A/A  Oath of the Drake
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Buffy: The Vampire Slayer(IC#2)
Intro Thread

Laughing Hyena

Name: Patrick "Pulse" King
Gimmick: The Jobber
Role: Babyface

BABYFACE: When you stand up for something you believe in, spend 2 Momentum and pick 1 of the following:
⚪ gain +1 Heat with your opponent
⚪ leave your opponent speechless
⚪ make Creative book you in a match
⚪ add a stipulation to a match

Advanced Role: None

Hails From: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

Entrance: None… He's a jobber and not worthy of it.

Appearance: Wearing the Black and Yellow trunks, Weighing in at 178 pounds and standing at 6'4"... 

Personality & Background: Patrick King didn't originally have ties to Wrestling Federations nor any lineage to speak of. He was a wide eyed child, a fan whom grew up with legends and older generations of professional wrestlers. He could have been other things in his life but he never wanted to be those things. To Patrick, pro wrestlers were the equivalent of super heroes and super villains in ways. True he had to have the illusion of wrestling being scripted first but he still kept that kind of admiration for them when he grew up. It just manifested into a more enlightened respect. Still heroes in ways to him, he understood they were effectively stuntmen coupled with stories to entertain many. He wanted to be part of that naturally.

So he sought out a wrestling school that took those whom wanted to break into the business. He bought his own equipment his own tuitions and worked the backyard and independent circuits, honing his skills from those whom would teach him. He still has a ways to go and used to be part of a tag team in the independent circuits, the stomping grounds for the Midnight Championship Wrestling Federation. One half of the Heartbreakers, he was not the breakout star of the pair and was brought up into the MCW as a jobber given a fresh coat of paint so he wouldn't have any lingering fans. Despite the setback and the role he has to play, he shall play it well and pay his dues. He is determined to rise to the top. All he needs is an opportunity to prove himself.

Patrick is stubborn in terms of sticking with the dream he has chosen for himself. Injured or not Patrick refuses to quit on something he loves which can come back to bite him. Not everyone is purely devoted to the very nature of wrestling. He is devoted not only to himself though as he is a company man, willing to do what is required for the job. He tries to keep what happens in the ring and on the job away from his personal life. Backstage, he just is looking for a simple pat on the back, and a little respect. He is self-confident and hopeful that he will catch a break from those higher up in both the card and with the bookers that he is more than just a jobber.

Audience: +0
The Jobber starts and resets to Audience +0.

+4 Mark an Advance. At the beginning of the Episode, make the OVER Move.
+3 Start the Episode with +2 Momentum.
+2 Start the Episode with +1 Momentum.
+1 Start the Episode with +1 Momentum.
0 Mark an Advance. At the end of the Episode, you’re fired.

TOP SPOT: When you hit +4 Audience, everyone else at +4 drops to +3. Mark an Advance the first time you hit +4 or 0 in an Episode.

Stats:
Look: -2
Power: -1
Real: +0
Work: +2

Heat:

Injury: 3 Injury Boxes
When you get injured, check an Injury box.  When injured, you can pull out of any match you’re booked in without repercussions, but you gain +1 Momentum if you don’t.

Moves:

Basic Moves
Cut a Promo (Look): -2
Feat of Strength (Power): -1
Break Kayfabe (Real): +0
Work Stiff (Real): +0
Run-In (Heat):
Wresting (varies): -2, -1, +0, +2

Gimmick Moves

DO THE JOB: You are always booked to lose your matches. When your opponent pins you for the win, roll 2d6: On a 10+, you make them look great. They gain +1 Audience. On a 7-9, you do OK. Gain +1 Momentum or +1 Heat with them, your choice. On a botch, you don’t sell it right. You both lose -1 Audience. If your opponent is another player’s wrestler, roll for this when they make their Finishing Move.

CAREER WRESTLER: If you end an Episode with Audience +3 or higher, you can change to any other Gimmick, per the
changing Gimmick rules. If you end an Episode with Audience 0, you aren’t fired - instead, your Audience is reset to +1.

Pick 1 of the following:

SYMPATHETIC: Roll +Work instead of +Audience when you make the WORK THE AUDIENCE Move.

kckolbe

Here's my current leaning for image.  I think he looks like enough of a vengeful asshole.  You have to imagine him as being a bit leaner than he is, but I feel like he is about right.
(From the Penis Game) Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Penis
I love a wet nymph.  "Letting some guy have [her] just to have another woman is a losing trade"

Intro Thread

Crash

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."
Congratulations, you've unlocked Flirtatious Crash! - Envious

Crash

Once KC gets a character in I will throw an ooc thread up and we can figure out answers to heat questions.  Hopefully we can grab a couple more people.

"Sorry, you must survive at least 3 games with me before we can chat like this."

kckolbe

Name: The Huntsman
Gimmick: The Anti-Hero
Role: Heel

HEEL: When you do something underhanded to get what you want, spend 2 Momentum and pick 1 of the following:
⚪ win a match (this overrides Creative’s booking)
⚪ leave someone helplessly lying on the floor
⚪ get out of a match you’ve been booked in

Hails From: Houston, Texas

Entrance: Alice in Chains - Them Bones

Appearance: As the attached picture, though a bit leaner now that he is no longer the "muscle" to complement his high-flying former partner.  He stands at 5'11", shorter than the majority of imposing figures.  He wrestles wearing tight black shorts only slightly larger than a pair of boxers.

Personality: Bitter.  Vengeful.  Proud.  The Huntsman knows that he is running out of time to make a name for himself, having spent a significant amount of time in lower leagues before getting a chance on a tag team with a much younger wrestler named Creature.  Creature had the physical skills, but held him back.  After a match in which the two were embarrassingly beaten by another team, The Huntsman reacted strongly, sucker-punching his teammate and announcing an end to the team.

Audience:
The Anti-Hero starts and resets to Audience +1.

TOP SPOT: When you hit +4 Audience, everyone else at +4 drops to +3. Mark an Advance the first time you hit +4 or 0 in an Episode.

Stats:
Look: 0
Power: -2
Real: +2 (Added 1)
Work: -1

Heat:

Questions
Ask 1 question per other player (max 4 questions total). When answered, gain +1 Heat with their wrestler.

Who did I have to kick the shit out of to show how badass I am?

With whom do I have a reluctant alliance?

Who do I think is a slave to management?

Who wishes they were as cool as me?

Whenever you work a match with a character you have +4 Heat with, gain +1 Audience.
When you finish a feud, reset Heat to +1.

Injury: 3 Injury Boxes
When you get injured, check an Injury box, and note who did it. While injured, you can interfere in any of their matches without Creative’s approval or consent, and they gain +1 Momentum when you do so.

Moves:

Basic Moves
Cut a Promo (Look):
Feat of Strength (Power):
Break Kayfabe (Real):
Work Stiff (Real):
Run-In (Heat):
Wresting (varies):

Gimmick Moves

FINISHING MOVE: Cage the Beast <The Huntsman maneuvers his opponent into a submission hold, pinning one of the victim's arms between his legs, holding the other behind the victims back, and placing one hand over the face to "muzzle" his opponent, waiting for the pain to force a submission>

When you’re booked to win a match, roll 2d6. On a 10+, you hit your Finisher clean. Choose whether you gain +1 Audience, or whether your opponent does. On a 7-9, they make you work for it. Chose: you win clean, and you both gain +1 Momentum, or win via countout, disqualification or interference, and gain +1 Heat with your opponent. On a botch, choose: you lose -1 Audience (but get the win) or you’re screwed out of victory by an authority figure.

RULES? WHAT RULES?: When you break the rules in a match, roll +look . On a 10+, you get away with it, book the finish of the match on the fly. On a 7-9, pick 1: you get away with it and gain +1 Momentum, or you don’t and gain +1 Heat with your opponent. On a botch you get DQed and lose the match (the results of this Move overrides Creative’s booking).

TWITCH THE CURTAIN: When you air your legit grievances, on camera, you can roll  +real  for any Moves you make outside of the ring for the rest of the Episode. At the end of the Episode, if you haven’t gained any Audience, you lose 1 Audience.

Notes
Not crazy about his name.  Also willing to hear other suggestions for songs, though I do think this one a good mix of drama and angst.  I made Creature his former partner, and am obviously willing to alter that.

Intro Thread

Crash

Looks good KC.  I would try to settle on a name as soon as possible if you are not thrilled with the current one.  I will work on an ooc thread so we can figure out heat and start booking our first show.  I will leave recruitment open.  If you know anyone that might be interested in a wrestling game point them in this direction!

kckolbe

I wanted something antagonistic to "Creature," and am willing to stick with it, just open to suggestions.  Speaking of which, was using Creature as his former partner okay?  If so, am I free to flesh out that situation?

Intro Thread

Crash

That is fine.  You can flesh out some background between the two if you want.

Crash

My plan is to have the roster thread and ooc up tomorrow.  I am working a night shift so I will do it when I wake up.

Crash

Some threads are up!

Game Threads

Go ahead and post your wrestler in the Roster thread and check out the OOC.

Pink Kitten

Are you still open? This looks like a lot of fun, I'm very tempted to join in if I can :-)

kckolbe

Intro Thread

Crash

Quote from: Pink Kitten on November 23, 2015, 02:36:59 PM
Are you still open? This looks like a lot of fun, I'm very tempted to join in if I can :-)

Absolutely.  I am working on booking our first show tonight!  Now is a perfect time to join.

I have updated the Gimmicks that have been claimed.

Crash

If anyone chooses The manager you get the choice of managing a PC or an NPC.

Pink Kitten

I'll need to think on my character a bit, and it might not be a horrible idea to actually read the system rules either :-) I'll try to get my character ready by tomorrow, but if you guys want to get the first show rolling, no need to wait - it could actually be really useful for me to see how the game actually works before I try to jump in.

I'm currently thinking of a (female) high-flying babyface, unless you feel like the roster is getting too packed with faces already?

A couple of questions though:

How does the booking go for girls? Is there a women's division, or is the whole promotion mixed-sex?
I assume we're roleplaying this from a "shoot" perspective, what with Creative (usually) deciding the outcome of matches and all? Are we supposed to keep up kayfabe outside the ring, or can, say, two characters be best friends backstage even though they're having a massive feud?
Is Mace Hunley an actual unpredictable asshole in real life, or is that just his gimmick? :-)

Sorry if I'm asking dumb questions, just wanted to be crystal clear about how I should approach this!

Crash

All good questions. 

Another face is okay, but you will probably be the last one for a while until we get some more heels.

Mixed wrestling.  No separate divisions.

There is a roll for breaking Kayfab.  I would prefer wrestlers mostly stay in character as heels should be heels and faces faces.  That said it is okay to show a different side of your character and not be sooo black and white but as cameras are always on backstage so you shouldn't be breaking Kayfab a ton unless that is part of your character.

Mace is an ass in real life too. ;) But that doesn't mean he can't have a change of heart later on.

Pink Kitten

Sooo, here's what I got. Let me know what you think! :-)

Name: Sakura (Sakura Kinoshita)
Gimmick: The High Flyer
Role: Babyface

BABYFACE: When you stand up for something you believe in, spend 2 Momentum and pick 1 of the following:
⚪ leave your opponent speechless
⚪ make Creative book you in a match
⚪ add a stipulation to a match

Hails From: Tokyo, Japan

Entrance: AKB48 - Heavy Rotation

Appearance: Standing 5-foot-4 tall and weighing in at 121 pounds, Sakura at first glance might look more at home spending time at the mall than wrestling tough, physical opponents. But behind her innocent looks lies heaps of genuine talent. When she brings her endless energy and happiness to the ring and tops it off with jaw-dropping high-flying antics, you'll quickly focus less on how unmenacing she looks... and more on how hot she looks!

Personality & Background: Sakura grew up in Japan, in a pro-wrestling (or puroresu) family. Her father a prominent figure in a renowned wrestling dojo in Tokyo, wrestling had always been a big part of her life, and she had been training from a very young age herself. Sakura adored the interaction between the fans and the wrestlers. Outside the ring, she was somewhat shy and reserved, but once she got to perform in front of a crowd, she would instantly explode in an endless storm of cheer and energy. She loved making the fans happy, that was her biggest motivation in wrestling. She was intuitively drawn to the flashy, high-flying style of wrestling - on the top turnbuckle she felt fearless, and she loved how her big aerial moves got the loudest reactions out of the fans.

Once Sakura reached adulthood, her life saw a big change when she got a huge opportunity to study acting in the US. She took the opportunity, moved to another country on her own, and for the next few years, she focused solely on her acting career, leaving her pro wrestling life completely behind.

But she could only deny herself that wrestling was real real, true passion for so long. Eventually, she started craving that interaction with the fans, that raw energy and unique atmosphere in the arena. She realized she could never be happy if she wasn't wrestling; so she took off to find a place for herself in the American wrestling scene.

However, Sakura quickly realized that her experience back in Japan meant very little this side of the pond. She went through many small promotions, but everyone said the same thing: she was just a tiny, petite Asian girl. Who could take that seriously as a wrestler?

The closest she could get to being back in the ring was working as a valet in small, territorial promotions. It was at one of these small promotions, working as a ringside valet, when Malcolm Cane scouted Sakura. He recognized the value Sakura's looks, combined with her actual in ring ability, would have in his promotion. He offered Sakura the chance of a lifetime to get her foot in.

Sakura definitely wasn't thrilled about the erotic angle of MCW, and it's very likely she didn't really know what she was getting into. But it was her first chance to be a real wrestler, in a real promotion, since her teenager days, so she accepted the offer without much thought.

In MCW, Sakura is introduced with just her first name, and she is slotted with an all-out "sexy Japanese schoolgirl" gimmick; complete with short skirts, crazy colorful outfits and some insanely mind-numbing J-pop as her intro. Seeing her for the first time would make people blink and think "what the hell is this"; but feeling the seemingly endless energy and cheerfulness she brought to the ring would quickly win everyone over; and by the time they saw her genuine talent and stunning, high-impact, high-flying moves, they'd be chanting her name.

At the end of the day, Sakura was just a tiny, petite Asian girl, and not really "heavyweight champion" material - so it was very much possible that she'd be doomed to the role of an eternal midcarder, at best. But for now... it was all she wanted. It was time to make some fans happy.

Audience:
The High Flyer starts and resets to Audience +2.

Stats:
Look: +1 (added 1)
Power: -2
Real: -1
Work: +2

Heat:
Whenever you work a match with a character you have +4 Heat with, gain +1 Audience.

Injury: 4 Injury Boxes
When you get injured, check two Injury boxes.  While injured, any time an opponent uses your injury against you to gain an advantage, they gain +1 Momentum and you gain +1 Heat with them. 

Moves:

Basic Moves
Cut a Promo (Look): +1
Feat of Strength (Power): -2
Break Kayfabe (Real): -1
Work Stiff (Real): -1
Run-In (Heat):
Wresting (varies): +1, -2, -1, +2

Gimmick Moves

FINISHING MOVE: Sakura Senton (Moonsault Senton)

When you’re booked to win a match, roll 2d6: On a 10+, you hit your Finisher clean. You gain +1 Audience. On a 7-9, they make you work for it. Choose: they counter and you have to resort to a roll-up, gain +1 Heat with them; or you execute another high spot, and gain +2 Momentum. On a botch, you still get the win, but pick one: it looks terrible and you lose -1 Audience; injure your opponent; injure yourself.

“LOOK AT THAT AMAZING ATHLETICISM!”: +1 Work (Max +3)

HUMAN HIGHLIGHT REEL: Whenever you attempt a high-flying maneuver, and you roll a 10+ before spending Momentum, gain +1 Audience.

kckolbe

Yup, she's a cutie.  Looking forward to working with her.

Intro Thread

Crash

She looks awesome (yes and hot too).

Go ahead and post her in the roster thread then post your heat questions in OOC for people to answer.

Pink Kitten

Done!

One more question about the rules: is a "botch" any result that's lower than 7, or something specific (like a natural 2)?

Phaia

I do hope I have this all right?! Anyway y'all need a manager so Crash and the rest of the wrestlers meet ...Miss Trea!!   :o 8-)

Name: Miss Trea
Gimmick: The Manager
Role: Heel

HEEL: When you do something underhanded to get what you want, spend 2 Momentum and pick 1 of the following:
⚪ win a match (this overrides Creative's booking)
⚪ leave someone helplessly lying on the floor
⚪ get out of a match you've been booked in

Hails From: Unknown...Miss Trea seems to have just walked into the MCW and taken over handling at least one wrestler

Entrance: Slow sultry walk wearing very short skirts slit way up on her left thigh. A black business jacket, ever present chipbroad that seems to be made of metal painted to look like wood. Soft sexy talk with a clear understanding of wrestling and above average brains. 

Appearance: Miss Trea without her heels stands 5'10" and weights in at 129. Of course those 129 pounds look so very good on her. Long well muscled legs that she seems to enjoy showing off. Most of the time her long blonde hair is pulled back into a braid and she has her eye glasses resting loosely on her cute nose. Hazel green eyes seen to take in everything and when she does smile it melts the rafters. Normally coming across as cold, aloof and a...mystery. Age, well she is not saying and for some reason it seems an mystery.

Personality & Background:
Laura de la Trea or so she is listed, prefers to go by Miss Trea when on camera and at ringside. She seems quiet compared to many of the other wrestlers but can leap high and get the crowd going with cheerleader like moves. Yet, MissTrea also displays an amazing amount of knowledge about the sport. Often taking apart an opponent moves on camera in a cold and almost cruel manner. Miss Trea is loyal to the wrestlers she manages as long as they do not betray her...if they do ...heaven help them. This is of course all for the show.
Laura Handers is from a wrestling family. Her father and uncle were the famous 'Underhanders', 4 time MCW World Tag Team champions as well as long time wrestlers holding various other lesser titles. So far it seems Laura is the only one of the children [7 between the 2 brothers and 5 different wives] to go into wrestling. Though rumbles that a brother is being trained and that her father may return keep seeming to pop up. Laura actually has 4 years of college and was in the honor society and a cheerleader. Laura had some small roles years earlier when her father would lift her up into the ring when the Underhanders would win a big match. Corny and cheesy but she loved the roar of the crowd. Early on she began to learn various moves and how to fall and land. Her Father insisted all his children go to college. Laura has a degree in business and was 7th fastest in hurdles, in the nationals, in track. Laura is 21 and starting out on a track suggested by her uncle and father. Build a following and let them 'lure' her into the ring.

Outside the ring and show Laura is friendly and a bit of a prankster. She has already filled one trailer with balloons and likes to have fun. Currently she has no boyfriend and figures that at some point the MCW will have her linked 'romantically' to one of the wrestlers to raise the heat and audience. Laura also studies hard about the sport and asks questions on how various moves work and how to handle a counter. Already she is becoming known for her brainy approach to the 'sport'.

Audience:
0 Mark an Advance. At the end of the Episode, you're fired.

Stats:
Look:    +3
Power:   -1
Real:       0
Work:    -2

Heat:
Questions
Ask 1 question per other player (max 4 questions total). When answered, gain +1 Heat with their wrestler.

Who do I manage/ accompany to the ring? (If you don't manage another player's wrestler, decide which NPW you manage and start
with Heat +3)

Who is trying to undermine me backstage?

Who  turned  on  me  when  I  was  their
Manager?

Who knows I have their best interests at heart?

Injury: 2 Injury Boxes
When you get injured, check an Injury box. When you use your injury as an excuse to help out your client, they gain +1 Momentum.

Moves:

Basic Moves
Cut a Promo (Look):
Feat of Strength (Power):
Break Kayfabe (Real):
Work Stiff (Real):
Run-In (Heat):
Wresting (varies):

Gimmick Moves
MEAL TICKET: When you interfere on your client's behalf to win them a match, roll 2d6. On a 10+, you pull it off and they get the win. Choose whether you gain +1 Audience, or your client does. On a 7-9 the ref notices your attempt, choose: your client uses your distraction to get the win, they gain +2 Momentum; or you interfere but their opponent still wins, you gain +1 Heat with your client. On a botch, choose: your effort is hilariously obvious, losing you -1 Audience (though your client still wins the match); or the ref tosses you out of the match and DQs your client. The results of this Move overrides Creative’s booking.

MOUTHPIECE: When you speak for your Client, they can roll on your stat instead of theirs for any Move they would normally make. (If your client is an NPW: Gain +1 Momentum whenever you speak for your client.)

LOYAL:  When  you  take  action  in  your  client’s  best interests,  roll +look . On a 10+ pick 2, on a 7-9 pick one: gain +1 Momentum; overturn a decision made against your client; gain +1 Heat with your client; add a stipulation to your client’s upcoming match. On a botch, you’re obviously faking it, lose -1 Heat with your client.

Advances:

Spoiler: Click to Show/Hide

Crash

Quote from: Pink Kitten on November 24, 2015, 03:02:52 PM
Done!

One more question about the rules: is a "botch" any result that's lower than 7, or something specific (like a natural 2)?

A botch is any roll less than 7.

Phaia!  Hey sexy how are you?  She is very approved.  Go ahead and post her in the roster thread and post your heat questions in the ooc.

Do you want to manage an NPC or a player?

Phaia

It has been a while Crash!

I was reading ooc should I change Laura's father and brother to be in another group since the MCW is new?
make one up? or use one that is out there.
I am also sure her father would not apporve of the more erotic nature of the MCW but Laura really wants to break in to wrestling and is taking a chance here.

Phaia