Collins English Dictionary Reveals Several New Words

Started by Avi, November 17, 2008, 03:40:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avi

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081117/ap_on_re_eu/eu_britain_new_word

Kind of interesting to me.  Internet and pop jargon is increasingly being incorporated into real language...
Your reality doesn't apply to me...

HairyHeretic

Language evolves over time. That's simply the way of it. I'm not at all surprised to see this.
Hairys Likes, Dislikes, Games n Stuff

Cattle die, kinsmen die
You too one day shall die
I know a thing that will never die
Fair fame of one who has earned it.

Inkidu

Hey just because it's now a word doesn't mean it's still paper worthy. Besides if Webster or Oxford doesn't accept it who cares... XD Just kidding.
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

Those that are worthy will be adopted into everyday use. Those that aren't will fade away.

Cattle die, kinsmen die

Inkidu

Quote from: HairyHeretic on November 17, 2008, 05:00:33 PM
Those that are worthy will be adopted into everyday use. Those that aren't will fade away.
Heck, that doesn't guarantee it'll stick. :|
If you're searching the lines for a point, well you've probably missed it; there was never anything there in the first place.

HairyHeretic

Cattle die, kinsmen die

The Overlord

I use heh all the time, meh every so often.

I hate 'frenemy' though, to the point that I'm going to hard pressed not to slug anyone I hear using it in a professional context such as a job. It needs to go into trash heap along with overused terminology like diva. Not every female pop star that makes more than three albums is a diva, and Sir Elton John is most certainly not a diva...he's a gay dude with a huge recording career.

I think if we add words to the lexicon we should trim out the stupid ones.

That includes phrases too make me Overlord of The Universe and nobody will be able to say 'on the go' under any context whatsoever. Freaking stupid.

Oniya

If it helps any, when I first saw 'frenemy' (in that article, as it happens), my first thought was that it looked like 'frenulum' - and that association alone makes it impossible to use around me without gales of inappropriate laughter at the speaker.

And for what it's worth, the exclamation "Oh, get out!" should just go.  (All apologies to George Carlin for the probable misquote.)
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17

The Overlord

Quote from: Oniya on November 17, 2008, 09:04:39 PM

And for what it's worth, the exclamation "Oh, get out!" should just go

Actually, I am thinking that was Julia Louis-Dreyfus as Elaine Benes.

Quote(wiki) Elaine's signature move is expressing incredulity by frontally shoving people while yelling "Get out!" after hearing unbelievable news. It sometimes causes the person to fall down or trip.

Oniya

Yes, but I think that George Carlin used it in his monologue about how white women should "Stop. trying. to be black."  The whole 'Girlfriend!' thing.  *gags*
"Language was invented for one reason, boys - to woo women.~*~*~Don't think it's all been done before
And in that endeavor, laziness will not do." ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think we're never gonna win this war
Robin Williams-Dead Poets Society ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~Don't think your world's gonna fall apart
I do have a cause, though.  It's obscenity.  I'm for it.  - Tom Lehrer~*~All you need is your beautiful heart
O/O's Updated 5/11/21 - A/A's - Current Status! - Writing a novel - all draws for Fool of Fire up!
Requests updated March 17