Black Sails, Dark Water (Freeform, Pirate/Supernatural) [Recruitment]

Started by Kakihara, January 26, 2024, 08:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kakihara

Black Sails, Dark Water

In 1715 West Indies, the pirates of New Providence Island threaten maritime trade in the region. The laws of every civilized nation declare them hostis humani generis, enemies of all mankind. In response, the pirates adhere to a doctrine of their own....war against the world.

At the dawn of the 18th century, a subtle change came into the world even as its physical borders began to change and old powers vied for land, slaughtering it’s natives and building a new empire on the blood soaked lands.  Magic began to seep back into the world, changing it subtlety and not so subtly in many parts of the world.  Creatures that once existed but had disappeared as humanity began to take over more of their sacred places, and their belief in them waned, returned to the world.  Mermaids, sirens and other fae creatures of the wild made their presence known, able to call on the light flow of magic to accomplish small things.  But they found the human world less welcoming than it once had been to their kind.

With humans being traded like cattle, the new creatures filling the world were seen by many as an abomination, an affront to god, since many had quite human guises.  Unable to call on the power they once had, many began to create and teach a new art, using eldritch runes to create strong, mystical items to allow them to supplement their ways.  The fae races began to try and hide away from humans, despite their inherent fascination with them, finding this new position as tools of a devil they had never known confusing.  At the same time, the families who’d had ties with various fae in the past began to have their elder heritage awaken, causing many to be rejected by their family.  These humans that were now declared agents of Satan were called Fairyblooded among the civilized countries. 

In 1713, when Thomas Barrow declared himself the mayor of Nassau, with the pirate population outnumbering the civilians by a large margin, the place went into an uproar.  Crews under the other captains balked, and soon tensions grew in the city as lines were drawn.  A council of the pirate captains were called on the island where big and small crews came together for a discussion.  It was decided that seven of the most respected captains would be nominated within the groups and they would become the Pirate Lords of the city, Captains among captains.  This union of pirates took the name Brethren of the Coast and planned to be the new, true power in Nassau and all of New Providence Island.

In 1715, with the pirates of the island in a war on the sea with every civilized navy, the Pirate Lords made a desperate play, knowing they were in need of numbers, and talented crewmembers and tradesmen.  Their lot had always been a place where many could find refuge, but now the Lords had decided to make things much more official.  Sanctuary was offered to all who had no place among the civilized nations and their faithful, runaway slaves, rebellious natives and even the forsaken Fae and their Fairyblood brethren were welcome.  If you could make yourself useful, all were welcome and would find a place somewhere on the island, find fortune where only ashes were offered from the supposedly civilized man.

The game will be an open sandbox game inspired by Black Sails with maybe a hint of the first Pirates of the Caribbean movie.  I am aiming for it to be a gritty world akin to the tv series with plenty of conflict and personalities that scrap against each other.  I plan on detailing more things but I wanted to get an interest check before I put any time into a character sheet and all.  While the majority of the location will be in Nassau, with the greater New Providence Island as well, but I do want to make allowances for more civilized forays into Port Royale.  One thing I would be dropping is the Treasure Island influence on the show as it is meant to be a prequel of the book.

As far as the supernatural aspect, I want to keep it a bit low key, magic is low and more certain traits.  So a mermaid or a Fairyblooded mermaid may be able to influence the currents whereas swanmaiden may be able to influence the wind direction, all very helpful on a crew.  I want to avoid the more popular supernatural entities like vampires and werewolves and more focus on the creatures of folklore and legend, both in Europe and other countries.  I’ve put some more info on them and some of the more common know type here in my world building thread though this isn’t all.  And I am quite open to more international Fae outside of European ones.

And while there is certainly plenty of room for pirates, there is certainly a place for various tradesmen, merchants, barmaids and madams keeping the city running.  In addition, the city is a place of intrigue with various agents of the English and Spanish crown in port along with agents of the East Indian Company.  I have placed a list of possible characters needed and occupations needed on the island here in my world building thread. 

I should note, as I know it’s often a deciding factor, all faceclaims would be IRL ones and I would like to avoid matching the series if possible, as this is more inspired and not a direct translation.  Now, for Fae, while the main faceclaim should be IRL, I’m ok with art, not AI art, being used to show their natural form in the secondary pictures. 

You can either post your character sheet in this thread or PM them to me and Timeless who is co-gming.  Thank you.

Code ("Character Sheet") Select
[float=right max=45%][center][img height=300]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Portrait_Placeholder.png[/img]
[img height=100]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Portrait_Placeholder.png[/img][img height=100]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Portrait_Placeholder.png[/img][img height=100]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/89/Portrait_Placeholder.png[/img][/center]
[/float]

[b]Name:[/b]
[b]Nickname:[/b] (If any.)
[b]Age:[/b] (Characters need to be over 18 years old.)
[b]Sexuality:[/b]
[b]Blood Status:[/b] (Human, Fae or Fairyblooded)
[b]Ethnicity:[/b]
[b]Occupation/Rank:[/b] (What profession your character is currently in. Does your character own a business? If a pirate, what rank are you on the ship, ie captain, quartermaster, boatswain, rigger, cook etc..)

[b]Height:[/b]
[b]Weight:[/b]
[b]Hair Color:[/b]
[b]Eye Color:[/b]
[b]Distinguishing Features:[/b] (Any scars, tattoos, etc.)
[b]Face Claim:[/b] (Face claims have to be over 18 years old)

[b]Personality:[/b] (List at least five words that would best describe your character and explain the terms further. You can even write a summary of your character's personality instead.)

[b]History:[/b] (Where was your character born? How did your character grow up? How did they end up in Nassau?)

[b]Weapons:[/b] (What weapons does your character normally carry on them, if any.)

[b]Skills/Abilities:[/b] (What is your character good at doing.  And for Fae and Fairblooded, what are you abilities.)

[b]O&Os:[/b]

Faceclaims Reserved:
Rodrigo Santoro
Mads Mikkelsen
Karl Urban
Orlando Bloom
Marton Csokas
David Gandy
Michele "Mia" Alves
Meghann Preddy
Sobhita Dhulipala
Vincent Von Thien
Toby Schmitz
Natalie Dormer
Shane Strickland
Cindy Kimberly
Brenton Thwaites
Donnie Yen
Freya Allen

Revna

Sara Nilsson

QuoteThese humans that were now declared agents of Satan were called Fairyblooded among the

I think you are missing a piece there.

Tentative interest

Kakihara

Quote from: Wicked Emi on January 26, 2024, 08:43:02 PMYup!!!!
How many posts per week are you wanting?
Well I am aiming for freeform sandbox so it would probably be one or two post a week though groups of writers may post a lot more when in smaller cadres.

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on January 26, 2024, 09:09:52 PMI think you are missing a piece there.

Tentative interest
Danka for the catch.

Revna

Quote from: Kakihara on January 26, 2024, 09:33:46 PMWell I am aiming for freeform sandbox so it would probably be one or two post a week though groups of writers may post a lot more when in smaller cadres.

Heck yeah! Well, if you ever move it to actual interest sign me up for at least three characters. I would have one more main character, preferably a quartermaster with an interest in a madam attempting to either move all the way up to head madam or her right hand woman. Lastly, I would be interested in a Pirate Lord. I am very good at playing more than one character and 3 is my max but I would LOVE to play this game.

Let me know where it goes!~ <3

Timeless

Quote from: Wicked Emi on January 26, 2024, 09:54:31 PMWhile true, I still would want to know how much he likes in a group game so I can truly judge if I would be interested or not :)

That quote by Sara was not directed at you, but to Kakihara, mind you.

Anyways, planting my interest flag.

>-> Darn you and your ideas..

Revna

Quote from: Timeless on January 26, 2024, 10:10:16 PMThat quote by Sara was not directed at you, but to Kakihara, mind you.

Anyways, planting my interest flag.

>-> Darn you and your ideas..
Oh SNAP! You are right!!

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on January 26, 2024, 09:09:52 PMTentative interest

I'm sooo sorry for my misunderstanding!!

Sara Nilsson

Pffff nothing to be sorry about :)

Though, if you want to kiss and make up ^^ giggles

GnothiSeauton

Sign me the hell up.
If I can't have you, my love...  I'll destroy you
~World Building Workshop ~ Current Ideas and Requests  ~
~ Preferences ~ Status  ~ Nightmares and Inspirations~
~Gnothi's Stories Without Homes~
A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies... The man who never reads lives only one.

Seeking New Stories

DeformedCatholic

Oh snap this really tickles my fancy. I’d be in. And no one judge me if my character just ends up being Stede Bonnet (which I guess means I’m also open to playing BlackBeard lol). 

shengami

*plants flag of interest*

I have an idea for a Pirate Lord.

EDIT: Edward Teach for sure. I was inspired after finding Taika Waititi playing the guy. Have an idea for a play on his mythology by him dealing with salamanders and other fire spirits.
Am I on the hunt for a story? - Not especially...
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

FyreFoxx

Current Status: CLOSED
 Den of Iniquity (O/O) Updated Aug 19, 2023
 What does the Foxx say? (A/A) Updated Oct 1, 2023
 Scrolls and Shinies (Story Cafe) Inactive

mainsnoires

Planting a definitive flag of interest for this, great concept !

Kakihara

Well definitely seems like we have enough interest so I'll work on getting a character sheet up as well as some more world info to help with the processes of creating and filling out the world.

Revna

Quote from: Kakihara on January 27, 2024, 01:01:48 PMWell definitely seems like we have enough interest so I'll work on getting a character sheet up as well as some more world info to help with the processes of creating and filling out the world.
Fuck yeah!!!

I'm sooo excited!! I've literally been craving pirates!

DeformedCatholic

Quote from: Wicked Emi on January 27, 2024, 01:11:20 PMFuck yeah!!!

I'm sooo excited!! I've literally been craving pirates!
Same! And there's only a handful of pirate TTRPGs that also incorporate supernatural elements, to I love that element here.

Revna

Quote from: DeformedCatholic on January 27, 2024, 01:42:28 PMSame! And there's only a handful of pirate TTRPGs that also incorporate supernatural elements, to I love that element here.
Yesss!! I'm happy to see the pirate community! Such a fun time to play with! Plus, the supernatural element is chefs kiss 🤌

Sara Nilsson

Kuroneko

Ons & Offs//Requests//Where is the Black Cat?
Current Posting Time - Once a Week or More

"One should either be a work of art, or wear a work of art" ~ Oscar Wilde
"I dream of painting and then I paint my dream" ~ Vincent Van Gogh

Kakihara

Quote from: Kuroneko on January 27, 2024, 03:16:34 PMAlso potentially interested, thinking about Jack Rackam.
Noted.  I don't think anyone has expressed interest in Calico Jack.

Quote from: DeformedCatholic on January 27, 2024, 01:42:28 PMSame! And there's only a handful of pirate TTRPGs that also incorporate supernatural elements, to I love that element here.
Quote from: Wicked Emi on January 27, 2024, 01:59:24 PMYesss!! I'm happy to see the pirate community! Such a fun time to play with! Plus, the supernatural element is chefs kiss 🤌
Yeah while I love historical stories I feel like historical group games can wain a bit without a bit of supernatural spice.  Or maybe I'm just bent that way as I all too often have to add some touch to straight ideas. lol

DeformedCatholic

Quote from: Kakihara on January 27, 2024, 04:39:13 PMYeah while I love historical stories I feel like historical group games can wain a bit without a bit of supernatural spice.  Or maybe I'm just bent that way as I all too often have to add some touch to straight ideas. lol
I think there's also some narrative flexibility allowed which makes it nice.  Do you need to travel quickly between cities without losing three months in travel time? Boom, there's a portal.  Do you want your character to have enhanced strength or speed? Here's a mystical ancestry, or a nice potion.  Why did <any particular story thing> happen? A wizard did it. 

shengami

Oh, excited to see this progressing. Pirates + Fae = neat. Also sort of interested in the political side of things.

Still meaning to do something with Edward Teach and Hermetic Magic. And managing his own little slice of paradise.

Quote from: Sara Nilsson on January 27, 2024, 02:04:42 PMAlways need more pirate booty *nodnod*
Any and all 'pirate booty' puns can and will be fully appreciated in my corner of the world. Also, the pirate booty itself may also receive some love.
Am I on the hunt for a story? - Not especially...
O/os
My General LFGs
Canon LFGs
My Poetry Thread

FyreFoxx

Quote from: shengami on January 27, 2024, 06:04:33 PMOh, excited to see this progressing. Pirates + Fae = neat. Also sort of interested in the political side of things.

Still meaning to do something with Edward Teach and Hermetic Magic. And managing his own little slice of paradise.
Any and all 'pirate booty' puns can and will be fully appreciated in my corner of the world. Also, the pirate booty itself may also receive some love.

Oh, you'll get plenty of pirate booty from my side of things. *smiles innocently*

I love a good swashbuckler and I adore fae related things, so double yes. While briefly mentioned in private, I plan on possibly being Shen's quartermaster to his fiery Blackbeard. Firebeard? Blackfire? Hmm....
 Current Status: CLOSED
 Den of Iniquity (O/O) Updated Aug 19, 2023
 What does the Foxx say? (A/A) Updated Oct 1, 2023
 Scrolls and Shinies (Story Cafe) Inactive

Revna

Quote from: Kakihara on January 27, 2024, 04:39:13 PMNoted.  I don't think anyone has expressed interest in Calico Jack.
Yeah while I love historical stories I feel like historical group games can wain a bit without a bit of supernatural spice.  Or maybe I'm just bent that way as I all too often have to add some touch to straight ideas. lol
I know you have yet to make the sheets, but do you have a cap on how many characters one person can play?

Kakihara

Quote from: Wicked Emi on January 27, 2024, 09:33:46 PMI know you have yet to make the sheets, but do you have a cap on how many characters one person can play?
I'm tinkering with the sheet so hopefully should have it don and up by tomorrow.  I typically start in these type of games with a limit of three and then will revisit down the road.