News:

"Wings and a Prayer [L-E]"
Congratulations OfferedToEros & Random for completing your RP!

Main Menu

Dark Souls II - share your experiences, stories and builds!

Started by Hemingway, March 26, 2014, 12:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shjade

Quote from: Hemingway on March 30, 2014, 11:23:46 AM
I'd personally recommend raising all the rings, as you're in more danger of falling off than you are of getting killed by the boss.

Unless you're this guy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNYRH18FniM

In Dark Souls 2, there's no real sequence to the bosses since you can go in whatever direction you want (except Shaded Woods) from the start. My standard run would skip the Flexile Sentry simply because you can get to the Bastille via the Forest faster and through easier bosses anyway. Other than that. not really much that can be skipped that isn't already optional. In terms of bosses I don't want to fight because I find them annoying, however, Darklurker is the top of the list for DS2. Seriously, fuck that fight. Everything else is fine.

In Dark Souls, my "standard" run was something like: Gargoyles (use master key to skip the Burg entirely via Valley of Drakes), Asylum (for the rusted iron ring), Quelaag (through back entrance to Blighttown), Sen's, Anor Londo, Four Kings, Nito, Duke's, Izalith, Gwyn. Optional areas/bosses thrown in if and when I want something from them.

Oh, with regard to parrying, the general window is to parry as the attack is on its way in. So the enemy spots you, closes the distance, starts winding up, almost ready to swing, starts to swing <-- this is when you parry. You want to be swinging your arm/shield in the way of the attack as the attack is hitting you. The exact timing varies by the attack you're trying to parry and what you're parrying with (some weapons/shields parry faster/slower than others).
Theme: Make Me Feel - Janelle Monáe
◕/◕'s
Conversation is more useful than conversion.

Hemingway

Yeah, I saw that video. It seems risky, though. It's certainly quick, but only if you don't get knocked off yourself.

I made it to the Iron Keep without killing the Lost Sinner yet. Hah! Yeah, it's not like he's a hard boss, but he's been giving me trouble with this character. I lack the strength to equip a high-stability shield, and his attacks follow you if you miss your dodge by even a little.

Shjade

That's why you roll into his attacks most of the time. They can't track you if you've already gone through them and out the other side. It's not super hard to stay behind him a lot of the time either. NG+ that all  changes, of course.

As for the Dragonrider drop, I was feeling leery of it myself, but I tried it a few hours ago and got it first try. It's not really all that hard with the tiny platform. You don't even have to roll by in front of him the way it's done in that video. Basically as long as you get him to attack toward the edge and you don't get hit, you pretty much win.

Sadly I died later on to Mytha. Since i was trying for a no deaths run... :|
◕/◕'s

Hemingway

Hmm. I might try that.

I might also just recruit a phantom army and steamroll his ass. I've gotten way better at dodging, to the point where I do it pretty instinctively and have next to no trouble doing it against most enemies. I still feel like it's way riskier than blocking, without necessarily being more rewarding, though. With a high stability shield, blocking doesn't eat up more stamina than dodging does, and it's way more reliable against most enemies, since they rarely go for guard breaks.

Shjade

Yeah, the current speedrun of DS2 blocks for Lost Sinner with a basic greatshield. It lets you stay closer and is just more consistent (and eats up less stamina than rolling), so it's not like that's a bad choice of tactics.

Edit: Dammit, damn, damn. :|

Got as far as the Looking Glass Knight with no deaths, but something about that boss just murders my face. I don't know why I have so much trouble dodging him. That is so frustrating. Hhh.

I think I'm gonna give up on that dream. Instead, I'm going to happily grind up my mundane Santier's Spear carrier and put her into the Blue Sentinels, since rank 3 sunbro was unfulfilling. Currently up to 190, 27 in all stats.
◕/◕'s

Laughing Hyena

Hello folks. Im working with the ps3 version of the game and am approaching the ending of the game. Im at the part where you have to return to the Forest of Fallen Giants and have yet to fight the last of the optional bosses in the game.

I am at Soul Level 105 and have refused to level up anymore. Mostly because of the idea that I could be over-leveling for NG. Now then for my actual setup, I am primarily using a strength build because I enjoy cleaving through enemies with the wide sweeps of the two handed swords. Here are the following stats I use...

Vigor:20
Endurance:15
Vitality:16
Attunement:4
Strength:40
Dexterity:20
Adaptability:20
Intelligence:3
Faith:20

This setup pretty much allows me to get as much bang from my physical attacks as I can for my level and allow me a great deal of flexibility in my weapons and armor selections whilst keeping me fairly mobile. The concept is to be able to be fast enough to effectively counterattack my opponent by bobbing in and out and allows me to raise my great shield quickly in response to an attack if I absolutely cannot get out of the way. I have decent success in PVP because of it but it also comes down to what you got in your arsenal. (Not to mention that thanks to the Bell Keeper covenant I have no shortage of practice against ton's of opponents.)

As for my actual equipment this is where it comes together for me. First the rings I tend to make use of the Clorthany Ring +1 which is for me easily one of the most important rings. The quicker stamina regenerates, the more you can do. I also make use of the Southern Band +1 ring which gives me two attunement slots which gives me the ability to use healing even as a phantom. A majority of players I invade as a Bell Keeper can and will use their Estus and as such I need this to even the playing field again. Next is the Third Dragon Ring to increase equip load, stamina and health, which in my opinion makes it all the more worth it. Finally I use the North Soldiers +1 Ring for that extra bit of equip load.

Next come the shields. I have the Gyrm's Greatshield because of it's excellent stability and resistance to fire and physical attacks being 100%. This is a god send against pyromancers that still think Fire Storm or a Fireball will automatically kill anything. It's a real wakeup call and I can easily close the gap when they cast with it. Next is the Rebels Greatshield. I fucking love this shield because of how versatile it is when you infuse it. You can infuse this thing with Magic, Lightning, Dark or Fire and it will gain 100% resistance to that one effect whilst giving you resistances to the rest respectably. I have it infused with magic though Dark is also tempting since people love to bust out Hexes a lot.

Now we come to my favorite part of it all, the Weapons! I make use of a maxed out Thorned Greatsword (The Looking Glass Knight's Greatsword.) which I freaking LOVE. Not only is it's one handed move set similar to the Zwiehandler but the strong attack allows me to shoot lightning at my opponent. and the sword also scales with faith as well influencing it's lightning damage with each swing. As such this means a LOT of punishment. I bust this out whenever I see a mage or a guy in heavy armor because most armor doesn't have lightning resistance and the mage's can get stunned by the lightning bolt to interrupt the typical fire storm, dark orb or heavy soul arrow also I can infuse this bad boy with a pine resin of my choice to add even more pain.

However when that won't get the job done or when my sword is about to break, I make use of a maxed out Sunlight Sword with no Infusion. This weapon is so beautiful with it's one handed move set. Its R2 allows me to thrust twice without over extending myself and the swings with R1 allow me to do a horizontal slash that can punish with three strikes before they roll away from me. If they block I can easily guard break them with a change up from a traditional three strike R1 attack. The R2 also helps to change the patterns up so a parry is less likely.

Finally we come to my armor. Traditionally I prefer a combination of the Saints Gloves and Boots coupled with Syan's Helmet and Vengral's Armor. The look is aesthetically pleasing to me and the physical durability I have with it allows me to soak up a good amount of damage. The real point of this armor is to help me survive magic users. Hexes are my main concern and this pushes my Fire and Dark Resistance up to over two hundred and fifty. I can get one hundred more from the Flame/Dark Quartz Ring +2 if needed. Granted my resistances to physical punishment are nice and decent as well. I'm hoping that when I have the ability to level up again I shall become even more capable of punishing attacks and becoming more of a nightmare for spell casters.

Drake Valentine

You know, I don't think there is much of a point to hoarding souls for NG+, because technically you cannot overpower for it too much.

I am level 130-ish and still enemies on regular game are killing me. Then again I have not bothered to upgrade any of my armor as I am waiting to find the set I really want, before maxing it before NG+. So pretty much hoarding the shards and stones and all that good stuff for most of end game, unless I am spending them in things I know I will keep such as my dual caetustes(sp.)

Oh actually level 142
Stats:
Vigor: 10 (LOL)   
Endurance: 35
Vitality: 17
Attunement: 6
Strength:   40
Dexterity:   40
Adaptability: 35
Intelligence: 6
Faith: 6

And on that note.

All praise Nahr Alma.

"When I'm Done With You, You'll Be a:
Raped, Bloody, And Humiliated, Little Alice in Wonderland."

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)
Pale Eclipse - Group Game Project{Paused} 

zemo8801

I have a question where is the lady that you need to bring back from being stone with the twig of yore. Also is it need to give her a full set? 
Ons and Offs
DarkAngel  " Goof Ball "
Happy Owner of His Snowflake
Z crypt of ideas

Drake Valentine

Umm, the one I can think of is that statue woman that is pulling a lever. You have to go through Majula route to find her, it is up the hill next to the Things Betwixt starter point(I believe.) No you don't have to get her full set of clothes, I pretty much gave her a loincloth. :)

Introduction | O&Os | O&Os2 | IM RP Request(Canceled 04/11/2010) | A&As(Updated 10/29/13) | Solo RP Request (Updated 09/20/14)

zemo8801

OK now where is the best path to find the twig since I'm trying to clear out the rooms with the soldiers key at the moment
Ons and Offs
DarkAngel  " Goof Ball "
Z crypt of ideas

Shjade

You can find those twigs in several places, Zemo. Just depends on where you want to go to get them. There's one in the Gutter, a couple in Harvest Valley, one or two somewhere else I think...
◕/◕'s

Hemingway

The Lost Sinner drops a Fragrant Branch of Yore. It's where I typically get my first one. Or, well, on my most recent playthrough I got one from Harvest Valley, because the Lost Sinner is an absolute bitch without a shield.

Drake Valentine

You think he a bitch now? Hahahaha. Try him on NG+

He summons two minions at low health. that try to fireball you while you are fighting him. When I fought him, I never complained about Rat Authority again cause that fight was some outright BS.

Hemingway

I know he does. I normally have no problem with the Lost Sinner, but normally I play strength builds and pack a greatshield, which means I can basically keep my guard up indefinitely while waiting for an opening.

I'm sure that wouldn't work on NG+, but then ... I never got that far.

Drake Valentine

Yea. I was trying for both no death/no bonfire run....................................

Now I am trying for a no bonfire run.

Shjade

Quote from: Hemingway on April 10, 2014, 06:10:59 AM
I know he does. I normally have no problem with the Lost Sinner, but normally I play strength builds and pack a greatshield, which means I can basically keep my guard up indefinitely while waiting for an opening.

I'm sure that wouldn't work on NG+, but then ... I never got that far.
If you use the Gyrm Greatshield that can still work, since it will absorb all their fire very well. However, it's fairly hard to find an opportunity to take out the pyros without getting stabbed in the back/face in the process. You can backstab them, however, which offers some protection during the animation.

Really the Sinner NG+ encounter pretty much just calls for having a phantom, preferably one with the red eye ring to get their attention while you clean up the pyros. After that's done, it's the same as NG+, just with higher numbers. He only calls in the two pyros once, no respawns.
◕/◕'s

zemo8801

Can someone post up the spot that leads to where the skeleton lord is found
Ons and Offs
DarkAngel  " Goof Ball "
Z crypt of ideas

Shjade

Hunstman's Copse. You get there through that cylindrical room you passed through on your way to Heide's out of Majula, the one with a gated doorway on the left side.
◕/◕'s

Drake Valentine

Also, do you know which two handed weapon has a hard uppercut that sends an enemy into the air? I think it may of been greatsword, but not sure. Saw an allied shade knock a regular enemy into the air before; and was thinking to myself.... I want that weapon

*Sigh* If only there were the dragon fists in this game.... ;(

Shjade

Maybe the Black Knight Greatsword? I don't think the moveset is the same as it was in DS1 though, so it might not have the launch.
◕/◕'s

zemo8801

Is there a way to get back to off line mode on 1.03?
Ons and Offs
DarkAngel  " Goof Ball "
Z crypt of ideas

Drake Valentine

zemo8801

I was just wondering since it use to give you time to turn off online mode but I'll look up on YouTube to see how since I wasn't even on for like three steps before I was invaded geez in not the type that likes to have to stop for a pea brain who just is going to sit back with a int build blue flame an Pyro lol
Ons and Offs
DarkAngel  " Goof Ball "
Z crypt of ideas

Inkidu

So I have it, and I'm on the fence. It feels better than Dark Souls but I can't tell you why. I'm rocking a knight (seeing as they don't start uber slow this time)  I've died a lot of times, but I haven't hit hollow yet, I think. It's hard to tell.

I have a Heidel (sp) Knight sword (I think it paralyzes) and a falcon shield and the starting knight armor. I also have one of those nifty infantry helmets that look like the Spanish ones. I think the combat is miles above Dark Souls, the ability to go single-handed or two handed is nice.

Though I don't appreciate the misrepresentation of the bastard sword (yet again for gaming). It should be one you can use one handed or two handed fairly easily.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

Shjade

Just to clarify some things for you:

- As soon as you die, you're Hollow. If your health meter's capacity is not 100%, you're Hollow. This is easy to check by removing your armor: if your skin is green and blotchy, you're Hollow. If it's your normal healthy skin color, you're human.

- The Heide knight sword does a mix of physical and lightning damage, but there's no paralysis in Dark Souls. It's just extra damage.

- You can 1-hand or 2-hand pretty much any weapon, as you could in Dark Souls and, I believe, Demon's Souls. All that really changed in that regard in Dark Souls 2 is dual-wielding, which was a gimmick in the previous games but has legitimate uses in Dark Souls 2, mostly via powerstance.
◕/◕'s